Artest retirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN has jumped on this story:

Artest won't confirm, deny if he's talked about retiring

Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest told multiple teammates this week that he wants to retire at season's end to spend more time with his family, according to club sources.

Reached via e-mail, Artest wouldn't confirm or deny making such declarations, telling ESPN.com: "We can talk about it after [the] playoffs."

Artest added that he will indeed play Sunday afternoon when the Kings, 4½ games out of the eighth and final playoff berth in the West, play host to Phoenix in an ABC game. Since being arrested at his Sacramento-area home March 5 after a domestic dispute with his wife, Artest has missed three games, most recently Thursday night's road loss to the Suns.

Artest pleaded not guilty Thursday to four misdemeanor charges stemming from the dispute. He tried to make it to Phoenix in time for the Kings' game after his court appearance, but weather-related travel complications prevented Artest and Kings broadcaster Grant Napear -- who also was also traveling on a commercial flight that day -- from joining the team.

The possibility of the eight-year veteran walking away from the Kings after the season to focus on family life is also raised at hiphopgame.com, where Artest has been posting journal entries this season.

But it should be noted that this isn't the first time he's brought up retirement. Before and after his 73-game suspension with Indiana during the 2004-05 season, Artest suggested numerous times publicly that he could be content without the NBA in his life. Few league observers believed him then, and similar skepticism is bound to greet his latest sentiments.

The 27-year-old has two seasons left on his contract after this one, both at salaries of $7.4 million. Artest has the option to terminate the contract after next season and enter the free-agent market in July 2008.

Artest was widely hailed as a savior in Sacramento last season after the Kings acquired him from the Pacers in a late January trade for Peja Stojakovic. The Kings were 17-24 when they got him and wound up rallying into the postseason, extending San Antonio to six games in the first round and stretching their run under co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof to eight straight seasons in the playoffs.

During the offseason, both Maloofs openly described Artest as the new face of the franchise, expressing hope that the enigmatic swingman would finish his career with the Kings.

This season, though, has been turmoil-ridden from the start, with ongoing reports of locker-room strife, and first-year coach Eric Musselman has struggled to assert his authority over the Kings. Artest and point guard Mike Bibby both were made available before the league's Feb. 22 trade deadline, leading to speculation that the Kings will be looking to jettison both -- as well as Musselman -- this offseason.
In an interview with ESPN.com in November 2004, just one week before the melee at The Palace of Auburn Hills that led to the longest suspension in NBA history, Artest raised and then shot down the idea of early retirement in the same conversation.

"If I think I want to retire, it doesn't make me crazy," Artest said at the time. "What's so crazy about being home with your family? I don't see anything so crazy about that. If people think that's crazy, maybe they don't know what it's like to be with their family. Family is more important than money."
But then he added: "I really -- before I retire -- I want to win a championship. I want to reach at least one of the things Michael Jordan reached."

After entering his plea of not guilty last week, Artest was ordered by a Placer County Superior Court judge to stay at least 100 yards away from wife, Kimsha, and their three children until further notice. Artest is allowed to communicate with his family by telephone, e-mail and letter, with another court hearing scheduled for April 5.

He was arrested March 5 at the family's estate in Loomis, some 25 miles northeast of Sacramento. Artest is accused of grabbing, pushing and slapping his wife. He pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charges of battery and corporal injury to a spouse, false imprisonment and dissuading a witness from reporting a crime.

Artest has since apologized to his family and his teammates at a news conference. He's played in seven games since the incident, averaging 18.7 points and 6.0 rebounds, but the Kings are 1-6 in those games.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Last edited:
Man, I didn't think it was a true statement at first but i really might think he is telling the truth....................... He still thinks we could make the playoffs, lol.

Reached via e-mail, Artest wouldn't confirm or deny making such declarations, telling ESPN.com: "We can talk about it after [the] playoffs."

Last edited:
:sigh: First he talks about how "Ron Artest is in the media, while guys like Kevin Martin are out there having a great season" And then he does something like this. He could have ended this simply by denying it. But he didn't and he probably opened up a media frenzy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ron Artest is Ron Artest. He's always going to say things publicly that a majority of people would have liked him not to say. That's just the way he is...

Remember one of the first rules the Pacer fans gave us. DO NOT PAY ANY ATTENTION to anything Artest says.

In this case, however, I think having him retire could, as I've said before, end up being a win-win situation.

