Buddy and Bogdan’s extension?

The China PR snafu may actually wind up helping the Kings in the end to resign Buddy.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/10/1...which-has-teams-thinking-of-lower-salary-cap/

https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/here...ina-controversy-could-impact-knicks/311167152

According to Commissioner Silver, China withdrawing numerous endorsements is going to cost the league millions and could lower the NBA Salary Cap next year. Rumor has it that the salary cap could drop next year, instead of going up. If that happens, the big free agent money will dry up around the league. The uncertainty won't be resolved by this Monday, so it's anybody's guess on the end effect on the salary cap.

Suddenly, a $90-$100 million/4 year contract offer suddenly looks a lot more appealing to Buddy and his camp. If his camp doesn't sign off on a contract by next Monday, they be looking pretty foolish come next summer.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Caleb Swanigan really has nothing to do with Buddy's contract situation. Caleb's salary is guaranteed this season, so whether we cut him or not, his salary is on our cap.

I believe that Caleb and his contract will be gone in short order after the trade deadline this year, if he is not used as a salary cap trade filler.
thats the point. don't replace caleb. add that money to buddy.

So in another 2 seasons are we going to have like 4 guys making around 25 million or so a year? I hope everyone is planning on all those deep playoff runs with this team as its structured.

I really like the depth we have but I can see that disappearing when we are over the cap.

All of the above comments can be fixed by winning and I hope that’s the case.
It is one thing I am not worried about with Vlade. Believe it or not since he took control over our cap situation has never looked better.

How many Brogdans are willing to come to sac town? How many players better than Heild are willing to come there and play at that level? The kings cant even get midlings like Otto porter to willingly come. He was willing to sign with the Nets when they were a dumpster fire rather than come to the Kings for more pay. Buddy wants in the range of 4/$110M. The kings offered 4/90. Thats a difference of just 5M/year. Split the difference and give 4/$100M (increase of just 2.5M per year over what they are offering now). What I think others forget is this is the first time you have a cohesive culture being built and it started with Buddy and continued with fox and bagley. Additionally, in the future, with a nucleus of fox/bagley/buddy/barnes, you will be able to recruit players to round out your roster without overpaying (ala ariza) which will save you money. But nickle and diming a high quality good player who you traded your franchise piece for will not build a good culture, nor will it be good for development. What will you do next year when fox is maxed and this dude started the culture change the year before and has been the best offensive weapon for 2.5years. People may not remember that he holds an NBA record, having hit 600 3s in his first 3 years. Not even Curry, nor Dame (previous record holder with 599) can say that. Steph is the only player in league history with a season in which he matched or exceeded Hield's three-point attempts, three-point percentage and points per game in 2018-19. He shot 45% from the field, 42% from deep 88% from the stripe, for 20ppg. 5 rpg is more than decent (tied for 14th best among all players listed as guards). He needs to improve on defense (but he has shown willingness to improve his game every year so i think that will come). I think he is a top 10 SG in the league and with current prices, you need to pay higher... And if you are Sacramento, you will pay higher yet. He is worth at least $25M/yr including the Sacramento tax. The question you have to ask is can they afford to let him walk in 1 year? I dont think you can and you definitely will not get anywhere close to equal value by trading him, especially given how teams have coveted draft picks as of late. This team if raised properly my prediction is perennial deep western conference runs if not title shots. But alot of that depends on showing loyalty to players and maintaining accountability, culture and development.

I see that comment reported in the Sac Bee but no actual clip of it. In the clip that is there however, he clearly refers to being part of the core, saying “I love Sacramento, but if they don’t want me here, if they don’t feel like I’m part of the core. … I like respect and loyalty, and I feel like I’m part of the group that’s getting the team back to where it needs to be.”
Buddy: "If you say I'm your guy and you want to build around me, I just need you to show it.”
-Jason Anderson, SacBee (per Bleacher Report)

Definitely shocked by the rhetoric. Buddy never really showed signs of being a grumbler. Especially given some circumstances in the Joerger era where Buddy didn’t appear to be getting a fair shake. Atleast in my view. He always kept professional.

