Can Swift turn the Rockets into title contenders?

F

Fillmoe

A Stromile Swift Signing Would Complete The Rockets Line-Up
David Christopher - 12th July, 2005 2:11 PM

In the summer of 1996, after coming home with another Olympic gold medal, Charles Barkley was traded to the Houston Rockets for Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Chucky Brown, and Mark Bryant. The move placed three future hall of famers in the Rockets starting lineup and gave them a significant shot at the title.

Had it not been for a Karl Malone bear-hug-pick on Mario Elie and a John Stockton buzzer beater, the Rockets may have reached their goal and given fans one of the most epic NBA finals of all time with the Rockets going head to head with the Chicago Bulls.

Nine years later, the Rockets find themselves looking for another power forward to push them towards their goal of a third championship. While the Rockets are certainly a different team, now anchored by the youthful Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, many believe they are an athletic forward away from being a title contender. With a signing of Stromile Swift, while by no means is at the level of the “round mound of rebound”, the Houston Rockets will put themselves in position to once again challenge for an NBA championship.

In all of Jeff Van Gundy’s interviews since the Rockets’ playoff exit he has made the point that Houston is in the precarious position where if they stand pat they will lose ground, but if they make a move and ruin the chemistry the team developed late in the season it could be even more detrimental. But to win a championship you have to gamble, you must take risks. Stromile Swift is definitely in that category.

Stromile Swift was chosen with the second pick by the Vancouver Grizzlies in 2000 and to this point in his career has failed to live up to his draft number. In five seasons in the NBA he has averaged just nine points and five rebounds a game. But what is attrating the Rockets the most was the dreaded "p" word that has made so many players before attractive: potential. While he has only averaged nine points and five rebounds, he has only averaged 21 minutes a game as well.

The Rockets believe that given more time he could possibly double his output. In Memphis he played behind Pau Gasol, the tall, whiney version of Hayden Christensen. In Houston he would more than likely start of Juwan Howard and have the responsibility of making up for the toughness and athleticism that Yao Ming currently lacks, which could make the duo a potent combination.

With a frontline of Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, and Stromile Swift, along with the depth that Mike James, Bobby Sura, Luther Head, Juwan Howard, and possibly Dikembe Mutombo and Jon Barry bring, the Rockets would have a solid chance to reclaim the glory that “The Dream” once brought the city of Houston. But destiny is not a matter of chance, it’s a matter of choice, and if Houston is to reach the pinnacle, they will need their players to live up to the “potential” that others have seen in them. Especially Stromile Swift

http://rockets.realgm.com/articles/64/20050712/a_stromile_swift_signing_would_comple_the_rockets_line-up/

Stromile Swift is a nice addition, but hardly will he bring them to a ring. If that Rockets team does manage to win, it will be because Yao develops more and more, not because of Swift. The Heat, Pistons, Suns, and Spurs are all better than that team, and Dallas would still give them hell. An improved Cleveland squad could also give that team a run for its money. A "contender"? Depends on how you define it. That team would be good, and could theoretically beat a lot of teams, but is a far cry from winning a title. If Swift gets real good real fast, and Yao gets better, maybe. Otherwise they still need one more big time player (which Swift is not) to get over the top.

Directly, nothing. But I'm just saying that there are a lot of teams that are as good or better than Houston, which is what you have to consider to say whether or not they are a true contender. Granted, WC teams have a lot more impact, but I'm just saying that Houston is in a class with about 6+ other teams, meaning that they aren't a true contender, at least not in my book.

T

thesanityannex

When Yao decides to sack up, they will be a contender. He is waaaaaaay too soft.

They were already saying just by getting T-mac they were contenders last year, now it's more of the same. T-Mac has to prove he can Sack-up and get out of the 1st round. They would be better with Swift but the west is going to be tough, as always.

KP said:
They were already saying just by getting T-mac they were contenders last year, now it's more of the same. T-Mac has to prove he can Sack-up and get out of the 1st round. They would be better with Swift but the west is going to be tough, as always.
McGrady cannot possibly be portrayed as the Rockets' problem last year. He carried that team. The future rests on Yao improving and adding complementary pieces. In the west, though, I don't think it will happen. Yao will never reach his full potential, and I can't imagine Houston having the flexibility to add a full cast of supporting characters to make them a true conteder.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I do not want to see them get Swift. It would plug a major whole for them and their interior defense begins to get nasty. They already passed us up last year, plug in another young guy with a load of potential and you might have the makings of permanent superiority. Heaven help us if they find a way to add a PG too.

captain bill said:
McGrady cannot possibly be portrayed as the Rockets' problem last year. He carried that team. The future rests on Yao improving and adding complementary pieces. In the west, though, I don't think it will happen. Yao will never reach his full potential, and I can't imagine Houston having the flexibility to add a full cast of supporting characters to make them a true conteder.
It's not just the Rockets it's the Magic too. Look it's obvious the guy has the god given talent to be maybe the best player in the league, but it's been 8 years now... Where are the results? He has stepped up, his playoff avgs. are all better than his regular season numbers but he has to step up even more(show some leadership as the best player on his team) and Lead his team to a couple of playoff series wins, before he deserves the praise people seem to want to give him.

