Bee: Tough times hurting Bibby

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/121545.html

Tough times hurting Bibby

The Kings veteran bristles at those who say his best days could be behind him.

By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PST Saturday, February 10, 2007

His disappointment has spread, from his own play this season, to the fans and now all the way to the organization with which he so badly wants to finish his career.

If the 28-year-old Mike Bibby could, he'd hold a seminar to remind the masses of what he's done in the past, to ask that they remember that one rough season doesn't mean his career's over.

As the Kings point guard waits for his fate with the Feb. 22 trading deadline looming, he knows as much as anyone that his services have been put on the leaguewide table. Among the trade conversations -- according to three sources close to the team who didn't want to be identified because they were not authorized to speak -- were talks between the Kings and Cleveland as to what sort of deal would benefit both sides. Bibby has made clear his preference to stay in Sacramento and wishes the Kings shared the sentiment.

"It just shows what type of people you're dealing with, really," said Bibby, who is shooting a career-low 39.0 percent overall and just 30.5 percent from three-point range. "I just have to wait it out, to see if they're going to turn their back on me or whatever."

The new element is the apparent lack of mystery about Bibby's intentions. His agent, David Falk, told The Bee this week that Bibby is unlikely to opt out of his contract after this season. Thus, any Kings fears of losing Bibby for nothing in return should be quelled -- which may have been Falk's motivation in tipping his hand at a time when agents typically go dark. A trade at this point would, to a certain extent, make it clear that the Kings simply wanted to head in another direction.

Or, of course, Bibby could go nowhere and begin the process of resolving bruised feelings while earning $13.5 million next season.

The realm of the unknown, then, squarely lies on the side of the Kings. Meanwhile, Bibby and his family and friends are no different than fans, hearing trade chatter with his name attached and wondering if they'll all be uprooted. They are unlikely to hear of the real possibilities until something is close to happening, or perhaps even after it's done and the moving vans need to be called.

Bibby's contention, though, is that the faithful turned too fast. Even after the glory days with Chris Webber and Vlade Divac faded in the rearview mirror, Bibby led the team in scoring last season. He had to make major adjustments in the late playoff push, when the Kings' offense became post-heavy, while Ron Artest was being deified for the turnaround.

Entering this season, Kings director of player personnel Jerry Reynolds set what seemed to be an accurate tone when he predicted Bibby's finest season yet. Four months later, Bibby says he's become the scapegoat of sorts.

More than once, he has expressed displeasure with the occasional booing at Arco Arena, only to spark more ire from fans who say they have every right to be down on the current product. And now, it's the organization that Bibby says he doesn't understand.

"If (the Kings) are willing to give up on me after one bad shooting year, then that's the way they are," Bibby said. "I think I've had pretty good years before this one. The first 22 games (this season), I didn't shoot the ball too well because I had a messed-up hand. I was still out there trying to help the team, trying to do everything I can. To have one season where I shoot (poorly) ... and have everybody turn on me like that, it's kind of frustrating."

Bibby's first possible out is an early termination option for this offseason, but it's not his last option. He also has a player option after the 2007-08 season, at which time he would have to choose to seek a new deal in free agency or earn $14.5 million in the final season of his contract.

"You never want to leave a good situation," Bibby said. "I think this is a good situation for me and my family, being here. You always want to retire in a place you feel comfortable. But like I said, it's not really up to me. We'll see how it plays out."

I know Bibby's having a poor season and I know that maybe a trade has to happen. If it does, I will be sad, though.

It would be nice to have a member of the glory days actually finish out his career here. I'm touched that Bibby has, not for the first time this season, come out and said how much he wants to stay here.

I know that's being sentimental about a big business, but its how I feel.:eek:

I know Bibby's having a poor season and I know that maybe a trade has to happen. If it does, I will be sad, though.

It would be nice to have a member of the glory days actually finish out his career here. I'm touched that Bibby has, not for the first time this season, come out and said how much he wants to stay here.

I know that's being sentimental about a big business, but its how I feel.:eek:
Sentimental or not...I agree wholeheartedly.