That said, I can see why Buddy would expect more. He came into this league when guys like Otto Porter or Harrison Barnes for that matter were getting max second contracts for not comparable production to what Buddy had last season. More on promise. However, those contracts came on the open market in an era of reckless spending that is coming to a close. Teams are coming back down to earth. The stars are demanding more of a share of the extended cap, borderline all stars aren’t getting the max anymore, and the new mid level has been established. 4/90 makes sense...If Buddy thinks he worth more, he can always wait. He can prove he’s worth it this season and they’ll have no choice. As of now, the Kings are operating on the belief that De’Aaron Fox is the player that will demand the max and that other foundational players may command big salaries a couple of years down the road. I don’t think the Kings have any ambition to bring in a huge free agent.

Buddy did himself no favors, especially how he rubbed in the fact that Sacramento isn’t a favorable destination for free agents. We know that. We don’t like being reminded by players for purpose of leverage. Like a market like Sacramento should be especially grateful to have Buddy under club control.
any political correctness ?? aside... very creative avatar

Woah now. “If this were Cousins” argument is silly because there’s a massive huge gigantic enormous monumental talent gap between Buddy and DeMarcus. Wins or losses, Healthy Young DMC was absolutely a max player.

Buddy is an elite 3pt shooter and good teammate. That’s it! He tries on defense, he still sometimes dribbles like the ball is square, his bball IQ isn’t the best. He is not our best player currently. Top 3? Yes. Not the best. Definitely not a max player. No way.
Well the “good teammate” thing is crap, at the moment because he’s being such a distraction.
Funny thing is, i don’t remember cousins ever making comments like this to the media in regards to money.

Trade Buddy for Sabonis.
Neither got the money they think they deserve. Sabonis is on the block. Then kings sign Shump to back up Bogi.

Brogdan is the point guard in Indy and they need wing depth until olapdipo gets healthy. Sabonis and Bags mke a nice front court duo and would help until Giles gets healthy.

Fox, Bogi, Barnes, Bagley, Sabonis is a talented starting 5.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Buddy: "If you say I'm your guy and you want to build around me, I just need you to show it.”
Mick Jones: "I wanna know what love is, I want you to show me, I wanna feel what love is, I know you can show me"
-Foreigner, I Want To Know What Love Is (via Agent Provocateur)

I'm very surprised by people's reactions. He said some honest things in public that should be kept behind closed doors, but they aren't sentiments I can blame him for having. Personally I'd be happy paying him above 25 million per year. I know some people are worried he may regress, but putting the ball in the basket is what he does. It's who he is and who he will be throughout his prime. Buddy and Fox are going to be a top five backcourt for years to come. We have something special with the pair. Maybe it's hard for Kings fans to feel confident about what we have, but Buddy is a straight up stud.
Until we make the playoffs, I’m not impressed by anything any of these guys do for us. He’s taking it too far with his comments after having just ONE good year. Period.

If Buddy gets traded to a contender he will become not the first option but like the second or third option and that won’t get him 30 mill.
I would love to get a top 10 pick for him and he most likely would be in the same boat he is with the Kings.

Trade Buddy for Sabonis.
Neither got the money they think they deserve. Sabonis is on the block. Then kings sign Shump to back up Bogi.

Brogdan is the point guard in Indy and they need wing depth until olapdipo gets healthy. Sabonis and Bags mke a nice front court duo and would help until Giles gets healthy.

Fox, Bogi, Barnes, Bagley, Sabonis is a talented starting 5.
What a amazing dumb move that would be by Indy instead of trading Turner and his overpriced contract they are trading probably the 2nd best player on the team after Victor, Indy just drafted a guy who will be better than Turner in 2-3 seasons in Goga Bitadze. Dam yeah I would do that deal not sure how well Sabonis and Bagley can play together but one can come off the bench and still play starting minutes.

