Artest Has Been Suspended for Game 2!!!!

hoops4kings said:
Napear just said the suspension was one of the worst calls by the NBA in his 18 years of covering the sport.
Every once in a while I agree with Grant. This is one of those times.

And to VF21... I understand your sentiments as well.

This is another solid reminder of the NBA's flimsy integrity and credibility.

Now the bigger question is what is with Ron's statement that he talked with Stu Jackson and he told him he was suspended for all the other things that he did in his career. I know not to take things that Ron says litterally, but....?

Just because a person on the Kings gets suspended, it doesn't mean that hte call is somehow wrong or biased. It's obvious that Artest through a punch of sorts at Ginobli's head, and that is not allowed - end of story. It is not about whether it hurt somebody or if there were worst flagrants called (or not called) before. The truth is that it was an intentional fist to an opponent's head. From an unbiased perspective, Artest's actions deserve a suspension. And for all of those who cry that the Kings always get calls against them and certain players don't, remember that KOBE BRYANT, of all people, was suspended for retaliating in a very similar way earlier this year.

Rowdyone said:
Didn't have too with BSPN, who has a vested interest in seeing the Spurs win with an eventual SA/Detroit series, all over it.
Oh please....the LAST thing any network wants is a SA/Detroit matchup. Simply put...its boring. There are no Kobes or Lebrons or Shaqs that bring drama and, more importantly, bring star power. Defense may win championships but it doesn't do much for ratings. If anything, the NBA would want there to be an upset of some sort to give audiences something to look forward to instead of the predicatable conclusion of SA/Detroit in the Finals.

Case in point - last year's NBA finals had the lowest ratings in years.

I am far from a San Antonio fan (after Detroit, there is no team I like less) but what difference does it make who initiated the review. If there is a rule and it was broken, than the punishment should pretty much be followed through with. This applies whether it was initiated by the Spurs, Mark Cuban, Phil Jackson, or anybody else in the never-ending plethora of supposed villains in the tragic saga of the Kings.

The commons sentiment among Kings fans is that the NBA has some kind of an agenda against them. If anything, an upstart eigth seed upsetting the defending champion and the unlikely fulfillment of the farfetched promise of Artest would be exactly what the NBA needs. Jackson, Stern and others want to bring more flavor to the drab proceedings of playoff basketball in recent years. The problem the NBA has is that pretty much everyone expects a Detroit/San Antonio rematch, yet unlike the Lakers/Celtics clashes of the 80s, the matchup simply isn't appealing to audiences. So I, for one, do not buy the argument that there is a conspiracy to somehow throne the Spurs again.

People tend to look at the Kings and say that the referees or the NBA in general just doesn't want them to win. Have there been terrible calls against the Kings over the years? Unquestionably. But the truth is that these calls (or lack of them) occur to other teams too. One only needs to look at the ridiculous foul called against the Nets in the closing seconds or the even more ridiclous non-call against KOBE BRYANT of all people in their respective playoff openers to see what I mean.

Last edited:
Ok, I have had a chance to see the play now. That elbow was no more intentional than Ginobli's was in the first part of the game. Ginobli's was actually called as a foul, Artest's wasn't. He's getting thrown out because he is Ron Artest. If Artest is tossed, Ginobli should be tossed next game to even the tables. I hope the Maloofs raise hell with the league.

uolj said:
Both were called fouls.
Mike and Grant said it wasn't called a foul. As I said iin a earlier post I was napping when this happened, but I have seen the replay. Was it called a flagrant foul in the game??

Either way it doesn't change the fact that Artests elbow was no more intentional than Ginobli's elbow to Artest.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ugh...Im disgusted.

Ginobili, Duncan, or Bowen do it they probably get commended for their hard-nosed playof style defense.

Im thuroughly pissed.

uolj said:
Both were called fouls.
No, Ginobili's elbow was not called a foul. Ginobili was called for an offensive foul on Brad Miller on that drive to the basket. You can check ESPN's play-by-play and that's what they sid during the game too.

I saw a replay of that Ginobili elbow a few times. At first, I thought it was unintentional, but after I saw it a couple more times, I thought it looked very possibly intentional. It looked more intentional than unintentional to me.

Bottom line, its an opinion of Stu Jackson that Ron's forearm was intentional. He is making an assumption about what was in someone's mind. He could just have easily decided it was his opinion that Ginobili's elbow was intentional. And I think he should have.

Ron deserved some sort of punishment and shame on him, but I believe Ginobili does too.

Also checked play-by-play and Ron was called for a foul during the game.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
...And my excitement about the 2006 playoffs shrivels up and dies...

I may just start watching hockey.
I just woke up (ya i worked all night what happened to the good ole days of working for myself :( )

Anyway just spoke to my friend and he told me about this, came here and I am not sure I can say any words that describe how I feel.

VF your quote stuck out to me because thats exactly how I feel. I stopped watching baseball because of shaddy crap and now the NBA...

AS A FAN I HAVE BEEN ROBBED.

Sure we had a slim chance to win this series, now we have NO chance.

Unbelievable. Time for a drink!

Last edited:
DocHolliday said:
Mike and Grant said it wasn't called a foul. As I said iin a earlier post I was napping when this happened, but I have seen the replay. Was it called a flagrant foul in the game??

