Breaking news...Adelman era over (merged)

I stated it would be a retirement because that's what a guy would do if he were fed up with his situation - react quickly and leave. The Maloofs and Petrie haven't even got together yet to discuss what to do next. They wouldn't burn that bridge this early. I think it's Adelman's call.

JB_kings said:
I stated it would be a retirement because that's what a guy would do if he were fed up with his situation - react quickly and leave. The Maloofs and Petrie haven't even got together yet to discuss what to do next. They wouldn't burn that bridge this early. I think it's Adelman's call.
We will see. But, as someone else pointed out, even if it's Rick's call, it only a result of how he's been treated. First the Kobe thing,then not offering an extension in a timely manner, and finally, quote after quote in the press making it clear that they aren't committed to keep him around. The man deserves some pride, and I don't think I'd stick around if I was him.

Wow, this is kinda unexpected, coming less than a week after the season ends...but I guess its time to move on, for both parties. Regardless of how I felt about the Maloofs decision to alienate themselves, the team, and Petrie when they went after Jackson last year, it is obviously time. Van Gundy?? Nah, not our style...Porter?? Nah, still too inexperienced as a coach to handle the likes of Ron and Bonzi, as a 'manager'. Nelson??...bingo!! Not my ideal replacement, but who's left? Just hope it isnt a Dick Motta situation all over again...old school...wow.

kupman said:
Why must everyone diss' on the Maloofs? Talk about "bite the hand that feeds you."
Because they direspected the best coach this franchise has ever had? Because of the gold jerseys? Because of their stupid decisions? The only thing good they have done is to push for Ron Artest. I wont deny that. But they SUCK. Hard.

Rick Adelman meant more to this team to me than those two bozos do.

Next stop Las Vegas.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
Wow, this is kinda unexpected, coming less than a week after the season ends...but I guess its time to move on, for both parties. Regardless of how I felt about the Maloofs decision to alienate themselves, the team, and Petrie when they went after Jackson last year, it is obviously time. Van Gundy?? Nah, not our style...Porter?? Nah, still too inexperienced as a coach to handle the likes of Ron and Bonzi, as a 'manager'. Nelson??...bingo!! Not my ideal replacement, but who's left? Just hope it isnt a Dick Motta situation all over again...old school...wow.
I hope and pray that Nelson does not come here as the coach.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kupman said:
Why must everyone diss' on the Maloofs? Talk about "bite the hand that feeds you."
People are entitled to their opinions. They were also pretty vocal when the Maloofs went behind Petrie's back and approached Phil Jackson's coach. Fans - a lot of whom spend THOUSANDS of dollars every year in season tickets - have EVERY right to protest a decision they do not think is in the best interest of "their" team.

It's pretty much what message boards are all about. And notice they're talking about the Maloofs and a business decision. They're not making it into a personal vendetta or anything.

This is a huge change for the Kings. Some will support it but the prevailing opinion right now is that it is quiestionable to say the least...

BigWaxer said:
How can you fire someone when the contract is over?
you can't. I think technically his contract goes through August (correct me if I'm wrong), so I guess you could let him go a few months early. "dismissal" was just a word used in a Sac Bee article (we all know how accuruate they are at times), so who knows. I'm guessing that we will either hear that Adelman has decided to retire, or that the Maloofs have announced that they are not going to extend his contract.

kupman said:
I agree with the principle but you have it backwards. Fans make the Maloofs money, not the other way around. They are not above criticism.

Tmassfan4life said:
This will go down in history as the ultimate blunder by the Maloofs. May they rot in hell for this.
Wow! Now this is an obvious sign of a non objective "fan". I wish people would stop and think before reacting on pure emotion. You do realize that the Maloof brothers have done a lot of great things for this city and team don't you? 8 straight years in the playoffs is no accident. They spend money and spend it pretty wisely. I am not saying they are perfect owners, but for people to call for their head is mind boggling. Maybe we can trade owners with the Hawks or 76ers or something. Would that make you happy.

RA was and is a great coach. I am neither pleased nor dissapointed in this decision. The team showed fight towards the end of the season which you have to credit him partially for, however, the team is also obviously in transition to become more defensive minded and in my opinion left the door open for a more defensive minded coach to come and replace RA. I trust the Maloof bros and Petrie enough to wait and see what they decide to do.

