Can we just fire Adelman now instead of waiting until the end of the season???

ILV said:
Adelman picked his nose twice during his post game interview...off with his head! That was gross.
Hey Hey ho ho Adelman picked his nose so hes gotta go.....

Hey Hey ho ho Adelman picked his nose so hes gotta go.....;)

I would also like to see a coach who can develop younger players as well. I'm pretty sure that every draft pick we have had since the Adelman era is no longer on the roster except for our current one and he has had a DNP-coaches decision for the last few games. This kid needs to get some minutes and not playing him is ridiculous.

Ryle said:
I would also like to see a coach who can develop younger players as well. I'm pretty sure that every draft pick we have had since the Adelman era is no longer on the roster except for our current one and he has had a DNP-coaches decision for the last few games. This kid needs to get some minutes and not playing him is ridiculous.
Was Peja a draft pick in the Adelman era, or was he picked the year before? Just curious.

As for Kevin Martin, the kid has had his chances, and he's apparently not cutting it if he's beaten out by Barnes and Evans, to relative journeymen compared to Martin. My guess is that Martin needs to be eating six steaks per day and hitting the weights like crazy to develop some heft and strength to go with his game. I'm not troubled in the least by him sitting on the bench. If he could run any portion of the offense, he'd be in the game.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ryle said:
That's always a good goal in theory, and one I have been in favor of in years past. But which minutes would those be, in particular while we are struggling to find ourselves? In the last few preseason games and in his limited minutes so far, Martin has not looked good. When you're fighting the best teams in the NBA on their home floors and you're not playing well its not the time to experimenting with unproven rooks.

Barnes, another young guy, is eating up Martin's minutes right now. Hard to disagree with that the way he's playing. And we've had exactly zero minutes of garbagetime thus far -- always in a dogfight or playing catchup.

Last edited:
Give Adelman about 5 more games. If he comes out with 1 or 2 victories I think its about time for a coaching change. Its been only 3 games. I agree that we've had injuries, but losing against a team in Houston thats also trying to gel and playing the night before is really no excuse. What frustrates me is the fact that we never really do good in back-to-backs, we tire too easy. I think playing at home we should win. We are due for a win. If we don't beat Toronto (regardless of their 3-0 mark) I will begin to worry.

Did you guys notice how easy some of those Ward shots were? No one covering him. But when we came back every single shot seemed to be worked hard for with defenders on your face. What the hell is going on? is it Adelman or the players that are just not executing?

Kingsgurl said:
3 games into the season isn't the time to make that decision, especially given the wacked out pre-season and the fact the team has played progressively better each game.
Agreed!
And to think, we played these first three games AWAY! How many seasons had we had problems with the dreaded "TEXAS TRIANGLE"? And this season it was our 1st 3 games.

Are there other teams who started their 1st 3 games AWAY this season?
:eek:

Kingballer said:
Agreed!
And to think, we played these first three games AWAY! How many seasons had we had problems with the dreaded "TEXAS TRIANGLE"? And this season it was our 1st 3 games.

Are there other teams who started their 1st 3 games AWAY this season?
:eek:
Houston did and the game they played against us was their 4th in 5 inghts.

I think it is obvious that Texas teams are better than last year (even though I'm not sold on Yao - McGrady experiment), but still, when was the last time the Kings lost all three games on TT ?

Not unusual for us to go 1-2 on that trip, in the middle of the season, with things clicking. Easily should have done that on this one. Ward was open because the defense was challenging someone else to be the one to beat us, rather than the red hot Ming or McGrady, who up until that point had scored almost every point for Houston in that 4th quarter. You pay when you double down on guys IF the guy you are doubling off of hits his shot.
Kevin will be fine, at least Adelman is communicating with him about his playing time, and what he needs to do, which I don't think is always the case.

KingKong said:
If we fire him now, who will we have for the rest of the season to pick.....on
Phil Jackson. He likes Webb's game but I'm sure other Kings fans would rather pick someone else than getting a coach that called them half civilized people :D.

IMO, sometimes we need to forget a lil bit about the past and move on...

I just look at Rick Adelman as if he's the Mack Brown (Texas Longhorns coach for those not up with college football) of the NBA. Always named as one of the best coaches with an extremely talented squad. Yet completely implodes in the big games. I mean Adelman is 2-4 in elimination games and 0-4 in game 7s (and game 5 of the '99-'00 series with the Jazz).

I understand that this Kings franchise has been plagued by losing it's whole entire existence and it's better to fight and almost win than not to fight at all and lose. Well, I'm sorry, but I still look at that as a loser mentality. It shows that we are still, in the end, comfortable losing. Why not take the risk of getting a coach who has that hard skin and put some toughness in these Kings players? A coach who plays to win instead of playing not to lose?

