Are the Maloofs Still on Grant's Show Today?

I could have sworn I heard Grant mentioned yesterday afternoon that the Maloofs would be on his show today. Has anyone else heard this? or does anyone know if it's still scheduled?

I think it would be an interesting interview...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I could have sworn I heard Grant mentioned yesterday afternoon that the Maloofs would be on his show today. Has anyone else heard this? or does anyone know if it's still scheduled?

I think it would be an interesting interview...
Could be, although for obvious reasons Grant is the last guy in the world to be asking the Maloofs tough questions.

Gary

All-Star
Yah, while I am still skeptical regarding the Maloofs, and will keep them at arms length I will welcome them back if it means keeping the Kings here.. but I would also remind them that there is business that needs to be done.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yah, while I am still skeptical regarding the Maloofs, and will keep them at arms length I will welcome them back if it means keeping the Kings here.. but I would also remind them that there is business that needs to be done.
Yep, thats the question I want asked. What are their plans for improving the team in the offseason? Are they willing to spend money? Hey, how about a small reduction in ticket prices.

The prices started to get ridiculously low. I had quarter season passes and it kinda burned me up to see them making such awesome deals and I was stuck pre paying full price. No matter, I plan on going to as many games as I can - I must support my SACRAMENTO Kings! :)

This is a bunch of nonsense. I appreciate the team staying, but I don't believe much of anything Joe Maloof is saying right now. Please don't insult my intelligence.

But what do you expect them to say? We all wanted them to come out and say what we're hearing right now.
I appreciate what he is saying!! But he makes it sound like that they made this decision completely independent from any influence from the relocation committee, the commissioner and the league. We know that is not true. Because if it was all about the fans, this decision would have been made 10 days ago.

Yah he's saying the right things, but how he's saying them is kinda funny.. "SUUUREEEEEE SURRRREEEEEEE YAHHHHHHHH".

The good thing about all of this is that we have KJ, and people WANT to work with KJ.. It's getting done because this will be the last year the Kings are in town if they don't.

Man that was uncomfortable to listen to. He seemed distracted at the beginning of it

I think towards the end he shared his actual beliefs. I think what he said about us thinking about what we would do in there situation was said poorly, but I get it. I think they were in between a rock and a hard place, but that they didn't go about addressing the public properly during this saga.

I always liked them before they started meddling with the day to day stuff, so I am willing to allow them back in.

This is a bunch of nonsense. I appreciate the team staying, but I don't believe much of anything Joe Maloof is saying right now. Please don't insult my intelligence.

I thought the questions were good and, the responses were "fair".... Not perfect, but fair.....I thought it was a good interview...

I appreciate Joe's honestly when Grant asked if nothing gets done when it comes to getting a new arena by next March, will you again seek relocation? and Joe answered with a "Yes"... I know it's common sense that they will, but glad he didn't dodge the question....

His answers sounds very forced. Like a guy saying a girl is pretty when he doesn't believe so. There's nothing sincere he's saying about thanking the fans.

Only thing of truth is his last statement of "What would you do if you were the owners..." (I'm not sure what he said on this statement, but it sounded very defensive.) lol.

Last edited:
Man that was uncomfortable to listen to. He seemed distracted at the beginning of it

I think towards the end he shared his actual beliefs. I think what he said about us thinking about what we would do in there situation was said poorly, but I get it. I think they were in between a rock and a hard place, but that they didn't go about addressing the public properly during this saga.

I always liked them before they started meddling with the day to day stuff, so I am willing to allow them back in.

I agree. They obviously aren't the best business people, but on a personal level, (and for someone who's actually spoke with Joe). I think they are fantasic human beings....Unfortunantely sometimes the line gets blurred between personal and business...

Wow, I don't know what to make of that. He sounded sincere at times and full of it at other times. I'm very glad he talked about getting free agents and keeping Thorton and Dalembert. That's what I wanted to hear.

and then Joe Maloof's question for everyone near end of interview: "If you owned a business, what would you have done faced with this situation." Prior to that, he pointed out his family had spent "millions" trying to get something done, "over past 13 years." I thought Grant asked good questions, Joe answered them honestly and now as he said, it's time for all to come together and make a new sports arena happen - finally - please - pretty please. Come on Sacramento city - Sacramento region - just do it!

His answers sounds very forced. Like a guy saying a girl is pretty when he doesn't believe so. There's nothing sincere he's saying about thanking the fans.

Only thing of truth is his last statement of "What would you do if you were the owners..." (I'm not sure what he said on this statement, but it sounded very defensive.) lol.
If I was the owner? I probably would have moved the team a couple of years ago, because I would have been flat out sick of the city doing nothing to get a new arena built over the last 10 years....... Business is Business....

I thought the questions were good and, the responses were "fair".... Not perfect, but fair.....I thought it was a good interview...

I appreciate Joe's honestly when Grant asked if nothing gets done when it comes to getting a new arena by next March, will you again seek relocation? and Joe answered with a "Yes"... I know it's common sense that they will, but glad he didn't dodge the question....
He actually didn't say yes. He said probably, but he couldn't be certain until that time gets here.

