And the Webber bashing continues...

14. Philly (voted off by Detroit, 4-1)
Here's the funny thing: If C-Webb wasn't playing, I would have picked this series to go seven because of the Iverson Factor. Sadly, he's playing ... and there isn't a more lopsided matchup on the planet than "C-Webb on one leg versus the Wallace Brothers." Philly reader Angela McGurk summed it up best:

"While I was watching the Sixers game last Thursday night against Miami, I noticed that Chris Webber was in the game with five fouls for an awfully long time. I turned to my husband and said, 'It's almost like "Survivor" or the "Real World/Road Rules Inferno," where other teams are trying to keep him in the game because he's such a detriment to the Sixers. He's our version of Karamo.' "

A perfect comparison. If this was the "Inferno," the Pistons would be throwing missions to make sure C-Webb stuck around. That's how much he kills the Sixers. And yes, I supported the trade at the time. It's just that I forgot two things. First, if your coach's defense revolves around aggressive rotations and big men running out at open shooters, it's probably not a good idea to acquire a big man playing on one leg. And second, there couldn't be a worse matchup than C-Webb (the most sensitive big-money athlete in any of the four sports) and Philly fans (who can sniff this stuff out and would much rather break someone in pieces emotionally than support them). This is going to end badly. I mean, really, REALLY badly.

By Bill Simmons on ESPN.com

Note: He also suggests that the Sonics will defeat the kings in 6

While it isn't Chris' fault, and he doesn't necessarily deserve all the negative criticism thrown his way, he really is a poor fit for Philly. The 76ers don't play "smart" basketball. They rebound, defend, and are young and athletic. They don't need a playmaker to find cutters or shoot 18 footers. They need an athletic big man who can play in the post to draw some pressure off Iverson. Dalembert isn't quite there yet. Unfortunately, Webber won't ever be there again. If O'Brien actually took the time to play the zone defense and run some set plays for Webber or even (gasp) more pick and roll offense with Iverson and Webber, things would be much different. Webber would and can succeed in a very specific offense where a lot of touches go through him and there are athetic centers and small forwards who can clean up rebounds. Simmons is right about Philly. I think the Kings are gonna give the Sonics more hassle then he does though.

quick dog said:
Well, the Lakers took Vlade and Orlando took Doug. Maybe Webber will go to Los Angeles?
See both Vlade and Webber in Laker jersey would be truly bizarre. It would be like that Star Trek episode where Kirk gets transported to the alternate universe where all the Starfleet characters are bad guys and the badguy Spock has a goatee.:eek:

C Diddy said:
While it isn't Chris' fault, and he doesn't necessarily deserve all the negative criticism thrown his way, he really is a poor fit for Philly. The 76ers don't play "smart" basketball. They rebound, defend, and are young and athletic. They don't need a playmaker to find cutters or shoot 18 footers. They need an athletic big man who can play in the post to draw some pressure off Iverson. Dalembert isn't quite there yet. Unfortunately, Webber won't ever be there again. If O'Brien actually took the time to play the zone defense and run some set plays for Webber or even (gasp) more pick and roll offense with Iverson and Webber, things would be much different. Webber would and can succeed in a very specific offense where a lot of touches go through him and there are athetic centers and small forwards who can clean up rebounds. Simmons is right about Philly. I think the Kings are gonna give the Sonics more hassle then he does though.
Very well said, it'd be nice if O'Brien could get his head out of his *** to actually play to some of Chris's strengths. The guy was averaging 20,10, and 5 and it was a crime that he was left off the All Star team. It's not like he forgot how to play overnight. It's more likely that alot of fans and members of the media have short memories and don't know enough about the situation before opening their big mouths.

quick dog said:
Well, the Lakers took Vlade and Orlando took Doug. Maybe Webber will go to Los Angeles?
No shot of it whatsoever if Webb's contract runs beyond 2007. They're obviously looking for a salary dump that offseason. Webb would be very well-suited for the triangle offense if Phillip comes back (his passing and elbow J would be perfect), but there's no youth or defense at PF whatsoever so Mitch has more pressing needs than Webb. Mitch is gonna put most of his eggs in the Boozer basket right off the bat. Utah deceiveth about him, I think. The only way he stays in Utah beyond next year's deadline is if they get nothing but lowball offers. I'd love to know the reason behind Larry Miller souring on him so quickly.

IMO, Webb is pretty much untradable...why would you take on his contract at this stage of his career??.....the only team I see trading for him is the Knicks.....and that's only because the ZEKE is their GM.

PixelPusher said:
See both Vlade and Webber in Laker jersey would be truly bizarre. It would be like that Star Trek episode where Kirk gets transported to the alternate universe where all the Starfleet characters are bad guys and the badguy Spock has a goatee.:eek:
"Mirror, Mirror" was the episode, it was a good one too! :)

BullKing said:
IMO, Webb is pretty much untradable...why would you take on his contract at this stage of his career??.....the only team I see trading for him is the Knicks.....and that's only because the ZEKE is their GM.
Webber was judged to be untradable by everyone not criminally insane before he was acquired by Philadelphia. He will undoubtedly remain in Philly for the duration.

hehe...the ironic thing about this article is webber had the best game out of any sixer today, defensive liability or no. he was the only one who seemed willing to play team ball.

Padrino said:
hehe...the ironic thing about this article is webber had the best game out of any sixer today, defensive liability or no. he was the only one who seemed willing to play team ball.
damn, no kidding. what a game. I hope they regroup before the next game or this could be a very short series.