Breaking news...Adelman era over (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Circa_1985_Fan said:
I have a feeling that not only have they(Maloofs) decided on a coach, they also have decided on NOT re-signing Bonzi, too. I think that they are taking the 'cheap' route and handing over the SG position to Martin, but THAT will play out in the upcoming weeks. Stay tuned for a VERY interesting offseason...
I have a feeling you're about 180 degrees off. But you're right. We'll see how that part plays out in the coming weeks.

The Maloofs may have brought in Artest, but by firing a coach he liked, they are (at least) mortgaging his future with the Kings.

Bad move, IMO. You guys took the defending champ Spurs to six, easily could have been up 3-1 with a slightly different bounce, had the 2nd or 3rd best record in the league with Artest, and now you're looking for a coach. I just hope the Maloofs are smarter than the brain trust in Seattle which brought Bob Weiss out of mothballs. What a disaster that was.

As a Spurs fan, I take no joy in this decision. Please leave PJ Carlissimo alone, too. :)

Seriously, good luck - I hope you can find a good replacement for Adelman. It won't be easy.

Good. Bout time. However, the question remains: Who's the next coach? Nelson? Bring Adelman back if thats the case. Can do better than that.

vj9999 said:
If they have a pre recorded statement, can they give it to Chloe first to clean it up and digitally enhance?
lol- my roomy and i are 24 freaks..i had to bring him in here to read this one

KMart23 said:
telling a player to be something is one thing, allowing him grow into that position is another. if it weren't for bonzi going down midseason and forcing adelman's hand to play kmart... kmart wouldn't be as confident in his game.
He didn't do this, bonzi wanted those minutes dude, you crazy if you think bonzi wanted to sacrfice minutes in his Contract money year. He needed those minutes, He just knew he was hurting the team because they were winning a Doing good with his butt on the bench, He knew he wasn't healthy and he needed time to rest that groin injury because he knew he would risk missing the Season. Adleman was being the players coach that he is and giving bonzi seniority and knowing as a players coach that bonzi needed the playing time for his contract year.

B

beemerr23

I think you have to go one way or the other. The Maloofs have realized that defense wins you games. Artest and Bonzi punish you in the post, something we haven't had for a while. I think they also realize that Adelman & Co. aren't defensive minded coaches which will not mesh with this team. So with that being said, I also see Miller leaving.

beemerr23 said:
I think you have to go one way or the other. The Maloofs have realized that defense wins you games. Artest and Bonzi punish you in the post, something we haven't had for a while. I think they also realize that Adelman & Co. aren't defensive minded coaches which will not mesh with this team. So with that being said, I also see Miller leaving.
AMEN BABY..AAAAAAMEN!

Dude's been wanting to leave with his subtle, indirect comments about "putting up with it for the next couple of years" and "looking forward to going back to Indiana". He does not want to be here.

ok guys and gals- i dont have time to read 11 pages..gimme the update was adelman fired/ did he quit/ is he replaced- whats going on here

Couple of things... I agree VF, Petrie needs to acquire a few more pieces to become a real defensive team. As far as which coach's I would look at, well, Stan Van Gundy is one, Terry Porter is another (my preference), and possibly Larry Brown in some miracle instance. Actually that brings up another point i want to make. Look at the Pistons after winning a title letting Brown go. While I am not sure how the majority of the fans reacted to that, I am sure some were wondering who would be better than him.

The Maloofs suck?

Oh yeah, those morons made the stupid decision to hire Adelman 8 years ago. Look how many playoffs they have played in since then.

I am sure having Jim Thomas as the owner would make this glorious team.

Dang it, I was going to put this in my last post but forgot.

Just because RA is gone doesn't mean Pete Carril will be as well. His ties are more in line with Petrie than RA I believe. Although, I could be wrong on that. Pete Carril in my opinion is the one, not RA, who really is to credit for the rookies developing.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
Um...Carlisimo?? Because thats the only PJ we have a shot at.
Yes thats who I am talking about. He has had a few years under what I consider to be the best coach in the NBA. A lot of time has passed since the "Spree" thing and I think overall he is a good coach.

