And the countdown begins and other news, rumors, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There has been nothing from our side... It is unnerving when Hansen took some of the momentum with his raise of the bid, yet no spin from our side for 4 days or so.
Well, that's not entirely true. We do have a sign in Times Square repeating a message every 5 minutes for the next 72 hours. :) I'm sure it will get picked up by SportsCenter and the other sports shows. I still trust that Chris Lehane, Kevin Johnson, Darrell Steinberg and all of our ownership group know what they're doing. And sometimes it unnerves an opponent more if you smile and say nothing instead of responding to his every move.

I have faith. I believe that Sacramento and the fans have done every single thing they could possibly have done. #WeAreSacramento and we will be Sacramento.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

Im 99% confident and 1% worried. No way does the BOG favor the slimy tactics of desperate, broke business men over a city that has done everything thats been asked of it and then some. Not with sacramentos prospective ownership group. In the bag.

There has been nothing from our side... It is unnerving when Hansen took some of the momentum with his raise of the bid, yet no spin from our side for 4 days or so.
After the stunt that the maloofs pulled i dont blame our ownership group. The ball is in our court now and there it shall stay until the right moment.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
After the stunt that the maloofs pulled i dont blame our ownership group. The ball is in our court now and there it shall stay until the right moment.
Yep, let the clock wind down. The ball is in KJ's hands and he'll take the last shot for the win. #WeAreSacramento

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dale Kasler, Ryan Lillis and Tony Bizjak have a great article in the Bee today that helps clarify Vivek's vision for the Kings:

The Sacramento Kings won't be a small-market team anymore if Vivek Ranadive has his way.

The Silicon Valley software tycoon, who is leading the investor group trying to keep the Kings in Sacramento, laid out an ambitious vision Monday for transforming the woebegone franchise into a "global brand" that would extend the NBA's reach into China and his native India.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/15/53...der-ranadive.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And from Ailene Voisin:

Ailene Voisin: Fight for Kings puts city in a new light

You knew it had to be hiding around here somewhere. The resilience. The sophistication. The nasty streak. The toughness. The ability to attract some of the brightest minds and wealthiest investors in California, sketch out a massive downtown arena project, and then launch a forceful counterattack to preserve and protect the community's only major professional sports franchise.

The Kings are the story this week, but only part of the story. Win, lose, expansion – Sacramento is the story.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/16/5344687/ailene-voisin-fight-for-kings.html#storylink=cpy

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Is there a definite time that a decision will be made? Since the Anaheim fiasco, this really would feel like winning a championship.
David Stern warned that the decision might not be forthcoming until some time after the two days of meetings BUT that was before they scheduled a special meeting for Wednesday. It would be incredible if the announcement came Wednesday afternoon, so that Kings fans could celebrate WITH the team at the game Wednesday night.

I feel good. Sacramento has done everything it possible could to keep the Kings over the last 3 years. I believe we've shown our pride, our love for our city and team and surprised people everywhere with our determination and never say die attitude.

Am I still nervous. Yes. We are seeing it from the viewpoint of what would be the most ethical decision that the owners could make. But I am ever aware that many of them will see this as merely a business decision and there could be a closing of ranks by owners that don't think anybody should tell them what they can do with their team/business.

As I explained to someone once, never confuse democracy with capitalism. Democracy is a governance system that was founded on beliefs, of our founders, in certain moral and ethical values. Capitalism, on the other hand, is an economic system devoid of any moral beliefs. The only guiding value to capitalism is money and getting more of it than anyone else, by any means. I am not going to forget that owners of sports teams are almost all )Maloofs excepted) superlative capitalists. That doesn't mean that they are all unethical, unfeeling or have no moral values. It just means that if they see this as primarily a business decision, Sacramento could lose.

My stomach is in knots. As VF reminded us, though, Boston reminds us of all that is most dear. But I love my city and I selfishly want this for my family's future and Sacramento's. We will have to live with the decision for many years, whichever way it goes. I want to celebrate Sacramento's future..

Last edited by a moderator:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
ROOT Sports is all of the Pac-NW region (also gets a very large chunk of the Portland Timbers, which is fun/funny/moronic having rival sports teams share a home network). The Blazers have their own station Comcast NW SportsNet and its likely the Sonics would make their own network in the same fashion.

However in the old days I do believe the Sonics were on the Fox Sports station that eventually became Root.

ROOT Sports is all of the Pac-NW region (also gets a very large chunk of the Portland Timbers, which is fun/funny/moronic having rival sports teams share a home network). The Blazers have their own station Comcast NW SportsNet and its likely the Sonics would make their own network in the same fashion.

