Brooks/Evans/Salmons -- Why Its Working

Here is an interesting little nugget from the Bee article:

Entering Saturday, the Kings' lineup of Brooks, Tyreke Evans, John Salmons, Jason Thompson and DeMarcus Cousins had the ninth-best plus-minus ratio (+39) of any five-player combination in the NBA, according to nba.com/stats.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/16/5057476/kings-notes-whos-the-backup-point.html#storylink=cpy
Pretty much support Bricklayer's claims that starters are no the problem for us but it is the bench that is stinking it up. Of course you could always improve the starting line up but its the least of our problems at the moment.

Brooks, Thompson, Salmons would not start for most teams in the league. im not sure who u think these 4 guys are we have that would start on most teams
I think Thompson would. Tiago Splitter/Boris Diaw start for the Spurs. You're telling me Tiago Splitter is more talented than Jason Thompson? And this isn't looking down on Splitter by the way - heck all the Spurs guys are used so bliddy well by their coach that they all appear like very very fine players.

Brooks, Thompson, Salmons would not start for most teams in the league. im not sure who u think these 4 guys are we have that would start on most teams
JT would start for a lot of teams in the league. Play off teams too!

JT is an underrated player here. He is just about as good a 3rd big / spot starter as a team could dream of. He would start on a number of play off teams. Heck he would be a starting C on a stacked Miami team.

I am confident in saying that Cousins, Reke, Thornton and JT would be starting on a long list of NBA teams some of which are play off teams and contenders.

JT is an underrated player here. He is just about as good a 3rd big / spot starter as a team could dream of. He would start on a number of play off teams. Heck he would be a starting C on a stacked Miami team.

I am confident in saying that Cousins, Reke, Thornton and JT would be starting on a long list of NBA teams some of which are play off teams and contenders.
The thing is, these players would start for a lot of teams but they wouldn't be close to the best players on those teams. They would be solid starters but they wouldn't be the main option. The NBA is a star driven league and you must have a players that can win their matchups almost all the time. The Kings don't have that right now. If Reke can make outside jumpers like he has been than he has the potential to be one of those players and Cousins could be a dominate force if he can play within himself and keep his head on straight.

please dont take this post as JT hatred. i like JT, i love his effort, hustle, rebounding. im just trying to prove that our roster is not that great.
JT's offense (besides spot up mid range jumpers) is absolute garbage. i dont think most teams would want him starting. u say most teams would have him starting? just what teams are u referring to??????

would he start over Gasol in LA? NO
over Randolph in Mem? NO
over Griffin in LA? NO
over Aldridge in Por? NO
over Love in Minn? NO
over Ibaka in OKC? NO
over Farried in Den? NO
over Josh Smith in ATL? NO
over Amare in NY? NO
over Garnett in Bos? NO
over Bosh in MIA? NO
over Dirk in Dal? NO
over Nene in Was? NO
over Scola in PHX? NO
over Humpries in BKN? NO
over David West in IND? NO
over Boozer in CHI? NO
over Ryan Anderson in NO? debateable, but probably not, id rather have Anderson here as our starter
over David Lee in GS? NO
over Bargnani in TOR? NO
over Millsap in Utah? NO
even over big baby Davis is ORL he wouldnt start.

so how exactly can u say he would start on most teams, even playoff teams lol. maybe he would start in Detroit over Maxiel lol

L

LWP777

please dont take this post as JT hatred. i like JT, i love his effort, hustle, rebounding. im just trying to prove that our roster is not that great.
JT's offense (besides spot up mid range jumpers) is absolute garbage. i dont think most teams would want him starting. u say most teams would have him starting? just what teams are u referring to??????

over Randolph in Mem? NO
over Griffin in LA? NO
over Aldridge in Por? NO
over Love in Minn? NO
over Ibaka in OKC? NO
over Farried in Den? NO
over Amare in NY? NO
over Garnett in Bos? NO
over Bosh in MIA? NO
over Dirk in Dal? NO
over Nene in Was? NO
over Scola in PHX? NO
over Humpries in BKN? NO
over Boozer in CHI? NO
over Ryan Anderson in NO? debateable, but probably not, id rather have Anderson here as our starter
over David Lee in GS? NO
over Bargnani in TOR? NO
over Millsap in Utah? NO

so how exactly can u say he would start on most teams, even playoff teams lol. maybe he would start in Detroit over Maxiel lol
Thank you for clearing up the confusion. Some of the posters here are delusional!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Cousins + Reke = most

Thompson and Thornton = some significant number. In the latter 2 guy's cases they woudl be pick'ems with the other teams' starters, and it would all be a question of fit or strategy, the very areas where we fall down.

Bricklayer

over Randolph in Mem? NO
over Griffin in LA? NO
over Aldridge in Por? NO
over Love in Minn? NO
over Ibaka in OKC? NO
over Farried in Den? NO
over Amare in NY? NO
over Garnett in Bos? NO
over Bosh in MIA? NO
over Dirk in Dal? NO
over Nene in Was? NO
over Scola in PHX? NO
over Humpries in BKN? NO
over Boozer in CHI? NO
over David Lee in GS? NO
over Bargnani in TOR? NO
over Millsap in Utah? NO

I wasn't aware that teams started only 1 big.

And I never said Jason would start on most teams around the league, although he is as good as the #2 big on maybe half of them, and the #3 big on all buit a handful.

The only bigs rotation I can think of where JT wouldn't be a 25+ minute guy would be Utah. Every other team would fully take advantage of an incredibly consistent, efficient, 11-8 big who works his *** off every minute he's on the floor.

Bricklayer

Here is an interesting little nugget from the Bee article:

Pretty much support Bricklayer's claims that starters are no the problem for us but it is the bench that is stinking it up. Of course you could always improve the starting line up but its the least of our problems at the moment.
Okay -- now I'm pissed. Know why? I crunched those damn numbers myself. Had no idea NBA.com kept them somewhere. Crap. :p

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Sure they could start. They just can't start together.

I'm not too worried about whether they would start elsewhere personally, I'm more worried about the coach recognising their individual strengths and playing to them.

I'm one of the few who actually wanted to give Smart a good look this season, with the full pre season and summer league coming in, i did want to see his "philosophy" play out. But clearly he either doesn't have one, or is incapable of implementing one.

Oh and James Johnson is one of the worst ball stoppers I've ever seen in my life. And i actually thought he'd help us after a couple of pre season looks. Dear me.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Actually, he can play center quite well, and if you break down his numbers, he performs better when playing center than when playing PF. I might add, that he played center at Rider. If the Kings had another good PF to start next to Cousins, then JT would be the perfect backup center off the bench, that could also play some PF.

Actually, he can play center quite well, and if you break down his numbers, he performs better when playing center than when playing PF. I might add, that he played center at Rider. If the Kings had another good PF to start next to Cousins, then JT would be the perfect backup center off the bench, that could also play some PF.
I.e. that #5 pick we drafted from Kansas who was pretty good in college.

well, i can agree with your argument that he would make a nice backup Center behind Cousins. but i dont think hes a starting calibur Center for most teams in the league

A few of us have long claimed now that that is JT's best spot and if you can afford to have JT coming off the bench it's a luxury because it would suggest that you have a better player at both C and PF in your starting line up.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
well, i can agree with your argument that he would make a nice backup Center behind Cousins. but i dont think hes a starting calibur Center for most teams in the league
I never suggested that he was. However, the Heat might start him and move Bosh back to PF. They could certainly use a 6'11" player that can rebound and score a little.