I think the best coaches are ones that have been under / asst's for great coaches. AKA PJ

Circa_1985_Fan said:
I dont think thats too far off, once the season ends, and the July 1st free agent time comes around, I think that a few moves will be made.
Him or Bibby. Bibby is easier to trade since passing centers are hard to come by. However, if we can unload both for a phenomenal PG and a decent C/PF, I wouldn't mind. A package of Bibby/KT perhaps? Even SAR isn't out of the question. Man, Petrie will have a lot of tinkering to do. I do see Bonzi being given an offer. If Bonzi will take it is another thing.

beemerr23 said:
Tr dunn was a all league Defender and ET was noted in his playing Days as a Good Defender his coaching staf had a good Balance with Dunn and turner and Rick and pete, The maloofs don't know anything about Hoops in my observation. In order to play Defense you need the personel, The kings led the league in Defensive field goal percenatge in 2002-2003. The Developemnet of Ron artest and bonzi was due to rick aldeman' free flowing coaching style, something ron couldn't do in Indiana and Bonzi didn't do in memphis.

How about any of the San Antonio assistant coaches? Anyone there? Wasn't Avery an assistant coach in SA? Look at him make Dallas better.

BigWaxer said:
Yes thats who I am talking about. He has had a few years under what I consider to be the best coach in the NBA. A lot of time has passed since the "Spree" thing and I think overall he is a good coach.

I think the best coaches are ones that have been under / asst's for great coaches. AKA PJ
PJ won't be good For ron artest, He would be like carlise or some other overated Goon. Ron needs a players coach, too much discipline and He will go crazy

nbrans said:
lol. Ron Artest for player/coach!!!
That's what I was thinking. He has turned the team around 180 degrees this season since he came here, at least on a short time basis. Artest has my vote, I just hope he doesn't blow. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
JJ22L said:
ok guys and gals- i dont have time to read 11 pages..gimme the update was adelman fired/ did he quit/ is he replaced- whats going on here
Adelman out. Details to be released at a news conference at 3 p.m. Most likely nothing to be announced about a replacement at this point.

Hmmm...I don't like the way this is panning out, but I can't say I didn't expect it. I'll withhold my reactions until I find out who's replacing him. For now, I'd like to thank Rick for 8 straight years of exciting, damn-near championship basketball. "Close, but no cigar" seems to be the story of his career, and I hope that will change for him one day should he continue coaching.

Let me be the first to say DO NOT hire Don Nelson!!!

My preferences:

1) Terry Porter
2) Elston Turner
3) Doc Rivers
4) SVG
5) Vlade Divac

The Maloofs suck?

Yeah, those morons hired Adelman 8 years ago to begin with, and look how many straight playoffs the Kings have been in since then.

I am sure having Jim Thomas as owner would make this a glorious team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I love Vlade. Bringing him in as a coach, however, would be the furthest thing from my mind. I simply cannot see him bringing discipline and focus on defense into the mix...

What I hope we don't see is an endless procession of prospective coaches passing through town with pages and pages of speculation in the sportsblogs about who is in and who is out. One of the best things about the Kings is that they keep their business to themselves and are the exact opposites of someone like Isaih Thomas in New York. Yuk! How can players in that type of environment be successful when speculation is looking over their shoulders 24/7? Whomever the coach becomes he must mesh with the existing players and their skills, not mold them into his system. As presently constituted we're about two players away from contention...a defensive minded, shot blocking, rebounding PF that can finish on the pick and roll with Bibby (as an alternative to using Ron or Bonzi on the low post) and a decent backup PG. Now, if Bonzi leaves then we'll need another high percentage shooting SG to split time with Kevin because, IMHO, he's not ready for full time starting duty yet.

VF21 said:
Adelman out. Details to be released at a news conference at 3 p.m. Most likely nothing to be announced about a replacement at this point.
thanks VF...damn...what im worried about is the fallout with artest..