Ask The Person Below

Status
Not open for further replies.
hoodie said:
JOE BISSET'S GRUB STEAK (one in Dayton, Ohio and one in Chicago)
The BEST steak you will EVER eat !!!!!!!!!

Why are some people racist?
because they were raised that way by their parents who were racist and so forth and so on. they're also racist from the original idea that white people are superior to black people and that black people were only 2/3's of a person.

is lebron james better than kobe bryant?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes. I used to be caretaker at an old lodge up here that was built on the property of one of the original miners way back when. I saw him twice - on the front porch of the lodge, which was built over the remains of his old cabin.

Next person, same question...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oops. Sorry, Prophetess.

I'll answer your question: "racist" can refer to black, white, yellow, brown, red, etc.

Now back to the other: Have you ever seen a ghost?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
6th said:
[(783-344) = 439] + [(92 x 70) = 6440] = 6879

How did I do?
I had to jump in on this one. You goofed. You made an error by bracketing something that had no brackets in the original question. When doing a problem of this sort, you work from left to right.

The answer is as follows:

783 - 344 = 439
439 + 92 = 531
531 x 70 = 37,170

You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
I had to jump in on this one. You goofed. You made an error by bracketing something that had no brackets in the original question. When doing a problem of this sort, you work from left to right.

The answer is as follows:

783 - 344 = 439
439 + 92 = 531
531 x 70 = 37,170

You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming.

Hmmm! But, what about the rule that you must perform any multiplication or division applications before you perform any addition or subtraction applications? That is why I applied the brackets, so I could see that the 72 x 90 would be performed 1st.

Since you can move them around in any order, it is same as saying:

70 x 92 + 783 - 344 = X

70 x 92 = 6440 + 783 - 344 = 6879

Note: See below.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Okay, I looked up the algebraic rule. Here is what it says...

Whenever you try to simplify a mathematical expression, you must always follow the correct order of operations. That is because we are lazy; instead of putting in enough parentheses so that the process of simplification is unambiguous, we establish conventions on where the parentheses are assumed to be, and then do not bother to write them in. This means that following the correct order of operations is really about knowing where parentheses are assumed to be.

Specifically, we should always perform:
  • powers or roots, before
  • products or quotients, which are before
  • plus (addition) or minus (subtraction),
and, in the case of ties (e.g., a sequence of products and quotients):
  • work left-to-right.
p.s. I used to tutor basic math and algebra. ;)

Last edited:
VF21 said:
Oops. Sorry, Prophetess.

I'll answer your question: "racist" can refer to black, white, yellow, brown, red, etc.

Now back to the other: Have you ever seen a ghost?

Nope, Although one of my teachers got tapped on the ear but no one was around him. (And it wasn't the air conditioner...:p)

...Have you ever edited a photo and drew silly faces on it? If not; Ya wanna do one now and post it? :D

The Freak said:
Nope, Although one of my teachers got tapped on the ear but no one was around him. (And it wasn't the air conditioner...:p)

...Have you ever edited a photo and drew silly faces on it? If not; Ya wanna do one now and post it? :D

Yes I have drawn a few but I erased them shortly after.

Why does Algebra seem not to make any sense whatsoever?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
6th said:
Okay, I looked up the algebraic rule. Here is what it says...

Whenever you try to simplify a mathematical expression, you must always follow the correct order of operations. That is because we are lazy; instead of putting in enough parentheses so that the process of simplification is unambiguous, we establish conventions on where the parentheses are assumed to be, and then do not bother to write them in. This means that following the correct order of operations is really about knowing where parentheses are assumed to be.

Specifically, we should always perform:
  • powers or roots, before
  • products or quotients, which are before
  • plus (addition) or minus (subtraction),
and, in the case of ties (e.g., a sequence of products and quotients):
  • work left-to-right.
p.s. I used to tutor basic math and algebra. ;)
Nice try, but still wrong.

6th said:
But, what about the rule that you must perform any multiplication or division applications before you perform any addition or subtraction applications? That is why I applied the brackets, so I could see that the 72 x 90 would be performed 1st.
You are making an erroneous assumption. You're saying the problem needed to be simplified and then you're complicating it by ADDING something that was not there to begin with, i.e. the assumption that the poser of the problem meant to include a stipulation that is clearly not there.

The FIRST RULE of mathematics is that you NEVER assume facts not in evidence.

The problem was quite simple:

what is 783 -344 + 92 x 70 = ?

You have to work left to right AND you have to work with what you have. You cannot assume that additional information was left out, which is what you're doing when you add the brackets. If you work strictly left from right, you get the answer I already showed AND I can defend that because I haven't made any assumption of facts NOT in evidence.

Sorry, 6th. You might be able to defend your solution by stretching the rule you quoted above, but I still firmly believe my answer is correct. (And, BTW - so does my brother, who has a degree in math). ;)

Last edited:
oh boy...well when i came up with the problem i got the answer that VF got...i didn't use any of that PLEASE EXCUSE MY DEAR AUNT SALLY stuff...i just did the problem as it stands

but back to the thread at hand...

slugking50 said:
Why does Algebra seem not to make any sense whatsoever?
i personally love algebra...but id say it doesn't make any sense at all cuz usually there are like 947598 different ways to solve a problem but only ONE correct answer

What SIX celebrities would you love to be stranded on desert island with?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
Nice try, but still wrong.

You are making an erroneous assumption. You're saying the problem needed to be simplified and then you're complicating it by ADDING something that was not there to begin with, i.e. the assumption that the poser of the problem meant to include a stipulation that is clearly not there.

The FIRST RULE of mathematics is that you NEVER assume facts not in evidence.

The problem was quite simple:

what is 783 -344 + 92 x 70 = ?