Last edited:
KP said:
It's not just the Rockets it's the Magic too. Look it's obvious the guy has the god given talent to be maybe the best player in the league, but it's been 8 years now... Where are the results? He has stepped up, his playoff avgs. are all better than his regular season numbers but he has to step up even more(show some leadership as the best player on his team) and Lead his team to a couple of playoff series wins, before he deserves the praise people seem to want to give him.
That's unfair. He's been stuck on horrible teams, and no player, no matter how good, can will a team to win. Yao really isn't anywhere close to being a match for his talent, and so the Swift addition can only make them good if Yao starts reaching Shaq-like levels, which is when I will buy the 'permanent dominance' that Brick is afraid of. Dominance of us, maybe, but not of the entire NBA.

Bricklayer

captain bill said:
That's unfair. He's been stuck on horrible teams, and no player, no matter how good, can will a team to win. Yao really isn't anywhere close to being a match for his talent, and so the Swift addition can only make them good if Yao starts reaching Shaq-like levels, which is when I will buy the 'permanent dominance' that Brick is afraid of. Dominance of us, maybe, but not of the entire NBA.
I meant dominance of us. There is an elite group of teams clearly superior to us at this point. I am not eager to anybody else join those ranks.

The Grizzlies have no reason to S&T Swift to a conference rival like the Rockets. This is Jerry West we're talking about here, not Mitch Kupc....er, Isiah Thomas.

the rockes don't put any kind of fear into me, not after that choke job last year after being up 2-0 on the road.

plus yao is a pansy. until he starts to play like a 7'6'' guy, forget it.

KA_2 said:
The Grizzlies have no reason to S&T Swift to a conference rival like the Rockets. This is Jerry West we're talking about here, not Mitch Kupc....er, Isiah Thomas.
Yeah... even Mitch shipped Shaq off to the EC. The Grizzs would be stupid to help a Division rival in building a potentially devastating team. As a Kings fan I hope they aren't.

As soft as Yao can be, it's not like we have anyone to guard him. Looking at past games, Miller isn't exactly slowing Yao down and gone is the versatile starting front court. He will probably eat our even softer front court alive.

Who plays SF for them? Juwan or is he PF? All i know is they would be pretty tuff. Especially if they get J will or damon stoudamire like its been rumored. That would be a nice little team. Championship conntenders maybe not but getting pretty close.

Stromile would be an excellent addition, but not enough to contend. You can say whatever you want about Yao "sacking up" (not gonna happen) or McGrady carrying even more of a load (not likely), it doesn't matter. Sure, they could win a few more regular season games and actually get to the 2nd round, but that's not "contending"

The Rockets still need a point guard. A real one, not a converted shooting guard. Look at who's been in contention and won the big series' since Jordan left the Bulls. The PG is the most important position in the NBA and the Rockets come up short, so they'll come up short of the Finals until they get one.

Bricklayer

Kev.in said:
The Rockets still need a point guard. A real one, not a converted shooting guard. Look at who's been in contention and won the big series' since Jordan left the Bulls. The PG is the most important position in the NBA and the Rockets come up short, so they'll come up short of the Finals until they get one.
??

Actually I think the PG may have been the LEAST important position ever since the Magic/Zeke era ended.

Parker is decent, but a no time All-Star. Billups a little better. Other than that? Derek Fisher. Avery Johnson. Ron Harper. Kenny Smith. B.J. Armstrong. Role players. Of course most of that drought is directly attributable to Phil Jackson, who's 2 superstar system has always treated PGs as spare parts. But its been a long time since having a top one was any sort of indicator of championship mettle.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Bricklayer said:
But its been a long time since having a top one (PG) was any sort of indicator of championship mettle.
This is so true. The Center and PF position have taken center stage as championship mettle indicators.

captain bill said:
Stromile Swift is a nice addition, but hardly will he bring them to a ring. If that Rockets team does manage to win, it will be because Yao develops more and more, not because of Swift. The Heat, Pistons, Suns, and Spurs are all better than that team, and Dallas would still give them hell. An improved Cleveland squad could also give that team a run for its money. A "contender"? Depends on how you define it. That team would be good, and could theoretically beat a lot of teams, but is a far cry from winning a title. If Swift gets real good real fast, and Yao gets better, maybe. Otherwise they still need one more big time player (which Swift is not) to get over the top.

ahem....[cough, cough]...i think u might be forgetting somebody [cough, pacers] ;)