Buddy Hield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard "we need a go to scorer" and my answer to that is Buddy Hield. I think the mins he received were fair and he earned every second of them. He plays with more hustle on D then he's given credit for and will dot a defenders eye if he gives him any daylight. Next year he should get more PT and Joerger can use Bogie at PG for a few mins every game.

He showed real improvement in his passing, and ball handling to a lesser extent. I might also be crazy but I think he got a little more athletic towards the end of the season, he may have trimmed down a little, not that he was out of shape.

I've been luke warm on Buddy since he got here, but I was encouraged by how he finished the season.

I've heard "we need a go to scorer" and my answer to that is Buddy Hield. I think the mins he received were fair and he earned every second of them. He plays with more hustle on D then he's given credit for and will dot a defenders eye if he gives him any daylight. Next year he should get more PT and Joerger can use Bogie at PG for a few mins every game.
Thank you. I was about to give up on this thread and then saw your post. I feel the same way. In fact, I thought Buddy was a bigger contributor by the end of the season than Bogi, and I’m a big Bogi fan. Buddy will continue to make plenty of mistakes over the next year or two, but as long as he continues to improve, he’s going to be one hell of a player.

He showed real improvement in his passing, and ball handling to a lesser extent. I might also be crazy but I think he got a little more athletic towards the end of the season, he may have trimmed down a little, not that he was out of shape.

I've been luke warm on Buddy since he got here, but I was encouraged by how he finished the season.
I also thought he got more athleticic...perhaps he is doing some special yoga to lossen those stiff hips...also, very encouraged by his 2nd half of season progression....expecting to see a lot of fox buddy bogs playing together next year

Entity

Hall of Famer
Having somebody like Bogs come off the bench is like having Bobby Jackson come off the bench. I don't see it as "getting worse" - I see it as taking long strides forward.
i feel same way. he can run the point and the sg. easy 30+ min Mason is a 3rd pg anyway

Kingster

Hall of Famer
His defense has gotten better! That's the surprise for me. Not the steals, but actually moving his feet and staying with the opposing player. And I've got to give credit to those who wanted him to handle the ball a lot this year. I didn't. It just seemed to me he should focus on moving without the ball and shooting off the catch. His ball handling definitely got better because of his experience during the year. That said, I still want to see him move, catch, and shoot off the pass a lot more next year. If he dribbles, I'd like to see him make a quick penetrating move toward the basket rather than dribble, dribble, dribble like we saw too often with him this past season.

P.S. He also gets credit for competing in virtually every game he played this year. That's a big plus.

All Kings fans should be excited about the development of Buddy Hield.

His overall shooting percentage went down (with the Kings) but it was a much larger sample size. His consistent 3pt shooting is something the Kings desperately need and where he'll help the team most. But his improved tenacity on defense, willingness to pass and effort plays to secure loose balls were more than encouraging IMO. Most of all, he seems content to come off the bench and play whatever role the team needs. THAT shouldn't be taken lightly. The very best teams in the league all seem to have a player like him.

Lastly, Buddy is proving that players drafted at 22 years old -- rather than 18 or 19 -- aren't at all finished products and can still greatly improve during their time in the NBA.

dude12

Hall of Famer

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Buddy can be something in the mold of a Eric Gordon, which isn't bad to have with more efficiency
Possibly, one difference between the two is that Buddy can get his shot off in a variety of different ways and has a bit quicker release. That could be the difference between being an all star or an average player in the NBA.

Buddy not being a starter is already ridiculous if you're basing it off of potential, need, and current ability.
No it’s not he still could get 32-34 mpg off the bench but Joerger didn’t do it. You need two things to succeed
1. A bench scorer which Buddy can and will be
2. Multiple ball handlers/ playmakers starting. With Bogdan starting he makes 2 with Fox so we need to see how we fill the SF/PF spot

No it’s not he still could get 32-34 mpg off the bench but Joerger didn’t do it. You need two things to succeed
2. Multiple ball handlers/ playmakers starting. With Bogdan starting he makes 2 with Fox so we need to see how we fill the SF/PF spot
Exactly. This whole "small ball" talk is actually mislabeled. As you said, the goal is to get as much skill, playmaking and shooting on the floor as possible. At the beginning this happened because big guys where replaced by smaller players but only because they were more skilled. But size still matters and if you are big and skilled, now we're taking. Now we have guys like Giannis and Simmons dominating.

