Anaheim may issue bonds to upgrade Honda Center for Kings

"The agenda contains no additional information. But a high-ranking city official previously said that the Honda Center would need better locker rooms, a sports-training facility and a practice court to meet NBA standards.

The agenda item recommends postponing the hearing until the next regular City Council meeting on April 12 – that decision will be made at Tuesday's meeting. The Kings have an April 18 deadline to decide whether to leave Sacramento

That could mean that Anaheim finally makes money from the city-owned Honda Center. The city only makes money when the arena exceeds a profit of $12 million or more. The city would then get 15 percent of the profits, according to a contract between Anaheim and arena management.

Anaheim built the arena for $123 million. When Anaheim Arena Management took over supervision and payments of the arena in 2003, $42.6 million was still owed. According to city records, there is an estimated $36 million in principal left."

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/city-292820-arena-anaheim.html

J

jdbraver

The maloofs are a disgrace to their father.Destroyed his business and treat loyal fans like crap.

The maloofs are a disgrace to their father.Destroyed his business and treat loyal fans like crap.
I'm the type that thinks that the city of Sacramento treats their people like crap. Don't blame the maloofs for the move. Sacramento leaders need to rid themselves of their cowtown mentality.

I'm the type that thinks that the city of Sacramento treats their people like crap. Don't blame the maloofs for the move. Sacramento leaders need to rid themselves of their cowtown mentality.
Spot on. I am proud to be from Sac and be back living in Sac. But the way things are handled here is really embarrassing and disheartening.

I don't know what people expect of sacramento. This is a government town. Period. Outside of Washington D.C. we are the biggest govt town in the country. And this city (and state) run like our govt. Bloated, Slow, and Wasteful. This city cannot get anything done without burning through miles and miles of red tape. The idea (seed) is first planted and then it is debated to death. Years and years of reviews and consultants. It will be like that until the capital is moved to either SF or LA.

We are Sacramento. We are govt.

Last edited:
It really must be such a relief for the Maloofs to begin dealing with a city that can function and that has vision. You've got to think they feel like a poorly treated spouse who finally meets someone that respects them: it usually spells the end of the marriage.

Personally, I'm happy for them, and since I'm no longer a Sac resident (born and raised there though), I'm actually happy for this orphan franchise. Maybe they'll finally find a good home. It will certainly help the team and the players to flourish. Just hope the fans can be as good (when it was good).

It seems this board is a bunch of Maloof apologists and complainers. People who seem to think the Maloofs are justified in moving the team. All this comlaining that Sacramento is so bad etc etc.

Bologna! I've been living in this town since before the Kings where here. I have never felt like I was treated like crap. This city has it's problems and that is life anywhere. Where I work I hear constant complaining about all micro management and redundancy. People feeling like they're hands are tied and things are more difficult to get done than necessary. This is not a government job. It is just the nature of being a large entity.

It sucks sometimes but what do you do? Find some way to get things done and stick out for the long haul and achive your goals? Or do you quit, take your toys and go somewhere else?
The Maloofs are quitters! End of story. I hope they enjoy they're time in Abahiem. Most likely they will have problems there too.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Double that. It's a government town and that is a factor but there is something in the water that robs this city of big town ideas. I don't know what explains that except perhaps there is no big time imdustry except the almond factory and that sets the tone.

Other cities, like my favorite, Minneapolis, have industry and industry donates money. Want a museum? Pillsbuty, General Mills, Target, etc dumps in a few million apiece. We don't have big time things so we are not big time people.

It's a government town. It's a reality. Heck, even our colleges are not on the national map for anything.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It seems this board is a bunch of Maloof apologists and complainers. People who seem to think the Maloofs are justified in moving the team. All this comlaining that Sacramento is so bad etc etc.

Bologna! I've been living in this town since before the Kings where here. I have never felt like I was treated like crap. This city has it's problems and that is life anywhere. Where I work I hear constant complaining about all micro management and redundancy. People feeling like they're hands are tied and things are more difficult to get done than necessary. This is not a government job. It is just the nature of being a large entity.

It sucks sometimes but what do you do? Find some way to get things done and stick out for the long haul and achive your goals? Or do you quit, take your toys and go somewhere else?
The Maloofs are quitters! End of story. I hope they enjoy they're time in Abahiem. Most likely they will have problems there too.
Ah, but you like it here and many people like it here. I understand that. I understand the appeal. It's why I moved here when I had a choice of all the cities in the country when I came out of the Navy. Free move and all, ya know. But it isn't a city that wants to support a professional sports team. That goes hand and hand with perhaps what appeals to you and used to appeal to me. Saying this city will not support a team just may be more of a statement of fact and choice but it runs against the desire of many to become something different. I did not say "better" but "different" because MOST of the people have what they want. These "MOST" tend not to be writing notes on this forum. We are a subset of the bigger population.

Too intellectual, perhaps but I have pondered this for decades.

I DO think the Maloofs are justified in leaving and that kills me.

It will be like that until the capital is moved to either SF or LA.

We are Sacramento. We are govt.
And once the state govt leaves, then what would Sacramento have? Furlough Friday every day of the week. The place would be a ghost town.

Say what you want about the government, but it's the only reason Sacramento is on the map.

And once the state govt leaves, then what would Sacramento have? Furlough Friday every day of the week. The place would be a ghost town.