You know alot of people will bring up Ricks inability to win with a team full of talent. How about the Mavericks... He had who is now the two time MVP (who he didn't allow to run the show, because he was too busy running pick and rolls all day), Dirk Nowitzki (MVP candidate) Michael Finley, a good Nick Van Exel, Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, as well as a few other good players. Come on now, please don't tell me Nelson is better than Rick. I will honestly be sick if he becomes coach.

I just hope the Maloofs have a very, very good plan to replace Rick. Right now my money is on Terry Porter. But right now I'm definitely holding my breath.

Kingsroots said:
Wow! Now this is an obvious sign of a non objective "fan". I wish people would stop and think before reacting on pure emotion. You do realize that the Maloof brothers have done a lot of great things for this city and team don't you? 8 straight years in the playoffs is no accident. They spend money and spend it pretty wisely. I am not saying they are perfect owners, but for people to call for their head is mind boggling. Maybe we can trade owners with the Hawks or 76ers or something. Would that make you happy.

RA was and is a great coach. I am neither pleased nor dissapointed in this decision. The team showed fight towards the end of the season which you have to credit him partially for, however, the team is also obviously in transition to become more defensive minded and in my opinion left the door open for a more defensive minded coach to come and replace RA. I trust the Maloof bros and Petrie enough to wait and see what they decide to do.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I also like how you put "fan" in quotes.

nbrans said:
I just hope the Maloofs have a very, very good plan to replace Rick. Right now my money is on Terry Porter. But right now I'm definitely holding my breath.
I think there's about a 10% chance that TP gets the job, and about 90% to Don Nelson.

Tmassfan4life said:
Because they direspected the best coach this franchise has ever had? Because of the gold jerseys? Because of their stupid decisions? The only thing good they have done is to push for Ron Artest. I wont deny that. But they SUCK. Hard.

Rick Adelman meant more to this team to me than those two bozos do.

Next stop Las Vegas.
The gold jerseys.......LOL. But honestly, these guys have made the Kings a franchise to be reckoned with. I am an RA fan and if I owned the Kings I would have signed him for another 4-5 years. However, my opinion on the matter does not change my opinion this matter - the Maloofs are on the short list of top owners in the league.

kupman said:
The gold jerseys.......LOL. But honestly, these guys have made the Kings a franchise to be reckoned with. I am an RA fan and if I owned the Kings I would have signed him for another 4-5 years. However, my opinion on the matter does not change my opinion this matter - the Maloofs are on the short list of top owners in the league.
I agree they are among the top owners......maybe I've let my rage blind me. I just cant sit with this decision. It really has me upset.

Tmassfan4life said:
I agree they are among the top owners......maybe I've let my rage blind me. I just cant sit with this decision. It really has me upset.
If only we knew what happened when the cameras and mics go off, behind closed doors...

Kingsroots said:

Too be defensive minded you need players that are Defensive minded, You must spend over the salary cap to obtain those Defensive minded players. The kings led the league in field goal defensive percentage 2002-2003, Defense was instructed, But the last 3 seasons the Kings didn't have the defensive tools to become a defensive minded ball club. Your defensive anchors in the starting lineup in the front and back were liabilities in mike bibby at the point of Defensive penetration and Brad miller the goalie. You must have the players that can play Defense for you to be Defensive minded

kupman said:
I agree completely.

VF21 said:
It's pretty much what message boards are all about. And notice they're talking about the Maloofs and a business decision. They're not making it into a personal vendetta or anything.
.... I was just expressing my opinion on the board.....and "maloofs suck" and "maloofs should rot in hell" are more than an opinion on a business decision. But you are right, everyone is free to express their opinions - I personally love the guys.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kupman said:
Word.

I was just thinking how odd it was that when we had milktoast players like Peja, etc and really needed a kick-*** type coach to push certain guys how disenchanted I was with RA. And now that we have some tough guy/strong personality types that respond best to RA's style he's more or less forced out/not wanted. Is this franchise cursed? We've all bemoaned the key injuries to players at the worst possible times in the past. Are we destined to be the Boston Red Sox of the NBA? What has this franchise done since letting the Big O get away to Milwaukee? Is letting RA go just the latest in a long line of miscues?