Its why I'm still hopeful the Kings can turn this arround despite not having a 25+ ppg scorer. If the team can add one more high profile SF/PF either in the draft or in Free Agency that can playmake, and you give them time to develop, you can build a lineup of 5 playmakers that is fairly switchable to close out games.
Already in place:
Fox 6'3.5", 6'6" wingspan
Buddy 6'5", 6'9" wingspan (210 pounds)
Bogdan 6'6.5", 6'11" wingspan
Giles 6'11", 7'3".

Now add someone like Miles Bridges, Porter, or Parker/Gordon in Free Agency and you could have five scoring threats on the floor that can playmake for each other and maintain size defensively.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
He didn't and are we assuming he will? At some point you have to look at the league around you and see what the real deal teams are doing. What team that means anything has a player getting 32-34 minutes off the bench as their leading scorer? The Clippers and Lou Williams? No thanks to that template! :p I'm not saying it's not workable but in the end, it still means Bogdan and Buddy have to spend most of the game on the floor together if they are destined to get starters minutes, which I do think is more important than who actually starts. And having a great sixth man is hardly a prerequisite to success when almost every single true contender features mostly near single digit scoring benchers. I guess it would be determined by need but I think it was clear that the Kings faced talent deficits almost every night trying to find a balanced roster and I think putting as much of the wing talent together and seeing if they can work is overdue. Jerry Reynolds in his interview with Kings.com a few weeks back or so brought up that same basic argument. Now, if the argument is Buddy vs. Bogdan, which is a complete waste of their potential as a tandem, then I think the article describes how that battle ends. When you're winning games having someone like Buddy off the bench is great, when you aren't there is no way to describe how or why you're best offensive player is your sixth man.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Exactly. This whole "small ball" talk is actually mislabeled. As you said, the goal is to get as much skill, playmaking and shooting on the floor as possible. At the beginning this happened because big guys where replaced by smaller players but only because they were more skilled. But size still matters and if you are big and skilled, now we're taking. Now we have guys like Giannis and Simmons dominating.

Its why I'm still hopeful the Kings can turn this arround despite not having a 25+ ppg scorer. If the team can add one more high profile SF/PF either in the draft or in Free Agency that can playmake, and you give them time to develop, you can build a lineup of 5 playmakers that is fairly switchable to close out games.
Already in place:
Fox 6'3.5", 6'6" wingspan
Buddy 6'5", 6'9" wingspan (210 pounds)
Bogdan 6'6.5", 6'11" wingspan
Giles 6'11", 7'3".

Now add someone like Miles Bridges, Porter, or Parker/Gordon in Free Agency and you could have five scoring threats on the floor that can playmake for each other and maintain size defensively.
For anyone who is watching the playoffs it's obvious if you can't cross match defensively and play small you might as well just tank your season now. I would love for the Kings to continue with a lineup like that with someone like Miles Bridges in there to add that missing ingredient but that would require Joerger to finally commit to playing his most skilled players. Last year was either/or when it came to Bogdan and Buddy. That isn't a recipe for success on any level.

Also if you’re not punching and hitting 3s you might as well go home the teams winning the 3point ball usually win the game. We shouldn’t even have Bamba on our board and you’re right about Bridges. If everything went right a Fox-Buddy-Bogdan-Bridges-Giles lineup is actually a successful one for the playoffs. 3 elite shooters, no defensive negatives, and a big that can guard the perimeter

For anyone who is watching the playoffs it's obvious if you can't cross match defensively and play small you might as well just tank your season now. I would love for the Kings to continue with a lineup like that with someone like Miles Bridges in there to add that missing ingredient but that would require Joerger to finally commit to playing his most skilled players. Last year was either/or when it came to Bogdan and Buddy. That isn't a recipe for success on any level.
He didn't and are we assuming he will? At some point you have to look at the league around you and see what the real deal teams are doing. What team that means anything has a player getting 32-34 minutes off the bench as their leading scorer? The Clippers and Lou Williams? No thanks to that template! :p I'm not saying it's not workable but in the end, it still means Bogdan and Buddy have to spend most of the game on the floor together if they are destined to get starters minutes, which I do think is more important than who actually starts. And having a great sixth man is hardly a prerequisite to success when almost every single true contender features mostly near single digit scoring benchers. I guess it would be determined by need but I think it was clear that the Kings faced talent deficits almost every night trying to find a balanced roster and I think putting as much of the wing talent together and seeing if they can work is overdue. Jerry Reynolds in his interview with Kings.com a few weeks back or so brought up that same basic argument. Now, if the argument is Buddy vs. Bogdan, which is a complete waste of their potential as a tandem, then I think the article describes how that battle ends. When you're winning games having someone like Buddy off the bench is great, when you aren't there is no way to describe how or why you're best offensive player is your sixth man.
It really shouldn’t matter who starts but I’d rather start Bogdan cause he brings versatility to the lineup. Fox isn’t a good enough playmaker yet so Bogdan fits with him

