Bagley not in opening night rotation

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Can't wait for Marvin Sr. to go in on Luka the first time he doesn't pass Marvin the ball.

What position is that exactly?

I'm sure Dame would like nothing more than to play with MBIII lol

Sign me the hell up! (Sadly, unlike this dude, NBA execs actually have seen Bagley play)

Keldon for Bagley! Make it happen Monte!

MBIII's entire Kings tenure has been sad. Assuming the end is near - it could have - and should have been better than this. I don't think there are too many that can completely escape blame - from Walton who stuck him in a corner and benched him but not his equally defensively inept teammates, to the bad luck/ nature of injuries, to the many fans that hated him before he even played and frequently troll him on social media, to his family who seem impatient, immature, short sighted, and self obsessed.

I don't think it is fair to blame Monte (at least without knowing what deals were available). MBIII has had a window in which he could convince Monte or others he was worth it. And he didn't. Our loss, his loss. Let's move on.

I think I said it before - but credit to Living the dream for his/ her consistent willingness to support MBIII the Kings player.

MBIII's entire Kings tenure has been sad. Assuming the end is near - it could have - and should have been better than this. I don't think there are too many that can completely escape blame - from Walton who stuck him in a corner and benched him but not his equally defensively inept teammates, to the bad luck/ nature of injuries, to the many fans that hated him before he even played and frequently troll him on social media, to his family who seem impatient, immature, short sighted, and self obsessed.

I don't think it is fair to blame Monte (at least without knowing what deals were available). MBIII has had a window in which he could convince Monte or others he was worth it. And he didn't. Our loss, his loss. Let's move on.

I think I said it before - but credit to Living the dream for his/ her consistent willingness to support MBIII the Kings player.
For once in my life I don’t think it’s fair to blame Walton. I feel like they were doing everything they could to put him in position to succeed with the skill set he needed in the current nba. He was balancing trying to win with trying to transform a high usage player with the wrong skill set.

I have consistently wished him well and then he consistently rewards me for it with these things from his people.

IT WOULD BE SO EASY FOR HIM TO SUCCEED HERE. IT WOULD.

At least his/our best season was probably the rookie season and we didn't lose a top 5 pick to Philly the following year and Haliburton and Mitchell seem like better players than we'd ever get with Vlade drafting.

Maybe so, but I'm sure the first question after being told he's not in the rotation opening night, is to ask about plans going forward. If there was any indication that this was a one night or temporary situation, there would be no tweet.
I'm actually a bit surprised by this, and more than a bit confused. He's on the roster, right, and available? I can understand the coach telling him that he won't start, but not be in the rotation at all? Isn't that something that the coaches will usually decide during the game, or do they generally inform players they plan to play or otherwise?

Or is not on the roster for some reason?

ideally this means that Monte has informed Bagley and his agent that they sit him until they find a new home. Last seasons trade deadline pretty much sealed the deal for good with Monte shopping Marvin
I honestly don't see what advantage it gives us. Till this news, there was nothing to indicate that Bagley was causing any friction in the team, or creating a toxic environment, or had issues with any of the team mates. Sure, his value wasn't high, but now it is certainly lower, and if we completely sit him, it's only going to get worse.

Does sitting him out help the team otherwise, by taking the uncertainty away from the rest of the players and coaches? Perhaps. If so, it's probably okay to do so, but as I said, till this time, there was nothing to indicate any issues were simmering. Perhaps a difference in expectations between the two sides about his role and playing time, which resulted in this escalation by his side.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I honestly don't see what advantage it gives us. Till this news, there was nothing to indicate that Bagley was causing any friction in the team, or creating a toxic environment, or had issues with any of the team mates. Sure, his value wasn't high, but now it is certainly lower, and if we completely sit him, it's only going to get worse.

Does sitting him out help the team otherwise, by taking the uncertainty away from the rest of the players and coaches? Perhaps. If so, it's probably okay to do so, but as I said, till this time, there was nothing to indicate any issues were simmering. Perhaps a difference in expectations between the two sides about his role and playing time, which resulted in this escalation by his side.
I think it's simply time to move on and Monte agrees. Bagley needs a lot of work and the Kings aren't the team that have the patience to try to get the most out of him, it's time to start winning.

At any rate, this cleans up a lot of depth issues. Also, this likely was in the plan for most of the summer, with our insistence on trading and keeping TT.

Fox || Mitchell
Hali || Buddy
Harkless || TD
Barnes || Harkless
Holmes || TT || Len

Harkless and Barnes probably start together, but I think both guys end up taking a good portion of the minutes at the 4 now. With a little sprinkle of Metu and some biiig ball with 2 of the 3 C's on the court. Wouldn't surprise me now to see a majority of our minutes in the 3-guard LU and especially the closing LU.

I'm actually a bit surprised by this, and more than a bit confused. He's on the roster, right, and available? I can understand the coach telling him that he won't start, but not be in the rotation at all? Isn't that something that the coaches will usually decide during the game, or do they generally inform players they plan to play or otherwise?

Or is not on the roster for some reason?
Yes coaches will tell players if they are in the rotation. They didnt say he was going to be inactive, but he might be now.

Unfortunately his contract prevents us from just trading him for anything. So he either gets packaged in an eventual Buddy deal to make numbers work or we have to take back bad salary, which recomplicates things.