Say what you want about the government, but it's the only reason Sacramento is on the map.
Only reason LA exists is because they steal eveyone elses water or it would be a ghost town.

Glen,
What makes you the expert on whether this town wants to support an NBA team? It sounds like from what you said, you don't really want the Kings here any way.

There is one thing that bugs me about this town. There is a vocal minority who complains constantly about any sort of growth, noise or traffic. The people who ran the Cal Expo ampitheatre out of here. Now you have to drive to fricken marysville to see a concert.

This is a medium sized city. I like that it is medium sized. Moderate growth is a good thing. I don't want it to be a small town with nothing but state workers and retirees. Shrinkage will not be good in the long run for anyone who wants to make a living here.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Glen,
What makes you the expert on whether this town wants to support an NBA team? It sounds like from what you said, you don't really want the Kings here any way.

There is one thing that bugs me about this town. There is a vocal minority who complains constantly about any sort of growth, noise or traffic. The people who ran the Cal Expo ampitheatre out of here. Now you have to drive to fricken marysville to see a concert.

This is a medium sized city. I like that it is medium sized. Moderate growth is a good thing. I don't want it to be a small town with nothing but state workers and retirees. Shrinkage will not be good in the long run for anyone who wants to make a living here.
You're pretty wrong about Glenn. There is a vocal minority, but also a silent majority in Sacramento that refuses to do anything. We're trying to get that majority to accomplish anything, really, to try and keep the team here.

The thing about the majority, the people who are happy with the status quo is, they are complacent. They tend to think it will always be there. Those people need to be motivated. Why is it the advertising about the situation has only started now? The thing is, it is up to the Kings to do that. Why should the citizens or government do it? If the Kings really wanted to stay here and make it work, they would have been communicating with the fans the whole time through newsletters advertisements and whatever. Instead the story was that they made demands and stormed out of meetings. Either the Maloofs never wanted to be here or they are incompetent.

Last edited:
The thing about the majority, the people who are happy with the status quo is, they are complacent. They tend to think it will always be there. Those people need to be motivated. Why is it the advertising about the situation has only started now? The thing is, it is up to the Kings to do that. Why should the citizens or government do it? If the Kings really wanted to stay here and make it work, they would have been communicating with the fans the whole time through newsletters advertisements and whatever. Instead the story was that they made demands and stormed out of meetings. Either the Maloofs never wanted to be here or they are incompetent.
You do realize they could have left years ago but they still tried to keep the kings in sac.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Glen,

What makes you think I care what you think?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If the Kings really wanted to stay here and make it work, they would have been communicating with the fans the whole time through newsletters advertisements and whatever. Instead the story was that they made demands and stormed out of meetings. Either the Maloofs never wanted to be here or they are incompetent.
Your inability to understand this situation truly boggles the mind.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sacramentans are comical sometime.

Why on Earth is it the Maloofs duty to stay in Sacramento no matter how they are treated or how things play out. YOU, Sacramento, are the ones who stand to lose something here. The Maloofs will have their team no matter where they go. The fact that they stayed so long, through so many failed efforts, for a solid decade of bungling incompetence on the other side, is testament enough that they wanted to stay. Because they did not have to. Sacramento is OWED nothing. Like just about everything in life if you want something you have to work for it, you have to earn it. Sacramento has always acted like they were special somehow and just were owed this team. This privately owned enterprise that has touched the lvies of so many of its residents. Its really sad. Nobody lost the team, but Sacramento. Nobody made this move happen, if it does indeed happen, but Sacramento. There was no magic here. Flick a light switch, change the attitude of Sacramentans toward the whole enterprise, and everything would have worked out. Nothing magic about it except being bizarrely and tragically out of touch with the realities of the situation. 10-12 years afte the first requests were made, Sacramento more or less left a struggling Maloof family with no chocie. You did this. You ****ed up. And I wish to hell you hadn't. I really do. But nobody would listen.

Sacramentans are comical sometime.

Why on Earth is it the Maloofs duty to stay in Sacramento no matter how they are treated or how things play out. YOU, Sacramento, are the ones who stand to lose something here. The Maloofs will have their team no matter where they go. The fact that they stayed so long, through so many failed efforts, for a solid decade of bungling incompetence on the other side, is testament enough that they wanted to stay. Because they did not have to. Sacramento is OWED nothing. Like just about everything in life if you want something you have to work for it, you have to earn it. Sacramento has always acted like they were special somehow and just were owed this team. This privately owned enterprise that has touched the lvies of so many of its residents. Its really sad. Nobody lost the team, but Sacramento. Nobody made this move happen, if it does indeed happen, but Sacramento. There was no magic here. Flick a light switch, change the attitude of Sacramentans toward the whole enterprise, and everything would have worked out. Nothing magic about it except being bizarrely and tragically out of touch with the realities of the situation. 10-12 years afte the first requests were made, Sacramento more or less left a struggling Maloof family with no chocie. You did this. You ****ed up. And I wish to hell you hadn't. I really do. But nobody would listen.
This quote is rediculous. ANY buisiness that expects to survive needs to comunicate and do whatever it takes to succeed. Especially if the product is bad. It is easy to sell tickets when your competing for championships. This whiny rant is of someone who thinks someone owes him something. No one owes the Kings anything for gracing our presense. It is up to the Kings and they're owners to sell the product and endear the community to them. Any other attutude is useless and will fail.