Bonzi Wells Traded To Sacramento for BJax & OTag

Bricklayer said:
Okay, a good step forward. I do hate giving up BOTH of our ending contracts to get him, just because that is going to make it that much more difficult to find some way to get a big man, unless the core is less untouchable than we have been led to believe.

Nonetheless, while this is risky, we trade away two aging little used vets (last year) and bring back a guy who COULD easily put up big numbers, and the right kind of numbers, for Sac.

From the article the other day, sounds like this came together quickly as soon as Raheem was off the market, in which case I would just like to thank my semi-hometown Nets for saving us from ourselves.

Now we have all the scoring pretty much taken care of, although we could still desperately use a post player inside. The classic Kings teams only had two main scorers really, one secondary scorer in Bibby, and two roleplaying guys who only scored as needed. While we have nobody nearly as prolific as Webb, with Bonzi now we really have all the scoring we need. The PF position now can be just about anyone as long as they can really defend and board.

P.S. thanks for the memories Bobby. You rocked.
Brickie, two ending contracts for one nullifies (Bonzi has 1 more year at $8 mill). However at least you have a pretty good ending contract that you have rights over if we so desire and can match. You know Bonzi is going to step it up since its his AND Peja's contract year. So look to see Peja and Bonzi do more damage (cross fingers).

What happens with Mo now? I remember reading that if we signed Bonzi, we wouldn't have the $$ to keep Mo around, but since we traded BJax and Tag can we still resign him?

we could, but I would think that the money we could spend on Mo would be better spent on a power forward IMO. Especially if Mo wants $2 million+ per

Andriod_KiNg said:
This is a clear upgrade in my opinion, i know how everyone gets attached to players but i would take Bonzi over Jackson anyday...

Ugh! I need to stop being such a girl! Must try to reinforce trust in Petrie, must try to reinforce trust in petrie......

Last edited:
ReinadelosReys said:
This is just.....wow. I mean I heard about it no more than 5 min ago, from a phone call and immediately came online to find out more.

::sigh::

I'm the first one to preach the saying that its the name on the front, not the name on the back and I certainly don't have any issues with Bonzi Wells, but I can't help but feel that I don't know who the Kings are any more. I think I became too confortable with the team, that connection between fan and player was strong becasue the guys who seem to be leaving were all mainstays on the team and the community. Bobby Jackson was part of that heart and soul of the team and for whatever reason I became very fond of that big 'ol Tag. I feel like I've been saying this over and over the last 15 months or so, but while we all knew the Kings that fell in love with would one day come to an end, I just didn't expect it to be so soon. :(
I am struggling with this as well. I'm sorry I have major issues with Wells. He seems to never get along where ever he is. I just hope the day doesn't come when Kings Fans will regret us shipping away such a class guy (by the way, who can still play) for a classless individual such as Wells. I have always been the one for reclamation projects. Shoot, I have been calling for Artest for almost a year now. But there is something about this cat that spells trouble.

I hope I am wrong.

Bad Boy Bo said:
Whoa whoa whoa, wait, does this mean we are not done with both Memphis and Utah?
No, actually this trade can not be official until the "moratorium" ends which will probably be next week.

Ryle said:
No, actually this trade can not be official until the "moratorium" ends which will probably be next week.
Haha damn was hoping to get Williams back, since it states Grizz are looking to put him on the market. Be great to have him as a backup to Bibby!

Mad Iron said:
What happens with Mo now? I remember reading that if we signed Bonzi, we wouldn't have the $$ to keep Mo around, but since we traded BJax and Tag can we still resign him?
The Bonzi money has nothing to do with Mo. At least in theory the Kings can match an offer for Mo.

thats awesome, we dropped two dead end parts from last year's team for a, hopefully, player in his prime. Sorry to see bobby go but oh well. Now just move francisco to the 3 spot and get brand. lol jk.

This is good news. Plug up one of our biggest holes without spending the MLE. Sad to see Bobby go emotionally, but it is a great trade from a basketball standpoint. It's also nice to trade Tag, only because I hate having that question always posed of is Tag getting his minutes, he should've been in there, etc. Maybe we can pick up a decent PF for the MLE? I get the feeling Walker ain't gettin' a very good payday this offseason, so maybe we can grab him cheap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2114460

Memphis gets Jackson; Jazz reunite with OstertagESPN.com news services

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Bonzi Wells is no longer Jerry West's headache.

ESPN.com has confirmed that the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to exercise an $8 million option and send the disgruntled swingman to the Sacramento Kings in a three-way deal with the Utah Jazz.

The trade was first reported by the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

The deal cannot be announced until the NBA finalizes its collective bargaining agreement.

The Kings will send guard Bobby Jackson to the Grizzlies -- a moved Jackson also confirmed to SportsTicker -- and center Greg Ostertag back to Utah for a second tour of duty with the Jazz.

Utah also would send guard Raul Lopez and Kirk Snyder and forward Chris Borchardt to Memphis.

