Billups and Webber cancelling each other out?

Billups bothered by struggle to mesh with Webber

"It changes things, man, it does," Billups said. "When Chris is out there, we go through him and let him make plays. When he's not, I'm attacking, I'm aggressive and I am making plays. I am struggling with that a lot -- when to do what."

"The only thing that's different is Chris," Billups said. "He's the only new guy and he's a big piece. He's a guy that can really make plays. On one hand, it takes a lot of pressure off me. I don't have to make every play. On the other hand, it puts me in too much of a passive mode and sometimes it's hard for me to turn it back on."

Webber and Billups are confident the issue will resolve itself with a few more games. Webber, in fact, seemed surprised it was even a concern.

"I don't understand that," he said. "In the second half (Sunday against Miami), Rip (Hamilton) was really cutting hard and moving and he got involved a lot when I had the ball. Both him and Tay (Prince)."

"But Chauncey is the man and he needs to be aggressive at all times," Webber said.

"There should never be a time when he's not. He's deadly from the outside and on the inside. It should never be a problem. He's the point guard. The ball should be in his hands when he wants it."

Still, Saunders does not buy the notion Webber and Billups cancel each other out on offense.

"It's a positive," Saunders said. "It means you are not one-dimensional. Depending on where you see potential weaknesses (in the opposing defense), you use whatever means you have to exploit it."

What it will come down to, ultimately, is play-calling. If the matchup favors running the offense through the low post, then Saunders would use the sets that feature Webber. If the matchup favors running things out of the perimeter, then he would call Billups' number. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

"This is something that can be worked out," Billups said. "It's just a matter of time and playing together a little bit more."
Trouble in Motown? I think this will go away as Billups gets more time on the court with Chris and just plays his game the same way he has the past four years.

Well, I'm a bit surprised that CWebb didn't take this opportunity to make a somewhat controversial statement (either intentionally or unintentionally) as he often did as a King.

And considering how inconsistently the Pistons have been playing lately, I'm not surprised that there is some type of tension. The Pistons have to know that the East is theirs for the taking if they can just put everything together, but as of late they haven't really done that for whatever reason.

Saunders has the right outlook... but I see Billups' point. Webber dominates the ball, for good or bad.
Actually in this stretch, Webber has been playing WAY under 30 minutes a game (mostly due to side-effects from the flu). So it is impossible to say that he has been dominating the ball at all. If anything, Chauncey dominates the ball by holding it until so late in the shot clock (although thats certainly part of the Pistons gameplan). In fact, its safe to argue that the Pistons seem to be at their best when Webb is getting minutes and is on the floor.