I appreciate what he is saying!! But he makes it sound like that they made this decision completely independent from any influence from the relocation committee, the commissioner and the league. We know that is not true. Because if it was all about the fans, this decision would have been made 10 days ago.
Pride isn't going to allow them to come out and say the NBA pressured us to stay, though.

I was encouraged after hearing this interview. Grant asked perfect questions, and yes, it was a little uncomfortable at times. However, I believe that Joe spoke from his heart, and I for one am willing move on. I just want us all to work together and get this arena deal done.

Here we PLAY!!!! GO KINGS!!!!!

EDITED: Okay, maybe "forget the past" was a little too extreme. However, I will try... :)

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I was pleasantly surprised by Grant. I thought he asked tougher questions than I expected. He even brought up Kings fans being upset about Laker fans sitting in the Maloofs seats at the final game. As for Joe's responses, I thought he said all the right things, and was uncomfortable at times with some of the questions. He obviously didn't like being asked about Burkle, and almost seemed a little testy, and defensive when asked about the family finances.

As far as what he didn't say. I'm not sure you could expect him to do a total confession. There's no doubt he was trying to put on a happy face, and thats all I would expect him to do. Yes, its not the whole story, but we all know the whole story. He acknowledged that the fans have gone through a hard time, and there were times when I thought he was being very honest. He's trying to mend fences, and thats what he should be doing. As someone once said. "Forgive, but never forget"

I was pleasantly surprised by Grant. I thought he asked tougher questions than I expected. He even brought up Kings fans being upset about Laker fans sitting in the Maloofs seats at the final game. As for Joe's responses, I thought he said all the right things, and was uncomfortable at times with some of the questions. He obviously didn't like being asked about Burkle, and almost seemed a little testy, and defensive when asked about the family finances.

As far as what he didn't say. I'm not sure you could expect him to do a total confession. There's no doubt he was trying to put on a happy face, and thats all I would expect him to do. Yes, its not the whole story, but we all know the whole story. He acknowledged that the fans have gone through a hard time, and there were times when I thought he was being very honest. He's trying to mend fences, and thats what he should be doing. As someone once said. "Forgive, but never forget"
I agree with you. Nice response...Also, I think some people are over-analyzing what Joe said in the interview too much....I would imagine anyway that he's pretty stressed and all....I think that some people have already made their decision up about the maloofs anyway, so that can figure into bias when they listen to the interview as well..... Basically they can make it sound like Joe's answers are bad, even if they aren't bad....

plus Joe said his family had a kind of gag order hanging over them for sometime which is the reason they were not making as many public statements as they wanted to - especially in defending themselves.

If the Maloof's had just come and said something to the following:

Dear Sacramento Kings Fans,

As many of you know we have been in negotiations with the city of Sacramento for years trying to put together an arena deal to keep the Kings here in Sacramento. Arco arena is no longer financially viable for us as a team or a business. We had been dedicated to keeping the Kings here in Sacramento for the better part of 13 years, but the ongoing failures of the city has forced us to look elsewhere.

We are taking a strong look at moving the team because we believe it will be more financially viable for us to compete as a profitable business in another city at this moment. We never wanted to get here, but we feel that we have no other choice. We have always negotiated with the city in good faith. We cannot wait another year and hope something different happens.

We are saddened that this decision is being made, but as much as we love Sacramento and the fans, we also have a business to run and investors we have to answer to. For those reasons alone we are looking into the viability of moving our team to Anaheim.

(some sincere greeting)

The Maloof Family

Obv it would be longer etc. but I don't think anyone would have read that and thought "you a-holes!"

If the Maloof's had just come and said something to the following:

Dear Sacramento Kings Fans,

As many of you know we have been in negotiations with the city of Sacramento for years trying to put together an arena deal to keep the Kings here in Sacramento. Arco arena is no longer financially viable for us as a team or a business. We had been dedicated to keeping the Kings here in Sacramento for the better part of 13 years, but the ongoing failures of the city has forced us to look elsewhere.

We are taking a strong look at moving the team because we believe it will be more financially viable for us to compete as a profitable business in another city at this moment. We never wanted to get here, but we feel that we have no other choice. We have always negotiated with the city in good faith. We cannot wait another year and hope something different happens.

We are saddened that this decision is being made, but as much as we love Sacramento and the fans, we also have a business to run and investors we have to answer to. For those reasons alone we are looking into the viability of moving our team to Anaheim.

(some sincere greeting)

The Maloof Family

Obv it would be longer etc. but I don't think anyone would have read that and thought "you a-holes!"
That certainly would have made a difference in how I viewed them.

I caught the interview, too. Joe Maloof sounded pretty sincere and also pretty worn down. I'm sure those guys are great guys, but they would benefit from having a PR person in tough times like these - at least to coach them if nothing else.

I hope they can get to the table with the City leadership and the other regional leaders and put some basic deal points in place soon. I think that's going to be almost as big a challenge as finding the public source of money to fund the majority of the project.