Either way it doesn't change the fact that Artests elbow was no more intentional than Ginobli's elbow to Artest.
It wasn't called a flagrant (at first the ESPN announcers thought the call was against Miller). I personally thought Artest's forearm was more intentional than Ginobli's elbow, but I haven't seen replays of the elbow since it happened.
kennadog said:
No, Ginobili's elbow was not called a foul. Ginobili was called for an offensive foul on Brad Miller on that drive to the basket. You can check ESPN's play-by-play and that's what they said during the game too.
At first, the announcers assumed that the offensive foul call against Ginobli was from when he went near Miller because it was such a late call, but then they seemed to change their minds because there wasn't really any contact with Miller and my assumption was that the official made it clear that it was the elbow. I didn't look closely enough myself to see for sure, but because there was really no foul after the elbow my guess is that is what was called and everybody assumed it was something else because the whistle was so late.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I should never post when I'm upset or something like this first comes out...

I'm still pretty disgusted about the whole situation. I think the league was unfair, I thnk Manu intentionally fouled Ron right at the beginning to try and get into his head, and I think Ron's foul was, at worst, a flagrant 1.

Having said all that, I do still love this team. And I will watch tomorrow - because to do anything less would be unfathomable. I am a Kings fan. Through the good, the bad and the ugly ...

The problem with this is that its not the first time this has happened to the kings. Just a couple months ago Bonzi... Kobe did the same thing NOTHING.

BOWEN the elbow master, Malone I don't remember him getting suspended. The double standard is so obvious it takes away from me enjoying the game.

uolj said:
It wasn't called a flagrant (at first the ESPN announcers thought the call was against Miller). I personally thought Artest's forearm was more intentional than Ginobli's elbow, but I haven't seen replays of the elbow since it happened.At first, the announcers assumed that the offensive foul call against Ginobli was from when he went near Miller because it was such a late call, but then they seemed to change their minds because there wasn't really any contact with Miller and my assumption was that the official made it clear that it was the elbow. I didn't look closely enough myself to see for sure, but because there was really no foul after the elbow my guess is that is what was called and everybody assumed it was something else because the whistle was so late.
Grant and Jerry thought it was for the elbow to Artest at first, but then said it wasn't. It was being called a Ginobili foul on Brad Miller. And that is what ESPN's play-by-play reflects.

It is funny for the league to say that the past has to do with the suspension, twice this year bruce bowen has kicked someone! he kicked ray allen in the back while ray was on the ground (fined $10k) and he also kicked wally szwerbiak in the head (not sure about fine) but he was not suspended for either discretion, which they both were obviously done on purpose. This garbage about rons past is a joke and the league has gone way to far!

VF21 said:

I'm still pretty disgusted about the whole situation. I think the league was unfair, I thnk Manu intentionally fouled Ron right at the beginning to try and get into his head, and I think Ron's foul was, at worst, a flagrant 1.

Having said all that, I do still love this team. And I will watch tomorrow - because to do anything less would be unfathomable. I am a Kings fan. Through the good, the bad and the ugly ...
Spurs announcer talking on KHTK just said Ron was suspended because he's Ron. He said anybody else did that, they wouldn't get suspended. Not that it's gonna help us.

VF21 said:

Huzzah! Keep a stiff upper lip old chap. Win one for the Gipper lads.

To be read with Hail Brittania playing smartly in the background.

A prime example of a player's reputation preceding him. If it were any other player on the Kings, that player would not be suspended. Unbelievable that it wasn't even called in the game and the Spurs didn't even talk about it afterward. The Kings can't complain about it too much or there will just be more suspensions. The only thing the Kings can do about it is get ready for Game 2 with a purpose. I just got home and I've been checking the threads and I get the impression that many feel it's the Kings against the world. That can be used to help the Kings band together and put a fire under them that clearly wasn't there in Game 1.

VF21 said:
I thnk Manu intentionally fouled Ron right at the beginning to try and get into his head, and I think Ron's foul was, at worst, a flagrant 1.
I totally agree. The more replays of that first play I saw during the game, the more I thought it was definitely intentional. He glanced back at Ron and then swung that elbow right into his face as he turned. It looked obviously intentional to me, that Ginobili had decided to send a message on the first play.

If I remeber correctly the elbow that pop was complainiing about was the one when ron grabbed a rebound and hit duncan on the head, it is interesting the way they have edited the video on espn to make it look as though he is talking to ron after the manu hit when it is actually after the duncan hit!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kennadog said:
Spurs announcer talking on KHTK just said Ron was suspended because he's Ron. He said anybody else did that, they wouldn't get suspended. Not that it's gonna help us.
News10 has said the same thing, as has Ch. 3...

Ron was asked about it and he said he spoke to Stu Jackson and it was because of a lof things including the past. It was rather hard to understand Ron because his lip is really swollen and it's black and pretty awful looking where he got the stitches... You know, from the non-foul by Manu right at the beginning of the game?

Bibby said with conviction, "It's not over. Ron may be down but we're not out of it."

The league may just have strengthened the resolve of the "band of brothers."

Kevin Martin will move into the Kings' starting lineup at guard, with Wells moving to small forward. Martin probably will get the unpleasant task of guarding Parker, who burned the Kings for 25 points in three quarters.

A tad off the subject, but why not start Corliss? The Spurs are stacked with championship experience and Corliss has a ring. Corliss can show on the court to the Kings, who were DOA in Game 1 that this is what it takes to win the championship. We finally get a player who has a ring, and he never plays. He is not the best player on the team, but he has the veteran savvy that this young team needs.