SacKings384 said:
:sigh: First he talks about how "Ron Artest is in the media, while guys like Kevin Martin are out there having a great season" And then he does something like this. He could have ended this simply by denying it. But he didn't and he probably opened up a media frenzy.
Dude he wants to retire to spend time with his family yes he can keep his mouth shut now but he knows inside of his heart that the season is over so even if there is a distraction its not gonna affect much cause we are headed to the Lottery.

this is a game Ron wants to deal with a more important issue.

Ron Artest is Ron Artest. He's always going to say things publicly that a majority of people would have liked him not to say. That's just the way he is...

Remember one of the first rules the Pacer fans gave us. DO NOT PAY ANY ATTENTION to anything Artest says.

In this case, however, I think having him retire could, as I've said before, end up being a win-win situation.
well that doesn't excuse his behavior and it doesn't mean that other teams are just going to ignore it if he isn't in the process of retiring this offseason and we're trying to trade him. if he does retire win-win, but if he doesn't very possibly lose-lose. he puts the kings in a tight spot, it would be nice if he gave consideration to someone other than himself before he spoke, but to expect that of him is probably futile.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
well that doesn't excuse his behavior and it doesn't mean that other teams are just going to ignore it if he isn't in the process of retiring this offseason and we're trying to trade him. if he does retire win-win, but if he doesn't very possibly lose-lose. he puts the kings in a tight spot, it would be nice if he gave consideration to someone other than himself before he spoke, but to expect that of him is probably futile.
????

We can't trade him before the end of the season.

Excuse his behavior? Hello? This is Ron Artest we're talking about. He hasn't put the Kings in a tight spot. We were already there, whether or not Artest made this latest comment to the press. If Artest thinks something, he opens his mouth and says it to whomever happens to be around. It's happened a lot. This is no different.

The media is jumping on it because it's Artest and anything with his name associated is considered "news worthy."

Dude he wants to retire to spend time with his family yes he can keep his mouth shut now but he knows inside of his heart that the season is over so even if there is a distraction its not gonna affect much cause we are headed to the Lottery.

this is a game Ron wants to deal with a more important issue.
If Ron REALLY wants to retire then I am fine with that. If Ron REALLY is going to retire then oddly enough I am fine with that. What I'm not fine with (and if you've known Ron Artest you've known him to say ridiculous things) is him saying this and then NOT retiring. What I'm not ok with is him putting his name in the papers again for no reason. What I'm not ok with is him being a constant distraction. What I'm not ok with is him not just saying "No I'm not going to retire" even if he really is, so his teammates, the Maloofs, and the fans don't have to hear about this crap all season. If he really wanted to retire he would retire now. It would be no different. This sounds to me like another cry for attention. A false statement and one that when it comes down to it isn't going to happen. I'll be more than willing to eat crow if it happens. But I'm not saving any room for it...

????

We can't trade him before the end of the season.

Excuse his behavior? Hello? This is Ron Artest we're talking about. He hasn't put the Kings in a tight spot. We were already there, whether or not Artest made this latest comment to the press. If Artest thinks something, he opens his mouth and says it to whomever happens to be around. It's happened a lot. This is no different.

The media is jumping on it because it's Artest and anything with his name associated is considered "news worthy."
Either you don't think he's tradeable regardless or you missed the part where I said if he DOESN'T retire we're in a tight spot because of what he's said.

I'm all for him retiring, what I'm not all for is him saying he's going to retire and then not actually go through with it. I've admitted it's futile to expect Artest to consider other people before he speaks, excuse me for venting over something that could possibly hurt the kings. I'm not trying to turn this into a big deal, I just think it's a jerk thing for him to talk about unless he's 100% certain he's going through with it. Just expressing my opinion.

This has nothing to do with cry for attention. simpley hes trying to tell people that hes trying to work himself as a better father. of course he wants the attention its not because he likes it but its because he wants people to know how much hes willing to sarcifice to become a better person we already know hes a good basketball player but being a good person and a good player are to different matters.

What makes you think hes not? you said hes crying for attention and thats full of crap. you can tell hes willing to do anything to become a better father. he wants to take some time off to realize what he needs to do.

i think your thinking to much about the team right now then what Artest is willing to do in the off-court situation.

