Best moments...

I'm in a little fight with a spurs fan and a laker fan where we're showing highlights of our team over their team. I've showed the spurs fan the Kevin Martin buzzer beater and the Gary Neal poster. To the Laker fan, I showed the spin move around Artest. What are some of the best moments against those two teams that I can show?

I'm in a little fight with a spurs fan and a laker fan where we're showing highlights of our team over their team. I've showed the spurs fan the Kevin Martin buzzer beater and the Gary Neal poster. To the Laker fan, I showed the spin move around Artest. What are some of the best moments against those two teams that I can show?
As for Kings - Spurs: Kevin Martin buzzer beater HANDS DOWN. I remember being at that game. And I remember not knowing what just took place, I was so caught up in the moment that I did not realize a young and poised Kevin Martin just made an unbelievable play to win the game.

As for Kings - Lakers: 2002 Western Conference Finals Game 5. Mike Bibby. Need I say more???? I was there that night as well. I remember my voice being gone for quite a while after the game was done...too bad we weren't given another opportunity to fill the seats of Arco Arena/PBP again until the next season...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You really wanna go there? Pages and pages could be posted to counter these few...
Perhaps. But, they wouldn't be posted here... :p

I know you guys have a bridge, or whatever, that you congregate under; I'm sure that RKDfan's "friend" could find his counter examples there, should he be so inclined.

Or, did you, perhaps, intend to have logged on to LG this morning, and took a wrong turn at Albuquerque? ;)

As for Kings - Lakers: 2002 Western Conference Finals Game 5. Mike Bibby. Need I say more???? I was there that night as well. I remember my voice being gone for quite a while after the game was done...too bad we weren't given another opportunity to fill the seats of Arco Arena/PBP again until the next season...
I wouldn't go there... too many ways they can come back. Stick with the Doug Christie - Rick Fox punch of you want to go back to those days.

I wouldn't go there... too many ways they can come back. Stick with the Doug Christie - Rick Fox punch of you want to go back to those days.
We were asked to share some memories from Kings-Lakers and Kings-Spurs series, and, as a fan of the team since the late 90's, the Mike Bibby 2002 WCF Game 5 shot almost always comes to mind when the topic is discussed...arguably the best memory from any Kings - Lakers game EVER...the DC - RP punch was not a memory, it was an unfortunate incident...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We were asked to share some memories from Kings-Lakers and Kings-Spurs series, and, as a fan of the team since the late 90's, the Mike Bibby 2002 WCF Game 5 shot almost always comes to mind when the topic is discussed...arguably the best memory from any Kings - Lakers game EVER...the DC - RP punch was not a memory, it was an unfortunate incident...
Once you've been here a while, you'll understand that for many of us there's just not much more to be said about the 2002 WCF that hasn't already been said, resaid, quoted, requoted, debated, argued, dissected, etc. Having said that, I have to disagree vehemently about Doug Christie's punch to Rich Fox's jaw. It was and is a cherished memory, one of the few times the Laker pretty boy didn't get away with something. Unfortunate incident? Maybe if your name is Rick Fox. Otherwise, it'll bring a smile to my face every single time.

Once you've been here a while, you'll understand that for many of us there's just not much more to be said about the 2002 WCF that hasn't already been said, resaid, quoted, requoted, debated, argued, dissected, etc. Having said that, I have to disagree vehemently about Doug Christie's punch to Rich Fox's jaw. It was and is a cherished memory, one of the few times the Laker pretty boy didn't get away with something. Unfortunate incident? Maybe if your name is Rick Fox. Otherwise, it'll bring a smile to my face every single time.
I respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding the DC punch. But that is because I honestly believe physical altercations to the point of throwing punches and shoving other players do not have a place in the game. Preseason game or Regular season game, it really does not matter, as it is viewed as a fight by the league office, and that brings upon a black cloud above all involved...

Regarding the 2002 WCF, I agree with you, but I still consider that shot to be the greatest moment since I became a die hard Kings fan...

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding the DC punch. But that is because I honestly believe physical altercations to the point of throwing punches and shoving other players do not have a place in the game. Preseason game or Regular season game, it really does not matter, as it is viewed as a fight by the league office, and that brings upon a black cloud above all involved...

Regarding the 2002 WCF, I agree with you, but I still consider that shot to be the greatest moment since I became a die hard Kings fan...
that and what you say about the punch severely contradict each other.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't advocate violence. But there are times in life when its necessary. Lets just say that I've had my share of those moments. Personally, I don't like bullys. I didn't like them when I was on the recieving end, and I don't like them today. And, sometimes its just not the right thing, to walk away. To paraphrase an old quote. "Evil succeeds when good men do nothing". So I suspose that we could debate eternally the right or wrong of Christie's actions. But to me, and to many Kings fans, it was an unmovable line drawn in the sand. It was a small step for the NBA, but a giant step for Kings fans. Sorry Neil!

