Buddy Hield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm personally worried about the core. Bogie and Hield are the only guys I'd consider to be "playoff players" meaning guys that can help you get to the playoffs. Koufos is another one but I'm not sure if he will be around in 3 years. I think Hield is going to be really good in a year or two. He's never going to be a top level guy because he can't dribble or get to the line at all but he's going to be Sacramento's version of a top scorer because that step back and jab step are becoming lethal. I'm actually pretty damn excited about Buddy right now because you can tell he's putting in some serious work and not just on offense. He will never be a top defender but I can't complain about his defense at all because he puts in the effort.

To me, Mason is a fringe backup PG. I think he has a slightly higher chance of becoming a backup than he does an end of bench guy but I don't think he has much more than that to him. Same with Justin Jackson. Fox scares me at the moment. People think he has tired legs but I think he just doesn't know how to play basketball in the half court. He uses a screen and then just picks up his dribble and turns and passes the ball. Bogie and Mason keep their dribble and try to make things happen. Compound that with his bad shot and he has a ton of work to do to even become average. He's basically a shooting guard that can't shoot right now. So he's just a guard. Except he can't guard anyone either. Not sure what that makes him at the moment but it's not good.

I'm really hoping that Porter drops to us. I think Bamba, JJJ and Carter are good additions to a solid core but I don't know if the Kings have that solid core yet. If they don't, those guys will probably have a much more minimal impact on winning due to there not being a real go to guy on the Kings. Porter has that kind of ceiling but he's a huge risk. Giles is the same way. We can't rely on him but we might be coming up on a time where we have to if some of these guys don't separate themselves from the rest of the league.

Replying to poster who posted while I was creating, re: Buddy:

Buddy cannot really defend anyone - he's a "tweener", so, his logical place is instant offense off the bench (guarding other bench players - although a guy like Evan Turner will always torch him).

Buddy does not yet understand the game. I think it may have been last play of third quarter (I'll look it up later), Kings inbounding in backcourt, 2 seconds left and Buddy comes BACK for ball (below free throw line), instead of heading to other end looking fo a football-type long pass. Yes, he caught the ball but had no chance of a shot from three quarter court. In the exhibition game against Portland, he clearly did not understand that with Justin inbounding in the frontcourt, he is ALLOWED to receive the ball in the backcourt (tightroped midcourt line, making Jackson's pass much more difficult).

However, IF you want to go back to his first game with Kings (against Denver) on his very first (or maybe second) three point shot as a King. he fired from top of circle (furthest point) and the very SECOND the ball was out of his hands, he turned his back and headed down to set up to play defense. I have never seen a more confident shooter (with a brand new team).

I'm personally worried about the core. Bogie and Hield are the only guys I'd consider to be "playoff players" meaning guys that can help you get to the playoffs. Koufos is another one but I'm not sure if he will be around in 3 years. I think Hield is going to be really good in a year or two. He's never going to be a top level guy because he can't dribble or get to the line at all but he's going to be Sacramento's version of a top scorer because that step back and jab step are becoming lethal. I'm actually pretty damn excited about Buddy right now because you can tell he's putting in some serious work and not just on offense. He will never be a top defender but I can't complain about his defense at all because he puts in the effort.

To me, Mason is a fringe backup PG. I think he has a slightly higher chance of becoming a backup than he does an end of bench guy but I don't think he has much more than that to him. Same with Justin Jackson. Fox scares me at the moment. People think he has tired legs but I think he just doesn't know how to play basketball in the half court. He uses a screen and then just picks up his dribble and turns and passes the ball. Bogie and Mason keep their dribble and try to make things happen. Compound that with his bad shot and he has a ton of work to do to even become average. He's basically a shooting guard that can't shoot right now. So he's just a guard. Except he can't guard anyone either. Not sure what that makes him at the moment but it's not good.

