Bagley progress and pending return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvin is pretty tricky. I think you have to make him play within our offense, but he can be an ISO ball stopper. Marvin really needs to learn to play without the ball like Holmes. Pick his open spots on the floor and get there. For a guy as athletic as he is, I don't think he moves well off the ball.

I know he's supposed to be our 2nd star alongside Fox, but he's not there yet. Kings have also been playing hot basketball and I don't think you would want to disrupt that just so Bagley can gt 15-20 shots up a game. The Kings are much better with Fox and Bagley on the team, but with them being absent, you're seeing a lot more cohesion with this team. Even when Buddy has off-nights, all of his shots are still good and flow within our offense. I'd rather Bagley put up 15-10 in a win rather than him put up 30-10 in a loss.
I don't disagree with the 15-10 in a win. However, I will disagree with the ISO thing in this sense. When Buddy has a big night, there is plenty of ISO on his part. We just don't mind because he's dropping 3s left and right. When Bogi has a big night, it's a bunch of ISO by him also. Especially at ends of games. If you've watched the last few games with CoJo as a starter, Buddy is actually handling the ball the majority of the time.

Very few guys can stop Bagley in the post. You can't punish a guy for being too good at something or ask him to play down to someone else's level. That's how you kill development.

If the team and fan base weren't so focused on the playoffs, the best course of action would be to let Bagley and Fox play free for a couple years putting up gawdy numbers, then fill in around them. The Dallas model.

Last edited:
I'm just hoping that he can stay healthy for the rest of the season before I worry about how he fits in with this team... I wonder how alone I am in my small expectations for Bags.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The thing is that I trust Walton to make it work more than I ever trusted Joerger.

Luke has already proven to be pretty adept at adjusting his system to the talent available (Dedmon high post adventures excluded) and I think he’d figure out a way to make a Bagley/Holmes lineup work.
And Walton has alluded to the "plan" that he and Vlade have. The plan is not to sacrifice the longer term for the shorter term. They want this team to not only get into the playoffs sometime in the future, but also succeed in the playoffs. Therefore, it makes sense for Walton to do some experimentation to find situations in which Bagley can thrive now, and with some extra work, to thrive longer term.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm just hoping that he can stay healthy for the rest of the season before I worry about how he fits in with this team... I wonder how alone I am in my small expectations for Bags.
He certainly seems to be made of glass. Hopefully if he bulks up he'll be less fragile.

I still have high expectations otherwise. In a Luka-less world, I'd be pretty happy with having him on the roster. He was looking studly at times last season. I'm also optimistic that Luke can coach him up on defense.

Couldn't get back soon enough! Although I'm sure it'll get ugly in here if he doesn't immediately contribute big numbers and/or losses start to pile up, as unfair as that might be, he is a number 2 pick.

But yeah, stay healthy Marv!

He certainly seems to be made of glass. Hopefully if he bulks up he'll be less fragile.

I still have high expectations otherwise. In a Luka-less world, I'd be pretty happy with having him on the roster. He was looking studly at times last season. I'm also optimistic that Luke can coach him up on defense.

Couldn't get back soon enough! Although I'm sure it'll get ugly in here if he doesn't immediately contribute big numbers and/or losses start to pile up, as unfair as that might be, he is a number 2 pick.

But yeah, stay healthy Marv!
Fractured thumb doesn't seem to fall under the evidence of "made of glass." It's an unfortunate break, but it's not like he is going to be regularly out because of broken fingers (at least I hope not).

Yeah, but he missed 20 games last season too.
I do wonder what “made of glass” really means. There are odds that on any one night, any one player can be injured through a freak accident. There are smaller odds that any one player can be injured through a freak accident two games in a row. If it happens two games in a row, does that make a person injury prone or just damn unlucky. And, does it really matter?

Giles is at a heightened injury risk. At this point Bagley seems more unlucky.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Mine have shriveled up a lot. I bet a few others have as well, but they’re not willing to admit it yet.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I do wonder what “made of glass” really means. There are odds that on any one night, any one player can be injured through a freak accident. There are smaller odds that any one player can be injured through a freak accident two games in a row. If it happens two games in a row, does that make a person injury prone or just damn unlucky. And, does it really matter?

