Blow It Up

So it’s McNair’s fault nobody wants Buddy? A player that is elite from 3, but complete trash at all other facets of basketball? If LeBron didn’t tank the Buddy for Kuz trade, McNair would look like a genius right now.

Harkless doesnt move the needle one way or another, but it’s hard to get too bent over his contribution to the cap when no FA wants to come here anyways.

Mitchell at BPA is TBD. The fit is pretty wonky, and I’d have preferred we took a flier on Sengun, but I can see why he drafted Davion onto this charmin soft team just from a culture standpoint.

I’m pretty sure keeping Luke had Vivek’s stank all over it, but since we can’t prove it either way we can agree to disagree on how this reflects on McNair. I totally agree with you that Luke should have been canned this past summer though.

Honestly, I’m not even a McNair fan. I just don’t think it’s fair to expect him to turn garbage to gold when he also has to answer to this franchise’s terrible owner.
Yes it is but yes, that is if he's not just a shield for Dumars. All of these things tie together. You can't take chunks off your cap like that if the potential is there to make a move to clear space. At the very least no 2 year deals or have a team option. Nobody was signing Harkless to a deal like that. NOBODY. Vlade was actually way better at that kind of thing. You don't stack positions and allow a coach like Walton, who has a very clear history of making certain players look worse to hang on only to eventually make the move at a time where they fell of another cliff anyway. You don't literally trade players who are already in a negative space, bring them back, and expect songs by the campfire to commence. No, not if you're trying to win.

Yes it is but yes, that is if he's not just a shield for Dumars. All of these things tie together. You can't take chunks off your cap like that if the potential is there to make a move to clear space. At the very least no 2 year deals or have a team option. Nobody was signing Harkless to a deal like that. NOBODY. Vlade was actually way better at that kind of thing. You don't stack positions and allow a coach like Walton, who has a very clear history of making certain players look worse to hang on only to eventually make the move at a time where they fell of another cliff anyway. You don't literally trade players who are already in a negative space, bring them back, and expect songs by the campfire to commence. No, not if you're trying to win.
Monte’s biggest failing was bringing Walton back. No doubt Walton went to bat for Harkless and that contract. He's Luke's kinda player.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Oh lord, I keep forgetting about Dumars.

And I totally agree with all your points but like I said.... I think Monte is just a symptom of this franchises terminal Vivek-itis. Fire him and the prognosis still isn't going to be good.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Just to recap where we stand:

Kings offered Hali, Barnes, Buddy and 2 first round picks for Ben, Harris, Thybulle and the Sixers said? Aww Hell Naww

Kings have no interest in Harris’ inclusion in a Simmons deal.

Kings intend to build around Fox and Halliburton

Kings are interested in a trade for Simmons or Sabonis

Got it.
Where there's smoke there's... a freshly packed bong?

Oh lord, I keep forgetting about Dumars.

And I totally agree with all your points but like I said.... I think Monte is just a symptom of this franchises terminal Vivek-itis. Fire him and the prognosis still isn't going to be good.
And if Dumars is running this from the shadows, and he may very well be, then yes, this ain't getting fixed until someone with legit experience and a rep at GM kicks everyone else to the side and they follow that persons lead. In the end, Monte is there. Well, sometimes. And when he is, his title puts him officially in the flak position.

Monte’s biggest failing was bringing Walton back. No doubt Walton went to bat for Harkless and that contract. He's Luke's kinda player.
And when he had a chance to correct that failure, he double downed and went with the coach that said he wouldn’t change the way the team was coached by Walton. What’s the point of firing Walton if you are going to coach the way he was coaching?

Too much smoke for there to be nothing going on. I have a feeling we’ll get Simmons, maybe even before the deadline. It’d be cool if we could trade for him before we play Philly on the road, too. :D

I still think he’s been dealt an awful hand by Vlade.

Nobody wants Buddy or Bagley, and while Barnes has value, I don’t think he’s going to nab us a player that will catapult us into playoff contention.

But then the question is, why not tank?

Well, Vivek. That’s why. Firing Monte will solve nothing. We can only hope Vivek’s son will be a better owner/gm when he inherits the team in twenty years or wherever, otherwise we’re in for a dynastic era of suckitude.
Yes but who will his son be Kendall Roy or Roman Roy. We'll get Roman but we really need Kendall.

(For anyone that watches succession on HBO)

Just to recap where we stand:

Kings offered Hali, Barnes, Buddy and 2 first round picks for Ben, Harris, Thybulle and the Sixers said? Aww Hell Naww

Kings have no interest in Harris’ inclusion in a Simmons deal.

Kings intend to build around Fox and Halliburton

Kings are interested in a trade for Simmons or Sabonis

Got it.
Imagine if that first trade actually went through and we had to give up two first rounders? I'd actually want to see it happen in a sick way.

I have a hard time believing the Hali trade. We would be left with:

Mitchell
Fox
Harris
Simmons
Holmes

5 players, who at least this year, are non shooters.

Even if Mitchell improved and Harris goes back to normal you don’t have enough shooting and you have 3 max contracts with no picks to improve the team.

gunks

Hall of Famer
And if Dumars is running this from the shadows, and he may very well be, then yes, this ain't getting fixed until someone with legit experience and a rep at GM kicks everyone else to the side and they follow that persons lead. In the end, Monte is there. Well, sometimes. And when he is, his title puts him officially in the flak position.
Can't argue there.

