Big Game for Kings - Seattle vs. New Orleans???

This could very well end up being a huge game with regards to the Western Conference standings. Believe it or not, Seattle has not clinched their division yet. If Denver continues it's hot streak, Seattle might NEED this game to maintain the 3 seed. They have a 4 game lead w/ 5 games left. Here are their remaining games:

vs. Dallas
vs. New Orleans
@ Minnesota
@ Dallas
@ Houston

With San Antonio a possible 2 seed, if Denver snuck in as the 3 seed, the Kings don't want to mess around with 6th spot. Lets just win out the rest of the year and face Dallas and Phoenix!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well actually, here's a kicker for ya:

If Seattle were to lose the division to Denver, then Dallas stays #4, but Seattle would most likely fall to the 5th seed (they have 50 wins and the tiebreaker over us). So unless we also caught and passed Seattle we would end up with the 6th seed at BEST. So only way to avoid Denver would be to draw San Antonio. :eek:

Last edited:
i think seattle will win at least one more game..then that way they would get first...but if we just win out..then there is nothing to worry about..cuz if we do we will be ahead of seattle if they were to lose out..and we would be ahead of denver so if we were to play them we would get homecourt..and i think that would help alottt

my head is just spinning over all of these possibilities...I do believe that Seattle will at least get that win over NO to clinch before Denver has a chance to pass them for the clinch..

F

Fillmoe

Bricklayer said:
Well actually, here's a kicker for ya:

If Seattle were to lose the division to Denver, then Dallas stays #4, but Seattle would most likely fall to the 5th seed (they have 50 wins and the tiebreaker over us). So unless we also caught and passed Seattle we would end up with the 6th seed at BEST. So only way to avoid Denver would be to draw San Antonio. :eek:
if we go 3-1 we will remain in the 5th seed...... but i have a good feeling we are gonna go 4-0

teamdimechampionship said:
What if Seattle lost out, Denver lost a game or two, and we win out! Then we would have homecourt vs. Seattle....I think.....Now I have confused myself again.....Lets just wait and see!
That sounded pretty confusing... lol i personally think that the standings might stay the way they are right now. Probably just a few changes between the 6th seed thru 8th seed but thats about it.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Honestly, depending on who is healthy after the next week, just about anyone could be ripe for picking....

Get your gloves.... :)

teamdimechampionship said:
What if Seattle lost out, Denver lost a game or two, and we win out! Then we would have homecourt vs. Seattle....I think.....Now I have confused myself again.....Lets just wait and see!
We will never have homecourt advantage because we can't catch either Dallas for that #4 seed, or Phoenix for that Division title. Period. So regardless what happens with the Northwest Division, we better be prepared to hit the road in the playoffs.

Wasn't Seattle's magic number 1 2 weeks ago? This has to be some kind of record for the longest period of time that that magic number hasn't changed. All Seattle had to do was win a single game OR Denver to lose one, and it just hasn't happened.

Still, even if Denver were to catch the Kings, I wouldn't jump for joy over facing Seattle. Getting Rashard Lewis and Vladamir Radmanovic (2nd and 3rd top scorers) back for the playoffs would make them dangerous again. The Kings weren't able to beat that team the first 3 times around.

Caesar Rex said:
We will never have homecourt advantage because we can't catch either Dallas for that #4 seed, or Phoenix for that Division title. Period. So regardless what happens with the Northwest Division, we better be prepared to hit the road in the playoffs.
not true. if seattle lost the rest of their games and we won all of ours, then we would have HCA in the first round! but seattle has to remain the 3 seed which means denver has to lose a game too.:D

kingsfannPDX said:
not true. if seattle lost the rest of their games and we won all of ours, then we would have HCA in the first round! but seattle has to remain the 3 seed which means denver has to lose a game too.:D
Unfortunately that's not true either. If we win out...we're the 5 seed...which puts us playing Dallas...which may give us a better record than Seattle, but no HCA over Dallas.

kingsfannPDX said:
That's incorrect. The division winner automatically gets the first three spots. Then the fourth spot would go to Dallas. Neither Denver or the Kings can catch Dallas, so there will automatically be the northwest division winner in the third spot and the second place team would be fifth or lower.

Joker112 said:
That's incorrect. The division winner automatically gets the first three spots. Then the fourth spot would go to Dallas. Neither Denver or the Kings can catch Dallas, so there will automatically be the northwest division winner in the third spot and the second place team would be fifth or lower.
If a team with the lower seed has a better record than the team with the higher seed, the lower seeded team has home court advantage. I believe this happened with us and Dallas two years ago.

keflanag said:
If a team with the lower seed has a better record than the team with the higher seed, the lower seeded team has home court advantage. I believe this happened with us and Dallas two years ago.
This cannot happen in the First Round. It can only happen in the subsequent rounds of the playoffs. This did happen with us and Dallas (the series Webb got hurt in), but it was in the 2nd round.

Fillmoe said:
if we go 3-1 we will remain in the 5th seed...... but i have a good feeling we are gonna go 4-0
Not true. If the Kings go 3-1 and the Rockets go 4-0 then they both finish with the same record and the Rockets would get the tiebreaker. Kings and Rockets split the season series (2-2) and the next tiebreaker would be who has the better conference record and the Rockets would win that tiebreaker and get the 5th seed. The Rockets have 4 games left, all at home: Memphis, Denver, Seattle and the Clips. It's very possible that they go 4-0 and even if they go 3-1 they get the 5th seed if the Kings go 2-2. If the Kings and Nuggets finish with the same record the Kings get the tiebreaker because they beat them 2 out of 3 this season.

Diabeticwonder said:
This cannot happen in the First Round. It can only happen in the subsequent rounds of the playoffs. This did happen with us and Dallas (the series Webb got hurt in), but it was in the 2nd round.
This CAN happen in the first round. It just is very unlikely that a 3 seed has a worse record than a 6 seed. But it is possible. We might see it in the East this year if the 6 seed (Washington or Indiana) has a better record than Boston.

keflanag said:
This CAN happen in the first round. It just is very unlikely that a 3 seed has a worse record than a 6 seed. But it is possible. We might see it in the East this year if the 6 seed (Washington or Indiana) has a better record than Boston.
My bad...Thanks!!!

Home Court Advantage
Home court advantage throughout the NBA playoffs will be based solely on regular season record, not playoff seeding, thus a divisional winner that has a higher playoff seed than an opponent will not necessarily have home court advantage in the playoff series. This advantage can be particularly important when the series is close. A cheering home crowd and familiar court can make all the difference.

Playoff upsets
Of course the fact that a team has a higher seeding doesn’t necessarily mean they are going to win the match-up:
NBA history was made back in 1999 when the New York Knicks became the first team to reach the Finals from the last place playoff spot. Although having beaten all their opponents in the East, the Knicks fell to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA Finals.
Perhaps the best example of a seeding upset was in 1995 when the Houston Rockets, seeded sixth, went all the way to win the Championship title, beating the Orlando Magic 4-0!
From the NBA website. :)

Last edited:
Geez, this is confusing me!!:eek:

Since Kings already clinched the PO, I'll just want to see how everything plays out in the seeding instead of confusing myself. Don't matter who the Kings face, I think Kings will do well in the PO. ;)