Brandon Jennings #4

That was more what I was thinking. Well, except the part about having an equall bad head coach in front of them. But an assistant gig, or a consultant, or just something. I don't think Jennings knows how to make decisions and run a team right now, I don't think he's going to learn it from Beno, and even if Bobby came back, which is far from a given, he never really saw the game as a pure PG anyway, and would probably just end up trashing the kid's car. Porter and Cheeks were both smart, cerebral championship level PGs -- if I had a young ball of undirected talent those are the sorts of guys I would want there as potential mentors.

There is also the Avery possibility (a championship PG himself), although the fact we have interviewed guys like Jordan and Westphal and are ow heading into the assistant ranks and have not brought him in for a talk tells me that one side or the other probably isn't interested. Shaw might fit that mold too, although he wasn't a great point so much as just clutch roleplayer.

Can't the mentor role be filled in by an assistant? Why not just go the Kareem-Bynum bromance route and look for a Sam Cassell(just a name) to mentor and hang out with this kid. Then Head Coach X can concentrate on the entire team of holes.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That was more what I was thinking. Well, except the part about having an equall bad head coach in front of them. But an assistant gig, or a consultant, or just something. I don't think Jennings knows how to make decisions and run a team right now, I don't think he's going to learn it from Beno, and even if Bobby came back, which is far from a given, he never really saw the game as a pure PG anyway, and would probably just end up trashing the kid's car. Porter and Cheeks were both smart, cerebral championship level PGs -- if I had a young ball of undirected talent those are the sorts of guys I would want there as potential mentors.

There is also the Avery possibility (a championship PG himself), although the fact we have interviewed guys like Jordan and Westphal and are ow heading into the assistant ranks and have not brought him in for a talk tells me that one side or the other probably isn't interested. Shaw might fit that mold too, although he wasn't a great point so much as just clutch roleplayer.
Hell, why not bring back Mark Jackson back to basketball. There's a guy that made the most anyone could out of limited talent. He certainly knows something about playing the position.

I've always liked Avery Johnson--he is very personable guy and you have to love anyone who can add two more syllables to the word ball!

As far as the pick is concerned--go with Jennings. International intrigue, inevitable national media attention, will put some butts in seats. He may even remind a few of JWill. And although I'm certtain his first year will be a bit rocky I think much like JWill he'll bring some excitement and this town is in dire need of a little excitement.

I know Goeff Petrie prides himself on being contrarian and will more than likely go with whomever he sees fit much to the chagrin of the ownership who is desperate to bring a "name" in. Just go to the offical website. They are using the high pick as a selling point.

You know, I'm warming up to this. It's still disappointing considering the season the Kings had, but if you would have told me in November that the Kings would have the 4th pick in the draft and would have a shot at Brandon Jennings, I'd be ok with that.

My fear is that the Kings won 17 games and lost 65, and will be drafting a player no better than their current best player. If that happens to you as a team then you are screwed.

Jennings is one of the only real possibles at that fourth spot that may end up better. Yet, I am likely reaching by even saying that.

My fear is that the Kings won 17 games and lost 65, and will be drafting a player no better than their current best player. If that happens to you as a team then you are screwed.

Jennings is one of the only real possibles at that fourth spot that may end up better. Yet, I am likely reaching by even saying that.
They were going to be a 30 win team with Griffin. They'll be 17-25 with Rubio or Jennings. They've got a long way to go, and there's gonna need to be another big piece in the offing.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Indeed.

Griffin wasnt going to do anything but make us miss out on next draft's star players (and theres a few).

I am way down with Jennings the more I think about it. We suck next season, maybe gain a couple wins due to the growth of JT and Hawes, get a top 5 pick. Season after that Jennings starts coming into his own. We're back on track.

If the kings draft Jennings it'll finally have a guard who can push the ball, penetrate the paint and break down defense. It's really a matter of how the kings develop Jennings. He should be an extremely agressive player who drives constantly but more than likely princeton offense will try to convert him into a pick and pop pg.

