Boogie on ESPN today

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I just saw this a minute ago. As I've said in other threads, he wants to be here, Vlade wants him here...for now. He will be here at least until the 2019 season and that gives Vlade an ample amount of time to build around him or ship him off and start anew.

The only people that keep ignoring all this and asking the questions are those that don't want him in Sacramento. Everyone else has pretty much accepted that the extension will get signed sometime in summer when we use the cap space on all the free agents that we need to sign.

G

glassman

Happy to have Cousins on this team.. Hes a perfect fit... His growth and maturity is basically mirroring this franchise's growth and maturity... both were kinda disasters but every year it gets a little better and a little more stable...

we are a far way off from being a contender... but I do believe that once this team makes the playoffs we could actually attract a Big FA here. If Boogie can single handily carry us to the playoffs. Someones gonna want to team up with him and make a push for a ring one day. I do think that will happen.

Happy to have Cousins on this team.. Hes a perfect fit... His growth and maturity is basically mirroring this franchise's growth and maturity... both were kinda disasters but every year it gets a little better and a little more stable...

we are a far way off from being a contender... but I do believe that once this team makes the playoffs we could actually attract a Big FA here. If Boogie can single handily carry us to the playoffs. Someones gonna want to team up with him and make a push for a ring one day. I do think that will happen.
Who do you categorize as a "Big FA?"

G

glassman

Who do you categorize as a "Big FA?"
lol! not daren collision or rudy gay.

Maybe some one like John Wall or Eric Bledsoe someone or maybe better than that. I'd start there tho. I think either of those guys would be an upgrade and at least a solid 2nd or 3rd option or star kinda level player ... again not Collisin or Gay haha

Historically big guys posting numbers like Cousins usually win titles. I got this from "the jump" on ESPN... on a list of guys that did similar to Cousins they were all playoff or title bound pretty quick. By all accounts Cousins is actually well received off the court around the league.

anyway first we gotta make the playoffs and show the league that its not a circus over here anymore. I just have a feeling Boogie would be able to recruit a fellow star then.

lol! not daren collision or rudy gay.

Maybe some one like John Wall or Eric Bledsoe someone or maybe better than that. I'd start there tho. I think either of those guys would be an upgrade and at least a solid 2nd or 3rd option or star kinda level player ... again not Collisin or Gay haha

Historically big guys posting numbers like Cousins usually win titles. I got this from "the jump" on ESPN... on a list of guys that did similar to Cousins they were all playoff or title bound pretty quick. By all accounts Cousins is actually well received off the court around the league.

anyway first we gotta make the playoffs and show the league that its not a circus over here anymore. I just have a feeling Boogie would be able to recruit a fellow star then.
You can "think" & "have feelings" all you want. It doesn't change our FA history. Players as good as Wall & Bledsoe have never come to Sacramento in free agency (even during the golden era). Our plan to become a top team in the West should not only RELY on us getting that 2nd star through free agency. That's a fool's path knowing our current situation and history.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but this is the problem many posters here have a hard time understanding. They are overly optimistic about our chances to sign a top notch FA and thus are fine with us making the playoffs and losing our pick. The reality is that we are far less likely to sign this caliber of player than not. We're never going to be a contender if we don't add at least another great talent next to Cousins. If our ONLY hope is FA to find said player, you're lowering the odds. If you keep the pick this year, you give yourself the opportunity at getting that 2nd star by either developing the draft pick/trading the draft pick OR signing one in free agency. Losing the pick entirely makes us completely reliant on free agency to find that player, and that's not a situation any of us would like to be in.

If you the draft pick develops into a star or if you trade it for a star, you suddenly have a top 10 player and another star. I think at that point, you can be more optimistic about us signing good FAs considering a Cousins & star combo will probably end up being a 50 win team. That's when the rep will change and you might be able to snag a 3rd star to make this team a legit championship contender. Getting there won't be easy, but it's much easier to get there if we keep our 1st this year. For example, if we keep the pick, we could attempt to use it in a package for some star level players that might be available depending on the state of the team: Bledsoe (27), Butler (27), George (26), Conley (29), Lillard (26), McCollum (25)

You can "think" & "have feelings" all you want. It doesn't change our FA history. Players as good as Wall & Bledsoe have never come to Sacramento in free agency (even during the golden era). Our plan to become a top team in the West should not only RELY on us getting that 2nd star through free agency. That's a fool's path knowing our current situation and history.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but this is the problem many posters here have a hard time understanding. They are overly optimistic about our chances to sign a top notch FA and thus are fine with us making the playoffs and losing our pick. The reality is that we are far less likely to sign this caliber of player than not. We're never going to be a contender if we don't add at least another great talent next to Cousins. If our ONLY hope is FA to find said player, you're lowering the odds. If you keep the pick this year, you give yourself the opportunity at getting that 2nd star by either developing the draft pick/trading the draft pick OR signing one in free agency. Losing the pick entirely makes us completely reliant on free agency to find that player, and that's not a situation any of us would like to be in.