West, the Grizzlies' president, had been trying to deal the 6-foot-7 Wells since he was removed from the squad during this past season's playoffs. The 29-year-old Wells averaged 10.4 points -- his lowest mark since the 1999-2000 campaign with the Portland Trail Blazers -- in 69 games for the Grizzlies last season.

The 32-year-old Jackson had been a valuable contributor off the Kings' bench in recent seasons but, slowed by numerous injuries, averaged just 12.0 points in 25 games this past campaign.

Bricklayer said:
The PF position now can be just about anyone as long as they can really defend and board.
yeah I agree...I've been kinda saying that I don't care if they can score cuz really i think we have plenty of guys who can score I just want someone tough who can defend and rebound and I'll be happy as a clam

I'm just happy we actually got something done and have something solid for the starting SG...I'm very sad to see BJax go but at the same time I'm definetly not shocked...I knew it was coming...we could all see it coming around the corner and now its finally happened...I'll definetly miss him...

I thought Bonzi was a borderline all star the last year he spent in Portland...he was ballin the entire year..not to say that he sucked or anything while he was in Memphis cuz thats certainly not true but I think when he was in Portland he got the real PT to make a difference that same PT that he'll get in here in SAC...I think he'll work out fine here...

Some people were talking about a backup PG...now what does everyone think of a guy like Brevin Knight...I mean I DO NOT know the whole numbers game so I don't know if it would really work out finacially but I think he'd be a great PG to have...he's a true PG with a pass first mentality and score when my team needs me to score kinda player...he has proven this past year that he is definetly capable of being a starter and running a bball team as he did in Charlotte so I don't know how he would feel about coming to a place like SAC and being a backup...cuz I think for him it would be a step back...but I still like the idea of him here...I have said since late last season that I hoped a team like Cleveland picked him up cuz I really think he'd be an awesome fit there...

ReinadelosReys said:
::sigh::

I'm the first one to preach the saying that its the name on the front, not the name on the back and I certainly don't have any issues with Bonzi Wells, but I can't help but feel that I don't know who the Kings are any more. I think I became too confortable with the team, that connection between fan and player was strong becasue the guys who seem to be leaving were all mainstays on the team and the community. Bobby Jackson was part of that heart and soul of the team and for whatever reason I became very fond of that big 'ol Tag. I feel like I've been saying this over and over the last 15 months or so, but while we all knew the Kings that fell in love with would one day come to an end, I just didn't expect it to be so soon. :(
That's exactly how I feel. I hate seeing the players I love get traded away, and BJ was one of them. I'm gonna miss him as much as I miss all the others :( But I welcome Bonzi to the Kings and hope everything works out well in the end

Wow. I'm not sure what to say. First, thank you Bobby for all the memories!

From an on-court standpoint, Bonzi for Bobby is a clear upgrade for several reasons:

-Age/health
-Starter vs. reserve
-More scoring/rebounding/size

However, I don't like losing Tag. Sure we have a great starting 1-4: Bibby, Wells, Stojakovic, Miller, but who or what is going to grab a rebound or block a shot? We now have exactly 3 big men (if Thomas at 6'7" counts as big), none of which have a post presence on offense, and only one has a presence on defense (Skinner).

We can only assume Petrie has his eye on someone (hopefully a couple someones) like Hunter/Evans/Griffin, although at this point I would even take Antoine Walker (for cheap) if only to fill the void that is our frontcourt.
~~

Bjax.... A true heart-and-soul player, person, who will certainly be missed. Ostertag... well, the whole time with him was pretty much a laugher. Made a handful of remarkable plays while he was here; otherwise... see ya! The Wells trade will prove to be another great stroke by GP. IMHO.... Go KINGS!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
jacobdrj said:
Thomas plays very big, and if he plays a whole season with the Kings, you will see that.
Please. He's been in the league a long time now. He rebounds well for his size. Unfortunatley his size is too small. On my little unofficial count he is the 13th best PF, out of 15, in the West. But if you like him so much get on the horn with Joe D. and tell him to make us an offer, maybe for Darko. Works for us. ;)

Andriod_KiNg said:
With O-Tag leaving, i think we are gonna go for a big now, its the logical thing to do.
I would also suggest that since the axe fell on the SAR deal we are now moving on with plan B and this was the first of a few moves.

I hate to see Bobby go but I have to give it to Petrie once again. We only traded away well basically one guy(Tag doesn't count b/c he didn't play anyway) that has not played in like 2 years b/c of injuries and we got back a tough defensive sg that can also score and post up other sg's to. So now Petrie still has the MLE and those "FLEXIBLE" trading pieces to work with. Man I can't wait to see what else Petrie has up his sleve.

I also think this is good for Bobby b/c I think now that he will finally get that starting position that he deserves and its great to see that b/c the guy isn't getting any younger so i'm happy for him. THANK YOU BOBBY!!! for all the memories