Bonzi Wells Traded To Sacramento for BJax & OTag

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Okay, a good step forward. I do hate giving up BOTH of our ending contracts to get him, just because that is going to make it that much more difficult to find some way to get a big man, unless the core is less untouchable than we have been led to believe.

Nonetheless, while this is risky, we trade away two aging little used vets (last year) and bring back a guy who COULD easily put up big numbers, and the right kind of numbers, for Sac.

From the article the other day, sounds like this came together quickly as soon as Raheem was off the market, in which case I would just like to thank my semi-hometown Nets for saving us from ourselves.

Now we have all the scoring pretty much taken care of, although we could still desperately use a post player inside. The classic Kings teams only had two main scorers really, one secondary scorer in Bibby, and two roleplaying guys who only scored as needed. While we have nobody nearly as prolific as Webb, with Bonzi now we really have all the scoring we need. The PF position now can be just about anyone as long as they can really defend and board.

P.S. thanks for the memories Bobby. You rocked.

Last edited:
One down one to go. It is pretty much a consensus here that we have to get tougher at SG and PF if we're to go with our "core", so I like this move.

Pitty it had to be Bobby leaving to make it work, but this had to be done. Good luck Bobby!

Bricklayer said:
I like both #1 and #3. In fact let's get them both and I'm a happy camper. :)
I really don't like Evans. For a "rebounding machine" he sure doesn't play very good defense, block shots or play any offense.

BTW, here's Evans rebounding numbers: 9.3 rpg
Kenny Thomas with the Kings: 8.7

Off the bench? Maybe. But as a starting PF? Blech.

P.S. Plus he's only 6'8".

Last edited:
Andriod_KiNg said:
Same, Bobby will be missed, but this team is looking to move on, lets see if the major sites start to confirm this.
It's on REALGM as well

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36753/20050722/bonzi_traded_to_sacramento/

This is just.....wow. I mean I heard about it no more than 5 min ago, from a phone call and immediately came online to find out more.

::sigh::

I'm the first one to preach the saying that its the name on the front, not the name on the back and I certainly don't have any issues with Bonzi Wells, but I can't help but feel that I don't know who the Kings are any more. I think I became too confortable with the team, that connection between fan and player was strong becasue the guys who seem to be leaving were all mainstays on the team and the community. Bobby Jackson was part of that heart and soul of the team and for whatever reason I became very fond of that big 'ol Tag. I feel like I've been saying this over and over the last 15 months or so, but while we all knew the Kings that fell in love with would one day come to an end, I just didn't expect it to be so soon. :(

Ok I'm confused. Is Curtis Borchardt coming here, or to Memphis?

Oh...and thank god we got rid of Ostertag. That is Petrie's magic right there. That's a Jedi mind trick. *waves hand* You want Greg Ostertag back...

Utah Gm: Yes...I want Greg Ostertag Back..

Petrie: Good.....

Last edited:
Just this morning I drove by one of those Schools Credit Union billboard featuring Bobby, and wondered how much longer he has as a King- thought about it for much longer than usual. Fast forward to now, and I have my answer. Weird how these things come about.

Good Luck Bobby. You'll be missed.

Last edited:
Packt said:
Just this morning I drove by one of those Schools Credit Union billboard featuring Bobby, and wondered how much longer he has as a King- thought about it for much longer than usual. Fast forward to now, and I have my answer. Weird how these things come about.
I just drove by a Bobby billboard on Folsom Blvd and sang the little McDonald's tune that has his name in it and then came here for a quick check-in. And BLAMO, he's gone.

nebs said:
I just drove by a Bobby billboard on Folsom Blvd and sang the little McDonald's tune that has his name in it and then came here for a quick check-in. And BLAMO, he's gone.
It was probably in the air. We were already saying good-bye before we even knew about the deal.

I like this move. At the beginning of the off season we knew there was a good chance that Mobley would walk and that the Kings would get nothing in return. So, the Kings needed a sg and a power forward but they only had the MLE to offer. They had to make a trade, and for what we sent out, this was the best we could hope for IMO. The Kings still have the MLE to offer and can probably fall back on Songaila if nothing pans out. Good move Petrie.

Sidenote: doesn't Bonzi hate Kobe? If so, I'm definitely sold on this move!!!

