can we get christie back

at least for one more year. his time in the league is almost up. he missed the end of the season becuase he had to get surgery a month after we traded him. i think we should bring him back for 1 more run. that would solve our 2 guard problem right now and keep the princeton offense alive.

Gary

All-Star
I have been wanting this for a long time. This could be a way to give us time to develop our younger guards. He could act as a mentor, and could come off the bench in clutch situations. I think he could still play a role as a bench player on your team when we need some stops late in the game.

i was thinking he would go back to the starting lineup. martin, garcia and evans can continue to develop. yeah, why not?

miller, doug, peja, mike. pretty much the same guys that couldve won it in 02 and 03. however our PF problems are still bothering us.

T

thesanityannex

we'd have like 5 two guards then. christie the least athletic of all of them. no thanks.

Gary

All-Star
Ryle said:
No thanks.....
Why?

Would you not want him to come off the bench for defensive purposes? Mentoring our younger guards in the fine skill of defense? Hell, if we lose Mobley why not go after Christie?

Gary said:
Why?

Would you not want him to come off the bench for defensive purposes? Mentoring our younger guards in the fine skill of defense? Hell, if we lose Mobley why not go after Christie?
Maybe Chrisitie has regained some athleticism since his surgery, but he had a giant fork sticking out of his back last year. He wasn't even playing good defense. I love everything Christie has done for the Kings over the years, but there's no way I'd use part of the MLE or the $1.5 m exception on him.

Last edited:

Gary

All-Star
I think his defense played a major part in our successful seasons we had here. Christie could still be helpful in teaching our young guys the intricacies of a fine defensive team we all hope for next year.

Gary said:
I think his defense played a major part in our successful seasons we had here. Christie could still be helpful in teaching our young guys the intricacies of a fine defensive team we all hope for next year.
That is what a defensive assistant is for. We do not need Doug.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gary said:
I don't know anymore -- you could just hire him as an assistant coach if that's what you wanted from him. In the end, young guys need minutes to develop, and every minute given to a 35 yr old guy well past his prime is really kind of a wasted minute for us at this point. Not going to win a title with him anymore than the young guys. Especially with 2 kids, and maybe even a third if Evans returned, Doug could end up just being in the way, and being a too easy crutch for the coaches to fall back on. Be better for the kids to get 20min+ a night each of NBA action than 10min while being "mentored".

I love Doug probably more than any other King because of his "never quit" attitude. I think he's the best Role Model ever to wear the Kings uniform. How many times did he recover from a bonehead play to make a BIG play - because he never stood there hanging his head. Awesome.

But I think he's wired a little too tight, and he's got that wierd Jackie thing going on... don't think I'd hire him as a coach because he's just a little bit too strange to command the respect of the players. But maybe he could relate to them better than I think. I feel he kind of isolated himself from his bros with the Jackie antics.

He also would be a distraction as the 10th-12th guy on the team - especially in a town where there is constant clamoring to give the rookies more PT.

So there's no role for him. Too bad - he was a great person to have on a team.

O

ONEZERO

that would be the worst move we could make. how many sg's do we need? thats it already. we cant keep fantasizing about webb and christie coming back. its over. i guess not winning that championship has many of us wanting that team to be back together so bad. he was great for us, but right now he would take up space. so no thanks.

but why do most kings fans want to give the rookies more playing time? im not sweatin the rookies. phil jackson never won rings by playing rookies. larry brown and the pistons drafted the number 2 darko milicic. this guy was drafted before carmello anthony and he hasn't seen minutes. i think the beginning of the season is a perfect time for our rookies to grow and if we can't find a go to shooting guard then we should stay with our experienced players. obviously our rookies have not played big minutes because they could'nt get it done. wade, anthony, jordan, lebron, kobe, duncan etc, were all instant success stories. then again they were all 1st round top 10 picks.

Last edited:
F

Fillmoe

guys we want to move forward not backward..... think with ur heads and not with ur hearts..... christie is 37 years old and fresh off of surgery..... we want to develop our young guys

as an assistant? yes

as a very low payed backup? yes

as a medium payed backup? no

as long as we dont pay too much money, then sure, have him help us out when we need it. the only prob with taht is that Adelman will feel the need to use him over the other guys.

O

ONEZERO

kingsfan52miller said:
ya we should bring christe back i miss him :(
see, that right there is the reason why fans want him back. sure most of us miss him, but do any of u guys actually think he will help us? i dont think so. like filmoe said, we need to move forwards, not backwards.

