Ben McLemore: 6'5", SG, Kansas

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've seen McLemore play about 5 times now, and I'm very impressed with him. I checked the draft boards out of curiosity, and found him listed at 17 on one, and at 3 on the other. I suspect that if he continues to play the way he's been playing, he'll be a top 5 pick by seasons end. Technically, he's only 6'4.5" in height, taken from the Lebron James skills academy measurements. He also has a 6'7'" wingspan. He's a terrific athlete with tremendous hops, and excellent lateral quickness.

He has a beautiful looking jumpshot and is shooting 48.8% overall, and 40.8% from the three. According to early scouting reports coming from highschool, he's susposed to be passive at times. Frankly, I haven't seen it so far. I'd say he's a bit too unselfish at times, a little too willing to pass the ball, than shoot the ball. Too often he'll pass up an open shot. I'd say his biggest weakness as a SG is that his ballhandling doesn't match his athleticism and the rest of his game. I think part of that comes from having to play PF in highschool.

He seems to have good BBIQ, and an excellent feel for the game. So far, as a freshman he's averaging 30 MPG, 16.5 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 2.3 APG, and 1.2 SPG. He has all the tools to be an excellent defender. What I like most about McLemore, is that he impacts the game when he's on the floor. I've seen none of the disappearing that he was rumored to do. Self, the head coach, stated that McLemore is the most talented player he's ever coached. High praise from a coach that had Derron Williams as one of his players. Yeah, I know the Kings don't need another SG, but this is one talented kid. And when push comes to shove, you should always take the best player available.

[video=youtube_share;Hl2m_5niFNk]http://youtu.be/Hl2m_5niFNk[/video]

Last edited:
His handles are average at best, that's why he's an off-the-ball player now. Saw reports that he's working on it and made progress, but handling is one of those notoriously hard to improve skills, when you're in college already, especially a redshirt freshman, who had year to do nothing but train, so I'm cautious with my expectations. I would say he's a rich man's Klay Thompson, which is a really good player. He's a plus defender if he works hard. In the end a lot depends on what Kings' intentions are with Evans. If Tyreke is expected to return, I don't think McLemore works, as Evans needs a combo-guard, who provides some additional handling but still gets the back seat. Ben's pure shooting would work great though. McLemore needs PG-distributor to hit him in his spots. IT of last year's second half of the season if he can return from wherever he is would work well with McLemore.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
His handles are average at best, that's why he's an off-the-ball player now. Saw reports that he's working on it and made progress, but handling is one of those notoriously hard to improve skills, when you're in college already, especially a redshirt freshman, who had year to do nothing but train, so I'm cautious with my expectations. I would say he's a rich man's Klay Thompson, which is a really good player. He's a plus defender if he works hard. In the end a lot depends on what Kings' intentions are with Evans. If Tyreke is expected to return, I don't think McLemore works, as Evans needs a combo-guard, who provides some additional handling but still gets the back seat. Ben's pure shooting would work great though. McLemore needs PG-distributor to hit him in his spots. IT of last year's second half of the season if he can return from wherever he is would work well with McLemore.
This is not a criticism, but have you seen him play? I've read a few draft reports on him, and most are outdated. However, I agree that ballhandling is not his strong suit at the moment. He's not terrible, but he needs to improve in that area, and I totally disagree about impoving there. Its a skill, and any player thats willing to put in the time can become much better at ballhandling. Remember, this kid had to play PF in his highschool career, and that certainly didn't help him prepare for playing SG in the future. I might add, that I watched Matt Barnes play at Del Campo, and he played center there. He was a terribel ballhandler when he arrived at UCLA, and he's just fine today. So a player can improve if he works at it. Now rebounding, thats another story.

What I like about McLemore is his intensity, and his athleticism. Those two go together very well. I agree, that if we resign Tyreke, we probably don't need McLemore, unless we happen to move Thornton. In that case, McLemore could be an upgrade. He's a better athlete, and a much better defender. But hey, he's just one of many prospects out there, and there's a long way to go.

I saw 3 games. It might be his nature but all he does with the ball is either pass or shoot with occasional straight line dribble to the basket or in the open court. I read it as lack of trust in his dribbling.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I saw 3 games. It might be his nature but all he does with the ball is either pass or shoot with occasional straight line dribble to the basket or in the open court. I read it as lack of trust in his dribbling.
Hey, I'm not arguing against you here. I said that his weakness is his ballhandling. He's a freshman for gods sake. Most freshman are going to have weaknesses somewhere. Gilchirst was a bad outside shooter, but I'd love to have him on my team. Its necessary to look for the flaws, but you also have to look at the overall picture, and what the future could hold. Right now, I think this kid could be pretty good in the future. No guarantee's of course. If I went around and all I looked at were a players flaws, I wouldn't like anyone. All I'm trying to do is keep anyone thats interested up to date on future prospects. In my original post, I believe I mentioned that his biggest weakness was his ballhandling. Something that any well coordinated, athletic player can remedy if he wants to put in the work.

