"A's" thread from Oakland (rowdy bitter end 09-26-24) to West Sac.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Holy guac. This article just keeps getting worse and worse until it gets to the part about the souvenir giveaway. Then it can't get any worse. There is no down from there.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Holy guac. This article just keeps getting worse and worse until it gets to the part about the souvenir giveaway. Then it can't get any worse. There is no down from there.
For better or worse (mostly worse), I have never felt more confident in the A’s playing in Sacramento longer than the initial three year time period agreed upon between Fisher and Vivek. Also increasingly confident that Vivek is going to make an offer for the A’s once Vegas completely and totally falls through.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
IMG_0014.jpeg

The sort of tone deaf “letter to the fans“ you get when you’re too cheap to hire good PR people to write one for you.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

the good news for the city of Sacramento is that most of the good players on the A’s are so young that they’re still years away from being eligible for a big contract.
That's what we thought about Josh Donaldson. And Sean Murphy. And Matt Chapman. And Frankie Montas. Fisher won't even allow his team to pay arbitration salaries at this point which is why the A's 2024 payroll is less than 1/5 of the Dodgers 2024 payroll. If the team is actually good next year there is a 100% chance the front office will find a way to screw it up. No amount of free taxpayer money will save them because as long as Fisher is calling the shots this franchise will always make the worst decision possible.

Good luck city of Sacramento. You've got three years of this type of management to look forward to. Even if Vegas falls through would-be Sacramento A's fans might already be ready to run these guys out of town by the end of that. You have no idea how much of a garbage fire this ownership group has been if you haven't been following the whole painful saga for the last 20 years. Fisher had the phenomenal good fortune to buy into a franchise in 2004 with the best front office in professional sports at the time and little by little he let the on-field product, the venue, the marketing department, and the minor league system all wither and die.

That's what we thought about Josh Donaldson. And Sean Murphy. And Matt Chapman. And Frankie Montas. Fisher won't even allow his team to pay arbitration salaries at this point which is why the A's 2024 payroll is less than 1/5 of the Dodgers 2024 payroll. If the team is actually good next year there is a 100% chance the front office will find a way to screw it up. No amount of free taxpayer money will save them because as long as Fisher is calling the shots this franchise will always make the worst decision possible.

Good luck city of Sacramento. You've got three years of this type of management to look forward to. Even if Vegas falls through would-be Sacramento A's fans might already be ready to run these guys out of town by the end of that. You have no idea how much of a garbage fire this ownership group has been if you haven't been following the whole painful saga for the last 20 years. Fisher had the phenomenal good fortune to buy into a franchise in 2004 with the best front office in professional sports at the time and little by little he let the on-field product, the venue, the marketing department, and the minor league system all wither and die.
What is the theory on why he allowed all this to happen?

hrdboild

Staff member
What is the theory on why he allowed all this to happen?
In order of importance:

(1) He inherited his money and has no clue how to run a business.

(2) He's spent nearly his entire run as owner (since 2005) proposing stadiums outside of Oakland (Fremont, San Jose, Las Vegas) instead of investing money to build a new one on either land owned by the city or land he already owns. Why invest in Oakland when you're planning to leave?

(3) Oakland Coliseum was shared with the Raiders until 2019 and both ownership groups seemed to think that badly needed renovations to the existing structure were the other guys' responsibility.

I'll add to this that it's been nearly a year since relocation to Vegas was approved and there has been no movement on actually building that stadium. They haven't even announced a financing plan for it yet. Meanwhile MLB is blocking any Bay Area based ownership group from even talking about buying the team.

All Fisher has accomplished so far by torpedoing Howard Terminal is extending his revenue sharing welfare check from MLB for at least the next 3 years while he continues to drag his feet about actually spending a dime of his own money on anything baseball related.

Got to go to last nights game and the energy was incredible. The parking lot was full of tailgating and the weather was spectacular. I couldn’t help but wonder how the hell the A’s are gonna get along in blistering Sacramento. To go from 100 degrees to a beautiful 65 degrees and breezy, it just made me sad that it’s over in Oakland. I’m 51 now and I’ve been attending A’s games since my grandpa took my cousin and I to our first game when we were 8 years old. I’ve seen a lot at that old stadium and walking around it yesterday brought back incredible memories. I took plenty of video and it was crazy to see so many people doing the same, just wandering around and talking about all the memories. Even guys in the restroom commenting on how much they would miss the old troughs! Include me in that group by the way. I missed the last 9er game at candlestick and I missed the last game at arco but I certainly wasn’t gonna miss my chance to say goodbye to the coliseum.

They play lots of night games at Sutter Health Park so weather not as much a factor as playing middle of blazing hot summer sun. But when the days are long can still be hot even at start time 7 pm. But cools off quickly and delta breeze when kicks in can make for glorious night baseball in Sactown.
For decades the chat has been, get a MLB team, night games will be paradise at the ballpark. Now we got the team for 3 maybe 4 seasons and possibly keep A's forever if Vegas funding falls apart which is at best 50-50 bet at this point.

Got to go to last nights game and the energy was incredible. The parking lot was full of tailgating and the weather was spectacular. I couldn’t help but wonder how the hell the A’s are gonna get along in blistering Sacramento. To go from 100 degrees to a beautiful 65 degrees and breezy, it just made me sad that it’s over in Oakland. I’m 51 now and I’ve been attending A’s games since my grandpa took my cousin and I to our first game when we were 8 years old. I’ve seen a lot at that old stadium and walking around it yesterday brought back incredible memories. I took plenty of video and it was crazy to see so many people doing the same, just wandering around and talking about all the memories. Even guys in the restroom commenting on how much they would miss the old troughs! Include me in that group by the way. I missed the last 9er game at candlestick and I missed the last game at arco but I certainly wasn’t gonna miss my chance to say goodbye to the coliseum.
Rivercats fans (I'm one) have never had a problem. In fact, we kind of enjoy those games at the old barn next to Drakes Barn.

Packed in 46,889 fans saw it, Mason Miller delivering 102-104 mph heat getting last out two inning save, will never forget final game after 57 years in Oakland. Spectacle in the 9th with several delays starting with fan running onto outfield, posse of police finally corralling him. Then numerous objects thrown into the outfield with more delay and finally smoke bomb along left field line, its bright yellow color bellowing across the diamond as play resumed. Unforgettable, poignant, meaningless "Lets go Oakland!" loud chant all the way to the bitter end.

hrdboild

Staff member
Keeping it classy right to the end I see. Oakland has nothing to feel ashamed about here. It's MLB that has embarrassed itself.

Earlier today I was watching a video of a grown man wrestle the record setting Ohtani HR ball away from a teenager so that he could immediately put it up for auction and (morbidly) scrolling through dozens of comments -- nearly all of them in fact -- cheering him on for it and that was the exact moment it dawned on me that Baseball is already over and probably has been for a long time. Fitting then that this last gasp would occur mere hours later at a place called the Coliseum.