Blow It Up

The problem is that for the extreme measure they went, they need rings to show for it.
Not really? Winning a title is mostly luck with injuries and having the good fortune of having a top 5 player on your team. I would never have called the Sixers the favorite in any season, but they were certainly on the short list of teams talented enough with good "enough" high end stars to actually get there. They're certainly closer than we've ever been in 20 years.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So we’re heavily rumored to be after Simmons, a diva that won’t/can’t shoot and Sabonis, a big that can’t defend….

… all to make the play in. Vivek is wonderful.
Id rather be an interesting disaster than whatever we are now.

BRING IT!

So we’re heavily rumored to be after Simmons, a diva that won’t/can’t shoot and Sabonis, a big that can’t defend….

… all to make the play in. Vivek is wonderful.
Yeah I’m worried we trade for Simmons and Harris by sending out Fox, Barnes and Buddy. Then we are stuck with Simmons and only one player in Hali that can actually shoot catch and shoot 3’s. What’s worse is we likely send out a first round pick with them.

Not really? Winning a title is mostly luck with injuries and having the good fortune of having a top 5 player on your team. I would never have called the Sixers the favorite in any season, but they were certainly on the short list of teams talented enough with good "enough" high end stars to actually get there. They're certainly closer than we've ever been in 20 years.
Right, but they went to a drastically extreme measure and basically took a total dump of 5 seasons of basketball and said we aren't even going to try. When you do that, and expect fans to still buy tickets so they can see you when it pays off, second round of the playoffs is unacceptable. The Blazers (a team we should at minimum be in their shoes if we had competent drafting) drafted Dame and hit the WCF in the same timeframe.

I'm not comparing them to us, because we refuse to do the bare minimum and attempt a rebuild of any kind.

Right, but they went to a drastically extreme measure and basically took a total dump of 5 seasons of basketball and said we aren't even going to try. When you do that, and expect fans to still buy tickets so they can see you when it pays off, second round of the playoffs is unacceptable. The Blazers (a team we should at minimum be in their shoes if we had competent drafting) drafted Dame and hit the WCF in the same timeframe.

I'm not comparing them to us, because we refuse to do the bare minimum and attempt a rebuild of any kind.
It's not up to you to judge, They are in the top attendance in the past few years.

It's not up to you to judge, They are in the top attendance in the past few years.
What was their attendance during the process? Did they discount STH when it started? They were a playoff team the year before.

I am a STH in another sport/team. I've been unable to sell tickets often because the actions of the FO and had to eat them. It sucks. I'll judge from that lens.

I mean, I’m down to be a disaster if we keep our picks.

But win more moves tend to jettison those
would love to know the full scoop on Turner if he'll be healthy next year that's the kind of buy now to win later move I like assuming we keep our pick and it helps our draft position.

Draft good players, trade for good players, develop good players and instill a winning culture is the way. Maybe that’s through a top 3 pick or maybe not. Finding a superstar doesn’t even guarantee winning. Having multiple star wings doesn’t guarantee winning. Tanking doesn’t guarantee winning.

Chemistry matters. Culture matters. Mentality matters. Coaching matters.

I also think fans should let go of the last 15
Years and concentrate on the last 2 and move forward.
True. The Lakers have a few stars and ain’t that much better than us, if at all. What a waste

Good post.

In addition to talent, you gotta find the right type of players. 5 Lonzo Balls will beat 5 Foxes each time. The 5 Foxes may be more talented individually, but combined, the talent decays when they don't play for each other. The reason I hate watching this current team is, outside of a few players, this team is just so damn selfish and low BBIQ.
A bunch of Lonzo Balls ain’t beating anybody of note without some bonafide shooting and scoring surrounding them. Both types have their flaws

Hitting on a top 5 talent isn't going to get you out of the gutter if getting it guts you of your existing talent and resources.

And remember, the expected draft pick spot for a team that has the worst record in the league is 4. You are HOPING against the odds that you can land a top 3 pick, even if you went 0-82.

Approaching team building holistically instead of putting all your hopes in one draft lottery roll of the dice for draft positioning and then hoping that the player you select actually works out seems to be a smarter way to go about it. The draft is great for what it is, but don't pin all your hopes on it.
Quoting this because people need to read this post as often as possible. Whew.

Lets forget about the other draft picks sixers missed on during this whole process. They got lucky with embied and now they're genius? Most the key people on that team sixes didn't even draft. They are literally creating a star in there pg now. And it's because they made it to playoffs. Not that they won championship. They made it to offs now they are expected to go to offs. Culture building at old finest. Lwts get to playoffs
And making the playoffs in the Eastern conference all those years ain’t some big accomplishment. At all.

Honestly all I really care about is being a good defensive team.

Couldn't care less about offense at this point.

I think being a good defensive team kind of alludes to doing it right.

Because in the end defense is purely about team, offense not really.