Rick Fox was being a bully. To many, he represented the entire Laker team. And Doug Christie's first strike, said enough is enough. He invaded Christie's space without an invitation, and Christie defended himself. Its OK to disagree with Christie's method. We all have our own moral concience that guides us. But personally, I let out a big cheer. As Jimmy Stewart said as the fur trapper in "How the West was Won", "Coming face to face with you, is like coming face to face with a grizzley bear on a narrow ledge, there's no ignoring the situation".

I don't advocate violence. But there are times in life when its necessary. Lets just say that I've had my share of those moments. Personally, I don't like bullys. I didn't like them when I was on the recieving end, and I don't like them today. And, sometimes its just not the right thing, to walk away. To paraphrase an old quote. "Evil succeeds when good men do nothing". So I suspose that we could debate eternally the right or wrong of Christie's actions. But to me, and to many Kings fans, it was an unmovable line drawn in the sand. It was a small step for the NBA, but a giant step for Kings fans. Sorry Neil!

Rick Fox was being a bully. To many, he represented the entire Laker team. And Doug Christie's first strike, said enough is enough. He invaded Christie's space without an invitation, and Christie defended himself. Its OK to disagree with Christie's method. We all have our own moral concience that guides us. But personally, I let out a big cheer. As Jimmy Stewart said as the fur trapper in "How the West was Won", "Coming face to face with you, is like coming face to face with a grizzley bear on a narrow ledge, there's no ignoring the situation".
If your opinions were to be true, then we should have physical confrontations on a nightly basis in the NBA, as players invade their opponent's space ALL THE TIME. But, do we see confrontations on a nightly basis? If this were the National Football League, I'd be a little less neutral than I currently am, but this is the NBA, where physicality to the extent of throwing punches has NO ROOM on the hardwood floor...

To me, the punch was important because it was a validation that the rivalry there was real.

NBA players are often accused of being mercenaries that don't really care about winning or losing. Christie socking Fox was a demonstration that in this instance, there was actual bad blood, and these teams really didn't like each other. The incident made it easier as a fan to justify empathizing with the players.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If your opinions were to be true, then we should have physical confrontations on a nightly basis in the NBA, as players invade their opponent's space ALL THE TIME. But, do we see confrontations on a nightly basis? If this were the National Football League, I'd be a little less neutral than I currently am, but this is the NBA, where physicality to the extent of throwing punches has NO ROOM on the hardwood floor...
I didn't post to debate the subject. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Its a personal decision thats dictated by the circumstance at the time. Each situation has to be judged individually. If, as Christie did, a player decides to take the matter into his own hands, then he has to pay the piper. Now I've never gone around looking for fights. But if someone bumps my chest with his, and get his face into my face, he'll only do it once. But I appreciate your opinion, and I certainly understand where your coming from.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
To me, the punch was important because it was a validation that the rivalry there was real.

NBA players are often accused of being mercenaries that don't really care about winning or losing. Christie socking Fox was a demonstration that in this instance, there was actual bad blood, and these teams really didn't like each other. The incident made it easier as a fan to justify empathizing with the players.
To be honest, I think things happen in the heat of battle that wouldn't happen ordinarily. Vlade and Fox are close friends, so I'm sure there's no dislike there. Two boxers who appear to hate one another in the ring, may be very good friends out of the ring. In general, a team thats at the top of your rival list, is also the team you have the most respect for. If not, then why would you want to beat them so badly. There could be just a tad of envy thrown in as well. For the most part, if there is bad blood, its witnin the confines of the court, and the rivalry. Most of these guys are friends off the court. Yes, there are exceptions of course!

I didn't post to debate the subject. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Its a personal decision thats dictated by the circumstance at the time. Each situation has to be judged individually. If, as Christie did, a player decides to take the matter into his own hands, then he has to pay the piper. Now I've never gone around looking for fights. But if someone bumps my chest with his, and get his face into my face, he'll only do it once. But I appreciate your opinion, and I certainly understand where your coming from.
My intentions were to not debate the subject as well. I respect your opinion, as I respect the opinion of others who have commented on this subject. The last thing I want to see happen is me roaming around this forum looking to start "debates" or "fights". With that being said, bajaden, I have known about this forum long before I joined, and I used to always come on here just to read the comments and check out the discussions because I felt this forum was the most knowledgeable one out there when it comes to the Kings. And I still feel that way. Along with many other individual members, I have always enjoyed your posts as I felt, and still feel, that they add value to the discussion at hand, rather than taking value away...with all of that being said, GO KINGS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the discussion between you and bajaden echoes what I would have said, so we can let that go.

We've had a thread about greatest moments before. For me personally, when I think of greatest moments I think of the game when Doug went out with an injury early in the game. Peja then got injured and Doug returned, playing an incredible game on an ankle that would later swell up to about the size of a very large grapefruit. Maybe that's more than a "moment," but it's one that I cannot think about without getting sentimental about all over again.

I think history will recognize Doug Christie even more than we have for everything he did for and gave to this franchise and the fans. He truly set the bar for players who may never be in the NBA Hall of Fame but have earned a spot in the heart of almost every fan. And, he was - with the exception of that one incident with Rick Fox - always professional and honorable. I think that's why I can view his punch maybe a little differently than some others.

You are totally right about one thing...

GO KINGS!!!

Last edited: