Al-Farouq Aminu?

I hope the Kings look into this player, as well. I didn't realise he was a free agent when I wrote my previous post below.

I've liked him ever since the 2010 draft. In fact, if Cousins had've gone before our pick in that draft, I was hoping we'd take him.

Good defender and rebounder, is a starting 5 caliber player at the SF spot, and although he wasn't great with the Clippers, he showed a lot of improvement at the Hornets last season.

Someone who would slot very nicely into our lineup.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I hope the Kings look into this player, as well. I didn't realise he was a free agent when I wrote my previous post below.

I've liked him ever since the 2010 draft. In fact, if Cousins had've gone before our pick in that draft, I was hoping we'd take him.

Good defender and rebounder, is a starting 5 caliber player at the SF spot, and although he wasn't great with the Clippers, he showed a lot of improvement at the Hornets last season.

Someone who would slot very nicely into our lineup.
The difficulty is this: we kind of need a SF is both a strong defender and a good shooter, and yeah, being a bit of a rebounder would be handy too, as having a 5'9" PG and the worst rebounding SF in the game sent us tumbling to the bottom of the rebounding pile again. At least if we leave Reke at SG we don't need the supplemental ballhandler there as well, because pretty soon you are talking about Lebron James as the only guy with all those traits.

In any case, Aminu could, at a lower level, provide the defense and rebounding part of the equation we need. but then of course he's a lousy shooter, so he wouldn't help on that front at all. I guess you could try to start Patterson to balance that out, but still. Alternately we could end up chasing a shooter who doesn't help the defense at all. Finding a guy who can do both is a toughie, although the Granger idea is a possibility now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It will be interesting to see what happens to Granger. His spot in Indiana has kind of been taken over by Paul George.
Its always risky with guys with knee issues, but a Marcus Thornton for Danny Granger swap almost makes too much sense for both sides. They need a scoring SG. We need a defensive SF. What do you know.

Its always risky with guys with knee issues, but a Marcus Thornton for Danny Granger swap almost makes too much sense for both sides. They need a scoring SG. We need a defensive SF. What do you know.
I would make that trade in a heartbeat. I have always liked Granger's game, but felt he was being asked to carry too much of the load with the Pacers. Put in in a role as a player who can focus on defense and look to make the open shot and he would be a nice compliment next to Evans and Cousins.

Huge fan of Aminu. Big, young, great athleticism, top-tier rebounding SF (top 3 this past season), plays solid defense, and doesn't want or take a lot of shots on offense. If he could hit a spot-up 3, he'd be absolutely perfect. Still though, he's young enough where he can make big strides offensively as well

I'd love to see us make a splash and shore up the SF position with him and Korver.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I kind of figure New Orleans to make a pretty hard push to bring Aminu back. They've got money, they have to spend it (there is a salary floor) and it's not like every free agent in the world is banging down their door. Aminu fits them really well. He can't shoot, but Gordon at the 2 and Anderson at the 4 can, and Aminu's defense and rebounding fill a niche that Anderson doesn't really fill.

It'd be interesting to try to make him work in Sacramento (!!), but I'm not sure we have the outside shooting to help the fit.

Hey, ain't it nice to be able to speculate about basketball? :)

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I've thought the exact same thing would work nicely, but I'm just so incredibly scared of Granger's knee. Thornton is one of our best trade chips, and I'd hate to throw him after a one-season zero-games-played contract that makes nearly double his salary. Guarantee me Danny's healthy and I pull the trigger.

I kind of figure New Orleans to make a pretty hard push to bring Aminu back. They've got money, they have to spend it (there is a salary floor) and it's not like every free agent in the world is banging down their door. Aminu fits them really well. He can't shoot, but Gordon at the 2 and Anderson at the 4 can, and Aminu's defense and rebounding fill a niche that Anderson doesn't really fill.

It'd be interesting to try to make him work in Sacramento (!!), but I'm not sure we have the outside shooting to help the fit.

Hey, ain't it nice to be able to speculate about basketball? :)
They are probably moving on from Aminu. After all, they still had a team option to bring him back and let him become an UFA. Doesn't exactly scream "We Love Aminu!!!!"