Bagley isn’t good next to Holmes and Holmes is a better player.

Bagley and Hield can’t be on the floor at same time because they aren’t good defenders. Hield is a better player.

The coach can’t count on Bagley’s ability and Tristan Thompson has beat him out for minutes.

Marvin still might develop into a good player - but he is not a winning player right now - and the coach made a basketball decision.

Unfortunately his contract prevents us from just trading him for anything. So he either gets packaged in an eventual Buddy deal to make numbers work or we have to take back bad salary, which recomplicates things.
I mean, doesn't anyone trading for him get that clause in his contract too? If he doesn't hit the 2000 minutes, his QO is 7 mil?

I mean, doesn't anyone trading for him get that clause in his contract too? If he doesn't hit the 2000 minutes, his QO is 7 mil?
He's 12 million right now though. That's a fair amount of salary to match. It looks like OKC might be under the cap though, but that's it. Would potentially be good for Bagley but given they are tanking they'd probably play him the 2k minutes and have to pay him as I'm sure he'd put up numbers there (if he can't then he's out of the league). Given how many firsts they have they could/should give us a lesser one or two even if we're talking picks likely in the 20s. I'd do that if they would.

Yes coaches will tell players if they are in the rotation. They didnt say he was going to be inactive, but he might be now.
Thanks. Didn't know that, and if so, bad form on his agent's part to go public.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but players and agents have been pushing teams around in recent past (probably even longer for all I know). As the Simmons situation shows, teams might be willing to hit back. Bagley and his agents have relatively little leverage, particularly if he wasn't in our plans, and we weren't getting any good offers for him. His going public likely hurts us a bit, but if we sit him long term, might hurt him more. Wonder if agents will lose some power over time if this persists, though unlikely, since teams will undercut each other.

oh he’s definitely gonna be inactive. I’d send his a** home. He doesn’t deserve the coaching/mentorship of DC and Rico Hines. That clown thinks doing the bare minimum of being pleasant, showing up to practice, and not complaining was gonna earn him a starting role prolly. Bih please

This isn't personal. I know the Kings history way more than I know Bagley's, and there is nothing in the Kings history to make me think they are handling players and their agents correctly..
They have a terrible history of evaluating and drafting players. But what do you know of the KINGS history to suggest they aren’t handling players correctly otherwise?

The only players we ever hear complaining are those that feel slighted because they aren’t starting. Yet have obvious limitations and/or injury history that are putting them in position of not starting. Buddy and Bagley.

Who else of note have we heard complain about mishandling of players? DeMarcus Cousins when he didn’t like George Karl or how he was traded.

Outside of that, where’s the long-standing history of mishandling of players? I don’t want to hear about sour grapes players after they left. Who effing cares about that. I’m talking about while they were with the team.

The main problem has been finding a GM post Geoff Petrie that can identify talent and build a roster. Judging by the last couple drafts, maybe our current GM has solved that problem.

Next problem down the list is finding a HC that has a clue…..

Last edited:
They have a terrible history of evaluating and drafting players. But what do you know of the KINGS history to suggest they aren’t handling players correctly otherwise?

The only players we ever hear complaining are those that feel slighted because they aren’t starting. Yet have obvious limitations and/or injury history that are putting them in position of not starting. Buddy and Bagley.

Who else of note have we heard complain about mishandling of players? DeMarcus Cousins when he didn’t like George Karl or how he was traded.

Outside of that, where’s the long-standing history of mishandling of players?

The main problem has been finding a GM post Geoff Petrie that can identify talent and build a roster.
yeah the FO has been extremely~~~ nice and easy going to their players. There is literally no pressure in Sac. All you had to do was show up and go to the gym to get massive praise. Also we always overpay, who doesn’t like more money?

I think it’s odd as well, and frankly a little shady. When I saw all those caveats as it pertained to a QA next year, had a feeling something like this might happen.
i may have misread this. So the team did not come out publicly and say he was out of the rotation, correct? That kind of changes my feelings if that’s not what happened

I'm really curious how the conversation went with Luke and Marv. Did he inform him he has no plans to play him moving forward? Seems unlikely. Who has a wing with baggage that needs a fresh start?

At this point, I only see real option for Bagley to have any kind of future with the Kings. He needs to either call out his agent for this bonehead move publicly or fire him. That would allow him to save face and move forward with the season.

yeah the FO has been extremely~~~ nice and easy going to their players. There is literally no pressure in Sac. All you had to do was show up and go to the gym to get massive praise. Also we always overpay, who doesn’t like more money?
Ya'll are something else. Talking about how nice the fans are as you dance on a mans grave. LOL.

Ya'll are something else. Talking about how nice the fans are as you dance on a mans grave. LOL.
I've maintained all along if he had his dad (and now agent) STFU and said one or two nice things about the city he'd be beloved. The problem is his team has entitlement syndrome. He's a guy who did/said all the right things to get picked at 2 but since then it's been entitlement after entitlement. Does not help that the big stars in the playoffs go get surgery after winning titles but he is out for weeks at a time every time he breaks a nail. It's why a guy like Holmes is beloved and supplants him after 10 games and Fox, Haliburton (and probably already DM) are untouchable to Sac fans.