Can the Monarchs Pull Off a Playoff Miracle

Why do I get the feeling that, regardless of what the Monarchs' final regular season record will be, that the New York Liberty will be the winner of the draft lottery? :(

It seems that the lottery ball "bounces" in favor of teams that are (1.) laden with star players, or (2.) located in a major media market, which is what New York is. :mad:
Meh, I don't care and Houston fans might beg to differ - they fit both criteria and still fell out of the top 3. As long as the Ms are in the top 3, it's all good AFAIC. There's not that much differential between Sac and NY record-wise and quite honestly, NY could finish below Sac and statistically be in line for a top 3 pick.

More or less the same way the NBA draft works.
what I meant was: so are there 3 teams that get drawn (with the ping pong ball combos) and the rest in reverse order? or is there less teams that get drawn simply because there are less WNBA teams? i.e. what's the worse we could get if we have the worse record in the league?

yes, three lottery winners are drawn from number combinations of the ping pong balls. The other non-playoff teams then will draft in record order. The Monarchs can't draft lower than 5th going in (or 4th depending on what NY does), but should have the best odds to get one of the top three.

I hope for my TV's sake that we don't get screwed in the lottery and fall all the way down to 4th like the Kings....there's only so much yelling and swearing a TV can take ;)

I hope for my TV's sake that we don't get screwed in the lottery and fall all the way down to 4th like the Kings....there's only so much yelling and swearing a TV can take ;)
I would rather have the #4 pick than the #3 pick. The #3 pick in recent years has been cursed (2001 was the last true superstar and Olympian out of the bunch):

2002-Stacey Dales: no words
2003-Cheryl Ford: knee issues, but a three-time champion
2004-Nicole Powell: did not stay with draft team, but is a champion
2005-Sandora Irvin: out of league
2006-Monique Currie: mediocre starter despite being 5th year senior
2007-Armintie Price: precipitous drop from rookie starter to third-year deep bench reserve
2008-Candice Wiggins: 6th man in 2008, knee issues and wildly inconsistent since
2009-Kristi Toliver: seven DNP-CDs so far

2002-Asjha Jones: All-Star, borderline All-WNBA performer, invited to try out for 2010/12 national team
2003-Plenette Pierson: did not stay with draft team, but is a two-time champion and first ever winner of the 6th man award
2004-Lindsay Whalen: All-Star, MVP candidate in 2008, invited to try out for 2010/12 national team
2005-Kendra Wecker: out of league
2006-Sophia Young: All-Star, All-WNBA performer, WNBA Finalist in 2008
2007-Noelle Quinn: Broke Lynx single season assists record (set by Teresa Edwards) as a rookie, rediscovered her shooting touch as a third-year in LA
2008-Alexis Hornbuckle: one of WNBA's best reserves in 2008 (defensively), starter in 2009
2009-Renee Montgomery: on her way to becoming a member of the 2009 All-Rookie team less than six months removed from an undefeated senior season in college, part-time starter

I know which list I'd prefer (if we didn't land the #1 or #2 pick), but to each his own. :D

I would rather have the #4 pick than the #3 pick. The #3 pick in recent years has been cursed (2001 was the last true superstar and Olympian out of the bunch):

2002-Stacey Dales: no words
2003-Cheryl Ford: knee issues, but a three-time champion
2004-Nicole Powell: did not stay with draft team, but is a champion
2005-Sandora Irvin: out of league
2006-Monique Currie: mediocre starter despite being 5th year senior
2007-Armintie Price: precipitous drop from rookie starter to third-year deep bench reserve
2008-Candice Wiggins: 6th man in 2008, knee issues and wildly inconsistent since
2009-Kristi Toliver: seven DNP-CDs so far

2002-Asjha Jones: All-Star, borderline All-WNBA performer, invited to try out for 2010/12 national team
2003-Plenette Pierson: did not stay with draft team, but is a two-time champion and first ever winner of the 6th man award
2004-Lindsay Whalen: All-Star, MVP candidate in 2008, invited to try out for 2010/12 national team
2005-Kendra Wecker: out of league
2006-Sophia Young: All-Star, All-WNBA performer, WNBA Finalist in 2008
2007-Noelle Quinn: Broke Lynx single season assists record (set by Teresa Edwards) as a rookie, rediscovered her shooting touch as a third-year in LA
2008-Alexis Hornbuckle: one of WNBA's best reserves in 2008 (defensively), starter in 2009
2009-Renee Montgomery: on her way to becoming a member of the 2009 All-Rookie team less than six months removed from an undefeated senior season in college, part-time starter

I know which list I'd prefer (if we didn't land the #1 or #2 pick), but to each his own. :D

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind having Stacey sitting at the end of our bench :D