Bibby's no good, so trade Peja...

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTH has happened to Kings fans anyways? Everyone has someone on the team they dog out. Mike and Peja are both really good players the argument could be made that either of them is the best player on the team. Pejas offense suffered without great passers like WEBBER and DIVAC, and Mikes defensive game has suffered without a healthy Christie, and the likes of a Keon clark or a Scott Pollard(healthy/young) or even a long aggressive defender like Hedo Turkoglu to rotate over and help. Mike Bibby is the best scoring point guard in the league period and thats inside and out, and it only improves when the pressure is on. His assists have also been climbing steadily over the last few years and really took a jump when Webb was traded. Peja is the one of the best shooters on the planet and has to constantly be shadowed by the best opponents defender night in and night out or else he will make you pay, and that opens up the offense for EVERYBODY. He has also really worked on his defensive game and has been our best defender in the playoffs when it matters. Say what you want, but guarding Dirk may be one of the toughest assignments in the league and he has really impressed me with his ability to make him work, and stop him when the game is on the line. These guys both have weaknesses but their strengths more than make up for them. IMO, These two aren't the problem, they just can't carry or lead the team like Webber and Divac did, mostly because they don't have great talent around them right now like those two did. We need better players all around, the way this team has been constructed at this point is just ridiculous, and if the player personel decisions don't change their tendicies that will be why we are on the outside looking in come playoff time next year. Petrie get to work so I can stop reading this ****!

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

Why the hell not? Everybody else on the team from the coach on down gets criticized for their shortcomings (well, maybe not Coachie) and/or made into a scapegoat; why should Stojakovic get a free pass?

You can't say things like the guy is/was "Easily one of the top three or four players in the league," (your words) and then get all bent out of shape when he receives the level of criticism that's commensurate of a player of that stature. A player who is allegedly, at least in the eyes of a vocal minority, the best player on his team. Either he's a "number one" guy (which I don't personally think he is) and he and his fans need to suck it up and accept the level of criticism that is bestowed upon "number one" players (the same level of criticism, I'd like to point out, that Webber was subjected to as the Number One guy here), or he's a roleplayer.

You can't have it both ways, and I haven't heard anybody who says that Stojakovic shouldn't have to take criticism go on to say that he should be anything less than the Number One option, so get over it. If you don't think that he should get the star "treatment," then you need to be prepared to say that he isn't, and should be considered, a star.

Say what now?

Now I know that you haven't been here long; sloter? The sloter that posts on this board? Doesn't criticize players? They may not have to criticize players to prove themselves, but that certainly hasn't ever stopped them.

You trying to say that those guys haven't criticized Kings players? Those guys specifically? That's the most laughable thing I've read all month. And I respect sloter; he and I don't agree on much of anything, but at least he brings the content most of the time.
Look, I never said no one could criticize Peja, but there's a point at which it gets excessive, and I think there have been some posts lately that cross that line. It's important to keep a sense of reality about the team and not just carp on the negative constantly. In my earlier posts, I was bristling at the fact that I was getting criticized just for defending Peja. Just for defending him!! Not for saying he's the greatest player in the world and can never be traded, just for saying, hey, it's not all that bad.

I agree with you, Peja should be able to shoulder the load and the criticism and everything that goes along with being one of the top players in the league. I think you're mischaracterizing my points to suggest that I don't think he should be subject to criticism. I just think that criticism should not get so excessive that people are just slapping cliched labels on him and calling it a day, and then jumping all over people who have the gall to defend him.

Wow, pretty good debate going on here between vf21 and nbrans.... anyway

I don't think Peja's the problem and I don't think the other Kings are the problem. I just think one doesn't fit with the other anymore. We all know the Kings are a jump shooting team. Which is exactly what Stojakovic needs less to compliment him... other shooters. If you take Steve Nash for example,(love the guy's game and a proud fellow canadian) but he is in a PERFECT situation to make the most out of his basketball skills. In Dallas, he wasn't even a lock to make the all-star team every year but now he's MVP at 30? You give him 4 other finishers as teammates and Nash's assists and overall production are bound to increase dramatically.

What Peja needs to bring his game to a whole new level is a team that is made for him to thrive. Put him with a slasher at SG, a PG that is comitted to dishing(not saying that Bibby isnt) and a low post threat that cant be left in single coverage and he would feel right at home.

