Bring back Harry Giles

In the likely event that the Kings lose Richaun Holmes in free agency, we will be looking for some cheap front court depth this off season. Harry Giles will be a free agent and the Kings should be able to sign him for the veterans minimum.

Giles and the Kings played some of their best basketball at the end of the 2019-20 season, when Giles started for an injured Holmes. He looked like he could become a solid bench big for the Kings, before Monte decided to let him go. Harry looked good in the preseason for Portland, but was buried on their bench during the season.

The Kings may lose Holmes and I'm sure Giles will be looking for another opportunity. Walton knew how to utilize Giles and Giles played some good ball under Walton in the 2nd half of the 2019-20 season. HGIII is still young, only 23 years old.

Provided Giles knees are healthy, I think the Kings should give HGIII another chance and bring him back on a veterans minimum deal this summer. HGIII loved Sacramento and I'm sure if Monte offered a contract, he would come back to Sactown.

Last edited:
No thanks, I think we've seen what he can do. I'd rather look for a scrappy guy in the second round, or find a better rim protector. Harry can pass & all, but I'd rather go fishing elsewhere. We shoulda kept Frank the Tank.

I liked Harry Giles well enough, but even despite his relative youth, there is little chance he'll break through here or anywhere else.

Kings fans seem to have a strange habit of pining for mediocrities after they've left Sacramento, which is particularly odd considering this franchise's futility across the last decade-and-a-half (and our general dissatisfaction with the roster at any given moment during that span). Why bring back any journeyman player who didn't move the needle before and is unlikely to do so in the future? Let's move on. It's not enough for a guy to love Sacramento, despite the insistence of our collective inferiority complex. Pushing forward is likely to be a more productive strategy than looking back.

It's important for any GM to lock down key role players on reasonable deals, but the NBA is a spin cycle for towards-the-end-of-benchers like Giles.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
only in the offseason will a thread like this come into existence. are we running out of topics to discuss until Tuesday?

If we signed Giles, it would be a league minimum deal. It’s not like we are breaking the bank if we brought him back.

If we are trying to bring in players with upside and still young, why not give HG another shot on a cheap deal? We know he can contribute and we know big men typically don’t start filling out their body and game until they are 3-5 years in the league. At the very least he could be your 3rd center and best case a spot starter.

I'd rather keep Jones and Metu tbh, as much as I loved Giles. They both showed some solid promise last season and had stints/skills that looked like they could develop into rotational guys down the line. Keep the progress on developing them and the time invested from last season.
We would still keep Metu and Jones. If we lose Holmes, as expected, we will still need some bigs to fill out the depth chart.

We would still keep Metu and Jones. If we lose Holmes, as expected, we will still need some bigs to fill out the depth chart.
I guess, but I don't think Giles would leap-frog Metu or Jones on the depth chart. Jones was incredibly solid in his 12-15 MPG with some solid rebounding and rim protection, especially against bigger C's. Metu wasn't consistent, but flashed real upside on both ends of the court and positional versatility to play the 4 or 5.

If Holmes walked, I think the plan would be to go get a real rotational/near starting caliber C to replace him. Think Noel/Theis/Kelly O type while we let Bagley sink or swim with more C minutes. We really would only need 1 big on Depth chart, especially if the draft ends up being Jalen Johnson/Barnes/Kuminga/Wagner as the 3/4 flex wing.

Fox || Wright
Hali || Davis || Ramsey
Hield || 1st round pick || Woodard
Harrison Barnes || 1st round pick || Metu || Woodard
Bagley || Noel? || Jones

Hopefully we can ink Holmes on the early bird rights and spend the MLE on bringing in another wing (Hart? THT?) to continue forward progress as a team. Would be a pretty substantial step back and a pretty big blunder from McNair if we lose Holmes for nothing.

Hopefully we can ink Holmes on the early bird rights and spend the MLE on bringing in another wing (Hart? THT?) to continue forward progress as a team. Would be a pretty substantial step back and a pretty big blunder from McNair if we lose Holmes for nothing.
I agree on the first part but not sure on the bolded. It seems pretty clear the Kings want to re-sign Holmes. The only thing that prevents that from happening is another team coming in with an offer outside our range. At this point that seems likely but what can Monte do about it?

Monte had two choices: Trade Holmes at the deadline even though the Kings had very little leverage or take the risk that his market is within our budget and re-sign him/lose him. Now if the Kings had no intention of re-signing him and they were just chasing the play in, that would be a blunder.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I guess, but I don't think Giles would leap-frog Metu or Jones on the depth chart. Jones was incredibly solid in his 12-15 MPG with some solid rebounding and rim protection, especially against bigger C's. Metu wasn't consistent, but flashed real upside on both ends of the court and positional versatility to play the 4 or 5.

If Holmes walked, I think the plan would be to go get a real rotational/near starting caliber C to replace him. Think Noel/Theis/Kelly O type while we let Bagley sink or swim with more C minutes. We really would only need 1 big on Depth chart, especially if the draft ends up being Jalen Johnson/Barnes/Kuminga/Wagner as the 3/4 flex wing.

Fox || Wright
Hali || Davis || Ramsey
Hield || 1st round pick || Woodard
Harrison Barnes || 1st round pick || Metu || Woodard
Bagley || Noel? || Jones

Should be noted that there are also a lot of good big men prospects in the second round of the draft this year as well.

I think if the kings cannot resign holmes the primary plan should be to put a package around barnes, bagley, or Buddy, the pick or some combo of the above to bring in myles turner. Reasonable 3 pt shooter, athletic target in PnR and a exceptional rim protector. Can play next to bagley, jones or metu and at either 4 or 5. Short of him, id target Noel followed by Olynyk or Theiss.