Bagley will start soon

gunks

Hall of Famer
I mean, star guard + star big was the blueprint for awhile there in the early 2000s. You had Kobe/Shaq, Wade/Shaq, Kobe/Pau (Bynum was also briefly an absolute stud), Parker/Duncan, Billups/Wallace(s) (ok, that last one is kinda a stretch, but they went all the way and I loved that Detroit team!)...

Then of course LeBron blew up as a GOAT contender and started to win rings Jordan style (with underrated help, but clearly the alpha).

And the Warriors changed everything by pairing all-time calibre shooters with a brilliant swiss army knife in Draymond (and then KD).

The league is cyclical. It just depends on the current crop of star talent. I think we can absolutely contend with a Fox/Bagley tandem if both those guys reach their potential.

The future Kings vs Mavs playoff battles will be a good time to revisit this topic! Might get pretty angsty around here, but then again it might not. I wanted Luka, but I have faith.

I don't think you can win in today's game with your best players being your bigs
Yes the warriors are winning today's NBA and their best is a either a pg or sf. But tomorrow's NBA will not be today's and to state 'warriors are great, pels not so. Wings are the only future' is a bit limited.

Edit: Two different conversations in this thread. Can you create a championship team around a big (I vote yes). Will Marvin be that big (unlikely for me). I do think he will be very good. But not Duncan level.

Last edited:
I don't think Joerger is blind to it at all. He's bringing him along slowly. We've been much better at developing our young talent since he's been our coach. I get that it's frustrating for fans, but I trust Joerger. Marvin's gonna be a beast, especially about three years from now.

That's a pretty inflammatory post, but I doubt it'll be called out by any mods, because they likely agree with it. Human psychology certainly is fascinating, but probably not for the reasons you imagine. It's possible to be a fan of both Bagley and Doncic without tearing the other down. The main problem with this forum at the moment is that anyone graciously deemed to be a "Doncic fanboy" is automatically labelled as a Bagley-hater. I've seen very little Bagley hate, most people can see that he's incredibly talented too. But then any criticism or analysis that's not positive is assumed to be for nefarious reasons.
I agree on your point with Joerger and his strategy to bring him along slowly.

And don’t get me wrong. I think Doncic is the best current prospect besides Zion. I also think Bagley is a very elite prospect that might fit our chemistry more for the pieces we have long term.

My post was out of frustration that Bagley will never be able to just be himself and not be tied to Doncic because of a very vocal part of the fan base.

This is how you ruin prospects. They listen. And if you think they should get tougher skin, you’re not paying attention to the realities of dealing with humans let alone teenagers.

And human psychology is fascinating exactly for the reasons I described. If you don’t see this distortion in how Bagley is perceived because of the existence of Doncic and how it is incredibly unproductive, then I don’t know what to tell you buddy

I agree on your point with Joerger and his strategy to bring him along slowly.

And don’t get me wrong. I think Doncic is the best current prospect besides Zion. I also think Bagley is a very elite prospect that might fit our chemistry more for the pieces we have long term.

My post was out of frustration that Bagley will never be able to just be himself and not be tied to Doncic because of a very vocal part of the fan base.

This is how you ruin prospects. They listen. And if you think they should get tougher skin, you’re not paying attention to the realities of dealing with humans let alone teenagers.

And human psychology is fascinating exactly for the reasons I described. If you don’t see this distortion in how Bagley is perceived because of the existence of Doncic and how it is incredibly unproductive, then I don’t know what to tell you buddy
You're absolutely right on the human aspect of the game.

It's also fascinating to see the emotional energy people put into defending Doncic. The need to have everyone submit to the idea that he is legendary right now and a generational talent. People still argue over Jordan's greatness or impact on the game. Bird vs. Magic. Kobe or Shaq. People are never going to have the exact same viewpoints, no matter what you do and you can't force your opinion on others. Only discuss them. The sensitivity when others don't elevate Doncic to God status is a bit overboard. It's tiresome to have to preface every discussion with "I really think Doncic is a great player, but...." just to keep the Lukastans from coming out and shouting you down and ruining the point you're trying to make.

I understand the concept of bringing someone along slowly, but I disagree that it is needed in Bagley's case. His game at this point in time is athletic based. He can walk in the door and be effective while still learning on the fly. Let him get out there and bang. It differs from Giles and Fox as they will be facilitators in the offense and the game is more technical for them.