C-Webb fans - give up on the Sixers

This coach is unbelievable. You get a 5-time AllStar and bench him, playing one of the worst teams in the league, and you are DOWN WITH YOUR BENCH! Your bench sucks! But, hey, keep Webb on the bench.

"Hey, GM Billy King, take your high-priced AllStar and stuff him, I can win without him, and besides, I'm married to the owner's daughter!" said Coach O'Brian to a blogger with a press pass.

"Nyah Nyah players, fans and the rest of you! AI is all that matters, and if he's playing bad it's everybody elses' fault." The blogger walked away shaking her head.

Disgusting.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Webb just got booed, what a bunch of ********!!!! The Sixers SUCK!!! not b/c of CWEBB!

Last edited by a moderator:
You get a 5-time AllStar and bench him
O'Brien's coaching decisions have been questionable as of late. However, i'm all for coaches benching players regardless of their "status". The coach should be in charge of the team, not the players. If a player is forcing shots, and hurting the team with his play, he should get yanked out of the game. This is exactly what coach Skiles is doing in Chicago. You don't play D, you don't follow directions...you ride the pine then. However, Skiles' job is easier because he is working with a bunch of rookies and he doesn't have to deal with the pressure of benching a star player.

BullKing said:
The coach should be in charge of the team, not the players. If a player is forcing shots, and hurting the team with his play, he should get yanked out of the game.
LOL. A good one! Think that shoe fits AI? :D

VF21 said:
So Webber couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the few times AI actually let go of the ball?
My thoughts exactly. How is this all Webbs fault now? I think the underlying problem after all the people they have had through that system is AI. Sure he is a great individual player but nothing more then that.

BigWaxer said:
My thoughts exactly. How is this all Webbs fault now? I think the underlying problem after all the people they have had through that system is AI. Sure he is a great individual player but nothing more then that.
Yeah, my opinion of AI has really plummeted since I've been paying more attention (and I was neutral to begin with). He obviously has no intention of making other players better, or the team better, he just wants the ball. The sad thing is that Webb is shooting poorly. Everyone has off nights, but I don't know that Webb has ever had so many consecutive nights of subpar shooting. I think Webb is just completely off balance, frustrated, and under so much pressure that it's hard to perform. Very bad situation here for us Webber fans, because it seems like Webb would play so much better if the team would make a few adjustments, and it seems like they aren't willing to do that.

I had really hoped that Webb would do well on the 76ers. I haven't completely given up hope on a complete turnaround, but now I'm finding myself hoping that if all else fails, he just stays healthy & gets the heck out of there as soon as the season is over.

VF21 said:
So Webber couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the few times AI actually let go of the ball?
Meh...that's not a good argument. Webb did the same thing here (heck, he ranked #1 in FGA per 48), although it surely worked out better than it does for AI and Philly.

He's just not playing well at all period. Not used to being a #2 option, and definitely not used to not having the ball in his hands the majority of the time.

love_them_kings said:
Yeah, my opinion of AI has really plummeted since I've been paying more attention (and I was neutral to begin with). He obviously has no intention of making other players better, or the team better, he just wants the ball. The sad thing is that Webb is shooting poorly. Everyone has off nights, but I don't know that Webb has ever had so many consecutive nights of subpar shooting. I think Webb is just completely off balance, frustrated, and under so much pressure that it's hard to perform. Very bad situation here for us Webber fans, because it seems like Webb would play so much better if the team would make a few adjustments, and it seems like they aren't willing to do that.

I had really hoped that Webb would do well on the 76ers. I haven't completely given up hope on a complete turnaround, but now I'm finding myself hoping that if all else fails, he just stays healthy & gets the heck out of there as soon as the season is over.
Word.

love_them_kings said:
It'd be very hard for CWebb since his value has only decreased with the 76s. Which team would want him with the contract and recent performance? sigh...

love_them_kings said:

I agree with you. I used to be strictly a Kings fan and kind of had blinders on when it came to other teams, especially East Coast teams. Since the trade, because I am a HUGE CWEbb fan, I have been following the Sixers and I was surprised at how much AI hogs the ball, it's no wonder we thought we were getting big nobodies from Philly, they never got to show anyone who they were. And now look, they come to Sacramento and shine. I feel that Webb will suffocate under the Philly coaching staff and Iversons dominance of the ball. GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN WEBB. The only thing holding Philly back from being a contender, ironically, is their star player...go figure

funsc said:
It'd be very hard for CWebb since his value has only decreased with the 76s. Which team would want him with the contract and recent performance? sigh...
I think, like us, other teams will be able to see that Webb was playing well until the move, and having to play under O'Brien. I'm no basketball expert and I see the writing on the wall, it ain't Webbs fault. I think the teams, like Charlotte, and teams with younger players could really use someone like Webb as a veteran influence, sortof like Vlade was for us in the early days.

except that people will ALSO see that to start his tenure in Philly he was TRADED by the Kings for basically some flotsom and jetsum (by one of the most respected GMs in the league, btw)

Those two facts together really bite into his status

mcsluggo said:
except that people will ALSO see that to start his tenure in Philly he was TRADED by the Kings for basically some flotsom and jetsum (by one of the most respected GMs in the league, btw)