He needs to realise it's a business, if he gets traded he's the type to hold a grudge and will hate the kings organization because he thinks they turned their back, that's bs.

Fact is they will trade you and others if they decide to rebuild and start over, it won't be just you leaving....thankfully...hopfully!

i agree, it won't be about him personally or his bad year, it would just be one part of a larger process but this is generally how players are, they take it so personally.

It kinda sucks that Mike may be dealt, but oh well that's the business I guess. It would probably give him another shot a ring though, which he doesn't have right now.

He needs to realise it's a business, if he gets traded he's the type to hold a grudge and will hate the kings organization because he thinks they turned their back, that's bs.

Fact is they will trade you and others if they decide to rebuild and start over, it won't be just you leaving....thankfully...hopfully!
If anybody realizes its a business, its gotta be Bibby. He watched his teammates and good friends all get traded away.

Altho, the one things I would hope for is that he could go to a contender, where he might be revitalized and could be the piece that helps them get there. Just like I hope the same thing for Webber in Detroit.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
1) a Cleveland deal has long just made so much sense from the Cavs perspective it was completely obvious. Problem being that they simply do not have the right kind of contracts/assets to make it work for us one on one. We should, I would hope, be after Varejao and their #1, and could probably get them. But then you still have to match contracts, and the Cavs just don't have guys in the range who make sense for us.

2) Mike has said several times he does not want to go. Every player who has made that mistake has been traded shortly thereafter. We tolerate no loyalty in these parts.

3) Furthermore, depending on what we are looking at/for, it could make sense for BOTH sides. Mike may not want to move, but he's neither a superstar nor a cornerstone type player, and if the options are to hang around using up the remaining years of his prime in a long rebuilding process, or getting moves to go help LeBron try to chase a title, well...

4) And Mike, the "sort of people you are dealing with" are the sort who many not even give you a call if something happens. Its the NBA, its a business, and you of all people shouldn't have any illusions about the Kings being any different. Worse maybe, as its just one scapegoat after another around here beause of delusionally out of whack expectations.

5) "Entering this season, Kings director of player personnel Jerry Reynolds set what seemed to be an accurate tone when he predicted Bibby's finest season yet." Sam, you just admitted to thinking Jerry Reynolds had an accurate read on Mike Bibby. What's Marty up to anymore?

"It just shows what type of people you're dealing with, really," said Bibby, who is shooting a career-low 39.0 percent overall and just 30.5 percent from three-point range. "I just have to wait it out, to see if they're going to turn their back on me or whatever."
Bah. I like Mike, but statement like this irk me. Wouldn't he have turned his back on us and opted out of his contract had he been having a better year?

And how can you say someone who gave you a huge contract and is continuing to pay you (and you'll continue to get paid that contract if you're traded) is turning their back on you?

I think he would hold a grudge against the Kings...

at first if they did trade him becasue I believe he does truly want to stay here. I think though he would get over his hurt feelings in time. I personally would love a Bibby and Kenny Thomas deal to Cleveland for say Varajeo,Daniel Gibson, and a 1st round pick. I don't know if the contracts all work out, but that is something I would like to see happen. We could than start Rahim and have a good hustle rebound guy like Varejo backing him up and than although young start Gibson at the point and Price or Salmons backing him up.

you need to understand its all business Mike. Im sure you dont complain about your $13mil paycheck each year.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
1) a Cleveland deal has long just made so much sense from the Cavs perspective it was completely obvious. Problem being that they simply do not have the right kind of contracts/assets to make it work for us one on one. We should, I would hope, be after Varejao and their #1, and could probably get them. But then you still have to match contracts, and the Cavs just don't have guys in the range who make sense for us.
Yes, it does make a lot of sense from Cleveland's viewpoint. I also would like Varejao and their #1. Assuming that what you say on the contracts is true, maybe there's a 3-way deal out there?:)

I have some sentimental attachment to Bibby because of his longevity as a King, but I've seen enough of him to believe that he's not a great guy to have on your team to lead the young guys. To me, he's always had this attitude toward younger players that they had to *prove* something to him before he passed them the ball. I'd much rather see a player that was willing to pass the ball to an open teamate regardless of what his name and age was. It makes it easier for the younger player to have confidence in himself if a vet shows onfidence in him. And, I've seen him be inattentive the coach (both Adelman & Musselman) too often. He's just not a great team guy. On the other hand, if you put him on the court with 4 athletic veteran players who could make up for his defensive deficiencies and a team with a low-post game, he could shine.