Bricklayer

nbrans said:
I really don't like Evans. For a "rebounding machine" he sure doesn't play very good defense, block shots or play any offense.

BTW, here's Evans rebounding numbers: 9.3 rpg
Kenny Thomas with the Kings: 8.7

Off the bench? Maybe. But as a starting PF? Blech.

P.S. Plus he's only 6'8".

You have shown you know too much about basketball to be continually making this "mistake", so I have to assume its intentional.

Yes...9.3rebs...in 23.8min! Those are just silly numbers. That's nearly 19rebs/48 min. Single best rebounder in the NBA last year. Better than Garnett. Better than Wallace. Better than Duncan (by a lot).

I would not trust him to be my starting PF without it being some sort of package where he's got one or more very strong backups because he is a limited player. But he is an absolute game-changing terror on the boards.

Andriod_KiNg said:
Does anyone find it funny that O-Tag is going back to Utah :D
I thought it was a joke at fiirst, but haha oh goosh. But wow, what a trade, as most of us expected to lose Bobby Jackson, he will be missed. We still got our MLE, and have both Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner. Looks like Petrie only just begun.

Very sad to see bobby go. Wish we could have traded some of our "flexible trading pieces" acquired this season instead. I know Bobby's been injury ridden, but you have to love his heart & dedication. He will be missed.

Bricklayer said:
You have shown you know too much about basketball to be continually making this "mistake", so I have to assume its intentional.

Yes...9.3rebs...in 23.8min! Those are just silly numbers. That's nearly 19rebs/48 min. Single best rebounder in the NBA last year. Better than Garnett. Better than Wallace. Better than Duncan (by a lot).

I would not trust him to be my starting PF without it being some sort of package where he's got one or more very strong backups because he is a limited player. But he is an absolute game-changing terror on the boards.
He pretty much wreaked havoc on is in the playoffs. He was all over the boards and it didn't help that Adelman was whining about the way he played.

Bricklayer said:

Ahh! I knew you were going to pull the 48 minutes stat on me. I was even going to add a PS but I figured I'd just wait for your return post.

Here's my "clever" retort that I was going to use earlier: there's a reason he only played 23.8 minutes a game.

I'd sign him up as a backup to KT and I'd be happy bringing him off the bench and playing him those 23 minutes a game. But I wouldn't start him or play him starter minutes.

nbrans said:
Ahh! I knew you were going to pull the 48 minutes stat on me. I was even going to add a PS but I figured I'd just wait for your return post.

Here's my "clever" retort that I was going to use earlier: there's a reason he only played 23.8 minutes a game.

I'd sign him up as a backup to KT and I'd be happy bringing him off the bench and playing him those 23 minutes a game. But I wouldn't start him or play him starter minutes.
I don't think anyone wants him to start but he is great energy off the bench.

i think this was gamble that the kings simply had to make...and if the price was tag and b jack...well...so be it...seems a bit steep..but oh well....

jerry west definitely appears to have gotten the best of this trade....especially considering bonzi's status with the team....as for utah....hmmm...wow...think they were the ones on the short end of the stick

Bricklayer

foretaz said:
i think this was gamble that the kings simply had to make...and if the price was tag and b jack...well...so be it...seems a bit steep..but oh well....

jerry west definitely appears to have gotten the best of this trade....especially considering bonzi's status with the team....as for utah....hmmm...wow...think they were the ones on the short end of the stick
Utah was just clearing cap room -- they did fine. Lopez is retiring to Europe, the other guys can't play, so bring back a legit center you know for a year and then be free of his contract.

As for Evans, I definitely think we should get him (agree with brick 100%). The best way to measure rebounding is the percentage of missed shots a player rebounds while he's in the game. I think Evans has the second highest percentage in NBA history after Dennis Rodman.

Hmm think we got better, Utah is out of their minds, If Bobby has a big year Memphis just got better. This trade could go one of two ways, but on the surface it looks good to me.

Thanks Bobby you gave us all a lot of great moments.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I have been saying that all offseason when somebody shoots down a trade idea while saying "why would they do that". For some reason certain people think the talents have to exactly match or there will be no trade. We have seen it over and over again. Nothing i mean NOTHING is impossible. Yes even the Kings could be on the better end of a trade.