Those two facts together really bite into his status
Fortunately, very few teams have the four players that CWebb was starting alongside, which made him tradeable for the Kings, but desirable for the Sixers. Sixers know they can't get rid of AI, but they might recognize if they are going to keep O'Brien (which they probably will) that the team could be more successful with different players at that position. I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head, though. I doubt CWebb is moved after such a short stint with the 76ers.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
4cwebb said:
Fortunately, very few teams have the four players that CWebb was starting alongside, which made him tradeable for the Kings, but desirable for the Sixers. Sixers know they can't get rid of AI, but they might recognize if they are going to keep O'Brien (which they probably will) that the team could be more successful with different players at that position. I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head, though. I doubt CWebb is moved after such a short stint with the 76ers.
We'll see about O'Brien -- the subtext of this whole thing is that JOB has been labeled an idiot for most of this year, and other than the support of A.I. he doesn't have much going for him. Certainly if he ventured onto the Philly streets without security he'd run the risk of being lyched. This year may be a loss, but I find it very hard to believe they would bring back both Webb and JOB unless they do some serious counseling over the summer. Thing is that's not likely to help -- there are things Webb simply cannot do, and JOB on the other hand seems to be one of those "I have a system" coaches totally lacking in flexibility.

EmKingsFan4 said:
I agree with you. I used to be strictly a Kings fan and kind of had blinders on when it came to other teams, especially East Coast teams. Since the trade, because I am a HUGE CWEbb fan, I have been following the Sixers and I was surprised at how much AI hogs the ball, it's no wonder we thought we were getting big nobodies from Philly, they never got to show anyone who they were. And now look, they come to Sacramento and shine. I feel that Webb will suffocate under the Philly coaching staff and Iversons dominance of the ball. GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN WEBB. The only thing holding Philly back from being a contender, ironically, is their star player...go figure
I know, I keep looking at the guys we got in the trade, and think what was O'Brien thinking. Philly (like the Kings) isn't a strong defensive team, and they had Skinner on the injured reserve list??? It just doesn't make sense.

I hope Webb can get out too -- between O'Brien & AI I just don't know how much better it will get. I hope I'm wrong though, because I hate to see him so miserable.

Bricklayer said:
We'll see about O'Brien -- the subtext of this whole thing is that JOB has been labeled an idiot for most of this year, and other than the support of A.I. he doesn't have much going for him. Certainly if he ventured onto the Philly streets without security he'd run the risk of being lyched. This year may be a loss, but I find it very hard to believe they would bring back both Webb and JOB unless they do some serious counseling over the summer. Thing is that's not likely to help -- there are things Webb simply cannot do, and JOB on the other hand seems to be one of those "I have a system" coaches totally lacking in flexibility.
yeah, I just don't know if that team is big enough for Obrien, AI and CWebb. I would like to see O'brien go, because I just don't see him and Webb ever seeing eye to eye. I agree, I don't think there's much counseling will do, look what happened after they "cleared the air" -- no changes whatsoever....

Maybe they can bring in Mo Cheeks like they were trying to do last year. Anything would be an improvement over this joker.

Chris just has to keep his head up. Never seen him go through a stretch like this (he is a ~44-46% shooter, not the ~28-30% shooter he has been with Philly). It is hard to explain, though I believe this slump is mostly due to frustration/heartbreak over the trade. He is not getting bad shots all the time, last night in particular he got decent looks. Most of the shots in the 1st half didn't get over the front of the rim. The 2nd half shots looked dead-on but every single one rattled in and out. He couldn't even coax a layup to stay down. The 76ers did finally benefit by dumping the ball into him and then moving to get open looks. I think he had 4 or 5 assists last night and could have had more if some of those guys could catch. The funny thing is, they boo C-Webb for pretty much any mistake but they don't boo AI after he commits an astounding 12th turnover of the game (which is what really killed the team last night).

I hope closet CWebb bashers are not snickering that his recent performance justifies what I still think was a ludicrous trade. I think it is pretty asinine to believe that Chris would be playing this poorly if he were still wearing the purple. But, alas, we will never know will we...

skeletor8 said:
Maybe they can bring in Mo Cheeks like they were trying to do last year. Anything would be an improvement over this joker.

Chris just has to keep his head up. Never seen him go through a stretch like this (he is a ~44-46% shooter, not the ~28-30% shooter he has been with Philly). It is hard to explain, though I believe this slump is mostly due to frustration/heartbreak over the trade. He is not getting bad shots all the time, last night in particular he got decent looks. Most of the shots in the 1st half didn't get over the front of the rim. The 2nd half shots looked dead-on but every single one rattled in and out. He couldn't even coax a layup to stay down. The 76ers did finally benefit by dumping the ball into him and then moving to get open looks. I think he had 4 or 5 assists last night and could have had more if some of those guys could catch. The funny thing is, they boo C-Webb for pretty much any mistake but they don't boo AI after he commits an astounding 12th turnover of the game (which is what really killed the team last night).

I hope closet CWebb bashers are not snickering that his recent performance justifies what I still think was a ludicrous trade. I think it is pretty asinine to believe that Chris would be playing this poorly if he were still wearing the purple. But, alas, we will never know will we...
great post. Yeah, Webb never would have played this poorly for this long on the Kings. Wouldn't have happened. He knows our system, and while he had an off night here & then we haven't seen anything like this. I agree, I think a large part of the shooting problem is mental - frustration & heartsick like you mentioned, but also lack of confidence and pressure because he knows what will happen if it doesn't go in. Also, just being out of rhythm from sitting so much of the game when he's not used to it....

Despite a lot of adjustments needing to happen, I still think that when this settles down Webber will play better. He is WAY too good to play this poorly, no matter what team he is on. I think he is having a really hard time moving on though, and I don't blame him. Face it, Sacramento is a great place to play.