If you the draft pick develops into a star or if you trade it for a star, you suddenly have a top 10 player and another star. I think at that point, you can be more optimistic about us signing good FAs considering a Cousins & star combo will probably end up being a 50 win team. That's when the rep will change and you might be able to snag a 3rd star to make this team a legit championship contender. Getting there won't be easy, but it's much easier to get there if we keep our 1st this year. For example, if we keep the pick, we could attempt to use it in a package for some star level players that might be available depending on the state of the team: Bledsoe (27), Butler (27), George (26), Conley (29), Lillard (26), McCollum (25)
I think what a lot of posters are picking up on is that the players of today are a lot different than the players of yore in terms of their friendships with other players in the league. It appears that for a lot of players, playing with your friends is a lot more important that it used to be. That mentality I think opens the door to a quality FA more than before if Boogie can recruit. Yes, Sacramento has historically had a difficult time getting quality FA. But we think what players value it today's game is different than before. They value friendship. And, I think with Vlade at the helm and Joerger as coach, and those two operating in lock-step, it gives our franchise a bit more feeling of stability.

I think what a lot of posters are picking up on is that the players of today are a lot different than the players of yore in terms of their friendships with other players in the league. It appears that for a lot of players, playing with your friends is a lot more important that it used to be. That mentality I think opens the door to a quality FA more than before if Boogie can recruit. Yes, Sacramento has historically had a difficult time getting quality FA. But we think what players value it today's game is different than before. They value friendship. And, I think with Vlade at the helm and Joerger as coach, and those two operating in lock-step, it gives our franchise a bit more feeling of stability.
And that's all fine and nice if it happens, but as a GM, you don't RELY on that. Betting all (or most) of your money on Cousins' ability to bring a STAR friend to an organization with a horrible reputation is very risky in my eyes. Not saying we shouldn't try it, but keeping the pick allows us to hedge our bets giving us another shot at a star talent if we whiff in free agency.

As long as the coaching carousel is behind them, the front office remains stable, and the wins keep trending upward, the Kings will discover that there are free agents wanting to play with a dominant big like Cuz. If you're a shooter or a slasher, your life is made much easier with the double-triple teams and constant switching that occurs away from you.

G

glassman

Ok I'm in Southern California. I've been up north a few times. While Sacramento may not be the the most ideal destination I wanna point out a few things.

#1 There are far worse places to play. It's still California and it's near a big city in SF
#2 Cousins I already mentioned it but someone is gonna wanna try and ride him to a ring
#3 the new arena. One of the reasons we were never taken seriously by FA's was the teams gym. This is now one of the most advanced stadiums AND most importantly... most advanced practice and training (although u wouldn't know it with all the injuries) facilities in the NBA... have u seen what the players have at their disposal. This is like a 5 star hotel now.
#4 the revival of downtown. Not only is the stadium cool but it looks like the whole area is getting upgraded.
#5 franchise is getting more stable. Thankfully other teams have really stepped up their drama this year and we have been relatively quiet minus boogies occasional antics. Ken really seems to have been a solid hire and for what he walked into was able to help us make the most out of nothing this last offseason.

The funny/ ironic part is the people begging for Cousins to be traded to a bigger market are the same people that crucify KD and Lebron for leaving small markets. Their logic: "well Sacramento is garbage".
well, to be fair, sacramento is garbage. the franchise has been a mess for so long that the average nba fan couldn't recall a single thing about the kings' last winning season if you put a gun to their head. i think many outsiders have adopted a "free boogie!" stance simply because he's a big time player with a big time personality, and it's fun to root for big time players with big time personalities. that said, it's much harder to root for those players when they play for awful teams... because then you have to watch an awful team.

kd and lebron were already winning when they decided to jump ship to join their respective superteams, and they were derided for ducking out before the job was done in the smaller market (though lebron earned his redemption narrative in returning to cleveland to win a championship). demarcus, on the other hand, has been stuck on a perennial, dysfunctional loser for his entire career thus far, so few would blame him if he decided to bolt for greener pastures. yet that's not his desire, which is a stunning revelation for those who don't understand demarcus cousins. hell, it remains a stunning revelation to me, despite my "insider" knowledge as a kings fan.

its the second chance this franchise should never really have had. Dam glad we got it. Cant wait till Demarcus signs and its official but really we know what we need. Roster improvements and a proper crack at building around Demarcus. We've done well recently, well better than before and we have somewhat of a bench now but upgrades are still more than necessary.

Demarcus is soo hilarious. First the stuff about his mum still kicking his a**. Now a cold " I can't jump" that has everybody laughing after being asked why gets his shot blocked so often. If we ever start winning the perception of him could change real quick.

Also nice to see that he loves Bam Bam :)

another Cuz interview.
Nothing earth shattering except giving props to Karl for 3pt.
Just nice little interview

I think you are selling him short with that intro. That was probably the most enjoyable, comfortable Cuz interview I've seen yet. At ease with the reporters (guess what happens when the reporters aren't trying to sabotage you), mature answers, funny. Dammit I love Boogie. I cannot believe there are people in Sacramento that want to trade him. One of the best players in the league who is insanely committed to this city. One in a million.

Last edited:
I think you are selling him short with that intro. That was probably the most enjoyable, comfortable Cuz interview I've seen yet. At ease with the reporters (guess what happens when the reporters aren't trying to sabotage you), mature answers, funny. Dammit I love Boogie. I cannot believe there are people in Sacramento that want to trade him. One of the best players in the league who is insanely committed to this city. One in a million.
Underpromise, overdeliver :)