Bonzi Wells Traded To Sacramento for BJax & OTag

ONEZERO said:
Is that u bobbyj for3??
lol...no

HECK yes im keeping it. altho bonziwforthetech or bonziwfortheslam look good as a secret identity...i mean, no they dont ;):)

im still disliking the trade but at least i got a bobby j jersey finally...funny how that works out, but figured it would be my last chance

O

ONEZERO

We may never know who has secret identities on this board. Its all a scandal I tell u... A SCANDAL!!... Lol.

funkykingston said:
I figured Bobby would be dealt, either this offseason or before the deadline, simply because I couldn't see the Kings re-signing him considering his age and injuries. Still, Bobby has been my favorite King almost from the moment Petrie signed him. I'd like to see him stay healthy and have a good season, as this next contract is almost certainly his last.

I'm glad the Kings aren't picking up any extra garbage like Snyder or Borchardt. Utah managed to get a nice salary dump out of the whole deal. I'm guessing they're still trying to move Boozer as well.

I'm not unhappy with this deal, although unrealistically I was hoping Petrie could swing this deal using Kenny Thomas and/or Corliss rather than Tag and Bobby. This could work out well (especially with Gawen Deangelo Wells in a contract year as others have noted) but it is worth noted that the Kings just dealt their second biggest trade asset in this deal.

I figure Peja is Petrie's biggest chip and the ending contracts of Bobby and Tag were second with Bibby and Miller third and fourth. Anyone who scoffs at the value of ending contracts needs to remember what it took for the Warriors to land Baron Davis last season.

As I said, I'm not upset with the deal, but there are still roster problems that need to be addressed (the PF spot) and now a new problem (backup PG). As I mentioned previously, I like House, but as the team's 3rd PG. Now if he is re-signed he may be Bibby's primary backup, meaning there may be some truth to the rumor of the Kings interest in Juan Dixon.
Weeeeellll.....according to Fox Sports, we do pick up Utah's trash...I hope this is wrong.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3821880

Bonzi Wells will soon join the Kings as part of a three-way trade according to The Sacramento Bee

The deal swaps the Grizzlies shooting guard for Bobby Jackson and Greg Ostertag. Ostertag would then return to the Jazz, who for their part, would then send swingman Kirk Snyder, center Curtis Borchardt and guard Raul Lopez to Sacramento as well.

Wells' agent confirmed the report. While Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie, who is limited by a league moratorium on what he can say about player movement, did tell The Bee a deal is a planned.

"There is a trade we intend to make with Memphis and Utah when the moratorium is over," Petrie said. The 28-year-old Wells is in the final year of his contract and scheduled to be paid be paid $8 million. He averaged 10.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in 69 games last season.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
PFFFT!! said:
Ostertag would then return to the Jazz, who for their part, would then send swingman Kirk Snyder, center Curtis Borchardt and guard Raul Lopez to Sacramento as well.
Has to be wrong - they have to go to Memphis....

GeorgeofSacramento said:
Who's the GM for Utah and what was in his pipe?
maybe its supposed to be like the biggest prank in utah history. ya know...bringing back the most hated player ever to wear a jazz uniform :p.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
GeorgeofSacramento said:
Who's the GM for Utah and what was in his pipe?
Again, Utah was just clearing cap room and clearing thier bench of garbage. And Tag is a much better player than Rick let him display. He's started 300 games over his NBA career, played in 2 Finals. You spend a year watching Curtis Borchardt play and I suspect it gives you a new appreciation for Tag.

PFFFT!! said:
Weeeeellll.....according to Fox Sports, we do pick up Utah's trash...I hope this is wrong.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3821880

Bonzi Wells will soon join the Kings as part of a three-way trade according to The Sacramento Bee

The deal swaps the Grizzlies shooting guard for Bobby Jackson and Greg Ostertag. Ostertag would then return to the Jazz, who for their part, would then send swingman Kirk Snyder, center Curtis Borchardt and guard Raul Lopez to Sacramento as well.