I'm really hoping that Porter drops to us. I think Bamba, JJJ and Carter are good additions to a solid core but I don't know if the Kings have that solid core yet. If they don't, those guys will probably have a much more minimal impact on winning due to there not being a real go to guy on the Kings. Porter has that kind of ceiling but he's a huge risk. Giles is the same way. We can't rely on him but we might be coming up on a time where we have to if some of these guys don't separate themselves from the rest of the league.
All valid points. For me Bog, Buddy, Mason, Giles are good pieces. All else is really up in the air. Fox has been here and there this season and has made some great clutch plays. I am giving him time as i have no doubt he can be a star in this league, but i wouldn't be surprised if we shipped him and our pick in a bid to get Doncic or if we took Young in the draft and moved Fox for another first rounder. Vivek loved Buddys outside shooting and no doubt he is aware of Young's scoring ability.

Replying to poster who posted while I was creating, re: Buddy:

Buddy cannot really defend anyone - he's a "tweener", so, his logical place is instant offense off the bench (guarding other bench players - although a guy like Evan Turner will always torch him).

Buddy does not yet understand the game. I think it may have been last play of third quarter (I'll look it up later), Kings inbounding in backcourt, 2 seconds left and Buddy comes BACK for ball (below free throw line), instead of heading to other end looking fo a football-type long pass. Yes, he caught the ball but had no chance of a shot from three quarter court. In the exhibition game against Portland, he clearly did not understand that with Justin inbounding in the frontcourt, he is ALLOWED to receive the ball in the backcourt (tightroped midcourt line, making Jackson's pass much more difficult).

However, IF you want to go back to his first game with Kings (against Denver) on his very first (or maybe second) three point shot as a King. he fired from top of circle (furthest point) and the very SECOND the ball was out of his hands, he turned his back and headed down to set up to play defense. I have never seen a more confident shooter (with a brand new team).
I don't think Buddy's career is cemented as a 6th man. There are a lot of bad defensive starters in the league. If you can score or do other things that outweigh your defense, you're a positive player. I think Buddy has accepted that he doesn't have the length nor athleticism to be a good defender so he's going about it in other ways. He's defending smarter, stealing the ball more and blocking more shots. If a guy can't defend due to his physical abilities, that's fine, just figure out other ways to impact the game and I think Buddy is doing just that.

He's not the smartest player in the world but he's shown a lot of improvements this year. Particularly in his pick and roll abilities on offense. It's good to see him out there getting assists by making plays. Not by just being the last guy to pass the ball. His newly found ability to be able to quickly shoot three's with a hand in his face is a very important tool that not many players in the league can do at a high percentage. That's going to be his best ability going forward and I think it's the one that will improve the most as well.

well, hield and oladipo are both listed at 6'4", 210-214 lbs.

Kehinde Babatunde Victor Oladipo is a year and a half older.

and there is no doubt that buddy IS a pure shooter

BUT I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISEDTO SEE BUDDY EVOLVE INTO A DEFENDER LIKE THIS:

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021701127&eventNum=1038

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021701127&eventNum=1029

and

#1) nice shot by buddy - but should it have counted, skal?

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021701127&eventNum=1033

and

#2 should buddy have actually gotten (and made) two free throws here (30.1 seconds left in 4th):

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021701127&eventNum=1034

our survey says

No to #2 (referees report says bogdon travelled before bojan fouled buddy)

and incredibly

Yes on #1 - that is, the referee's report decided that it was correct NOT to call skal for three seconds in the lane (which would have nullified that buddy basket).

go figure.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't think Buddy's career is cemented as a 6th man. There are a lot of bad defensive starters in the league. If you can score or do other things that outweigh your defense, you're a positive player. I think Buddy has accepted that he doesn't have the length nor athleticism to be a good defender so he's going about it in other ways. He's defending smarter, stealing the ball more and blocking more shots. If a guy can't defend due to his physical abilities, that's fine, just figure out other ways to impact the game and I think Buddy is doing just that.