Didn't wrote McLEmore is useless. He's gonna be top-10, with some chance to rise top-5. I'm pretty sure that if you look for a backcourt mate for John Wall, Mclemore is a better fit than Brad Beal. Don't like Mclemore next to Evans, but if he's gone, and it's a real possibility no matter how much I hate it Mclemore will be good next to Thomas.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Didn't wrote McLEmore is useless. He's gonna be top-10, with some chance to rise top-5. I'm pretty sure that if you look for a backcourt mate for John Wall, Mclemore is a better fit than Brad Beal. Don't like Mclemore next to Evans, but if he's gone, and it's a real possibility no matter how much I hate it Mclemore will be good next to Thomas.
I completely agree! The only way McLemore becomes revelant to me, is if, for some reason Tyreke is traded. The jury is still out on Beal. I saw him play quite a bit. He had some very good games, and some other games where he was alright, but didn't make much of an impact. He's a good athlete, and I rated him a little higher when he measured out a little taller than advertized. He was a good defender in college, but you never know how that will translate to the NBA..

What I like about McLemore, athleticism aside, is that he seems to have a good feel for the game, and his BBIQ seems above average. Plus, so far this year he's been shooting lights out. We'll see if he can continue that.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've seen McLemore play about 5 times now, and I'm very impressed with him. I checked the draft boards out of curiosity, and found him listed at 17 on one, and at 3 on the other. I suspect that if he continues to play the way he's been playing, he'll be a top 5 pick by seasons end. Technically, he's only 6'4.5" in height, taken from the Lebron James skills academy measurements. He also has a 6'7'" wingspan. He's a terrific athlete with tremendous hops, and excellent lateral quickness.

He has a beautiful looking jumpshot and is shooting 48.8% overall, and 40.8% from the three. According to early scouting reports coming from highschool, he's susposed to be passive at times. Frankly, I haven't seen it so far. I'd say he's a bit too unselfish at times, a little too willing to pass the ball, than shoot the ball. Too often he'll pass up an open shot. I'd say his biggest weakness as a SG is that his ballhandling doesn't match his athleticism and the rest of his game. I think part of that comes from having to play PF in highschool.

He seems to have good BBIQ, and an excellent feel for the game. So far, as a freshman he's averaging 30 MPG, 16.5 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 2.3 APG, and 1.2 SPG. He has all the tools to be an excellent defender. What I like most about McLemore, is that he impacts the game when he's on the floor. I've seen none of the disappearing that he was rumored to do. Self, the head coach, stated that McLemore is the most talented player he's ever coached. High praise from a coach that had Derron Williams as one of his players. Yeah, I know the Kings don't need another SG, but this is one talented kid. And when push comes to shove, you should always take the best player available.

[video=youtube_share;Hl2m_5niFNk]http://youtu.be/Hl2m_5niFNk[/video]
Actually, I think the Kings do need another SG, as long as he has some size and can shoot outside. I'll check him out.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I checked out McLemore in the Temple game. I didn't see anything to wow me, especially from a ballandling point of view. The coach seems to want him as a spot up shooter or coming off screens. I'd like to see him against stronger competition where he has to take the game over a little in order to make an impact on the game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I checked out McLemore in the Temple game. I didn't see anything to wow me, especially from a ballandling point of view. The coach seems to want him as a spot up shooter or coming off screens. I'd like to see him against stronger competition where he has to take the game over a little in order to make an impact on the game.
If you read my comments about him, I mention that his biggest weakness is his ballhandling. Remember, he played PF in highschool, similiar to Matt Barnes who played center at Del Campo, or Gerald Wallace who played center and PF in college. None of those positions prepares them for the position they'll play in the NBA. Anyway, because of McLemore's ballhandling, they have him spot up whenever possible. He is a very good shooter, and a terrific athlete. As the coach Self said, McLemore may be the best player he's ever coached. As pointed out, he put up great numbers against Ohio St. And, I might add that Temple is a very good basketball team. They only have three losses this year, and two of them are against top ranked teams, Kansas, and Missouri, and both those teams barely beat Temple.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He dropped 22 on Ohio State. In Columbus. With ease. Guarded by Aaron Craft. You have to keep in mind that, unlike Shabazz, Mclemore plays on a very talented team so he doesn't have to take the game over.
I do understand. That's why I made the comment that I'd like to see him against stronger competition; that's when he has to take a game over.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If you read my comments about him, I mention that his biggest weakness is his ballhandling. Remember, he played PF in highschool, similiar to Matt Barnes who played center at Del Campo, or Gerald Wallace who played center and PF in college. None of those positions prepares them for the position they'll play in the NBA. Anyway, because of McLemore's ballhandling, they have him spot up whenever possible. He is a very good shooter, and a terrific athlete. As the coach Self said, McLemore may be the best player he's ever coached. As pointed out, he put up great numbers against Ohio St. And, I might add that Temple is a very good basketball team. They only have three losses this year, and two of them are against top ranked teams, Kansas, and Missouri, and both those teams barely beat Temple.
I don't recall how long Self has been there. The best I ever saw at Kansas was Paul Pierce. It's so funny, because even back then on bulletin boards guys were saying he wouldn't make it in the NBA.:D

