Bibby's Defense

Like many, I've been quick to bash Mike Bibby's defense. There's been a lot of talk and inference on this board about it. Every someone blows by him off the dribble, I cringe.

But it seems to me that his defensive weakness is magnified by the greater team's woes on defense. If the team had a true, capable, defensive front line the PG's weak defense would not be such an issue. Bibby gets beat, and too often a layup results. Well, part of that is Bibby's issue to be sure. (The funny thing is, I think he really CAN play pretty good on-ball defense - I've seen it. He's just not consistent) Our weak middle, especially Brad, contributes to the overall effect of the breakdowns that start with Bibby. It's a matter of team v. individual dynamics.

I think Bibby would be thought of as less of a defensive weakness within a different supporting cast.

Ya, BEAT LA. I'll be there! ;)

Wuster said:
I think Bibby would be thought of as less of a defensive weakness within a different supporting cast.
well duh. any team that plays even a modicum of defense could help cover up for mike bibby's defensive weaknesses. ;)

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Padrino has hit this nail on the head. Brad is slow of foot and rarely gets over to help someone going in for layup. Peja same way. KT not as bad but still not very good.

Skinner on the other hand has an affinity for the middle and is the best defensive big guy on the Kings.

Cisco is good on defense but usually plays the 3 and is out of position guarding the other teams 3-pt shooter.

It is up to the 5 and 4 spots to "own" the middle and keep any and all drivers out.

So everyone is kinda right, Bibby is weak/bad on defense and it is compounded and multiplied by even worse front line defensive weaknesses.

My argument for the 100th time is to get Skinner in there for 30+ minutes for awhile to not only keep others out but maybe start some fast breaks, you know that grab a rebound and run down the court action the Kings used to do....... arrrrr........mmmmmm

Padrino said:
well duh. any team that plays even a modicum of defense could help cover up for mike bibby's defensive weaknesses. ;)
And the Kings don't, at least consistently. So, I blame Bibby for not improving his game to be a consistent defender, the team for not being consistent overall, and the coaching staff for not driving the importance of it into the team (like Carlisle does in Indiana, for example).

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I actually think that Mike is playing better individual defense than I have seen in a long long time from him.

On the other hand Brad is playing worse defense than I have seen from him in a long long time too, so in a way it balances us out a little bit.

If we had a guy like Skinner protecting the basket I think we wouldn't have much of a gripe about Bibby's defense. All players have weaknesses to their game. The idea is to field a team with the right components that offset those weaknesses. Bibby does a lot of great things but is on the court with a bunch of guys that can't cover his butt.

I remember Tank saying before one of the games that when he played with Reggie Miller, they all knew he wasn't a lockdown defender so it was the other guys' job to protect him because all of the good things he did do.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, I;ve mentioned before that we've beena very good defensive team in the past with Mike Bibby as the PG. Therefore clearly he is NOT making us a bad defensive team by himself. You can be a very good defensive tema wiht Mike Bibby at PG. But its obiously not because of him, and if you don't have the defensive personnel to cover for him, he definitely becomes PART of the problem.

Mike is capable of being on a good defensive team. This is a fact. We've seen it before, in 2002-2003 under Adelman, and during the international competition in Indy in 2002, I think, under Larry Brown.

It's also a fact that point guards, and guards in general, can "cheat" a little more on D if they know they have a good defensive front line in behind them. I agree with what STK said above. Edit: and Brick, who snuck in there right before my post.

Bricklayer said:
Well, I;ve mentioned before that we've beena very good defensive team in the past with Mike Bibby as the PG. Therefore clearly he is NOT making us a bad defensive team by himself. You can be a very good defensive tema wiht Mike Bibby at PG. But its obiously not because of him, and if you don't have the defensive personnel to cover for him, he definitely becomes PART of the problem.
I think he does because when the PG gets past Bibby around teh 3 point mark, the PG will create with an open player. Bibby needs to try o guard teh PG and not get past by. Thats what hhurts teh Kings. Always trying to bail Bibby.