He's not the smartest player in the world but he's shown a lot of improvements this year. Particularly in his pick and roll abilities on offense. It's good to see him out there getting assists by making plays. Not by just being the last guy to pass the ball. His newly found ability to be able to quickly shoot three's with a hand in his face is a very important tool that not many players in the league can do at a high percentage. That's going to be his best ability going forward and I think it's the one that will improve the most as well.

Buddy has turned into one of the Kings best on ball defenders and by far the most active.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I feel Buddy has the potential to win a sixth man of the year award or two, but as a starter, he just isn't there right now, maybe he can continue to improve, who knows but as of now, he is a sixth man, which is not a bad asset to have. He's also put in some serious work on defense and what he lacks in wingspan and later speed, he makes up with effort.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I feel Buddy has the potential to win a sixth man of the year or award or two, but as a starter, he just isn't there right now, maybe he can continue to improve, who knows but as of now, he is a sixth man, which is not a bad asset to have. He's also put in some serious work on defense and what he lacks in wingspan and later speed, he makes up with effort.
And, as an added bonus, he's happy being first off the bench. :)

I think next year we should should have Bogs and Hield on court same time for majority of the time. There just isnt that many SFs out there to punish the small lineup by rebounding and attavking the rim to punish the kjngs for this. Bogs and Hield (anf skal) kockjng down 3s with a stroger Fox attacking the rim will be our best ticket to winnjnv games next year

Id start Koufos as he is a top rebounder and use Mason and WCS and ZBO Jackson off the bench. Mason and ZBO alone can carry the scoring for bench mob while the starters out gun you. Giles and new rookie are the big questin marks.

Fox Mason
Hield Temple
Bogs
Jackson
Skal Zbo giles?
KK WCS

Last edited:
Demarcus Cousins Silence on Locker Assignment In New Orleans Finally Broken

by Ted Aprilbroda
New Orleans Times-PickyPickyPicky

Saying that "It's time to set things straight", Demarcus Cousins today revealed that the items he flourished in last year's Mardi Gras Parade were things he found in this assigned locker, when he arrived in New Orleans.

"They gave me the locker that had formerly been used by Buddy Hield. I cannot with certainty say that Buddy either wore, drank or otherwise used these items, but they were there when I got there - no way did I acquire them on my own".

In related news, Cousins said that he is proud of Kevin Durant for taking up the cause of accumulating mass quantities of technical fouls:

"Kevin is a great player and he deserves to follow in my footsteps, big as though footsteps may be. as Bill Russell once said, 'The bigger the man, the more technicals he will accumulate. If He Pouts or Shouts, You Must Throw Him Out". I stand with Bill Rusell, although a couple of inches higher."

full text of interview here: [REDACTED]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Modding]

I normally wouldn't bother with this, because I hate to be #JokeKiller guy, but we've already received several reports about this, so as to try and prevent any more...

... Please try to remember that today is April 1.

Buddy's cool, a bright spot in my opinion.
I'm hard on this team, mostly relating to the FO but we went years prior to last year having just about the worst guard rotations in the league so yeah Buddy, Bogdan, Fox and Mason are a welcome change.

I think Heild is awesome. I love his hustle and desire for the game. We should try to resign him ASAP. I think Fox and Bogie have bright futures also.

Here is the sequence of the key play in last night' game.

Someone earlier said that Buddy has become a good on-ball guard.

I'm not sure.

I had to watch this 10 second clip 15 times to get a handle on it.

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021701155&eventNum=1026

First time through, I realized that Randle had set an excellent pick - not sticking his butt out or edging his feet. He was completely stationary and maybe could have "cheated" just a bit more without being called for a foul.

Buddy has to go above the screen and Pope has beaten him at that point.

Compare to this screen on Buddy (which also was not considered a foul, either on the floor on later being reviewed by officials who can go frame by frame):

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021700924&eventNum=1105

But then I watched Buddy and Pope. The last few times, I was asking myself, "What was Pope attempting to do?"

The refs report says: "Hield cleanly dislodges the ball before making incidental contact".