Either way this team is horribly mismanaged, I'm going to always blame Vivek, because there's no way in hell he isn't still meddling, nevermind his ridiculous approach of having too many cooks in the kitchen (Dumars).

I may or may not jump on the bandwagon of also blaming McNair pending this trade deadline.

It truly is the silly season folks. Please take everything you read or hear regarding trades with a HEALTHY dose of skepticism (at a minimum). Most of it likely isn't true.
It's what I've been saying! I mean look at this... Just two more spins by random "journalists" and we gonna overanalyze this too and say "oh the Kings must be done with trading! Sky is falling!"

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So here's my 0.01 bits of information I can cull from all of the leaks, Simmons version.

1) Both sides are acknowledging, at least tacitly, that there have been talks
2) Both sides are making noises that indicate they are not happy with the other side's offer

But

3) Instead of this being "insider basketball", it's being aired out over Twitter, etc.
4) This suggests the sides are putting pressure on each other, which makes it effectively a game of chicken.

Who swerves first?

Well, we should remember that Morey is driving a brand-new Ferrari, and we're driving a beat-up 1983 Chevy Blazer. We can afford to not swerve. Eh, we get a few more dents on the front end and just keep on truckin'. Can Morey afford to not swerve?

As long as we hold the line and don't give in to unreasonable demands, I'm OK if no deal happens. Just don't make a deal that makes the team worse in the long run than doing nothing at all.

So here's my 0.01 bits of information I can cull from all of the leaks, Simmons version.

1) Both sides are acknowledging, at least tacitly, that there have been talks
2) Both sides are making noises that indicate they are not happy with the other side's offer

But

3) Instead of this being "insider basketball", it's being aired out over Twitter, etc.
4) This suggests the sides are putting pressure on each other, which makes it effectively a game of chicken.

Who swerves first?

Well, we should remember that Morey is driving a brand-new Ferrari, and we're driving a beat-up 1983 Chevy Blazer. We can afford to not swerve. Eh, we get a few more dents on the front end and just keep on truckin'. Can Morey afford to not swerve?

As long as we hold the line and don't give in to unreasonable demands, I'm OK if no deal happens. Just don't make a deal that makes the team worse in the long run than doing nothing at all.
Our blazer is paid off and is cheap to insure and register. Yes Morey has a Ferrari in Imbiid but there is a ticking clock to keep him happy and healthy.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Daryl Morey negotiating openly in the press is an interesting development. We don't know what deal he wants the Kings to make but it's hard to imagine anything happens which doesn't include one of Fox or Haliburton and at least one pick. I'm mixed on the idea of acquiring Tobias Harris if that's what it takes to get a deal across the finish line. We do need more wing depth regardless and his massive deal is only two more years but we'd be handcuffed completely for those two years.

I don't think we should give up Fox and pick(s) and also take Harris but I was willing to include Haliburton in a Simmons deal two months ago and I'm still willing to do it now. Simmons is about equal to Haliburton as a passer (both are exceptional) and better as a defender. The big issue is shooting. Fox/Simmons is a great core in every way except shooting but you can't win right now without shooting. It's a conundrum and you better believe Morey is betting on us flinching first.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Our blazer is paid off and is cheap to insure and register. Yes Morey has a Ferrari in Imbiid but there is a ticking clock to keep him happy and healthy.
Yep, this is why I think if there's a deal to be made, Morey will eventually swerve. We, on the other hand, are better off with the collision (i.e. no deal made, rumor mill may make players upset) than swerving and making a losing trade.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
James Ham reporting that the Kings are making HB, Holmes and Hield available. Basically, the new core is Fox and Haliburton. This sure sounds like starting over to me.

https://kings-beat.beehiiv.com/p/sources-kings-hope-build-around-deaaron-fox-tyrese-haliburton?s=09
Except that the Kings have done everything in their power to lessen all of them. Including Holmes. Dude has a legit push shot, and they've even gone away from that. Just plain stupid. You get out what you put in and the problem with this organization is that they botch anything and everything that they have through plain misuse. Just use what you have to it's strengths and you'll never completely lose out, COMMON SENSE.

Daryl Morey negotiating openly in the press is an interesting development. We don't know what deal he wants the Kings to make but it's hard to imagine anything happens which doesn't include one of Fox or Haliburton and at least one pick. I'm mixed on the idea of acquiring Tobias Harris if that's what it takes to get a deal across the finish line. We do need more wing depth regardless and his massive deal is only two more years but we'd be handcuffed completely for those two years.

I don't think we should give up Fox and pick(s) and also take Harris but I was willing to include Haliburton in a Simmons deal two months ago and I'm still willing to do it now. Simmons is about equal to Haliburton as a passer (both are exceptional) and better as a defender. The big issue is shooting. Fox/Simmons is a great core in every way except shooting but you can't win right now without shooting. It's a conundrum and you better believe Morey is betting on us flinching first.
Morey using Monte as leverage, nothing new. He just better realize that the last time a team did that it wasn't just the Kings suffering as a result, lol.

As others have said. This is just an embarrassing climbdown where they've realised they can't get a tin of beans for Fox.
Or it could just be the sixers wanting too much. We’ve all seen the rumors of what else they’ve turned down or wanted just for simmons. Morey is delusional. Our almost allstar in some eyes and scrub in others eyes can’t get a multiple allstar straight up. Anyone really surprised? What do you expect monte to do next? Keep what you got, build around it and hope they get better or trade him pennies on the dollar?