Buddy and Bogdan’s extension?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yes, Buddy was excellent at catch and shoot, but he was dam good at shooting off the dribble as well.
I always find my heart in my throat when he dribbles the ball longer than two or three dribbles. I'm wondering how long he can walk across the tight rope before he falls into the abyss.

4 hours ago – via HoopsHype
Another Western Conference executive agreed that he’s not worth the max, telling HoopsHype: “Out of Pascal Siakam, Jaylen Brown, Brandon Ingram and Buddy Hield, , I don’t think any of them will get the max or deserve the max.
If I was running each team, I would force them to play it out. In some situations, keeping their cap holds is so much more beneficial. You should only extend if you get a below-market-value deal or if it’s a no-brainer extension.”

So if the max next yr would be 117m 4 yr, I hope Vlade gets it done for 100m 4 yrs, save the 5 yrs for Fox,Bagley

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I always find my heart in my throat when he dribbles the ball longer than two or three dribbles. I'm wondering how long he can walk across the tight rope before he falls into the abyss.
LOL! Well, I was simply talking about Buddy's ability to create his own shot off the dribble, and of course make that shot. Now talking about Buddy adventuring into the lane with the ball and trying to create for someone else, or finishing at the basket is a different story. I do think his ball handling has improved along with his decision making, but he still has a way to go in that area. However, if Buddy wants to reach the rarefied air of the elite scorers in the league, he needs to get to the line more, and that means attacking the basket more. So buckle up!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
LOL! Well, I was simply talking about Buddy's ability to create his own shot off the dribble, and of course make that shot. Now talking about Buddy adventuring into the lane with the ball and trying to create for someone else, or finishing at the basket is a different story. I do think his ball handling has improved along with his decision making, but he still has a way to go in that area. However, if Buddy wants to reach the rarefied air of the elite scorers in the league, he needs to get to the line more, and that means attacking the basket more. So buckle up!
I'm fully buckled!:D

Imo, one of the keys to this upcoming season is to reign in the Adventures with Buddy somewhat (I don't like bungee jumping, especially when the line is too long). To me, it has a lot to do with where he gets the ball on the floor. In the half court if he's the first guy to get the ball, I'm not optimistic. This would be a situation where Fox just give Buddy the ball on the wing, basically with the idea of Buddy "winging it." On the other hand, if the ball has been swung from side to side and Buddy is the second or third or fourth guy to touch it, I become progressively more optimistic because he has more space to operate, less confusing traffic, and he just doesn't have to make that many decisions with the ball.

Walton needs to let the players be good at what they are good at. Buddy can create his own show better than anyone on the team as a jump shooter. Constantly hammering the ball into the lane via Bogdan and Buddy was and likely still is destined to fail simply because of the type of team they have. It doesn't make sense to pound it inside with those two, at least not as much as they did last year. I've watched some of Buddy's Rico Hines workouts and it looks like he's really been working on his handles. I'm interested to see how it transitions.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Walton needs to let the players be good at what they are good at. Buddy can create his own show better than anyone on the team as a jump shooter. Constantly hammering the ball into the lane via Bogdan and Buddy was and likely still is destined to fail simply because of the type of team they have. It doesn't make sense to pound it inside with those two, at least not as much as they did last year. I've watched some of Buddy's Rico Hines workouts and it looks like he's really been working on his handles. I'm interested to see how it transitions.
I don't like to lump Bogdanovic and Buddy together when talking about their skills, although both players can really shoot the ball. To my mind, at least now, that's where the comparison ends, other than both are SG's. Bogdanovic is a far better ball handler and decision maker, or at least was when last seen. Most of the time when Bog's drives into the lane, it's to create for someone else first, and himself second. It's probably the other way around with Buddy.

However, I'm willing to keep an open mind where Buddy is concerned. He's a very hard worker who wants to be a great player. So I'm willing to wait and see how much he's improved over the summer. I do agree with Kingster to the degree that we don't really need Buddy to be a superstar for the team to win, but, it wouldn't hurt.

I read the Bee’s article a little while ago and was surprised I didn’t see any talk about it here. So thanks for bringing it up.

This is a catch 22 for me. Although the KINGS haven’t said too much, I believe I can see their side of it. And I certainly can see Buddy’s POV.

Everything he says about the value of his shooting is correct. Teams can’t leave him therefore he does draw defenders away from other players thus creating more opportunities. He is among the best shooters in the league.