Wells' agent confirmed the report. While Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie, who is limited by a league moratorium on what he can say about player movement, did tell The Bee a deal is a planned.

"There is a trade we intend to make with Memphis and Utah when the moratorium is over," Petrie said. The 28-year-old Wells is in the final year of his contract and scheduled to be paid be paid $8 million. He averaged 10.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in 69 games last season.
Well it would make sense, but I don't see that happening. If we got Snyder that would mean possibly the further crunching of Kevin and Cisco?, and Snyder sucks!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has to be.

The Kings sent out about 8 million in salary and Wells is making 8 million. They can't take back much more, certainly not all three players. The writer must not have a solid understanding of the CBA.

Lopez doesn't matter much anyway as reportedly he plans to head back to Europe, opting out or voiding his contract I believe.

Snyder and Borchardt have to be headed to Memphis along with Bobby to balance the 8 million they shipped out in Wells.

nbrans said:
I really don't like Evans. For a "rebounding machine" he sure doesn't play very good defense, block shots or play any offense.

BTW, here's Evans rebounding numbers: 9.3 rpg
Kenny Thomas with the Kings: 8.7

Off the bench? Maybe. But as a starting PF? Blech.

P.S. Plus he's only 6'8".
Evans also would bring hustle, size, and is a dirty player... Also, he got 24 MPG in Seattle last season, and would surely get more in Sac, so his numbers would go up. It's not like he isn't going to work on his game over the summer, and if he comes to the Kings he could definitely get help on his offense.

I say get him if we can't get Griffin or someone like Nene/Brand/Boozer/KG/Harrington/Chandler through a trade.

Last edited:
LA King Fan II said:
I'm really sad about BJax. Loved him, but he hasn't been the same since cheap shot Shaq broke his hand. Bonzi is part of what we need to cover last season's weaknesses.

I really really can't see us keeping both Martin and Garcia now, and I'm assuming they'll be part of our trade package that gets us our better than average big guy.

I'll miss Bobby Jacks, but I will watch Memphis now and root a lil when they aren't playing the Kings.
I agree on that, I think we may just trade Martin in some kind of a deal. Obviously would keep Garcia out of the two if we do include one of them.

B-Jax going to Grizz is cool, I really got into them last year with their deep, mostly young, athletic team of scrappers and underdogs. One of my fav teams now.

I am sad to see Bobby Jackson gone but I am stoked we got Bonzi. He addresses some of our needs and we have a history of turning headcases into respectable citizens.

What we need to do now is address our starting PF position and back up C and PG.. This move is a step in the right direction and gives us exactly what we needed on the perimeter.

Last edited:
We'll have House/Barrett/Knight for a back-up PG. House, should he be that, should be better with a full training camp and season with the team.

B-Jax, sadly became too much of a risk.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Elson's been mentioned before, just not in this topic. I think just about every player in the NBA (and quite a few who aren't) has been mentioned as somebody we should get.

According to realgm.com memphis just signed damon stoudimire to a 4 year $17mil contract.... this would suck for bobby... he seemed to be the favorite to become starter in memphis and now they sign stoudimire... hopefully bobby will still get some PT so he can get a bigger contract next year....

this doesn't effect the kings-memphis trade will it, since the trade is not official yet????

kingsofnba said:
According to realgm.com memphis just signed damon stoudimire to a 4 year $17mil contract.... this would suck for bobby... he seemed to be the favorite to become starter in memphis and now they sign stoudimire... hopefully bobby will still get some PT so he can get a bigger contract next year....

this doesn't effect the kings-memphis trade will it, since the trade is not official yet????
It shouldn't. But I think it definately spells the end to J-Wills playing days in Memphis. Damon and BoJax is a pretty sick combo. Way better than J-Will and Watson.

Yeah J-Will's bascially been on the tradling block for awhile, and still is. B-Jax will back-up Damon, and Watson will be signed up somewhere else or used in a S/T.