And the answer is... WE WIN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Maloofs have a couple of days left. Stern allowed them to save face by being very diplomatic in his presser, as did KJ. At this point, all we have to do is wait for the inevitable to happen.

Vivek said his lawyers and the Maloof lawyers have been working for weeks. We'll have a final answer before too much longer, but we don't have to hold our breaths.

As elated as I am right now, I am super cranky. I think all this BS for the last few months/years have wore on me more than I realized. I expected to feel euphoric, but I feel run down. Sorta odd.

My immediate reaction too, but consider this possibility: the NBA wants to avoid a lawsuit. They want to continue to dangle the carrot out in front of Seattle. So, once the tally is clearly going one way, a few owners slide over to pump up the nays to keep the Seattle group thinking its offer was heavily considered and that its future prospects are good.
well, the word outta dallas was that the nba discussed relocation with a $625 million franchise valuation in mind, given seattle's most recent "bid." my guess is that HBN's voluntary increase of the total purchase price managed to sway a few owners (perhaps some of the newer crop who have not yet established loyalty to the league's process or ideology)...

well, the word outta dallas was that the nba discussed relocation with a $625 million franchise valuation in mind, given seattle's most recent "bid." my guess is that HBN's voluntary increase of the total purchase price managed to sway a few owners (perhaps some of the newer crop who have not yet established loyalty to the league's process or ideology)...
This, and the $4M bribe to the owners, I mean $116M relocation fee, probably swayed the greedier ones.

This, and the $4M bribe to the owners, I mean $116M relocation fee, probably swayed the greedier ones.
indeed. had forgotten about that...

in the end, i don't know what the surprise is all about. 22-8 is a landslide victory. the kings only needed 8 votes to block relocation. they got 22. the maloofs voted in favor. paul allen voted in favor (and he has consistently maintained that he supports HBN's efforts). so that leaves only 6 owners who were swayed by the money, in a room full of very, very rich people. not bad, if you ask me...

indeed. had forgotten about that...

in the end, i don't know what the surprise is all about. 22-8 is a landslide victory. the kings only needed 8 votes to block relocation. they got 22. the maloofs voted in favor. paul allen voted in favor (and he has consistently maintained that he supports HBN's efforts). so that leaves only 6 owners who were swayed by the money, in a room full of very, very rich people. not bad, if you ask me...
I don't think it had to do with the extra money. While I am sure an extra 4 million dollars is nice for these guys, the loyalty shown is likely more valuable. Paul Allen + whoever else who voted for relocation most likely were just voting along "party lines". I really wouldn't expect such a lopsided vote if there were any real disagreements from the group.

I don't think it had to do with the extra money. While I am sure an extra 4 million dollars is nice for these guys, the loyalty shown is likely more valuable. Paul Allen + whoever else who voted for relocation most likely were just voting along "party lines". I really wouldn't expect such a lopsided vote if there were any real disagreements from the group.
$4 million wouldn't. but considering a franchise valuation of $625 million on top of that $4 million might..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
stevelarge_cbs13 ‏@largesteven 6m

George Maloof tells me he asked to have process finalized in 24-48 hours. Says he still needs to talk to Chris Hansen.

$4 million wouldn't. but considering a franchise valuation of $625 million on top of that $4 million might..
The $625 valuation is still there. I don't see any reason why it goes away because relocation is denied. That's the figure any team wanting to move should expect now (from the H&B group at least).

Not a big deal, but did anyone see George being interviewed? Some bitter Seattle reporter kept pushing the issue of the increased offer, as if accepting a lower offer would be akin to murder. "Surely you won't accept an offer $65 million lower?" (paraphrased). Bitter until the very end. Sad for the good Sonic fans, absolutely thrilled for the ones who've spat vitriol the way of Sacramento and those fighting to keep the team. Karma.

The $625 valuation is still there. I don't see any reason why it goes away because relocation is denied.
No it's not. It's a fabrication. It was floated out there by the party that already knew it had lost. He could have as easily said 1 Billion. The signed agreement that was sent to the NBA was for a $525M valuation. Additionally, as has been said before, that valuation was for a franchise that could be relocated. Since this team can no longer be relocated, any inflated valuation is a mirage.

The $625 valuation is still there. I don't see any reason why it goes away because relocation is denied. That's the figure any team wanting to move should expect now (from the H&B group at least).
More likely that's the MINIMUM price.... the way he was throwing money around, don't be surprised if the selling team starts negotiating at 800M and goes down from there.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

George Maloof tells me he asked to have process finalized in 24-48 hours. Says he still needs to talk to Chris Hansen.
George wants it done in 24-48 hours?? I thought that was Stern but I honestly can believe George on this as I presume he and the family just want the whole thing done. Getting a record high value can't be disappointing.

No it's not. It's a fabrication. It was floated out there by the party that already knew it had lost. He could have as easily said 1 Billion. The signed agreement that was sent to the NBA was for a $525M valuation. Additionally, as has been said before, that valuation was for a franchise that could be relocated. Since this team can no longer be relocated, any inflated valuation is a mirage.
Which has nothing to do with what we were talking about. This team in Sacramento is obviously not worth 625m, and isn't what it will be sold to Vivek for. That price is 525. But any franchise that is going to be sold to H&B to be moved TO SEATTLE is going to have that 625 valuation.

pleasedon'tsuemechrispleasedon'tsuemechrispleasedon'tsuemechrispleasedon'tsuemechrispleasedon'tsuemechrispleasedon'tsuemechrispleasepleasepleasepleeeeeeeaase

The dumbest of all Maloof brothers claiming that a buyer intending to keep the franchise in Sacramento never materialized is the funniest thing I've read this entire ordeal.

First, Don't you have to actually seek a local buyer before you can accurately proclaim that you were unable to find one?

Secondly, ever heard of Ron Burkle? He inquired about purchasing the team several times the past couple years. He was always advised, unequivocally and defiantly, that the team "not for sale". Did you place a call to him once you decided to go back on your word and actually sell the team? A smart person would conclude not since Burkle became part of the Sacramento group once word of the secret sale to the Seattle group emerged.

Nice try, though.

Which has nothing to do with what we were talking about. This team in Sacramento is obviously not worth 625m, and isn't what it will be sold to Vivek for. That price is 525. But any franchise that is going to be sold to H&B to be moved TO SEATTLE is going to have that 625 valuation.
Gotcha. My misunderstanding.

The Vancouver Canucks owner wants a team up there. Also San Diego has crept in I guess. I was reading something on that! Doubt San Diego would get one because of Lakers territory but it would be interesting to see if they get good ownership there and pay territory rights to Lakers and Clippers
Anaheim is part of the Laker territory but San Diego isn't. The distance from SD to LA is farther than SF to Sacramento. Completely different market. I'm guessing that Vancouver and San Diego are vying for the 32nd franchise assuming they really do go with expansion.

Hansen:

"While we are obviously extremely disappointed with today’s relocation vote and truly believe we put forth both a significantly better offer and Arena plan, we do thank the league and the owners for their time and consideration and look forward to hearing back on our agreement to join the Maloofs as Limited Partners in the Kings."

Status
Not open for further replies.