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Also if you’re not punching and hitting 3s you might as well go home the teams winning the 3point ball usually win the game. We shouldn’t even have Bamba on our board and you’re right about Bridges. If everything went right a Fox-Buddy-Bogdan-Bridges-Giles lineup is actually a successful one for the playoffs. 3 elite shooters, no defensive negatives, and a big that can guard the perimeter

It really shouldn’t matter who starts but I’d rather start Bogdan cause he brings versatility to the lineup. Fox isn’t a good enough playmaker yet so Bogdan fits with him
I've been in, and will continue to be in the play Fox, Bogdan, and Buddy as many minutes as you can camp. I don't care if you sub Buddy in after the first 30 seconds (they'd be better if they didn't go much longer IMO). The Kings have an inner Houston Rockets lineup in there somewhere if you look deep enough. I'm not sure they are though. Next year will tell us all we need to know.

I've been in, and will continue to be in the play Fox, Bogdan, and Buddy as many minutes as you can camp. I don't care if you sub Buddy in after the first 30 seconds (they'd be better if they didn't go much longer IMO). The Kings have an inner Houston Rockets lineup in there somewhere if you look deep enough. I'm not sure they are though. Next year will tell us all we need to know.
I'm squinting but I don't see the Rockets lineup in there anywhere.

Where are you finding the two hall of famers and top notch roleplaying big man at?

We are kind of like the Rockets if you comprised their entire team of just the roleplayers like Gordon, Mbah a Moute, Tucker, Ariza etc. But we lack the players that actually win the games.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I'm squinting but I don't see the Rockets lineup in there anywhere.

Where are you finding the two hall of famers and top notch roleplaying big man at?

We are kind of like the Rockets if you comprised their entire team of just the roleplayers like Gordon, Mbah a Moute, Tucker, Ariza etc. But we lack the players that actually win the games.
I'm talking about play style. And the Kings could have a hall of famer on the roster and even if they did the way it was run last year would render it irrelevant because they'll never break passed the platoon. It's funny, it looks like at some point Houston squinted hard enough to see one of their hall of famers pulling sixth man duty on another team. Interesting huh?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm talking about play style. And the Kings could have a hall of famer on the roster and even if they did the way it was run last year would render it irrelevant because they'll never break passed the platoon. It's funny, it looks like at some point Houston squinted hard enough to see one of their hall of famers pulling sixth man duty on another team. Interesting huh?
If we get Doncic in this draft, we're basically the Houston Rockets without D'Antoni's offense.

Doncic = Harden (big lead guard who can score from anywhere, get to the line, and set up easy baskets by passing off the dribble)
Fox = CP3 (not yet obviously, but Fox is 20 and there are some comparison points - both are very crafty with the ball and Paul was a miserable shooter his rookie season too)
Buddy = Eric Gordon (both are elite shooters off the bench who can handle a bit)
Giles = Clint Capela (similar body types, Giles is a lot more skilled while Capela came into the league as a role-playing big)
Bogdanovic = Ariza (not a great comparison, but Bogie can certainly hold his own as a shooter at least)
Temple - PJ Tucker (solid veteran wings who can knock down threes)
Cauley-Stein = Mbah a Moute (defensive role-playing big guys who can cover on the perimeter)
Labissiere = Ryan Anderson? (getting real optimistic here!)

Fox and Labissiere will have to make some pretty big strides as shooters to live up to the comparisons and Giles needs to prove he can play at this level, but the outline of the team is there. I wonder how much the comparison really matters though if we're playing the slowest pace int he league. Also, we need to win the lottery. So there's that. :)

If we get Doncic in this draft, we're basically the Houston Rockets without D'Antoni's offense.

