Bogdan Bewildering Hamstring Article

Well Peja, when we are speaking about Peja, he once told a reporter that as 24, 25 years old he can play all year long. A couple of years later, he started being chronically injured and significantly slowed down.

About Bogdan, I understand playing Olympics, I can understand playing WC, but playing the Euro championship was a serious mistake. He must give himself free summer if he wants to avoid shortening his career.
At this point it might be too late and the die may be cast. He isn’t going to skip the Olympics so that is another 18 months straight of playing basketball. Sadly for him, teams are going to look at that and his injury history and think twice about paying the man.

Even before Bogi was "injured" I thought his stride looked off. It was as if he was not really stretching out his legs and digging out a full sprint. To me it looked like a sore knee or hamstring issue. Because he does not want to appear "soft" he kept playing through it.

As far as trading Bogi unless you are getting someone like Zach Lavine it will be hard to match Bogi's value to the Kings.

Bogi is amazing. He knows he is critical right now, until Fox comes back at least, and he's pushing through the pain to contribute. No disrespect intended, but I really wish we'd saved the Buddy money for Bogi, who is much more consistent. When Buddy is on a hot streak he's amazing, but we seem to spend a tremendous amount of time living with him being a liability (ball handling, turnovers, bricks) as we wait for him to get hot again. It seems like Bogi just quietly goes out there and contributes, steadily and consistently with the ability to step up when needed.

I never said I don't know what BBIQ is, I am just tired of people endlessly using it as the difference between NBA players.
Bogi has made a lot of bad passes in the last couple of games and committed many turnovers. You can blame on his injury. If that is the case he should sit. I blame it on his low BBIQ.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bogi is amazing. He knows he is critical right now, until Fox comes back at least, and he's pushing through the pain to contribute. No disrespect intended, but I really wish we'd saved the Buddy money for Bogi, who is much more consistent. When Buddy is on a hot streak he's amazing, but we seem to spend a tremendous amount of time living with him being a liability (ball handling, turnovers, bricks) as we wait for him to get hot again. It seems like Bogi just quietly goes out there and contributes, steadily and consistently with the ability to step up when needed.
The issue with Bogdan is he's yet to look like a great compliment to Fox. You can't have 2 guards attempting to run pick and roll at the same time as your team is trying to run a team concept based offense. Bogdan in pick and roll is the Bogdan people expected. Bogdan is still good off the ball but not nearly the same looking player. Fox on the ball is terrific but off the ball his impact is seriously diminished. They really need Bagley and Fox to come back sooner than later so they can get some sort of grasp on how these pieces fit together prior to the deadline. Vlade has gone with a stacked depth chart and can't allow signings of Dedmon types to sink their chances at retaining a core piece to the puzzle. Of course that's besides the potential desire of Bogdan to find a starting role elsewhere. They simply can't allow Bogdan to leave for nothing unless Bagley comes back looking like an MVP superstar since it could realistically fill some of that hole in talent left behind with a Bogdan exit.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I never said I don't know what BBIQ is, I am just tired of people endlessly using it as the difference between NBA players.
Bogi has made a lot of bad passes in the last couple of games and committed many turnovers. You can blame on his injury. If that is the case he should sit. I blame it on his low BBIQ.
I blame part of it on teams figuring out the Kings pick and roll scheme. Teams know that if you double off the pick you can play the passing lane over the top since the Kings are always looking to dish the ball inside with a pass that will most efficiently lead the big straight to the rim. With Bjelica at center we saw how important popping in that same pick and roll can be when teams are dialed in on your set. That's another thing they need to do with Dedmon who is rolling way too much. Holmes has great hands. Top shelf hands. Dedmon does not. Holmes can catch passes that most bigs aren't going to catch. Dedmon won't. But Dedmon in theory can shoot when spotting up. That's his skill and it's going mostly unused and when it is it's forced. Holmes isn't always rolling but when he doesn't teams just leave him wide open so him spreading the court does nothing to help the Kings spacing.