Was that supposed to be a shot? Did Pope stumble and was looking for a shooting foul, so he threw it up thinking he would surely get a call? The "shot" appears to come from someone who no longer HAS control of the ball (or the shot would have been better) You can't really see if Buddy reaches in and gets the ball - he does not appear to knock it loose (because Pope is able to throw it up) but at least ONE hand - and maybe both - are initially on Pope's back.

Right away I saw that Buddy (who went above the pick and was hopelessly stuck behind Pope, maybe could have waited until the shot and tried to block it from behind, but otherwise was beaten on the play) put a hand on his back and tried to reach around him with the other. That probably should have been a foul and Pope stumbled a bit forwards and lost his balance, but Buddy did not really appear to "push" him, but he DID put a hand on him and was behind him when he did so - I think I would have blown the whistle at that moment.

It wasn't until many times through that I saw that Buddy clearly steps forward and places his left foot in front of Pope in an attempt to trip him - well, not exactly "trip him", but places his leg where Pope himself will trip over it (and he appears to do so). But does Pope stumble before making contact with Buddy's leg. Was it the hand on the back? Did he SEE that Buddy's leg was going to impede his progress and stumble on his own? Why did Pope not attempt to kick the ball back to Randle? Did he think that a foul would surely be called?

And yet, after Sampson blocks the "shot", Pope does not try to "sell" the call (maybe because the block by Sampson was NOT the foul). Of course, on a normal foul on the arms, you can throw your hands in the air to sell it - but how do you sell a possible "push" or a "trip" where contact is just barely made?

Do we have to conclude that Buddy made the best he could out of being screened off by a well presented pick or that Pope stumbled on his own?

Good recovery defense or a foul for either of two reasons?

The refs reviewing it thought the contact was incidental, so, I guess you have to say, "nice recovery, Buddy", but really, that could have gone either way, imho.

And it determined the outcome of the game.

Here is the sequence of the key play in last night' game.

Someone earlier said that Buddy has become a good on-ball guard.

I'm not sure.

I had to watch this 10 second clip 15 times to get a handle on it.

First time through, I realized that Randle had set an excellent pick - not sticking his butt out or edging his feet. He was completely stationary and maybe could have "cheated" just a bit more without being called for a foul.

Buddy has to go above the screen and Pope has beaten him at that point.

Compare to this screen on Buddy (which also was not considered a foul, either on the floor on later being reviewed by officials who can go frame by frame):

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021700924&eventNum=1105

But then I watched Buddy and Pope. The last few times, I was asking myself, "What was Pope attempting to do?"

The refs report says: "Hield cleanly dislodges the ball before making incidental contact".

Was that supposed to be a shot? Did Pope stumble and was looking for a shooting foul, so he threw it up thinking he would surely get a call? The "shot" appears to come from someone who no longer HAS control of the ball (or the shot would have been better) You can't really see if Buddy reaches in and gets the ball - he does not appear to knock it loose (because Pope is able to throw it up) but at least ONE hand - and maybe both - are initially on Pope's back.

Right away I saw that Buddy (who went above the pick and was hopelessly stuck behind Pope, maybe could have waited until the shot and tried to block it from behind, but otherwise was beaten on the play) put a hand on his back and tried to reach around him with the other. That probably should have been a foul and Pope stumbled a bit forwards and lost his balance, but Buddy did not really appear to "push" him, but he DID put a hand on him and was behind him when he did so - I think I would have blown the whistle at that moment.

It wasn't until many times through that I saw that Buddy clearly steps forward and places his left foot in front of Pope in an attempt to trip him - well, not exactly "trip him", but places his leg where Pope himself will trip over it (and he appears to do so). But does Pope stumble before making contact with Buddy's leg. Was it the hand on the back? Did he SEE that Buddy's leg was going to impede his progress and stumble on his own? Why did Pope not attempt to kick the ball back to Randle? Did he think that a foul would surely be called?

And yet, after Sampson blocks the "shot", Pope does not try to "sell" the call (maybe because the block by Sampson was NOT the foul). Of course, on a normal foul on the arms, you can throw your hands in the air to sell it - but how do you sell a possible "push" or a "trip" where contact is just barely made?