Giles is at a heightened injury risk. At this point Bagley seems more unlucky.
I think that at this point we can agree on this. Having his hand broken by a 'roided out Ayton was certainly unlucky!

And @Livingthedream, I most definitely can "yeah but" a season where the kid missed 25% of the games due to various injuries. I wasn't talking about Ayton in that post.

But we shall see. I'll freely admit that it is too early to make calls on his health. Maybe he was/is unlucky. Maybe he's one of those players that starts his career injury prone, but then becomes less so as he fills out. It's kinda silly to act like it's all good though. He has missed a lot of games.

I'm rooting for him though! Here's to his health!

Last edited:
My expectations are still 2nd team All-NBA in his prime. Bagley is so freaking talented. This fanbase, man.
Bagley is talented. Too bad it’s 2019.
His ceiling is Chris Bosh.
A Good player and a third option on a playoff team.

He doesn’t have the size or skills of a Davis, KAT, or Jokic. Neither the defense of Gobert or Embiid.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: We have a thread dedicated to Luka Doncic. This isn't it. It's not going to become a second one. Posts viewed to be in that vein will be deleted.

Mine have shriveled up a lot. I bet a few others have as well, but they’re not willing to admit it yet.
You are probably the single most emotional personality on this board. Katy Perry sang a song about you. She said you're hot and you're cold, you're yes then you're no, you're up and you're down, you're in then you're out.

And that defines you as a fan.

I'm still really high on the Bagman. I think he's got plenty of room to grow. The injuries are however a concern. Even though they haven't been serious injuries, some players just have that injury bug where they're a magnet. I hope he's not one of them

Ok so reports a week ago said Bagley is expected to return in a week (AKA right around now) and would be re-evaluated upon their return to Sacramento after the road trip.

The next home game is against Denver on Saturday followed by the Bulls on Monday. I hope he's cleared for one of these games - maybe the Bulls on Monday to give him a couple more days and to ease him in against an easier opponent.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Ok so reports a week ago said Bagley is expected to return in a week (AKA right around now) and would be re-evaluated upon their return to Sacramento after the road trip.

The next home game is against Denver on Saturday followed by the Bulls on Monday. I hope he's cleared for one of these games - maybe the Bulls on Monday to give him a couple more days and to ease him in against an easier opponent.
Coach said he wants to see him in practice before he plays in a game so the Bulls' game makes sense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think you're both circling around the same point: Harrison Barnes is good at drawing fouls, whether it's in the post, the point, on the perimeter, etc. And we're lucky to have him.
I think some are overly concerned with how Bagley and Fox are going to fit in with this team when they get back healthy. I think Walton figures it's a great problem to have.

I think some are overly concerned with how Bagley and Fox are going to fit in with this team when they get back healthy. I think Walton figures it's a great problem to have.
Fox has sort of a bad habit of overplaying defensively - too aggressive - and garnering foul trouble. He needs to figure it out. Sounds like he won't be back for another couple weeks minimum....Bagley though may be back in a week, and it very much shores up the big-man rotation and likely help on scoring and rebounding immediately. I like the idea of putting him out there with Holmes. Will help rim interior defense and weak-side rebounding too. Unlike Dedmon, Bagley is a big upside inside and on jumpshooting. Dedmon has looked consistently poor in his shooting, although still better than Koufos was on offense by a solid margin.

The Kings improbable win over Nuggets was the best of this season - I had turned it off at half, and figured highly unlikely to be competitive, only to peek at the game late in the 4th with it close. You could make a case the Kings didn't deserve it, but they somehow pulled it out thanks in large part to Barnes.

One silver lining aspect of injuries is putting other players 8-11 on their toes for PT....now Walton can feel more comfortable pulling players with fouls as he gets 10 and 11 deep. They should be able to have a full complement with both returns.

Color me worried about what's going to happen when Bagley gets back. His defense is a huge concern. Especially in the pick and roll. I'm just hoping he's been learning from Holmes while watching on the bench because we need his offense but not at the cost of destroying the interior defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.