Can we just fire Adelman now instead of waiting until the end of the season???

Why you don't use a time out at the end of regulation to set up the last shot is just another in the long line of Adelmans screw ups. Same problems that we have had for the past few years. We get a 15 point lead in the 3rd and we lose it to a team playing their 4th game in 5 nights.

Agreed.

My last post in the game thread:

--------

Was there anyone on the plant who DIDN'T predict Bibby would run off a Miller pick and scramble for a Webber shot? Anybody?

Remember when Rick Adelman ran a play in game 3 vs Minnesota to "give Peja the ball and hope for the best"? Does Rick Adelman know how to run a play? Does he know a "play" is?

-------

I think Rick Adelman has surpassed Isiah Thomas in the "I have NO idea what the hell is going on" blank stare tally. Either that or he's complaining to the referee in the midst of an opponent's run.

This was the only of the three games I saw this season. Did the Kings actually run any plays in Dallas or SA? Or did all the shots consists of Peja shooting over 3 guys while fading left, Bibby with a long two, and Webber at the top of the key after a pump fake?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I am fine with this loss. We played well. Just could not shoot. But the thing swe copmplain about -- rebounding, defense, were addressed. Good enough. Now we go home and get healthy.

A cold touch is not always the cause of poor shooting nights. Right now, we aren't running any plays. There are no "good" shots. Every shot is ugly and contested. As on fire as Bibby was, do you think he'll be hitting those contested long 2's night in and out? And doi you think Brad Miller will hit those long twos against every defender in the league?

You can't just rely on getting hot and carrying through games. You don't get hot against the Spurs. You run plays, execute, and hit your open shots. Their defense will kill us at this point.

The Kings final two plays (regulation and OT) were straight out of the usual Adelman playbook. When even Grant Napier is wondering what the heck the Kings are doing (last play in regulation), that's trouble. Adelman can't be blamed for many of the Kings' woes (like their horrid bench) but when EVERY one of his teams, EVERY year, executes poorly down the stretch, there's clearly an unavoidable theme occuring.

Stojakovic said:
It's Adelman's fault alright.

He made Chris and Peja combine for 17-47 shooting tonight. No doubt.
These excuses are lame.

It's about being prepared and knowing when to make adjustements and Adelman has never been able to do this.

Chris still pulled down 12 boards and dished out 7 assists while Peja actually played some pretty good D on McGrady. I still harken back to game 7 last year when this team came out and basically played like it was a pre-season game.....that is a direct reflection on the coach and how he prepares them.

P.S.....I can't believe I actually agree with RangerC on something....

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
This is going to be a looooong season. With 79 regular season games left to play, the fire the coach threads have already started. {{sigh}}

Bricklayer

Ryle said:
These excuses are lame.

It's about being prepared and knowing when to make adjustements and Adelman has never been able to do this.

Chris still pulled down 12 boards and dished out 7 assists while Peja actually played some pretty good D on McGrady. I still harken back to game 7 last year when this team came out and basically played like it was a pre-season game.....that is a direct reflection on the coach and how he prepares them.

The fact we keep on forcing Game 7s is a direct reflection on the coach too. I mean we could, for instance, have a coach who's teams repeatedly collapse out of the playoffs and lose 4 straight games. Of course, if we did, we'd be coached by Gregg Popovich, who's only won 2 titles.

Instead we've got a guy who's teams fight down to the bitter end. I'll take it.

Fighting to the bitter end is great, but fighting only to lose sucks and that's what has happened with the Kings year after year. Adelman's entire coaching career can be summed up in one word..."almost." He almost won a title or two in Portland...He almost got the Kings over the top.

Ryle said:
These excuses are lame.

I made this preparation point a few days ago in reference to the Kings game vs. the Spurs when, in a pseudo-similar situation, Don Nelson was telling his team that opening another team's season after your team has already had a game is a good situation to get a win in. My guess is that was not Adelman's take heading into the Spurs game, and the Spurs as an opponent give a decent reason for that, but that's no reason to be ill-prepared, and the Kings probably were ill-prepared heading into that Spurs game. Not to mention the fact that when were the Spurs a team for the Kings to really fear? Last season? No. Season before last. No. Sure, they are one of the toughest opponents, but if these Kings are supposedly capable of competing for a WC championship, then going and taking one from the Spurs on their opening night shouldn't be that big of a deal. Unless the Kings have already accepted that they've fallen a notch in competitiveness, that is.

Granted, a coach can't block out for his players, and the Spurs killed us on the boards. At least the Kings "solved" that problem against the Rockets (although I'd wager that the Rockets won't be an offensive rebounding juggernaut this year anyway), but it's still frustrating to be able to even point to not being prepared as a reason for losing at this point. This group has been together for quite some time...they should be past this issue.

Bricklayer

Diabeticwonder said:
Fighting to the bitter end is great, but fighting only to lose sucks and that's what has happened with the Kings year after year. Adelman's entire coaching career can be summed up in one word..."almost." He almost won a title or two in Portland...He almost got the Kings over the top.
fighting only to lose is infinitely better than NOT fighting and losing anyway.