However in the old days I do believe the Sonics were on the Fox Sports station that eventually became Root.
I was curious/hopeful that the arrangement between the Mariners and DirecTV could help put a dent in the Seattle group TV revenue projections. I was under the impression that there was some animosity between the wannabe sonic group and the Mariners. I wouldn't think that the Mariners would want to help bring the sonics back (i.e. more competition).

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 5m
RT @dakasler: Mayor indicates no match of higher Hansen bid

Aaron Bruski Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 6m
RT @dakasler: Mayor says written bid for #NBAKings will be sent to league Wednesday

Aaron Bruski Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 21m
RT @jonhumbert: BREAKING: Mayor McGinn says *no* relocation vote Friday. David Stern told him personally on the phone. #nbaseattle
Looks like we are going to have to wait a bit longer.

Anyone else concerned that the Sacramento group still refuses to "match" the Hansen bid? This whole time KJ has kept using the word "competitive" throughout the bidding process, and the only response we have heard from stern was Sacramento's bid was "not comparable" despite KJ running around claiming our bid is "competitive".

We still don't even have any assurances KJ's team will match Hansen's original 525 bid, and now it seems they definitely won't match the 550 bid.

What is the point of all of this work and all of this campaigning if our groups seems willing to risk a small item like matching the bid when so much is at stake? It just doesn't make sense to me to leave anything to chance.

I was curious/hopeful that the arrangement between the Mariners and DirecTV could help put a dent in the Seattle group TV revenue projections. I was under the impression that there was some animosity between the wannabe sonic group and the Mariners. I wouldn't think that the Mariners would want to help bring the sonics back (i.e. more competition).
Read somewhere that the future Sonics would be on FSN [Fox Sports North]. Is this the same as RootSports?

Anyone else concerned that the Sacramento group still refuses to "match" the Hansen bid? This whole time KJ has kept using the word "competitive" throughout the bidding process, and the only response we have heard from stern was Sacramento's bid was "not comparable" despite KJ running around claiming our bid is "competitive".

We still don't even have any assurances KJ's team will match Hansen's original 525 bid, and now it seems they definitely won't match the 550 bid.

What is the point of all of this work and all of this campaigning if our groups seems willing to risk a small item like matching the bid when so much is at stake? It just doesn't make sense to me to leave anything to chance.
not at all

Hansen's official bid to the NBA is $525 and was "voluntarily" raised to $550 to "show continued support" to get a team in Seattle, which is obvious BS as this was done a day after Steinberg came out and said they were matching $ for $.

KJ and the investment group are following Stern's lead. They've been in contact with both the NBA office and the Maloofs (from previous reports), so I'm absolutely sure they wouldn't be extending the vote a week or two because the bid is still not comparable.

Don't sweat the bid, it all hinges on the arenas now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Apparently, there is a rumor than David Stern told Seattle's mayor they will not be voting for another week or two.
If true, this is good for us, not so good for Seattle. Of course, the wait may do us all in.

There is another way to look at this. Stern might be saying that, knowing full well there are some backroom negotiations taking place that could change everything. The longer this all lasts, the more I'm sure expansion will be the ultimate peacemaker. Seattle will get a brand-new team they can use to resurrect their Sonics and we keep OUR Kings.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

It's not like we're doing this blind. I'm led to understand that KJ is in communication with Stern basically on a daily basis. Unless Stern is deliberately leading us astray now after all of the times he could have before but didn't, then we're OK, and matching the bid isn't going to matter.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer

Chill grasshopper. KJ and the buyers have been in constant contact with the NBA and keep repeating that they will do everything the NBA asks. The Maloofs are not in the drivers seat. The Hedge fund Pirate and his mates are not in the drivers seat. The NBA is in the drivers seat. If they did not respond to Capt. hansen rasing his bid it is beceasuse the NBA and the attorneys said not to.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Not true. While Stern originally said the bid was not competitive, he made it clear in his last presser that money was no longer an issue. It's not a bidding war. if it was just about money, it would be over by now.

Well KJ does seem confident. Problem is we’re on the outside looking in and get most of our information from some who are close to scene. Unfortunately close but not really inside. Every day it seems that another shoe drops. I’m so nervous that I’ve stopped drinking beer and have turned to the Irish for a quick pick me up. Trying to stay positive I have a bottle of the bubbly in the fridge all ready to pop when we hear those magic words from the commish. “The Kings are staying in Sacramento!