This has nothing to do with cry for attention. simpley hes trying to tell people that hes trying to work himself as a better father. of course he wants the attention its not because he likes it but its because he wants people to know how much hes willing to sarcifice to become a better person we already know hes a good basketball player but being a good person and a good player are to different matters.​
talk is cheap.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Either you don't think he's tradeable regardless or you missed the part where I said if he DOESN'T retire we're in a tight spot because of what he's said.

I'm all for him retiring, what I'm not all for is him saying he's going to retire and then not actually go through with it. I've admitted it's futile to expect Artest to consider other people before he speaks, excuse me for venting over something that could possibly hurt the kings. I'm not trying to turn this into a big deal, I just think it's a jerk thing for him to talk about unless he's 100% certain he's going through with it. Just expressing my opinion.
He didn't say he was going to retire. He said he was going to consider it. I just think you're making way too much of this particular announcement.

And I think TheJoker is going to far the other direction. We simply do not have any way to know what Artest is thinking. Odds are he doesn't even know what he's thinking.

Bottom line is that Ron says a lot of stuff. Always has. And, just as the Pacer fans learned, a lot of Kings fans are learning not to pay too much attention.

As far as this particular announcement hurting the Kings' chances of trading him, I don't think the possibility of him choosing to retire would be the biggest burr under the saddle in that rodeo.

VF21 said:
Bottom line is that Ron says a lot of stuff. Always has. And, just as the Pacer fans learned, a lot of Kings fans are learning not to pay too much attention.
Pacer fans? your gonna take what Pacer fans say? when everything surrounding Artest is negative when they speak upon him?

once again i think people are to concerned about the team right now then Artest "The human" which is understandable but for Artest the personal situation is more important then basketball. Basketball is a game every season some team goes through a crap sloat but the good thing is there is always a next season but life in general you can't say the samething about being a better father because its something far more worse.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Pacer fans? your gonna take what Pacer fans say? when everything surrounding Artest is negative when they speak upon him?​

Yes, I'm going to listen to what Pacer fans say. I happen to have a great deal of respect for a number of them. So far, what they've warned us about has pretty much come true...

once again i think people are to concerned about the team right now then Artest "The human" which is understandable but for Artest the personal situation is more important then basketball. Basketball is a game every season some team goes through a crap sloat but the good thing is there is always a next season but life in general you can't say the samething about being a better father because its something far more worse.
Yeah, I get that. You've said it repeatedly. The point is this is a basketball forum and people are going to talk about how this potentially could affect the team. That's not a problem.​

VF21 said:
Yeah, I get that. You've said it repeatedly. The point is this is a basketball forum and people are going to talk about how this potentially could affect the team. That's not a problem.
We can always ignore on which is which sure this is a basketball forum and we care about our team but sometimes in these situation were Artest is in it's hard to think about the team. i want Ron to be a good person and a father it comes within.

the timing is bad i can agree with that but at the sametime you can still calculate the situation and feel for Ron.

Best of luck to Ron but one way or another the Kings have to lose him. That is step one in the rebuilding process. For the Kings sake, human intrest aside, they need to dump hm and they likely will get zero in return. If he doesn't retire the Kings better find some other team intrigued by his talent that he can then screw up.

He didn't say he was going to retire. He said he was going to consider it. I just think you're making way too much of this particular announcement.

And I think TheJoker is going to far the other direction. We simply do not have any way to know what Artest is thinking. Odds are he doesn't even know what he's thinking.

As far as this particular announcement hurting the Kings' chances of trading him, I don't think the possibility of him choosing to retire would be the biggest burr under the saddle in that rodeo.
Ron making a comment like this and not following through with it could very well be the thing that makes him, officially, untradeable. I agree with the thought that most of what he says should be taken with the smallest grain of salt, but to ignore the possible implications of these particular comments is, I think, ostrich level naivete.

If Ron doesn't retire and becomes a problem for the Kings to the point a trade became necessary, I can't see that many teams would be willing to part with much more than a bag of Doritos for a volatile player who threatens to quit or retire every time the going gets tough. Despite the talent level.

simpley hes trying to tell people that hes trying to work himself as a better father.
really? didn't know he was trying to say that. :rolleyes:

i'm not with surprised at the article. i knew he was gonna say something stupid like that. it's ron artest for crying out loud.

Last edited:

i think him saying he's considering it has basically the same effect.

Last edited:
You know how when you were growing up there was always that kid on your team who was pretty good and would always quit the team for a week so everyone would beg him to come back? Ron is that kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.