However, he isn’t a true franchise type player. Just a really good one with a couple specific skill sets. He’s worth a lot of $$ but not MAX type $$ that might hinder the franchise from signing the other really good players they have.

Bogdan is up for extension too. And the KINGS have to be mindful to leave enough in play for Swipa and Bagley down the road.

I hope both sides can come to a realistic deal. Problem is, agents are wired to always get their clients more than they really deserve and the threat to leave with no compensation usually is enough to cause the team to buckle.

The one positive is Buddy genuinely seems to want to be part of this team and city. So hopefully that’ll help get something done.

Buddy Hield wants new deal now

Jason Anderson: Kings guard Buddy Hield opened up about his contract talks with the team tonight, telling me: “I want to make Sacramento my home. I’m ready to get this s— done. I want to be here and if it doesn’t happen, then things can go the other way.”

– via Twitter JandersonSacBee

Get er done Vlade!!! offer 4 yrs 100m
What does he mean by “...if it doesn’t happen, then things can go the other way.”? Isn’t he still under contract for this season?

Or would he do what NFL players do and start holding out of games? Or demand a trade?

Regardless, Kings have to keep no matter what the cost is because he was the main (only?) trade piece from the Cousins trade. If they lose him in free agency, it would be like they had traded Cousins for simply cap space.

I hope Vlade is also working with Bogdan to see what he will sign for. If it is significantly less than Buddy, im not against signing Bogi say 4 to 5 years at 17 to 18 mil over buddy af a 30 Mil max.

Would love to keep them noth, but Buddy is not a Max guy imo. 22 to 23 mil seems about right.

Pay him the max, be done with it.

This aint Jarl Thompandry, Salmons, Randolph, Hill.

Do what you have to do.
They waited this long to really kick the team into high gear with the young players, can't balk now and let players you put franchise level value on walk. Again, it all comes down to the numbers. If Buddy won't budge on a full max the Kings are in a rough spot because Bogdan won't sign an extension I'd bet, and it's a players market next summer.

I hope Vlade is also working with Bogdan to see what he will sign for. If it is significantly less than Buddy, im not against signing Bogi say 4 to 5 years at 17 to 18 mil over buddy af a 30 Mil max.

Would love to keep them noth, but Buddy is not a Max guy imo. 22 to 23 mil seems about right.

It's hard to even gauge anything now. 23 was about right 3 years ago maybe, but things have changed with all that super cap inflating the last few years.

Ugh... I don’t really love Buddy at the max. He deserves to get paid. But not that much.
If Buddy wants the MAX, I would let him play out the season and prove he is worthy of the MAX, while he also risks injury too.

He is a restricted free agent next summer, so we can match next summer, if he gets a max offer.

There is really no incentive for the Kings to offer him a max at this point, the Kings would be the one baring all the risk in that deal.

I'm hoping that Buddy signs for around 4 years/$100 million by next week. If he balks at that, I let him play out the season and the risk of injury and then I match whichever offer he gets next summer.

If Buddy wants the MAX, I would let him play out the season and prove he is worthy of the MAX, while he also risks injury too.

He is a restricted free agent next summer, so we can match next summer, if he gets a max offer.

There is really no incentive for the Kings to offer him a max at this point, the Kings would be the one baring all the risk in that deal.

I'm hoping that Buddy signs for around 4 years/$100 million by next week. If he balks at that, I let him play out the season and the risk of injury and then I match whichever offer he gets next summer.

Perfect analysis. No reason to offer him Max now

No way am I giving him the max unless he becomes a 2 way player this year. And a very good defender too, Buddy at max is untareable and is a bad deal either way.

sign Bogdan at a reasonable price and let him walk

I haven’t heard what Buddy thinks he’s worth. To me he most likely falls in the Barnes range or a little under.

If he wants the Max or in that direction I just can’t see it. Plus what was the problem with the way we handled the Barnes resigning? How about Buddy letting the team know he would love to reconstruct his contract to make sure the Kings will have the flexibility to move forward.

I don't see where Buddy said he wanted a max. Buddy said he wanted to get a deal done. He's a great shooter, he's not a max player, I'm sure everybody on both sides recognizes that, so let's get some sort of deal done and start planning for Fox and Bagley.
he’s gonna ask for the max what nba player that’s decent hasn’t asked for the max lately. Plus Murray got a max he’ll ask for a max deal and sounded like he would