I know exactly what the Kings were before Adelman and I admit that Adelman has done a great job with this team. However, Adelman can't quite get this team over the next hurdle. I completely agree that Adelman has done more for the Kings than any other coach in team history, but with the talent that has been on the roster since he has been here this team should have achieved more. The Kings have 3 former all-stars (Webb, Peja, Brad), 4 if you count last year with Vlade, an Olympian (Mike), a 1st team all defensive player (Doug), and a former 6th man of the year(Bobby). If that's not enough talent to get the job done then I'm missing something. Sure, the Kings will right this ship and get on the winning track, or at least I hope, but I just don't think that Adelman has what it takes to get this team to the next level.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I think that just about everyone agrees that Adelman probably won't be back if we don't win this year. Having said that, I do believe that he should be allowed to coach to the end of the season at least.

that's just nervous gesture. you know, some people sway back and forth, some people tap the shoes, adelman picks his nose :D

oh yeah, b4 i forgot, bibby speaks in an increasing pitch...

ILV said:
Adelman picked his nose twice during his post game interview...off with his head! That was gross.

If the Kings can't get this thing turned around then why keep Adelman til the end of the season? Coaching changes during the season have proved as of late to be a good thing. Look at the Houston Astros with Phil Garner, Florida Marlins with Jack McKeon, the Nets with Lawrence Frank. Sometimes change is a good thing. However I would like to see Adelman get this thing on the right track so he can finish what he started, but if he can't then a change even during the season may be a great thing.

Bricklayer

Diabeticwonder said:
If the Kings can't get this thing turned around then why keep Adelman til the end of the season? Coaching changes during the season have proved as of late to be a good thing. Look at the Houston Astros with Phil Garner, Florida Marlins with Jack McKeon, the Nets with Lawrence Frank. Sometimes change is a good thing. However I would like to see Adelman get this thing on the right track so he can finish what he started, but if he can't then a change even during the season may be a great thing.
So far as I can recall a mid-season coaching change has not resulted in an NBA championship in...well, maybe forever. Could have happened somewhere back there in the 70's or something. But it would be incredibly rare.

In the NBA its normally continuity which matters, whether with players or coaches. If the sole determinant of this season is whether we win a championship or not, ripping up the team from the top isn't the way to get there.

Truly it seems Kings fans have gotten really spoiled by just how good and consistent we've been. Teams lose three in a row. All the time actually. We don't -- we've been incredibly resilient. That's a CREDIT to Adelman/the team. Put it this way, the Spurs started last season 10-10. San Antonio's response was NOT to fire one of the winningest coaches in the NBA. Slumps are going to happen. Not a time to freak out.

Last edited:
peja16 said:
San Antonio also won the championship the year before, with less talent than the Kings.
Yeah, just from observation, it helps when your key player, who was playing out of his mind, doesn't go down with a knee injury in middle of the playoffs

Brick-Point well taken and I would love to see Adelman coach this team to a title and I know that 0-3 doesn't mean that the Kings can't win it all this year. However, I personally don't believe that Adelman can get this team over the top. I would love for him to prove me wrong, but from what I have seen from him on a night in night out basis I just don't see it happening. As to getting rid of him during the season...if the Kings aren't getting it done with him then why not try something different because this team clearly has the talent to win a title.

3 games into the season isn't the time to make that decision, especially given the wacked out pre-season and the fact the team has played progressively better each game.

Bricklayer

Diabeticwonder said:
Brick-Point well taken and I would love to see Adelman coach this team to a title and I know that 0-3 doesn't mean that the Kings can't win it all this year. However, I personally don't believe that Adelman can get this team over the top. I would love for him to prove me wrong, but from what I have seen from him on a night in night out basis I just don't see it happening. As to getting rid of him during the season...if the Kings aren't getting it done with him then why not try something different because this team clearly has the talent to win a title.
People say that, and maybe we do, maybe we don't. I'd like to think we do. But we've never looked like any championsip team of the modern era (dating back to the entry of Bird/Magic into the league). Never had the unstoppable player (Where is our Michael? Our Magic? Our Bird? Hakeem? Duncan?). Only one year had the amazing defense. And of course there are the injuries -- nobody EVER wins with injuries either (significant ones).

What I do know is this -- Rick Adelman has coached this team (not just this Kings team but this entire style of team, deep offensive talent without a single dominant all time great player) as well as anybody has ever coached it so far as I can remember. Nobody has ever won with a team like this (again modern era, some weird/middling teams won in the 70's, so who knows). But Rick is the one guy who has consistently gotten this style of team knocking on the door. The odds of tossing a coach of his caliber mid-season and bringing in some new guy and having him miraculously pull it off are very very slim. Basically it hasn't been proven it CAN be pulled off by anybody. Let alone a guy brought in mid year.

So you play it out. As many teams have shown over the years -- lakers in '01, Pistons last year, seemingly Spurs every year -- its not how you start, its how you finish. Unless we are actually going to fall out of the playoff race and decide to rebuild, we aren't going to be sure where we stand until we see how we are playing in April. Heck, last year we completely collapsed late and still were right in the mix come playoff time. Another Game 7 nailbiter against the team with the best record in the West. We're just not going to know until the season's over. And frankly these guys have earned that time. They've been an elite team for as long as any team in the league now except San Antonio. They deserve once last chance to make it happen on the court. We come up short, plenty of time to tear it down during the offseason.