Imagine for a second that Peja would end up with a significant low post threat like KG, TD, JO or Shaq that could attract double teams and increase the number of open looks he gets in a game? It sure helped another shooter this season and ex-King Damon Jones. Just think what it could do to Peja.

This is just a case of one not fitting well with the other(anymore), neither is to blame...

Last edited:
FrenchCanadianKING Wow, pretty good debate going on here.... anyway

I don't think Peja's the problem and I don't think the other Kings are the problem. I just think one doesn't fit with the other anymore. We all know the Kings are a jump shooting team. Which is exactly what Stojakovic needs less to compliment him... other shooters. If you take Steve Nash for example,(love the guy's game and a proud fellow canadian) but he is in a PERFECT situation to make the most out of his basketball skills. In Dallas, he wasn't even a lock to make the all-star team every year but now he's MVP at 30? You give him 4 other athletes that can stroke it as teammates and Nash's assists and overall production are bound to increase dramatically.

What Peja needs to bring his game to a whole new level is a team that is made for him to thrive. Put him with a slasher at SG, a PG that is comitted to dishing(not saying that Bibby isnt) and a low post threat and he would feel right at home.
Imagine for a second that Peja would end up with a significant low post threat like KG, TD, JO or Shaq that could attract double teams and increase the number of open looks he gets in a game? It sure helped another shooter this season and ex-King Damon Jones. Just think what it could do to Peja.
your kiddin right?

This is just a case of one not fitting well with the other(anymore), neither is to blame...

peja is a jumpshooter nothing more nothing less. he moves around and tries to create space, but people are starting to figure him out. years against fox, the year against hassel. peja thrives when the opposing team does not have a defensive stopper. he is worhless. bottom line. he's good in the regular season. 22-24 points per game and around 6 rebounds a game. he can't be relied on to make good things happen in the postseaon; that's the only thing that matters and seperates him from mike bibby.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
nbrans said:
Look, I never said no one could criticize Peja, but there's a point at which it gets excessive, and I think there have been some posts lately that cross that line...
Cross the line? nbrans, you haven't even seen the line; when people begin registering to this message board with screen names like Peja_is_CANCER, then you can begin to make the argument that critics might be crossing the line.

tyrant said:
your kiddin right?

peja is a jumpshooter nothing more nothing less. he moves around and tries to create space, but people are starting to figure him out. years against fox, the year against hassel. peja thrives when the opposing team does not have a defensive stopper. he is worthless. bottom line. he's good in the regular season. 22-24 points per game and around 6 rebounds a game. he can't be relied on to make good things happen in the postseaon; that's the only thing that matters and seperates him from mike bibby.
your kidding right?

worthless? isn't worth a thing? sure he's got flaws, and as die hard kings fans I think we all know what they are, but worthless is a huge slap in the face to a pretty good ball player... how is having the world's best shooter not worth a thing?
Is he soft, one dimensional, predictable, inconsistant, exhausted from the grueling NBA schedule+ his European commitments.... yup!

but worthless? worthless= trading him for a second rounder would be a steal for us, according to you...

besides that you made some pretty good points, i don't necessarely agree with all of them but they were pretty good..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
FrenchCanadianKING said:
I don't think Peja's the problem and I don't think the other Kings are the problem. I just think one doesn't fit with the other anymore...

This could well be the whole crux of the matter. Teams change, players change.

---------------------------------

nbrans - Let's put it this way. You've just started watching a sitcom. It's in it's fifth year. Your impressions of the characters are going to be based on what you've seen so far. They're neither right nor wrong, but they are based on limited knowledge because you haven't seen the first four years. Kingsfans.com is like that sitcom. If you're going to jump into a situation like that you have to be willing to accept that you're at a disadvantage. You cannot assume you know the rest of the story.

This isn't over the line. If it was, it would be dealt with.

------------------------------------------

KP - What's wrong with the board? Nothing. It's TDOS. Our team is at a crossroads; we don't know what's going to happen; we're not at all happy with what's happened recently; and there's little else to do but snipe at each other.

Plus, it's hot out.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
nbrans said:
It's also good to know that "the line" when criticizing players is comparing them with deadly diseases.
He was referring to someone who registered as WebberISCancer a couple of years ago.

Just something else you couldn't know because you haven't been here...

Instead of constantly fighting with those of us who HAVE been around, why not simply accept there are some things you aren't going to understand?

Sorry, but this thread is no longer of any positive benefit to the board. I'm closing it before people get even snippier at each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.