Bah. I like Mike, but statement like this irk me. Wouldn't he have turned his back on us and opted out of his contract had he been having a better year?

And how can you say someone who gave you a huge contract and is continuing to pay you (and you'll continue to get paid that contract if you're traded) is turning their back on you?
yea, i always find it funny when players go into their "i'ved been wronged" mode when in a blink of the eye if they thought they'd make more money they'd opt out, i guess the standards don't apply to them. why doesn't he opt out after this year and sign for less money if he loves this place so much?

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I just want to make a couple of comments about human nature.

If you were in a job that you liked (in a place that you liked) and management came and said to you, "you know this is just a business, and we want to go a different direction (without you)," I would be willing to bet you would still be disappointed and have some hurt feelings. Why? Well, you may think that you are the one that should lead the team into a different direction. You love the place, and business, or no, you always hope they love what you give them too.

I don't think what Bibby feels is unordinary at all. That's why the comments about Bibby needing to realize that it is just a business make little sense to me.

piksi

Hall of Famer

If you were in a job that you liked (in a place that you liked) and management came and said to you, "you know this is just a business, and we want to go a different direction (without you)," I would be willing to bet you would still be disappointed and have some hurt feelings. Why? Well, you may think that you are the one that should lead the team into a different direction. You love the place, and business, or no, you always hope they love what you give them too.

I don't think what Bibby feels is unordinary at all. That's why the comments about Bibby needing to realize that it is just a business make little sense to me.

sure but I someone comes along and offer one better working conditions (more money) - what happenes then. Is one going to say - no thanks I love it here too much - money is not everything. Or is one going to be a hypocrite ?

A

AriesMar27

i wouldnt mind some how getting tj ford and/or steve blake.... i wonder how much ford will be making next season?

God i cant stand Bibby....Can we please trade him already..... Sick of hearing him whine like a baby... Just shut up, play basketball, and play some defense for once... Then you wont be the "scapegoat"...

please, let's not act like the nba and normal jobs are THAT comparable. job security in the nba is never guarunteed, not even for the best of the best. that is the nature of THIS business and it's also a business where they get paid a ton of money and if they're good will more than likely have another job just waiting for them. i believe bibby would be hurt if he is traded but i think if he were in line for some money in free agency he would opt out and wouldn't give it a second thought. frankly, i think bibby just wants to have his cake and eat it too. if he can't get a better contract he wants to stay in sacramento where it's cushy for him.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Oh, please. You're making a lot of assumptions about Mike and his character that I personally think you have no basis to make.

It's real easy for some to sit back and make declarations about what this player should do, think, feel, etc. It's not your life and family being talked about like a piece of luggage. With VERY few exceptions every single player who has left here has not ended up hating the organization or holding a grudge.

Mike Bibby has been good for this franchise and the fans. Some of you are acting like he's nothing but detritus and that's unfair.

He's a King. He's expressed some hopes and emotions about wanting to remain a King for the rest of his career. I hope it comes to be. But if it doesn't, I certainly hope some of you who are so very quick to dump on him now won't act as though you deserve some kind of praise for the comments you're making right now.

GO KINGS!!

Entity

Hall of Famer
you guys may want to look at all the starting pg's in the league and realize exactly what you have with Bibby. He is by far not the worst defening pg and he is certainly not the best. He is however one of the best shooting pg's and has given us clutch shot after clutch shot throughout his career. Im not willing to throw that away for just anything and have no certainty at pg. I have heard Mo Williams mentioned alot I hope I wasn't the only one that saw his great decision making with 10 seconds left in overtime the other night before our game started. I'd rather have a great shooter like bibby take an aweful shot than an poor shooter take the same shot.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Bibby is one of the best shooting PG's in the league..At least before this season. But now with him in his slump its become more obvious, and more detrimental to the team, that he doesnt really bring much else to the table.

sure but I someone comes along and offer one better working conditions (more money) - what happenes then. Is one going to say - no thanks I love it here too much - money is not everything. Or is one going to be a hypocrite ?