It's very hard to take a game over if you are just a spot shooter. Can he penetrate and dish? Can he take his man one on one? Did he do those things against Craft in the Ohio State game, or was he the recipient mostly of kick-outs and that sort of thing when Craft wasn't covering him?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't recall how long Self has been there. The best I ever saw at Kansas was Paul Pierce. It's so funny, because even back then on bulletin boards guys were saying he wouldn't make it in the NBA.:D

It's very hard to take a game over if you are just a spot shooter. Can he penetrate and dish? Can he take his man one on one? Did he do those things against Craft in the Ohio State game, or was he the recipient mostly of kick-outs and that sort of thing when Craft wasn't covering him?
A little of yes, and a little of no. And yes, he did beat Craft on occasion, and thats not easy to do. McLemore is lightning quick, so if he gets a step on you, your beat. However, I'm going to go back to what I said about his ballhandling. At the moment, he's a sure straight to the basket ballhandler, but if he has to dribble in traffic, or do some fancy crossovers to create for himself, he can get into trouble at times. Doesn't mean he doesn't try, and I'm sure that Self would perfer at the moment, that he didn't try. As I said, thats his weakness, but its a weakness that can be corrected.

Lets not forget that he's a freshman, and I'm looking at the longrange potential of this kid. Just about every college player has a weakness somewhere, whether it be ballhandling, outside shooting, lack of above average athleticism etc. I find that your extreme athletes are always the one's that seem to lack certain skills, while a average athlete, like Doug McDermont, is a highly skilled player. I don't think an explanation is necessary as to why.

Aside from McLemore's results, there's just something about him that I like. I hate to say it, but its just a gut feeling. Similiar to the gut feelings I had about Faried, and Parsons, and many others. Strangely, I never had that gut feeling about Thomas Robinson. Not to say I didn't like him, or appreciate his potential. I just never walked away from any of his games thinking that I had to have this guy. Needless to say, that I did walk away from Kentucky games thinking that about Davis and Gilchrist.

Some players just have a knack for impacting a game, and I've seen McLemore do that on more than one occasion.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
As an aside, I'm backlogged at the moment. I have around 25 games recorded that I haven't watched yet. My problem is that when I do watch a game, it can take me up to 5 or 6 hours to watch it. I'm constantly going back and rewatching plays, or rewatching them in slow motion. I probably need to speed up the process a little. Once again, McAdoo is sliding down my board. Don't particularly like him right now. I might draft him below 20, but no higher.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well Kingster, I hope you watched last nights game between Kansas and Iowa St. Kansas pulled it out at the end, but McLemore was the star of the game. He had 33 pt's, 2 blocked shots, and 1 steal. He was 10 of 12 from the floor, and 6 of 6 from beyond the arc. He also went 7 of 7 from the free throw line. Jeff Withey, not to be out done, had 15 pts, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. He was 6 of 10 from the floor. McLemore seems to be getting better as the season goes on. Right now, I'd say he's a top 5 pick if the draft were done today.. Long way to go, but if he performs like this come touney time, some GM's are going to have some tough decisions.

Watching Kansas and Baylor now, and McLemore is just so smooth. He's a very smart player, he doesn't force anything and plays within the flow of the game. Very active, very good athlete, doesn't seem one dimensional. And his jumper is pretty much picture perfect (similar to Ray Allen's, which the commentators just mentioned, but it's an accurate statement). Only my second time seeing him but you can tell he's going to be a very good player. It's almost a shame we don't need a SG, but if he keeps playing like this, some team is going to get a very good player, and possibly a star.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Watching Kansas and Baylor now, and McLemore is just so smooth. He's a very smart player, he doesn't force anything and plays within the flow of the game. Very active, very good athlete, doesn't seem one dimensional. And his jumper is pretty much picture perfect (similar to Ray Allen's, which the commentators just mentioned, but it's an accurate statement). Only my second time seeing him but you can tell he's going to be a very good player. It's almost a shame we don't need a SG, but if he keeps playing like this, some team is going to get a very good player, and possibly a star.
I don't want to jump out on a limb, but right now, he has star written all over him. Some players carry themselves in a way that just says who they are. McLemore is that way. He just emits confidence, but not in a cocky way. This kid has a chance to be special. He's also very chrismatic, which doesn't hurt. He has the Webber smile.