On top of the pick and roll kinks they are also playing way too much half court basketball which causes all those little mistakes to look even more pronounced. In this stretch they have gone from near the top in pace last year to the bottom. Literally, the bottom. And it's not just because of Fox being out. They were still way down the chart with him in the lineup. When you play nothing but half court offense it's hard to get going on runs. This is being reflected in the Kings 3 point shooting woes as well. They are taking way too many 3's out of an extended pick and roll which is tough and even tougher when teams are pressuring the ball handler every time.

The issue with Bogdan is he's yet to look like a great compliment to Fox. You can't have 2 guards attempting to run pick and roll at the same time as your team is trying to run a team concept based offense. Bogdan in pick and roll is the Bogdan people expected. Bogdan is still good off the ball but not nearly the same looking player. Fox on the ball is terrific but off the ball his impact is seriously diminished. They really need Bagley and Fox to come back sooner than later so they can get some sort of grasp on how these pieces fit together prior to the deadline. Vlade has gone with a stacked depth chart and can't allow signings of Dedmon types to sink their chances at retaining a core piece to the puzzle. Of course that's besides the potential desire of Bogdan to find a starting role elsewhere. They simply can't allow Bogdan to leave for nothing unless Bagley comes back looking like an MVP superstar since it could realistically fill some of that hole in talent left behind with a Bogdan exit.
Did you watch Bogi in FIBA? He played almost totally off the ball. The problem is Fox rarely passes to him when he is standing alone on the weakside.

We've been talking about him playing too much in the off-season for years now. He played great in the WC. It looks like the Kings' are paying for it. This theme is soo freaking old and totally frustrating. To my mind he's definitely a better player than Buddy Hield - when healthy. But if a guy is only healthy 50% or 60% of the year, who the hell cares?

It appears that the Kings medical staff said the injury won't get worse if he doesn't play more than 6 minute increments. The problem is, will it get better? With that hammy of his Bogs plays like a scrub, not a good to very good player. And now he says his opposite knee is hurting because of compensation due to the hammy. Enough is enough. Just shut him down until he gets healthy. Two weeks, three weeks, a month. Give him vaca in Europe for all I care. Whatever it takes. He's not doing the team a favor by playing injured. The kid can take his minutes, which makes sense, because Divac is playing the long game, and longer term Bogs is not going to be with this team.
There's no real solution to it. Bogdon is allowed to do what he wants and I would even say him playing for his national team every summer reflects positively on his character. HOWEVER, its also very easy to understand how frustrating it is, as a Kings fan, seeing him be at 100% strength and firing on all cylinders for his national team during the summer, and then having floppy legs during the NBA regular season.

Maybe Bogdan playing with Serbia last summer wasn't the best thing for him. Me and many others echoed the idea that he needs a summer to rest and fully get healthy. I understand his love to support his national team, but it really sucks when you see stuff like this come out. It seems like Bogdan struggles staying healthy. He's really important for the success of this team, but I wouldn't want him to put his body on the line just for a few wins. Let's be real, are we a playoff team even when 100% healthy? It's not a guarantee at all.

Might be reactionary, but this could be another year in the lottery...again...

At this point it might be too late and the die may be cast. He isn’t going to skip the Olympics so that is another 18 months straight of playing basketball. Sadly for him, teams are going to look at that and his injury history and think twice about paying the man.
I feel like we're not talking about the same things here. Would it help if Bogdan stays out of the national team? The answer is - I don't know, there's no way to be 100% sure. He'd have more free time and no competitive games before the NBA season. He'd still have to go through hard summer practice in order to get ready for the season. There's no guarantee he wouldn't get injured during that practice or during pre-season games.

Him not playing for the national team could possibly help out, but then again, 90%+ of all players who get injured during a single NBA season didn't play for the national team the previous summer. Most of them have never played for any national team in their careers. Also, 50% of all NBA players finish their season in April and don't play official games till November... and still, a bunch of them get injured.

That being said, I am against saying: playing for the national team = injuries. Bagley and Fox decided not to play for the national team and they already missed 20+ games combined. Bjelica, Barnes, and Bogi played for their NTs and missed 1-2 games combined. Bagley also missed 20 games last season without playing for the NT a year before.

And one more important point, Bogdan has been finishing his season in April for the past two years. In 2018, there wasn't any national competition and he only played one qualifying game in September and got injured off the ball, without a contact. There's a good chance he'd get the same injury during some pre-season Sacramento game. So in 2018, he had a break from April till September. This year, he had a break from April till the end of July/beginning of August. I simply cannot agree that 3-5 months break isn't enough for a professional player.

Sounds like a lot of excuses for moments of poor play. If the Kings medical staff says he can play, and Bogi says he can play, then be quiet and play.

I find it odd that no other player on the Kings plays through injury. Or at least we don't hear about it. But year after year, we hear about Bogi. He's a really good player who is bringing into question health issues himself. Bogi should fire his agent if this is part of a plan to make him seem tough to get a better role on another team.

Whether Bogdan wants to play injured or not is one situation. I just cannot understand how the management/coaching is letting him play injured - by his own admission in "consistent pain". The Bulls game you can see he's moving a little slower than normal especially on offense. They reported his left hamstring, and I didn't see it wrapped. Playing injured implicitly handicaps movement, but more problematic is the risk of compounding the injury. I wonder if the the staff is asking him, "is your pain ok?", and mis-evaluating the answer. It maybe true that high hamstring and low hamstring pulls have different characteristics and treatments. One article I read, mentions staying off /testing 8 weeks: SPECIFICALLY qualifying:

"
Week 1Walk 5min / jog 1min, build to 5 sets on alternating days(ex. 2x5min/1min, off, 3x5min/1min, off, etc.)Week 2If no pain, walk 5min / jog 5min, build to 5 sets on alternating daysWeek 3If no pain, advance to 20min jog, no more than 5 days per weekWeek 4If no pain, advance to 20min run at normal training pace, no more than 5 days per weekWeeks 5-8If no pain, gradually increase running speed, volume, and acceleration as tolerate
"

Notice the "if no pain" conditional in each progressive test. None.

Every team in the NBA knows how to defend against the pick and roll.
The game was not slow 20 years ago. In the 1980s it was race horse basketball.
Players that understand the game can play with anyone.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Maybe Bogdan playing with Serbia last summer wasn't the best thing for him. Me and many others echoed the idea that he needs a summer to rest and fully get healthy. I understand his love to support his national team, but it really sucks when you see stuff like this come out. It seems like Bogdan struggles staying healthy. He's really important for the success of this team, but I wouldn't want him to put his body on the line just for a few wins. Let's be real, are we a playoff team even when 100% healthy? It's not a guarantee at all.

Might be reactionary, but this could be another year in the lottery...again...
The Kings are hanging close to the 8th slot without Fox and Bagley. There are no guarantees, but it seems highly likely that if they were healthy this team would be above .500 and being talked about for the 6th, 7th, or 8th slot in the playoffs. But without a 100% healthy Bogs it's very hard for me to see this team stay within playoff striking distance before the elite talent comes back. This applies especially to the absence of Fox because with an unhealthy Fox and an unhealthy Bogs the Kings just don't have sufficient playmakers to win consistently. The return of Bagley should help somewhat because his inside offensive threat can "break the paint" and help produce space for the Kings' outside shooters, but that's a lot to expect of the 20 year old Bagley.

Upon the return of Bagley, the logjam with the bigs will become cement-like. It seems logical to me that Divac will explore trades of a big for a small, specifically a small that can make plays for others. That might buy the time Fox needs to get healthy before a final playoff push.

I love Bogi, but I'm growing weary of his injuries. I understand him wanting to play for his national team. But does he understand that he's not giving us his best because of that? A Bogi giving us his best is at least as valuable (to us) as Buddy. But the Bogi we're getting is disappointing.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Did you watch Bogi in FIBA? He played almost totally off the ball. The problem is Fox rarely passes to him when he is standing alone on the weakside.
Yes and I even pointed out how much pick and roll he ran compared to his time with the Kings. As I said, he can play off the ball but he's not nearly the same player and the breakout we are seeing has a lot do to with that. He could get better in a better system next to Fox but they still won't be getting all of his skill out of him and if he's competing with Buddy off the ball, Buddy should win that battle long term.

I love Bogi, but I'm growing weary of his injuries. I understand him wanting to play for his national team. But does he understand that he's not giving us his best because of that? A Bogi giving us his best is at least as valuable (to us) as Buddy. But the Bogi we're getting is disappointing.
That’s put simply. Pretty much how I see it.

Last edited:
I feel like we're not talking about the same things here. Would it help if Bogdan stays out of the national team? The answer is - I don't know, there's no way to be 100% sure. He'd have more free time and no competitive games before the NBA season. He'd still have to go through hard summer practice in order to get ready for the season. There's no guarantee he wouldn't get injured during that practice or during pre-season games.

Him not playing for the national team could possibly help out, but then again, 90%+ of all players who get injured during a single NBA season didn't play for the national team the previous summer. Most of them have never played for any national team in their careers. Also, 50% of all NBA players finish their season in April and don't play official games till November... and still, a bunch of them get injured.

That being said, I am against saying: playing for the national team = injuries. Bagley and Fox decided not to play for the national team and they already missed 20+ games combined. Bjelica, Barnes, and Bogi played for their NTs and missed 1-2 games combined. Bagley also missed 20 games last season without playing for the NT a year before.

And one more important point, Bogdan has been finishing his season in April for the past two years. In 2018, there wasn't any national competition and he only played one qualifying game in September and got injured off the ball, without a contact. There's a good chance he'd get the same injury during some pre-season Sacramento game. So in 2018, he had a break from April till September. This year, he had a break from April till the end of July/beginning of August. I simply cannot agree that 3-5 months break isn't enough for a professional player.
You need to look at the research. Lack of rest leads to injuries. Bogi isn’t getting hurt from contact. And Bogi has gotten hurt repeatedly. Lastly as someone whose child plays on a National team, the commitment is never just about the games. Significant practice time and scrimmages come into play before the event.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kings-bogdan-bogdanovic-playing-consistent-051154710.html

""I'm just trying to help the guys to win these games," Bogdanovic told NBC Sports California. "This hamstring cannot get worse than it is now, but I struggle with it. It hurts all the time. When I bend, it's there, the pain is there. But it's something I have to deal with, I have to play with consistent pain. But no excuses."

Riddle me this batman - are the players running the team or what?

"It's not a debilitating injury for Bogdanovic, but it hurts. The good news is, he can't really do further damage."

Thanks Dr. Ham, for that absurd observation Of course it can get worse. Its a strain - you know, mirco-tears in the muscle that can further tear over more area or deeper tear over the same affected area with further strenuous activity.

"6 minute stretches of play" -- Its Where's Walton's world! 6 minutes -- some completely arbitrary quantity of time. How 'bout no minutes. Zero.

Hamstrings are notorious for slow healing - and re-injury. They are, along with quads, the power muscle for sprinting. Kiss defense good-bye for starters.

Sounds foolhardy and risky - playing Bogdan on an already strained hamstring. This isn't intramurals Should rest him 2-3 weeks and re-evaluate - even if it means more losses. Of course if you ask a young player, he's gonna want to play THROUGH the pain. Sounds like he should've been out the whole time.
Injuries are destroying this team. Maybe I just don't know enough about conditioning etc. but it is wild to me that our three best players are hurt when most of the other teams in the league have their full roster. My fear is by the time they all three get healthy it will be too late

I am more interested in statistics about what percentage of players got injured that played for/practiced with NT compared to players who did not do that.
Bagley and Fox practices with NT. However, I don't think their injuries are caused by that. They played during the summer for the first time.

IMO, opinion it is more about the length of a season, playing for NT, he prolongs the season by two months. Especially if he doing it year after year.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
In the last game Napier made it sound like Bogs was pretty certain to play against SA. So far, no official word on Bogs. If he's a 100% healthy, great, I'd love to see him out there. But if we're going to see "lame Bogs" play tonight, that's not good.

The game was not slow 20 years ago. In the 1980s it was race horse basketball.
I'm going to partly take both sides. NBA pace hit its lowest ebb in '98-'99, at 88.9. Since then it's come back up to 101, but before 1988 it was always over 100, and sometimes as high as 108. So it was slow 20 years ago, but it's still not as fast as it was when Dr. J was playing.