I think a good defense is priority
Shooting the ball when your team absolutely needs you to - in order to have a chance late in ball games - is team ball as well. If we do somehow acquire Ben Simmons, he’s gonna have to snap out of it. Defense isn’t good enough for me, although it’d be a nice change of pace around here. Idk, I’m just saying the grass certainly isn’t always greener.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Monte should be fired if he does nothing at the deadline. Seriously.
I still think he’s been dealt an awful hand by Vlade.

Nobody wants Buddy or Bagley, and while Barnes has value, I don’t think he’s going to nab us a player that will catapult us into playoff contention.

But then the question is, why not tank?

Well, Vivek. That’s why. Firing Monte will solve nothing. We can only hope Vivek’s son will be a better owner/gm when he inherits the team in twenty years or wherever, otherwise we’re in for a dynastic era of suckitude.

So...we're supposed to trade away our players for less than they are worth? This does not seem to be a wise strategy, especially for a team that has trouble attracting free agents.
I'm glad to see the reports they told Fox isn't being shopped, but this franchise has been so open and obvious about it in the past, and no, you don't do that then sit.

I still think he’s been dealt an awful hand by Vlade.

Nobody wants Buddy or Bagley, and while Barnes has value, I don’t think he’s going to nab us a player that will catapult us into playoff contention.

But then the question is, why not tank?

Well, Vivek. That’s why. Firing Monte will solve nothing. We can only hope Vivek’s son will be a better owner/gm when he inherits the team in twenty years or wherever, otherwise we’re in for a dynastic era of suckitude.
Awful hand? Not the best for sure but the problem now is that Monte in many ways has only made it worse by not being aggressive. Anything Monte could have controlled in theory such as firing Walton before he took the team as far down as it could go were left wide open. He let it run things down way farther than necessary. Even if not his fault, Monte dangled Buddy all the way out the door and then just let it sit when it fell through. Can't do that. You fired the bullet, now you have to follow through in some other way. He ran back a team under a coach with no history of success. He signed players like Harkless to a 2nd year. Why? That will actually potentially hurt this next summer if he needs to clear some space. He started his own build by creating a lottery pick 3 headed PG monster and proclaimed Mitchell can play 4 positions, which he hasn't even forced his coach to pull off.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Awful hand? Not the best for sure but the problem now is that Monte in many ways has only made it worse by not being aggressive. Anything Monte could have controlled in theory such as firing Walton before he took the team as far down as it could go were left wide open. He let it run things down way farther than necessary. Even if not his fault, Monte dangled Buddy all the way out the door and then just let it sit when it fell through. Can't do that. You fired the bullet, now you have to follow through in some other way. He ran back a team under a coach with no history of success. He signed players like Harkless to a 2nd year. Why? That will actually potentially hurt this next summer if he needs to clear some space. He started his own build by creating a lottery pick 3 headed PG monster and proclaimed Mitchell can play 4 positions, which he hasn't even forced his coach to pull off.
So it’s McNair’s fault nobody wants Buddy? A player that is elite from 3, but complete trash at all other facets of basketball? If LeBron didn’t tank the Buddy for Kuz trade, McNair would look like a genius right now.

Harkless doesnt move the needle one way or another, but it’s hard to get too bent over his contribution to the cap when no FA wants to come here anyways.

Mitchell at BPA is TBD. The fit is pretty wonky, and I’d have preferred we took a flier on Sengun, but I can see why he drafted Davion onto this charmin soft team just from a culture standpoint.

I’m pretty sure keeping Luke had Vivek’s stank all over it, but since we can’t prove it either way we can agree to disagree on how this reflects on McNair. I totally agree with you that Luke should have been canned this past summer though.

Honestly, I’m not even a McNair fan. I just don’t think it’s fair to expect him to turn garbage to gold when he also has to answer to this franchise’s terrible owner.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
So it’s McNair’s fault nobody wants Buddy? A player that is elite from 3, but complete trash at all other facets of basketball? If LeBron didn’t tank the Buddy for Kuz trade, McNair would look like a genius right now.

Harkless doesnt move the needle one way or another, but it’s hard to get too bent over his contribution to the cap when no FA wants to come here anyways.

Mitchell at BPA is TBD. The fit is pretty wonky, and I’d have preferred we took a flier on Sengun, but I can see why he drafted Davion onto this charmin soft team just from a culture standpoint.

I’m pretty sure keeping Luke had Vivek’s stank all over it, but since we can’t prove it either way we can agree to disagree on how this reflects on McNair. I totally agree with you that Luke should have been canned this past summer though.

Honestly, I’m not even a McNair fan. I just don’t think it’s fair to expect him to turn garbage to gold when he also has to answer to this franchise’s terrible owner.
Lakers screwed up that Hield Kuzma Montez deal or rather Lamebron screwed it up by wanting Westbrook.

Like, I’m not tripping on McNair at all. The 2 deals that were in plac and I include the Bogie Divencenzo deal were pretty damn good but the Bucks or whomever screwed it up as did Lamebron. I don’t buy that the Kings got used on that.

You either can look at Monte and think he’s being to gunshy or you can look at him as holding firm on the values he believes in for his current guys.

I’m with the latter point as some of you would have already dumped some of our guys for below value (Barnes to the Celtics for jack squat)