You have to work left to right AND you have to work with what you have. You cannot assume that additional information was left out, which is what you're doing when you add the brackets. If you work strictly left from right, you get the answer I already showed AND I can defend that because I haven't made any assumption of facts NOT in evidence.

Sorry, 6th. You might be able to defend your solution by stretching the rule you quoted above, but I still firmly believe my answer is correct. (And, BTW - so does my brother, who has a degree in math). ;)
Does he teach?

I did not stretch any rule. The rule about left to right only applies when everything else is equal. They are not equal, however, because you have 1 mutiplication operation and an addition and a subtraction operation. Using the rule (which I certainly did not make up) you must perform the multiplication 1st.

BTW - I will repeat one section of the rule and show that you also assumed parentheses:

"Instead of putting in enough parentheses so that the process of simplification is unambiguous, we establish conventions on where the parentheses are assumed to be, and then do not bother to write them in. This means that following the correct order of operations is really about knowing where parentheses are assumed to be."

(783 - 344 + 92) x 70 = X

In this case, because you put in brackets that you assumed, you would be correct in doing the subtraction/addition operations first and then taking that total and multiplying by 70. But, the brackets cannot be implied, so you must see this:

783 -344 + 92 x 70 as 92 times 70 plus 783 minus 344 which equals 6879.

iheartBrad said:
What SIX celebrities would you love to be stranded on desert island with?
Dave Chapelle, Bernie Mac, Kim Coles, Monique, Earthquake (a very funny D.C. comedian) and Jamie Foxx. As you can tell, I like to laugh.

Next person, same question.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
6th said:
Does he teach?

I did not stretch any rule. The rule about left to right only applies when everything else is equal. They are not equal, however, because you have 1 mutiplication operation and an addition and a subtraction operation. Using the rule (which I certainly did not make up) you must perform the multiplication 1st.

BTW - I will repeat one section of the rule and show that you also assumed parentheses:

"Instead of putting in enough parentheses so that the process of simplification is unambiguous, we establish conventions on where the parentheses are assumed to be, and then do not bother to write them in. This means that following the correct order of operations is really about knowing where parentheses are assumed to be."

(783 - 344 + 92) x 70 = X

In this case, because you put in brackets that you assumed, you would be correct in doing the subtraction/addition operations first and then taking that total and multiplying by 70. But, the brackets cannot be implied, so you must see this:

783 -344 + 92 x 70 as 92 times 70 plus 783 minus 344 which equals 6879.
We will simply have to agree to disagree, although I still state I assumed NOTHING. I went strictly from left to right.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
We will simply have to agree to disagree, although I still state I assumed NOTHING. I went strictly from left to right.
:D Okay, I will agree to disagree. But, it was bugging me so I called my friend, who also has a degree in math (and computer science), and she agrees with me. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
linzeesan said:
Dave Chapelle, Bernie Mac, Kim Coles, Monique, Earthquake (a very funny D.C. comedian) and Jamie Foxx. As you can tell, I like to laugh.

Next person, same question.
Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver), Angelina Jolie, Jeff Probst, Chris Webber, Martha Stewart... Sorry, could only come up with 5.

Next person, same question. (What six celebrities would you like to be stranded on a desert island with?)

Christina Aguilera (i love her to death)
Emerill (ya gotta eat and ya gotta have someone cook it)
Oprah (she'd be great for conversation)
Orlando Bloom (he's just flat out dreamy)
Ellen DeGeneres (who wouldn't want her on the island she's frickin hilarious)
Shaq (he's a HUGE kid...he could prolly entertain you for hours...and honestly i think coupled with Ellen could be just GREAT-from the humor side of things...some hate Shaq but ive always liked him..i just hated Shaq the LA LAKER)

Next person, same question
(it was a great question btw...who thought of it?)

Last edited:
Oh my, the possibilities...

Angelina Jolie (duh)
Jude Law
Milla Jovovich
Brad Pitt
Salma Hayek
George Clooney

The reasons are all, I'm sure, fairly obvious. However, I also chose people that strike me as intelligent and funny enough to keep me entertained.

I mean that last part, smart ***!!

Gotta keep the question going, its a good one.

Milla Jovovich - (A Sac Native sorta. She lived here from age 5-12 before going off to become a model. I think her family is still here... Just thought id share) - Brains, and beauty.

Angelina Jolie- Brains, beauty, and a fantastic sarcastic sense of humor that I share.

Salma Hayek The same as above and as such I will remain silent since this wonderful site is PG.

George Carlin, The guy can make me roll. Briliant.

Chris Rock - The best comic today, Bar none.

Conan O'Brien- All 3 are brilliant and can go the stupid but funny route as well at the times I want to rest my brain. Which is most of the time;)

I thought abiout Ellen Degenerous since shes the best standup ofthe last 20 yearsIMHO. ive always been fan but I know shes retired from doing standup(BOOOOO).

Same Q.

Last edited:
Angelina Jolie
Jessica Alba
Elisha Cuthbert
Anna Kournikova
Carmen Electra
Avril Lavigne

Hey! I may need to repopulate the world you know.

Same question.

Doug Christie
Shawn Marion
Jamie Foxx
Chris Tucker
Ellen DeGeneres
Trevor Penick

I chose these people b/c i absolutely love them and think we'd have the best time. Nothin but laughs..

same question..

slugking50 said:
Milla Jovovich - (A Sac Native sorta. She lived here from age 5-12 before going off to become a model. I think her family is still here... Just thought id share) - Brains, and beauty.

Angelina Jolie- Brains, beauty, and a fantastic sarcastic sense of humor that I share.

Salma Hayek The same as above and as such I will remain silent since this wonderful site is PG.
Ya big ol' copycat!!

-- Pardon the intrusion....on with the questions --

Status
Not open for further replies.