I don't want to jump out on a limb, but right now, he has star written all over him. Some players carry themselves in a way that just says who they are. McLemore is that way. He just emits confidence, but not in a cocky way. This kid has a chance to be special. He's also very chrismatic, which doesn't hurt. He has the Webber smile.

I tend to agree. He has the confidence and intelligence that stars have (and the charisma as you mentioned). The only thing I'd like to see more of is him attacking off the dribble. He's so unselfish that it's almost a fault, because it's clear that he's usually the best player on the floor. I'd like him to be more forceful with the ball in his hands, but maybe this will change as time goes on. It may just be a case of Self not asking that of him.

EDIT: Just got done watching the 2nd half of that Kansas/Baylor game. It's so effortless to McLemore. Don't see any way he's not a top 5 pick if he keeps playing well. I'd take him over Goodwin and I'd take him even over Shabazz, who although is good, looks one dimensional to me.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I tend to agree. He has the confidence and intelligence that stars have (and the charisma as you mentioned). The only thing I'd like to see more of is him attacking off the dribble. He's so unselfish that it's almost a fault, because it's clear that he's usually the best player on the floor. I'd like him to be more forceful with the ball in his hands, but maybe this will change as time goes on. It may just be a case of Self not asking that of him.
I think part of it is that his ballhandling is his biggest weakness. I think as his ballhandling improves, you'll see him attack the basket more, and create off the dribble more. At least he's knows what his strengths are, and he's sticking to them. I'll be honest, I thought this would be a down year for Kansas, but now I've changed my mind, and mostly because of McLemore. He has the potential to be a very good defender. Right now he looks like a top five pick. Maybe top three before its all over. Long way to go yet.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The thing to remember about McLemore is that he played PF all through High School, so his ball handling weakness is understandable. It'll improve.
I think if you read some of my earlier posts about McLemore, I point that out. As a matter of fact I used Matt Barnes, who went to Del Campo as an example. Barnes played center at Del Campo, which didn't exactly prepare him for playing SG or SF in the future. No, I have no worries about McLemore getting better.

I think if you read some of my earlier posts about McLemore, I point that out. As a matter of fact I used Matt Barnes, who went to Del Campo as an example. Barnes played center at Del Campo, which didn't exactly prepare him for playing SG or SF in the future. No, I have no worries about McLemore getting better.
Barnes played center? I went and watched him play a few times and was disappointed because all he did was shoot threes. I thought he would be dunking on everyone!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Barnes played center? I went and watched him play a few times and was disappointed because all he did was shoot threes. I thought he would be dunking on everyone!
I knew Barnes personally. He went to school with my best friends son, Ryan O'Donnell, who was the PG on that team. I saw almost all his games, and I seldom saw him shoot a three. As a matter of fact, Ryan was the bigtime three point shooter. I'm not saying Barnes didn't take one now and then, but most of the time he was forced to play down in the post. Simply because he was the tallest player on the team.

Last year he did nothing but practice and worked on his game. His handles are passable but, I doubt, he will ever be an impressive ballhandler.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Last year he did nothing but practice and worked on his game. His handles are passable but, I doubt, he will ever be an impressive ballhandler.
Look, its as simple as this. If he works on his handles, he'll get better. To think a 19 year old player can't get better is ridiculous. Your not born a ballhandler, you become one. Now if a player has physcial limitations, like poor hand/eye coordination, or poor reflexes, or just flat out isn't a good athlete, then yes, I doubt he'll get much better, but even he will get better if he practices enough. So I can't guarantee anyone that McLemore will one day be an impressive ballhandler, but I can't say he won't either. I mean you say you doubt it. Based on what? Percentages? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but when people make definitive statements about young players with nothing to base it on, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Ball-handling really isn't as difficult to improve upon as people make out, either. If you put the work in, you will see results. Two balls at the same time, loads of different drills, right coaching etc.. Honestly, I doubt that many players work on it that seriously. The great ones do. I mean, he's not going to turn into Jason Williams in the ball-handling department, but he can improve it a lot. James Harden was a below average ball-handler in college. Average at best. And his handling has improved to the point where it's probably one of his strengths and helps him with his craftiness.