Carmelo Anthony

Would you trade for Melo to get a first and second round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would you trade for Melo to get a first and a second pick?

Sac trades
Shumper

For

Okc
Melo
1st round pick
2nd round pick

Why the Kings do this?
Yeah I know Melo sucks. That is not the main reason here the picks are.

Why the Thunder does?
They save tons of money. Like a lot.

Problem is Melo I believe has a no-trade clause , so if he doesn't want to play in Sacto he can say no to the trade

If he thinks starting in sacto and getting minutes help him get a better contract where he wants next year, maybe
but he can do that in OKC with a play-off team

If OKC buys him out/ or stretches him, he can then sign cheap for another contender - Houston?

Either way I don't think he comes here, The no-trade clause kills this proposed trade
If he approved and we got the picks - then yes with our need for a SF I would do it

What other cap space for bad contract gets us the picks and a starting SF

If OKC needs tax relief they can send us Andre Roberson 6'7" G-F , we can absorb his 10 mil into our cap space - no picks needed

LOL like that's gonna happen

Like I said Melo is not the point it is the picks. I would buy him out as soon as he comes over
His buyout prob wouldn't be cheap and the picks (if they even give us more than 1) will be late picks. Basically 2 second rounders. If we wanted a deal like that we could have gotten Chandler deal.

His buyout prob wouldn't be cheap and the picks (if they even give us more than 1) will be late picks. Basically 2 second rounders. If we wanted a deal like that we could have gotten Chandler deal.
No one pick will be still in the first round which is still better than the chandler deal. What else would we use our cap space on?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
2021 first will be a good year to take a first. But since it is in the future a bit I'd ask for at least 2 plus a pick swap option in between. They are going to be in luxury cap hell and we are doing them one hell of a solid. Word is they will be stretching Carmelo this would get them out of a lot of trouble.

2021 first will be a good year to take a first. But since it is in the future a bit I'd ask for at least 2 plus a pick swap option in between. They are going to be in luxury cap hell and we are doing them one hell of a solid. Word is they will be stretching Carmelo this would get them out of a lot of trouble.
Yeah we save them 50 million dollars. I don't see why we wouldn't do it

Those okc picks will be late....it’s just not worth it. I’d rather get a young vet to grow with this team, not another rook.
Depends on what they give. Their own picks will certainly not be too rosy, but I don't know if they have any other picks stocked away. Also, even with Melo, they are probably the 5th best team in the west (Ws and Rockets are certainly above them. Lakers might be, and Spurs tend to find ways. If they are able to retain Kawhi, or get something decent in return for him, they might end up being better than OKC. We also have to see how Utah develops this year). So, the pick might be in the low 20s, which is not too bad.

Moreover, if they do send us 2 of their own picks, they will be in 2019, and 2021. Who knows how they will be 3 years from now? Teams like Suns and hopefully us, will be looking to leapfrog them.

Draft picks always have value, either as players, or as trade chips. If we trade Shump for Melo, as has been proposed (theoretical, given the no-trade clause, etc.), we don't lose anything in terms of assets (the owners need to shell out an added 17M of course. Thunder may cover part of it from their 50M savings), retain our space for next year, and get two first round picks.

Melo has some issues, and needs the ball. That said, he's an established star, a strong scoring option that the team needs, and someone who gives the team some credibility in an year we have no incentive to lose. Plus, he plays SF. Not a bad deal overall.

Good idea. I also don't get the "well they aren't lottery picks so..." mentality. Do these people not watch the NBA? Do they not see we took an All Star MVP candidate with the last pick a few years ago in IT? Did they not see a serviceable PG in Mason taken 34th? Did they not watch a guy like Wagner put up 23 points from all over the court, and who has a chance to compete for the starting spot with the Lakers? People act like if it isn't in the top 15, it is worthelss, and that is simply idiotic thinking. Even if the team doesn't intend to use those selections, they help facilitate other deals! They are chips on your side of the table that can keep you in the game, and with the team's cap space, they should use their advantage to get more chips in their pot.

If the Kings are soooo focused on developing their young core not sure how a ball-hogging' black hole like Carmelo fits into the picture at all, especially on a one year rental or even half year (trade at deadline).
It is a deal to get draft assets by absorbing a bad contract. Melo will likely be bought out or ride the bench.

It is a deal to get draft assets by absorbing a bad contract. Melo will likely be bought out or ride the bench.
Yeah I get that... just have a bad feeling about seeing Carmelo in a Kings uniform.

I just don't see OKC offering enough value for the Kings to absorb his ludicrous contract.

Yeah I get that... just have a bad feeling about seeing Carmelo in a Kings uniform.

I just don't see OKC offering enough value for the Kings to absorb his ludicrous contract.
It is highly unlikely he ever suits up for the team. They will probably have a buyout agreement on the table before the deal is even done, and that's for any team that makes a deal that isn't a contender.

It is highly unlikely he ever suits up for the team. They will probably have a buyout agreement on the table before the deal is even done, and that's for any team that makes a deal that isn't a contender.
Just don't see the value. Not sure what OKC can offer to hamstring the Kings for the entire season to eat that cap space.

In other words, this FO hasn't exactly made any good cap deals, bad track record...

Just don't see the value. Not sure what OKC can offer to hamstring the Kings for the entire season to eat that cap space.

In other words, this FO hasn't exactly made any good cap deals, bad track record...
Picks. The team has no first rounder this season due to previous deals, and the team will be in the lottery again, so getting a pick ensures some assets.

I really don't see the argument here for using cap space on a player. This team isn't winning games until the young guys mature, so we are talking another two years at least in the lottery. That's two years of a three or four year contract that are literally wasted. Why not use the cap space to acquire draft assets during the losing period so that when the team is ready to compete, we will have both the cap space and draft assets to make deals?

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
ESPN Sources with @Royce Young: Oklahoma City, Carmelo Anthony will part ways this summer, likely saving team over $100M. Thunder working with 'Melo's reps on exits that include trade, stretch provision. Story: es.pn/2KPKxC8

Consensus seems to be fakers or rockets
They would probably just stretch him, so they don't need to take back salary and give up a first rounder. I think the money they save in a stretch vs taking back salary in a trade would be pretty close.