Christie is on my all time favorite list. I do not think that I still have really gotten over his being traded. I even think trading him had as big of, if not bigger, impact than the Webber trade. However, I would not bring him back as a starting player. I am still undecided about bringing him in as a bench player or assistant coach. I do think he is a good locker room presence and would be great mentor for the "kids." Until he went to the Magic, there were never any complaints about him. Webber even said that Doug was the player he respected the most. But, we need all the money, exceptions, and trades we have available to bring in other players. It is time to move forward, not back. We should thank him for what he has meant to us and never forget his contributions to the team, but leave them in the past.

tyrant said:
wade, anthony, jordan, lebron, kobe, duncan etc, were all instant success stories. then again they were all 1st round top 10 picks.
Actually, Kobe was neither instant success nor top-10. Dirk and T-Mac also bloomed about their 3rd-4th season in the league, and I'm sure there's others.
The point being, you still need to develop people in the NBA. As Darko has showed, young guys need to get on the floor, and bringing in Doug would only take time away from them.

kperica said:
Actually, Kobe was neither instant success nor top-10. Dirk and T-Mac also bloomed about their 3rd-4th season in the league, and I'm sure there's others.
The point being, you still need to develop people in the NBA. As Darko has showed, young guys need to get on the floor, and bringing in Doug would only take time away from them.

kobe averaged 7 points per game his 1st nba season and DOUBLED that average the following year; then became an all-star 2 years later. that's darn near instant. and dirk was the 9th pick in his hear averaging 8 points. he doubled his average the following year as well.

tyrant said:
kobe averaged 7 points per game his 1st nba season and DOUBLED that average the following year; then became an all-star 2 years later. that's darn near instant. and dirk was the 9th pick in his hear averaging 8 points. he doubled his average the following year as well.
not many people get INSTANT success, and kobe deff dint have it..7 ppg?no, not instant

one guy i can think of off hand who had instant success is LeBron, averaging 22 pts 6 rebs/assists and almost 2 steals

anothers are magic, oscar and jordan

all im saying is, kobe did NOT have instant success, and mostly the legends are the ones how have amazing successs right away

BobbyJ_for3! said:
not many people get INSTANT success, and kobe deff dint have it..7 ppg?no, not instant

one guy i can think of off hand who had instant success is LeBron, averaging 22 pts 6 rebs/assists and almost 2 steals

all im saying is, kobe did NOT have instant success, and mostly the legends are the ones how have amazing successs right away

my point is that our (the kings) rookies and our 2nd or 3rd year players will need more time to develop. the only few that i see that's on the verge of getting better is evans and martin. garcia is still questionable for he looks lost in the summer league games. as for instant success stories, how is kobe not instant success? you talk about lebron and the numbers he put up, but i bet its gonna take him a while to become apart of a championship team. as a matter of fact, how many of the guys you named besides magic have won a championship 3 years into their NBA career?

and mostly the legends are the ones how have amazing successs right away
so players that "don't have instant sucess" ala kobe. will he not be considered a legend when his time has come?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Francisco d'Anconia said:
don't think I'd hire him as a coach because he's just a little bit too strange to command the respect of the players.
I don't think that's exactly correct. They might not agree with his life off the court, but Doug Christie has always had the respect of his teammates for what he brought to the court.

Having said that, I have to agree with Bricklayer. This team is moving on...we have to let go of the Dougs, the Vlades, the Webbers, etc. The only exception I can think of is Matt Barnes, who was caught up in the whole Webber trade to make the numbers work.

Remember Doug as a good part of our past and look forward to see what new magic Geoff Petrie can do...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
tyrant said:
garcia is still questionable for he looks lost in the summer league games.
You might want to consider giving him a little more time to get his feet wet. To say he's questionable at this point is terribly unfair.

As far as Kobe being an instant success or not, who cares?

BobbyJ_for3! said:

Kobe was not a starter for his first couple years..ala Lebron. He was lucky Dull...I mean Dell even let him off the bench. ;)

okay, so you can make some good points. but about the championships, kobe had shaq and phil and other role players (ex: would only have 2 rings if not for that one role player, i think his name waas...Horry...)

all im saying is that i dont think championships within 3 years translates exaclty into instant success....a)you could just get picked by the right time and b)i dont see 3 years as INSTANT success...thats progressive (altho VERY quick) to me.

Yeah I'm (once again) going with Brick on this one. I love Doug and what he did for our team while here. But it's been quite some time since we've had our typical 2001-2003 Dougie. He's still good for his age, but not what we need on our team right now. And I'd rather have our players play for 20mins a night and learn from their own mistakes (like the young cb's on my 49ers team) than to play 10mins a game and get "coached" by another player.

The man named Doug Christie could definitely be brought back to play one last season in a Kings uniform, but the Doug Christie who had his best years with this franchise from 2000-04 can never be brought back. He's in the past, just like most of his teammates from that span.

Kev.in said:
The man named Doug Christie could definitely be brought back to play one last season in a Kings uniform, but the Doug Christie who had his best years with this franchise from 2000-04 can never be brought back. He's in the past, just like most of his teammates from that span.

this is why we cant look back WE ALL LOVE HIM AND MISS ,but time is changing as well we too.:(