Role playing armchair GM has always been one of my favorite aspects of being a Kings fan. Like a lot of folks on here, if MY advise was followed we may not have won any rings but sure as hell wouldn't be in a 13 year playoff drought.

My advise now, push the China and sinking cap narrative hard with Buddy and shoot for a sub 100 million deal. If he balks then, then i look for a sensible trade for a more versatile 2 guard that is on a more favorable deal. Vlade could kick the tires on some trades over the weekend to see if a trade parter wants us to first extend Buddy for a sign and trade. If nothing materializes then we see what happens during his restricted free agency.

I'm not convinced Buddy is that much better than Bogi and i much prefer Bogi + another starter quality guard over Buddy and a poor backup guard.

Seems to be some ridiculously huge overreactions in here, a lot of people seem to be trashing Buddy and honestly its just stupid. The reality is that this is basically just an act by Buddy and his agent in order to lock up that deal now rather than going through restricted free agency. Its just some extra pressure for the front office to get the deal done so that there wont be these "unhappy player in Sacramento" storylines.

Both sides obviously know what the situation really is. Buddy knows that Kings wont be able to replace him so if he is really worth 80-90mil/4, he can ask 100-110mil/4 and Kings basically have to eventually accept it because of their cap and future asset situation. On the other hand Kings know that this recent "outburst" is just Buddy and his agent trying to avoid restricted free agency since it can be risky. Sometimes as a player you hit a homerun in RFA aka Otto Porter, Crabbe, Tyler Johnson and sometimes RFA f***s you like WCS. Basically for Buddy it means that best case scenario is he could get that max offer sheet in RFA or it could dry up really badly and he could end up signing a shorter deal and try free agency later.

Attacking Buddys character for this is just plain stupid. Dude has always been humble, a quiet team player and a really hard worker for a franchise that has a very unprofessional past and reputation. This is a case where a player is trying to maximize his leverage for his contract negotiations.

It was always clear that Buddy was one of the players we needed to resing. Now we either have to decide to play hard ball and take a risk with him entering RFA or pay him now. All this Bonzi Wells talk should stop since there is absolutely no reason for it and it should be clear to everyone. For both sides its very obvious what the situation is, for some fans it apparrently isnt and they start attacking their player that has been a real pro in his time here and its just bad.

If there is something to draw out of this, the leak to Shams about having second thoughts on that huge Barnes contract was probably the most interesting thing about this whole saga. Seems like FO is realizing they really overpaid for him and it plays a part in these Buddy negotiations

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Seems to be some ridiculously huge overreactions in here, a lot of people seem to be trashing Buddy and honestly its just stupid. The reality is that this is basically just an act by Buddy and his agent in order to lock up that deal now rather than going through restricted free agency. Its just some extra pressure for the front office to get the deal done so that there wont be these "unhappy player in Sacramento" storylines.

Both sides obviously know what the situation really is. Buddy knows that Kings wont be able to replace him so if he is really worth 80-90mil/4, he can ask 100-110mil/4 and Kings basically have to eventually accept it because of their cap and future asset situation. On the other hand Kings know that this recent "outburst" is just Buddy and his agent trying to avoid restricted free agency since it can be risky. Sometimes as a player you hit a homerun in RFA aka Otto Porter, Crabbe, Tyler Johnson and sometimes RFA f***s you like WCS. Basically for Buddy it means that best case scenario is he could get that max offer sheet in RFA or it could dry up really badly and he could end up signing a shorter deal and try free agency later.

Attacking Buddys character for this is just plain stupid. Dude has always been humble, a quiet team player and a really hard worker for a franchise that has a very unprofessional past and reputation. This is a case where a player is trying to maximize his leverage for his contract negotiations.

It was always clear that Buddy was one of the players we needed to resing. Now we either have to decide to play hard ball and take a risk with him entering RFA or pay him now. All this Bonzi Wells talk should stop since there is absolutely no reason for it and it should be clear to everyone. For both sides its very obvious what the situation is, for some fans it apparrently isnt and they start attacking their player that has been a real pro in his time here and its just bad.