Perhaps it is time for a coaching change in Sacramento. If the Kings management are seriously contemplating it though, they better have a committed replacement with a proven track record of winning in the NBA.

JonBoy418 said:
I understand that this Kings franchise has been plagued by losing it's whole entire existence and it's better to fight and almost win than not to fight at all and lose. Well, I'm sorry, but I still look at that as a loser mentality. It shows that we are still, in the end, comfortable losing. Why not take the risk of getting a coach who has that hard skin and put some toughness in these Kings players? A coach who plays to win instead of playing not to lose?

Well said

Bricklayer

JonBoy418 said:
Bcause that's far easier to say than do -- empty words for the most part. The single toughest "hard" coach in the NBA right now is probably Jerry Sloan. And his record looks very similar to Adelman's.

Fact is that at this point you are talking about one of the 20 winningest coaches of ALL TIME in Rick Adelman. And of all the guys ahead of him on the list (he's 18th) only FOUR of them actually have a higher winning % (Auerbach, Riley, Sloan, Jackson). He's also 10th all-time in playoff coaching victories. The guy wins a LOT.

You can hire a new coach if you want, but the fact of the matter is that you're replacing one of the more successful coaches ever to step on the floor. You MIGHT find the semi-mythical "champsionhsip coach" somehow unemployed and unappreciated out there. But 9 out of 10 prospective NBA coaches can't even hold Adelman's jock. Makes very little sense to take that sort of risk in the middle of a championship run with a team and system built around this coach. We have been as close as you can possibly be without winning it. There are basically ZERO coaches with bragging rights over Rick Adelman who aren't already wearing a ring.

RoyalDiva said:
Too bad we don't have the archive from last season, you could just copy-and-paste the same fire-the-coach rebuttals into this thread!
Probably because it's the same problems we have talked about during his tenure???

Bricklayer

RoyalDiva said:
Too bad we don't have the archive from last season, you could just copy-and-paste the same fire-the-coach rebuttals into this thread!
It bears repeating. ;)

We are living the Life of Riley, and seem painfully unaware of it at times.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
peja16 -RD said the rhetoric would be repeated, and I agree.

Some Kings fans will always find someone to place the blame on for anything less than a championship season, as if it has - somehow - become an unalienable right for Sacramento to win the O'Brien trophy.

One league, 30 teams, one winner. Looks like 29 teams are gonna come up short every single year and 29 groups of fans are going to be screaming about something.

If the solution to solving all a team's woes was as easy as just changing coaches, life (and NBA basketball) would be a lot simpler. It's not that easy, though. Look at all the teams who's coaching changes resemble revolving doors. They didn't have as good a coach to begin with as we already have. There just aren't a lot of championship-calibre coaches hanging from Coach Tree limbs...waiting to be picked.

;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
peja16 said:
And you know this for certain somehow.
Yes, as a matter of fact, we do; it's all part of being a fan, and like it or not, complaining is simply the way that some people appreciate the game. No one on this earth is perfect, and some people aren't happy until they let everyone around them know precisely how imperfect someone else is...

Every fan of every team that doesn't win the championship is going to complain, all the time, especially if they think that their team "should have" won, and even some fans of the team that does win the championship is going to find something to complain about...

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Yes, as a matter of fact, we do; it's all part of being a fan, and like it or not, complaining is simply the way that some people appreciate the game. No one on this earth is perfect, and some people aren't happy until they let everyone around them know precisely how imperfect someone else is...

Every fan of every team that doesn't win the championship is going to complain, all the time, especially if they think that their team "should have" won, and even some fans of the team that does win the championship is going to find something to complain about...
Having been on other NBA team's forums, I concur. They all moan and whine about needing to fire the coach as well, year after year, no matter what the circumstances.

It's like an automatic formula that is just plugged in at the beginning and end of each season.

VF21-you said it perfectly!!

RoyalDiva said:
Having been on other NBA team's forums, I concur. They all moan and whine about needing to fire the coach as well, year after year, no matter what the circumstances.

It's like an automatic formula that is just plugged in at the beginning and end of each season.
:rolleyes:

All 3 of you misinterpreted me and are looking too much into a simple statement.

People are not moaning that how the team is playing after 3 games. People moan that Adelman's teams make the same mistakes year after year, and melt down under pressure all the time. There is no human being on the planet who can say PJ's teams are not tougher and more poised than Adelman's teams.

Few teams have the talent and chances we have had these past few years, and we blew it every single time. Unless you give the next coach the exact same circumstances, there would be no moaning about "constant failures", at least for another 5 years of meltdowns.

If we got a coach, and won a title based on clutch postseason play, there would be no "whining" as you put it. You're just looking for an easy answer as usual.