The kid is homesick! He said just that in his Real Sports interview. I know that if I were an 18 or 19-year-old young man away form home for the first time, struggling to establish myself amongst bigger, more physical and older men rather than staying relatively close to home and dominating against my peers while being coddled and revered I may develop a sense of inadequacy that would inevitably influence my play. As the old cliché goes, the game is more mental than physical. I really think this kid is going to turn some heads in the NBA. I think the Italian excursion humbled him immensely. Much more than a year in college would have.

But will LIKELY be the biggest BUST of the draft... Evans/Harden/DeRozan all are Higher Reward with far less risk involved with them.
Ummmm... no. Harden has limited upside due to his lack of athleticism, DeRozan is one of the most likely candidates to bust (He hasn't showed ANYTHING other than in few games at the end of the season), and Evans is a ball hogging SG in a PG role.

They're all worth looking at for sure, but dont trash on Jennings for the excuse that all those players have less risk and a higher upside. It's ridiculous and uninformed.

I don't like Thabeet either but at the end of the day, he'll help us win more games than Jennings.
I can't say that I'm very high on either player.

I have seen more of Thabeet, and I can't get the image of Duane Causwell out of my head. Makes a lot of the same mistakes as Causwell and doesn't seem to have good hands (not as bad as Causwell, though). He also gets pushed around by stronger players. Blair of Pittsburg did whatever he wanted against him this year, and Blair is strong but only about 6'7.

All I have seen of Jenning are highlights and stats, and neither have blown my socks off. I like that he has potential, but don't like using the 4th pick in the draft strictly on potential.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
On a related note, I didn't realize Oscar Robertson was this awesome:

On talk of a minimum age limit in the NBA:
“I would say this - what about the kids going to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do they go at 18? They do. Yep. That answers that question then. I think what you see now is some talks that may have gone on between the NBA and NCAA about keeping stars in college so the colleges can make a revenue off of them.”
From Sports Radio Interviews.com

I don't know how European stats translate over to the league, but I agree that Jennings has the potential to be a very good passer in the NBA--he's second on his team in assists per 40 minutes (amazing because he has little primacy and is very young), gets nearly 1 assist for every 2 shot attempts, (again second on his team) and perhaps most importantly posted the best assist per turnover ratio on his team, and also the best assist/possession. I thought that he was more of a combo gunner who looked to shoot, but if he's posting those numbers it shows he's looking to pass and he's pretty successful at it, so it bodes well for him. I think he played in a big enough sample space (27 games, 17 mpg) to say that those numbers are fairly legit as well.

Other things--the guy can steal the ball, he was by and far away the best stealer on his team. I guess the primary concern right now is that he can't really shoot--he shot terribly from international three and took a lot of shots from there, and didn't really show an ability to get to the line because of that--so have to wonder about how efficient he can really be offensively. But shooting's the easiest thing to improve in the league, and he has the jets and athleticism to get to the basket in the NBA level, so that shouldn't be a real concern. Anyway, I'm starting to like this kid--between the speed/athleticism in combination with the stealing and passing ability, he can really fill a lot of holes. Sure the jumper and the shot selection may be a problem, but he's talented and showed greater maturity overseas, so I guess he wouldn't be bad at the 4th slot. He's a guy who will need time though.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Apparently Jennings said on his Twitter that he wants to be here.
I saw that. I think he looked at the draft situation and saw that #4 is likely the highest he could be picked and we need a PG badly. There isn't a better situation for him in the draft. The whole third-person thing is kinda weird, but Ricky Henderson did it and he was an alright ball player. Oh and he left out Chris Paul. The #4 pick is a pretty good spot for point guards apparently. At least it is lately.

Also, regarding Conley, he missed a lot of time due to injury. Just like Oden, it's too early to call him a bust. He was a reach at #4, but he should be a solid if unspectacular starting PG for awhile.

Last edited:
The whole third-person thing is kinda weird, but Ricky Henderson did it and he was an alright ball player.
"Rickey's cleats always be breakin'! Rickey can't do nothin' out there without breakin' a cleat!" - Rickey Henderson via teammate Tony Gwynn

After all his injuries and faults id take him over Beno any day. He isn't a bust, and he is improving. He will be a good BACKUP point guard in this league in a few years... book it.
fixed :)

Just kidding though.. I do think he has a shot at becoming a decent guard. He's still young.