If there is something to draw out of this, the leak to Shams about having second thoughts on that huge Barnes contract was probably the most interesting thing about this whole saga. Seems like FO is realizing they really overpaid for him and it plays a part in these Buddy negotiations
You know, everything was going along swimmingly without someone coming along crying about over-reactions. IMHO THAT'S the over-reaction. Just because someone's comment isn't how you view things, doesn't mean it's stupid.

You know, everything was going along swimmingly without someone coming along crying about over-reactions. IMHO THAT'S the over-reaction. Just because someone's comment isn't how you view things, doesn't mean it's stupid.
Well imo its stupid and I gave the reasons in my comment and if you disagree with them then so be it. You can argue them if you want or you can stay with your Bonzi Wells comparisons, doesnt really matter to me.

Also it doesnt really matter to me wether things go swimmingly in here or not, it doesnt really affect my individual opinion. Especially when the thing I said gets categorisized as "crying" when imo its pretty reasonably argued at least compared to any Bonzi Wells comparison. To me talking about Bonzi Wells is more crying about this situation than what I said but thats just my opinion.

The Shams piece is obviously from Buddy's agent, the same type of journalism business that Woj does.

In exchange for breaking news, you write pieces that benefit your insiders. Shams can literally say anything he wants can come from the front office about Barnes remorse. It could be a security guard. Whatever will keep his tweets first to bteak.

I thought I read somewhere else that Shams article got edited afterward, saying that there was no source that said that about the Barnes contract.

Yeah I know that's the quote. I'm just saying I don't see it recorded in video or anything. And I think taken together with the other things he said it's clear he's not thinking he is THE one and only guy, but more part of a core group

Yeah I know that's the quote. I'm just saying I don't see it recorded in video or anything. And I think taken together with the other things he said it's clear he's not thinking he is THE one and only guy, but more part of a core group
The way I read into it is he feels (and correctly so) that he's one of the main cogs to get this team turned around and is seeing a bunch of SG's in his comp range (Beal, McCollum, Derozan, Booker) all get paid $100+mil with a few of them getting max extensions.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...llum&y5=2019&player_id5=mccolcj01&idx=players

Now its fair to say that Buddy's only done it for 1 year, but that's about the only thing you can point to Buddy being a negative with the other 4 SG's on the list. Statisically/impact wise, he was right there with all these guys last season. He's seen vast improvement since becoming King every year and there's no reason to expect regression or for him to stop improving yet. And considering his floor spacing is so freaking important to unlocking our 2 franchise players offensive capability, it makes it even more imperative that we keep him with the core.

Damian Lillard says "I hope he gets every penny he wants. Just dangerous how he's goin about it." Via Instagram. If someone can find the post.

100% agree. Buddy and his agent practically going scorched earth at the beginning of a negotiation. It's ok to put pressure on a team in a negotiation, but he's touching a nerve with the "no big name free agents " comments and then dragging Barnes into the mix.

Chill Buddy. You have no leverage.

Edit: found the link

So they stuck with them too long? Lol ok
Totally agreed. Much like the players they are having to deal with now though, they stuck with them too long rather than getting out earlier and recouping some value if there were concerns. I don't know where players like Buddy and Bogdan sit in relation to that, but it's probably too late as it is. They waited to long to turn the reins over to players like Buddy in the first place and had a whole summer to deal on potential alternatives. They did not, and instead solidified a team of MLE types around that player, so....

Team has no incentive to pay him now.
If Hield doesn’t want the 90 mil.
Wait...See how Hield and the team performs this season.
Kings Brass control everything.

Hield can take the 90mil or take his chances.

When you stick with the logic that you already have your "guys", the chance you take is muddying up the family vibes you've been selling. I mean, it's not like the Kings could possibly be that far off from his settle number with 90 anyway.