Bucks Trade In Jeopardy: Bogi Didn’t Agree Go to the Bucks

The Bucks may have leaked things but this is still peak Kangz.

Against my better judgement I tuned back in this off-season to give this new (and on paper, promising) new FO a chance. And I will. But without some semblance of a plan and solid moves before next season I think I'll have to hit snooze on my Kings fandom for at least a few seasons.
I guess I’m not seeing Kangz here. Let’s say the kings Bucks discussed this deal and Bogi vetoed it. What can the kings do? The reality is the deal was not going to be official until Friday so it was never a sure thing. If you are referring to the leak, we can’t know who is responsible and it probably doesn’t matter.

I guess I’m not seeing Kangz here. Let’s say the kings Bucks discussed this deal and Bogi vetoed it. What can the kings do? The reality is the deal was not going to be official until Friday so it was never a sure thing. If you are referring to the leak, we can’t know who is responsible and it probably doesn’t matter.
Not that the Kings FO necessarily did anything wrong (we'll have to wait for the smoke to clear to assess blame) but if you told me an NBA team was going to have a sign-and-trade deal reported for days only for the player to say he never agreed to it, I'd lay even money on the Kings against the entire field.

Bogi WAS a "movable piece" when he was making $8.5M last season. If he's spurning the Buck's deal where he likely would have started at $18M or so (based on the salaries involved and caproom) then he must think he can get significantly more.

Bogi at $20-$25M per season is no longer a trade asset. It's an albatross.
This is what 18-25 currently looks like for reference

1605749635880.png

not really arguing what he’s actually worth but he’s probably gonna end up with a contract in that range. or at least he’s gonna hold out for a chance to get that amount, which I wouldn’t fault him for at all
I don't either but it makes little sense for the Kings to match and then try and trade a 28 year old Bogi on a bloated deal if they can sign-and-trade him now.

And I really like Bogi.

It's just not a good move for a bad Kings team.

In case anyone missed it, Brian Windhorst said that Bogi wants to play for the Bucks but wants to sniff around for other offers before signing. Oi Vey
I think this deal still ultimately goes down.

But Bogdan is going to leverage his free agency into a higher salary for himself. This may ultimately save us from having to send Justin James to match salary, if Bogdan gets a higher salary.

But Bogdan is going to leverage his free agency into a higher salary for himself. This may ultimately save us from having to send Justin James to match salary, if Bogdan gets a higher salary.
I'm not sure it works that way but it's all about base year compensation because Bogi will be getting more than a 20% raise and it takes all kinds of cap wizardry to even understand the impact of a larger salary - but essentially either way, Bogi is only counting for 8.5 off our books but whatever the new number is for MIL.

Me too.

I was listening to one of the Nat’l insiders — can’t recall which one — but they emphatically stated that Bogdanovic wants to go to MIL.

This is just damage control by both teams to prevent sanctions. Because the NBA has cracked down on tampering rules and communicating with agents/teams before FA officially begins.

Word is several franchises — almost assuredly those that wanted a shot to pitch Bogdanovic to choose them — complained about the reported agreement and that SAC & MIL were working this deal before they were permitted to.

So this backpedaling is simply a response to it. Probaby by Sun or Mon, this deal will be miraculously revived and announced again.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Me too.

I was listening to one of the Nat’l insiders — can’t recall which one — but they emphatically stated that Bogdanovic wants to go to MIL.

This is just damage control by both teams to prevent sanctions. Because the NBA has cracked down on tampering rules and communicating with agents/teams before FA officially begins.

Word is several franchises — almost assuredly those that wanted a shot to pitch Bogdanovic to choose them — complained about the reported agreement and that SAC & MIL were working this deal before they were permitted to.

So this backpedaling is simply a response to it. Probaby by Sun or Mon, this deal will be miraculously revived and announced again.
I imagine a few of the details might end up a little different just to “throw people off the scent” but this is largely my feeling unless the Hawks decide to call Bogi on his bluff and offer a huge contract just to see what happens.

Buddy. Buddy is an elite shooter. Bogi is good at lots of things but ultimately a good role player
Not to defend Bogi in any way, I was asking for him to be traded the past 2 seasons. But Buddy is not an elite shooter :) Elite shooters don't go on a shooting slump so frequently and don't choke as often as Buddy does. On top of that, I have an issue with players who are constantly unhappy and bitching about stuff (e.g. Buddy in the contract renewal phase, Buddy requesting a trade recently, Buddy being unhappy coming off the bench, etc.).