Doncic = Harden (big lead guard who can score from anywhere, get to the line, and set up easy baskets by passing off the dribble)
Fox = CP3 (not yet obviously, but Fox is 20 and there are some comparison points - both are very crafty with the ball and Paul was a miserable shooter his rookie season too)
Buddy = Eric Gordon (both are elite shooters off the bench who can handle a bit)
Giles = Clint Capela (similar body types, Giles is a lot more skilled while Capela came into the league as a role-playing big)
Bogdanovic = Ariza (not a great comparison, but Bogie can certainly hold his own as a shooter at least)
Temple - PJ Tucker (solid veteran wings who can knock down threes)
Cauley-Stein = Mbah a Moute (defensive role-playing big guys who can cover on the perimeter)
Labissiere = Ryan Anderson? (getting real optimistic here!)

Fox and Labissiere will have to make some pretty big strides as shooters to live up to the comparisons and Giles needs to prove he can play at this level, but the outline of the team is there. I wonder how much the comparison really matters though if we're playing the slowest pace int he league. Also, we need to win the lottery. So there's that. :)
A rubberband can only stretch so much...

If we already have a Chris Paul, Eric Gordon, and Clint Capela, then I expect us to win at least 45games without the addition of Harden. lol really optimistic, but I don't see it at all. CP3 was an elite shooter out of Wake...46.5% in his 1st year and 47.5% in his 2nd year with a career avg of 83.8% FT. For whatever reason, he just struggled to shoot the 3 in his rookie year.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

If we already have a Chris Paul, Eric Gordon, and Clint Capela, then I expect us to win at least 45games without the addition of Harden. lol really optimistic, but I don't see it at all. CP3 was an elite shooter out of Wake...46.5% in his 1st year and 47.5% in his 2nd year with a career avg of 83.8% FT. For whatever reason, he just struggled to shoot the 3 in his rookie year.
Nobody is making an exact comparison here but the ability to play small, run, run, run, and shoot with skill across the board at all positions is there. If it doesn't work then you form your team after at the very least many of the players playing that style bumped their productivity and thus their trade value.

I certainly hope there is a hall of famer on this team right now but I definitely wouldn't put my money on it.

If a playoff run is in the future, I'd say they're shaping up more like the Hawks from a few years ago with a handful of solid players but no real stars.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

As a designated shooter, Buddy Hield was comparable to Eric Gordon this year. Fox played limited minutes half the year and Giles didn't play at all. Also we're talking about rookies and 2nd year players in comparison with 6+ year NBA veterans. Obviously this is not an apples to apples comparison. I just mean that they're comparable in play style and potential talent. I can see Buddy being an elite sixth man. Fox came into the league with similar expectations to Paul. It's unlikely he becomes the best PG of his generation of course, but not impossible. And even 80% of Paul is still a damn good player. I have no idea what to expect from Giles but Clint Capela was a project when he came in and didn't warrant much attention until a couple years into his NBA career.

I don't know, the whole thing is a little half-baked I admit. But we are loaded up on shooting even accounting for Fox's struggles. If we get an elite playmaker to get them all the ball and transition to a 7 seconds or less type of offense, I can see that group of players having success like Houston has. I don't know how far that gets you -- Houston hasn't made it out of the Conference Finals yet -- but it is a model for success we could try to follow if we wanted to.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I certainly hope there is a hall of famer on this team right now but I definitely wouldn't put my money on it.

If a playoff run is in the future, I'd say they're shaping up more like the Hawks from a few years ago with a handful of solid players but no real stars.
or the current crop of Denver players, competing for a 8th or 7th seed until they find a cornerstone.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

It depends on what you mean by hall of famer. I think the Kings have a few potential possibilities that could eventually produce at the cusp HOF levels statistically if given the chance. Now if you are talking all time great hall of famers than that's probably not going to happen. But then again, teams have won rings w/o having all time greats before so there is always a chance but you have to either be the kryptonite level antithesis of the top teams of that era or be able to match up with them to some extent.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
or the current crop of Denver players, competing for a 8th or 7th seed until they find a cornerstone.

Again, it's a team that might just simply not match up with the big dogs. Jokic is a good player, but a defensively liability when facing the small ball dominators. I think Millsap has plenty left in the tank but if he were younger I think their window might have been open long enough to wait for those big dogs to drop off. They've whiffed a couple drafts or stayed in the middle to end of the lottery for too long and that hurt them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.