I've done that before- Twice in fact. I turned down MUCH more money to stay where I was because I loved where I was and believed in what I was doing. Granted, it was not as much money as NBA players deal with, but the point is the same. Would Mike do the same, I do not know - nobody but he knows.

I agree with what he said. He has had one bad season and 1 (maybe 2) below average playoffs, however; he has carried this team on his own before. He has played with everything for us. We talk all the time abot how players do not have loyality to teams anymore. Fans are the same now. I believe 6th had a good point. I agree with what she said. If I were in his position, I be a bit upset. I would not be shocked seeing haw they treated webb and handled the Peja trade, but I would still be upset.

Entity

Hall of Famer
you take away the ability to score and there really isn't much else to bring to the table. Sure a couple bench role players maybe. I mean you take Martin shooting and you got the same situation. Same with anybody for that matter. If Lebron only averaged 12 pts per game since coming in the league he wouldn't have all these commercials same with Jordan.. So saying his slump shows he brings nothing else could be said about anybody because that is what basketball is known for.

From the Akron Beacon-Journal:
(http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/sports/16565730.htm)
Rumor season is in full swing and will be for another three weeks until the trade deadline arrives. The Cavs are just as active as anyone in talks, and the probability of a deal for a guard is high, but... They don't own any picks in this year's draft, they don't have many spare young guys with big potential, and most of the players in their rotation are locked down with long-term contracts, which are undesirable this time of year. Just about every trade call the Cavs make or take includes a request for Anderson Varejao, whom the Cavs don't want to give up, especially for a guard.
Cleveland has a $2.1M trade exception, about $7M in expirings, and Larry Hughes' long contract that they want to trade. They may sweeten a deal with up to $3M cash.

Sac has a lot of guys who might be traded, but the one guy who is least likely to be traded is KMart, meaning that we want almost anything except for a SG, and Hughes is not a PG by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm sure that talks didn't last very long.

piksi

Hall of Famer
I've done that before- Twice in fact. I turned down MUCH more money to stay where I was because I loved where I was and believed in what I was doing. Granted, it was not as much money as NBA players deal with, but the point is the same. Would Mike do the same, I do not know - nobody but he knows.

I agree with what he said. He has had one bad season and 1 (maybe 2) below average playoffs, however; he has carried this team on his own before. He has played with everything for us. We talk all the time abot how players do not have loyality to teams anymore. Fans are the same now. I believe 6th had a good point. I agree with what she said. If I were in his position, I be a bit upset. I would not be shocked seeing haw they treated webb and handled the Peja trade, but I would still be upset.
respect

Oh, please. You're making a lot of assumptions about Mike and his character that I personally think you have no basis to make.

It's real easy for some to sit back and make declarations about what this player should do, think, feel, etc. It's not your life and family being talked about like a piece of luggage. With VERY few exceptions every single player who has left here has not ended up hating the organization or holding a grudge.

Mike Bibby has been good for this franchise and the fans. Some of you are acting like he's nothing but detritus and that's unfair.

He's a King. He's expressed some hopes and emotions about wanting to remain a King for the rest of his career. I hope it comes to be. But if it doesn't, I certainly hope some of you who are so very quick to dump on him now won't act as though you deserve some kind of praise for the comments you're making right now.

GO KINGS!!
i know you weren't directly responded to me, but for the record i like bibby and i really don't think any less of him because of this article even though i've kinda criticized him. i just think all nba players are pretty much like that, so i'm not going to hold it against him or single him out. i just don't think it's cool IF he starts ripping the org. and acting like they turned their back on him when he'd probably opt out in a blink of the eye if a better contract was out there.

I have been treated far worse by a long-time employer, and for a tiny fraction of the money. Mike's expectations of the world are a bit naive. He should have worked harder in the gym.