If there's a way to do it, I'd trade both of them together for a legitimate All-Star player on SG or SF. We need an All-Star player to start to matter in this league. Period.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not to defend Bogi in any way, I was asking for him to be traded the past 2 seasons. But Buddy is not an elite shooter :) Elite shooters don't go on a shooting slump so frequently and don't choke as often as Buddy does. On top of that, I have an issue with players who are constantly unhappy and bitching about stuff (e.g. Buddy in the contract renewal phase, Buddy requesting a trade recently, Buddy being unhappy coming off the bench, etc.).

If there's a way to do it, I'd trade both of them together for a legitimate All-Star player on SG or SF. We need an All-Star player to start to matter in this league. Period.
the dude won the 3 pt contest this season and literally holds multiple records for three point shooting in the league. If that’s not an elite skill then I don’t know what is.

Bruh even people who think the rest of him is so gross it's not worth it admit he's an elite shooter. It's not even arguable. He's the third best shooter in the league and the second best who's currently healthy when you consider his volume and efficiency. You feelings towards his locker room drama is completely irrelevant to his shooting ability.

You also completely misrepresent their trade status just like everyone else complaining about Bogi's return; that's not how that works anymore. They don't GET to trade both of them together for an all-star (not that anyone would go for that) because one is a FA. Restricted sure, but the fact that the Milwaukee return if it doesn't get rescinded was more than scraps was a GD miracle.

If it goes to RFA after all and he signs an offer sheet with someone else other than the Bucks in their very desperate situation then that other team tells us to fork off if we ask for anything more than dead weight they want to cut loose.

Blame Vlade for not trading him as an expiring when he had the chance.

Me too.

I have no evidence, but just get the impression we are working out S&T frameworks with multiple teams. The Kings were adamant with Jason Anderson all week that there was not a confirmed deal. Obviously, the Bucks leaked this—presumably to get Giannis to commit the supermax, which then might assuage any misgivings Bogi might have with going to MIL.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bruh even people who think the rest of him is so gross it's not worth it admit he's an elite shooter. It's not even arguable. He's the third best shooter in the league and the second best who's currently healthy when you consider his volume and efficiency. You feelings towards his locker room drama is completely irrelevant to his shooting ability.

You also completely misrepresent their trade status just like everyone else complaining about Bogi's return; that's not how that works anymore. They don't GET to trade both of them together for an all-star (not that anyone would go for that) because one is a FA. Restricted sure, but the fact that the Milwaukee return if it doesn't get rescinded was more than scraps was a GD miracle.

If it goes to RFA after all and he signs an offer sheet with someone else other than the Bucks in their very desperate situation then that other team tells us to fork off if we ask for anything more than dead weight they want to cut loose.

Blame Vlade for not trading him as an expiring when he had the chance.
One can make the argument that Vlade’s lame duck last season as GM in which he (a) neglected to pick up Harry’s option thus eliminating one asset from our tool chest, (b) hired his BFF as head coach without interviewing anyone else, (c) somehow managed to pee off BOTH of his shooting guards, (d) remained so convinced in the young super team that he traded only some of our vet role players for different vets, no long term assets, and Jabari Parker was almost as damaging to the Kings long term as him passing on Luka.

Last edited:
After the noise, I think it's damage control. That said, certainly don't blame Bogi nor his family nor his agent to squeeze more $. The battery life of a professional athlete is short. Gotta maximize when they can.

Amick providing a lot of intel on Carmichael Dave’s show right now. Sounds like the Holiday trade complicated things significantly—Bogi was suddenly in line to receive less money and have a lesser role on the team than originally imagined.

The Kings also have been talking to other teams about sign and trades and have been asking for a young player and a pick. It sounds like the Kings were set to receive that from the Bucks until the Bucks sent all their picks to New Orleans.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Amick providing a lot of intel on Carmichael Dave’s show right now. Sounds like the Holiday trade complicated things significantly—Bogi was suddenly in line to receive less money and have a lesser role on the team than originally imagined.

The Kings also have been talking to other teams about sign and trades and have been asking for a young player and a pick. It sounds like the Kings were set to receive that from the Bucks until the Bucks sent all their picks to New Orleans.
Huh. Well, that would explain things. Sounds as if the Bucks dropped their offer and publicly announced that a sale was made without us and Bogi agreeing to the new terms. It also seems like the fanbase insistence on getting a pick in a deal like that was completely in line with expectation.

Huh. Well, that would explain things. Sounds as if the Bucks dropped their offer and publicly announced that a sale was made without us and Bogi agreeing to the new terms. It also seems like the fanbase insistence on getting a pick in a deal like that was completely in line with expectation.
Yes, Amick wasn’t sure about Windhorst suggesting that the deal still would get done. He seemed to think there are hard feelings now between the Bucks and Bogi’s camp, and the Kings are more or less caught in the middle through no fault of their own.