Do we have to conclude that Buddy made the best he could out of being screened off by a well presented pick or that Pope stumbled on his own?

Good recovery defense or a foul for either of two reasons?

The refs reviewing it thought the contact was incidental, so, I guess you have to say, "nice recovery, Buddy", but really, that could have gone either way, imho.

it was a one point game so you can say every play determined the outcome of the game.

the only incorrect call in the report according to the review went against
the kings on this push into Sampson's back underneath the basket: http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021701155&eventNum=1023

but my favorite is the one right after the play you described at 00:34:08: http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021701155&eventNum=1027

here the Lakers are breaking and the last man back is Bogie. he is in the proccess of being pinned deep in the paint by Randle. the pass is on its way.

as the ball is in transit Bogie is evaluating his options:
1) play straight up defence. this will probably be futile as Randle is much bigger.
2) try to foul and send him to the line. this is fraught with risk as Randle is very powerful and the position will be so deep that this might end up being a basket plus one.

Bogie realizes that his only option is to act as the ball arrives.

He puts his body into Randle to make the fight for the position the primary focus in Randle's mind, all the while keeping his eye on the incoming ball and calculating the right time to pounce.

As the ball touches Randles hands and is registered in Randle's mind as a catch (while not actually having full control) and his tought process moves on to the next action in the sequence (using the great position he built to score), Bogie uses the split second window during this mind/reality disconnect to use that wingspan of his and knock the ball out of Randle's not-yet-fully-gripping-the-ball hands.

:)

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I'm so proud of Buddy, his good attitude and work ethic is finally paying off. The key was when he was benched earlier in the season for his subpar performances, he got to sit on the sidelines to watch and learn, I felt like when he was starting he was trying to do too much or put into a position where he was not comfortable. Not only did he get to sit and watch and learn, he also got to understand pacing of the game which ultimately led him to understanding when to pick and choose his spots better. He is becoming a good two way player, his handles have also improved in a very short period of time, a weakness of his. His defense/hustle and rebounding have become top notch for a SG.

Last edited:
Buddy since the all star break
Only 27mpg
16ppg- 4.8rpg- 2.8apg- 1.1spg
43% from 3, 95% FTs, 57%true shooting

Give him 30-36mpg off the bench and we’re good
That's an elite offensive player folks. And thus, the major problem with bringing him off the bench. You're limiting his minutes rotation for literally no reason by sitting that first 6-8 minutes in the first and 6-8 minutes in the third.

That's an elite offensive player folks. And thus, the major problem with bringing him off the bench. You're limiting his minutes rotation for literally no reason by sitting that first 6-8 minutes in the first and 6-8 minutes in the third.
Disagree extremely, if he was a 2 way player teams but he can come off the bench scoring and still play 30-36mpg Bogdan can handle the SF spot for 10-20min. You need that one scorer off the bench to succeed and that’s what Hield will be for us just like Lou Williams and Eric Gordon

I'm so proud of Buddy, his good attitude and work ethic is finally paying off. The key was when he was benched earlier in the season for his subpar performances, he got to sit on the sidelines to watch and learn, I felt like when he was starting he was trying to do too much or put into a position where he was not comfortable. Not only did he get to sit and watch and learn, he also got to understand pacing of the game which ultimately led him to understanding when to pick and choose his spots better. He is becoming a good two way player, his handles have also improved in a very short period of time, a weakness of his. His defense/hustle and rebounding have become top notch for a SG.
there is also this seriousness and focus in his play on both ends of the floor which he seemed to lack earlier in the season. i remeber thinking in one of the recent games that it looked to me like Budy was plucked from a different game and put into the one I was watching as his level of urgency and activity was not matching (exceeding) that of his teammates at the time.

also has anyone noticed the improvement in his finishing on breakaways? he used to get blocked or more often miss because of the fear of getting blocked, but lately he has been pretty much dunking the ball full speed down the court with defenders trailing closely. very efficient motion straight for the rim at high speed as opposed to these kind of looping off the board trying to avoid blocks layups he was trying before..

one area where I think he needs to improve further is that sometimes he seems too slow to take a shot the offense created for him effectively resetting the posession. he would get the ball at the 3 point line off a curl or a screen play with defender closing in / rotating and he would have split second to take the shot but he does not do it holding the ball just a tad too long and now he has to pretty much run another play. just let it fly..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The problem is that Bogie is also so good that you can't justifiably bench him either. It's a good problem to have but it's an issue that's only going to get worse as Buddy and Bogie continue to grow as NBA players and the team adds more talent at the wing position.

responding to posts 18/20 and 23:

18/20:

you both say that this was not the deciding play of the game:

the score was 80-80 when the sequence began, with 47 seconds left.

as called, the sequence concluded with the kings up 82-80 (they won 84-83).

had a foul been called, Caldwell-Pope would have gone to the line and likely put the Lakers ahead, probably by two (82-80).

that is a four point swing with about 40 seconds left.

i would say that that was the deciding play of the game - although it is ALWAYS true (except once in recent kings history) that "you don't know what would have happened after that".

so, let me revise my statement:

"that was the most important (non)call of the game".

-------------------------------------------------------------------

two things here:

#1 - i have always maintained that a ref could call a foul on almost any play (which is why it was so easy for donaghey (sp?) to fix games betting the over).

for instance, look at the very beginning of these plays and tell me that caldwell-pope did NOT foul sampson (no foul was called):

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0021701155&eventNum=613

#2 - most of these videos are 10 seconds and refer to one play. but this one is 20 seconds and although it purports to be reviewing the very end of the sequence (when bogi fouls randle), the (non)foul call i am referring to occurs at the beginning of the video.

this appears to be an nba glitch - poster #18 refers to this play (which the refs determined WAS a foul on sampson) in it's previous incarnation, but for some reason, it is also repeated in the following review. go figure.

by the way, on MY computer, when i go to the written portion of the two minute report, my cursor jumps all over the place. i don't know if it is MY computer/cursor or a flaw in the nba system.

----------------------------------------------------------

i would also refer you to an excellent post regarding buddy/bogi - the final post of this thread:

https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/kings-jazz-saturday-march-17-6-pdt.69078/page-8

----------------------------------------------------------

to poster #23:

i did a satire yesterday but the meaning was missed.

the meaning was:

"how tall do you really think bogi IS?"

(my guess is 6'3 5/8")

he can NOT play SF - and i think that was proven earlier this season. bogi is close to a PG than a SF, which is why i would be happy to trade fox (while he still has value) NOT for a draft pick (a crapshoot) but for an established "big" (the model being kevin johnson for larry nance).

Last edited:
I like Buddy a lot. He is ball dominant like no one else on the team which is why he has the 6th man role. Last night DiVinsenzo was used the same way. Buddy has a big motor and has improved his defense a lot. He runs the floor. I would like to see him continue to improve his assists as he attracts a lot of attention from the defense. Ball handling is not his strength but he is a hard worker and can improve it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The problem is that Bogie is also so good that you can't justifiably bench him either. It's a good problem to have but it's an issue that's only going to get worse as Buddy and Bogie continue to grow as NBA players and the team adds more talent at the wing position.
Having somebody like Bogs come off the bench is like having Bobby Jackson come off the bench. I don't see it as "getting worse" - I see it as taking long strides forward.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't care who comes off the bench, this team will have a better shot to be good the more minutes Bogdan and Buddy play together. You can see the shift in the defense when both are out there. That paint gets a little bit more empty and the players sagging off take a step or two farther out than normal.

I don't care who comes off the bench, this team will have a better shot to be good the more minutes Bogdan and Buddy play together. You can see the shift in the defense when both are out there. That paint gets a little bit more empty and the players sagging off take a step or two farther out than normal.
The good thing is in this era they’ll get plenty time together without being exposed defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.