Best part of Aminu is he's still only 22 years old and showing signs having elite skills in the areas we desperately need (Rebound and defense). I'll gladly sacrifice some floor spacing to get the upgrades that Aminu would instantly bring

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
They are probably moving on from Aminu. After all, they still had a team option to bring him back and let him become an UFA. Doesn't exactly scream "We Love Aminu!!!!"

Best part of Aminu is he's still only 22 years old and showing signs having elite skills in the areas we desperately need (Rebound and defense). I'll gladly sacrifice some floor spacing to get the upgrades that Aminu would instantly bring
The Hornets turned that option down before the season, and then Aminu went out and earned 5 MPG more as a lame duck than he had earned the season before.

I don't understand why you believe that the Hornets, who have had Aminu for the last two seasons and should have pretty much the best take on Aminu that exists, don't like him, but you think he has elite skills. That doesn't make any sense.

Aminu is an interesting name.

I'd also give Corey Brewer some consideration. He's a very good defender, and has more offensive skills than Aminu (and on the flip side, isn't as good a rebounder). Brewer is the better player right now, and I think this team is ready to win.

The Hornets turned that option down before the season, and then Aminu went out and earned 5 MPG more as a lame duck than he had earned the season before.

I don't understand why you believe that the Hornets, who have had Aminu for the last two seasons and should have pretty much the best take on Aminu that exists, don't like him, but you think he has elite skills. That doesn't make any sense.
Doesn't matter. Hornets blew their chance to retain rights for him. If Aminu wants to leave, he can with no restraint.

Also, showing signs of elite skills is far difference from having elite skills. Aminu is player oozing with potential, but would be a valuable asset if he brought the same skill level he is now the next 5 years. Personally, I think players in that mold are great investments.

That knee scares the living daylight out of me. He had knee issues coming out of college, hence the reason why he slipped so much in the draft but, part of me would still take a chance, while the other part would stay as far away as possible.

Pre the knee issues of this season Granger would have been just about a perfect SF fir this team.

What about Marvin Williams? He's a fair scorer, good rebounder, and great defender. He's big enough to play some stretch 4 (6'9, 245 LBS), and he's a decent jumpshooter. Would a Thorton/Williams straight up work? Jazz would get some needed jumpshooting, and we'd fix up our SF spot.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Aminu is player oozing with potential, but would be a valuable asset if he brought the same skill level he is now the next 5 years. Personally, I think players in that mold are great investments.
I just don't understand why you are so confident that the Hornets don't think that. I think there's a big difference between the Aminu whose 4th-year option they didn't pick up last October and the Aminu of today. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not willing to put so much weight on a decision that was made a full season ago. You believe he's got value, I believe he's got value, and I'd bet the Hornets believe he's got value - and they have the incumbent's edge and cap space which gives them a leg up on signing him.

I'm actually about to do another one of my long "How to Improve the Team in the Future" threads in the next few days and Granger was part of the equation. I suggested we trade Thornton and Hayes, Outlaw, or Fredette for Granger during the offseason. Now, I understand where many of you are coming from with regards to his knee. I look at it as a win for us regardless of how Granger turns out.

First off, when I spoke with the Inidana Pacer's forum they were most interested in a Thornton and Fredette deal so let's use this package as the example. If we were to trade these two players away, we would finally free up our log jam at the guard position. We would have Thomas, Evans, and Salmons at the 1 and 2 (if we don't resign Douglas). Evans can finally settle into his natural position and get consistent minutes. In return for Thornton and Fredette, we receive Granger. Before injury, Granger was an all-star SF. He has size, length, and athleticism at the SF position. In addition, he could defend, knock down threes, pass, rebound, and score off the dribble. If he could return to his pre-injury form, that would be great! If he could play defense, rebound, and knock down threes, that would also be great! If it turns out his knee has severely limited his abilities and he is no longer a starting caliber SF, then it still works out.

Let me explain before you get your panties in a bunch. We will have 14 mil coming off the books for the 2014 offseason vs. keeping Thornton and Fredette for another season (10 mil on the books). We also could not pick up Salmons' option for the 2014 season which would bring another 7 mil off the books. We would shed a total of 21 mil in contracts that year. There are many good free agent SFs available in the 2014 offseason (Deng, Iguodala - if he decides not to terminate his contract, Kirilenko, C. Butler, Ariza, Marion, M. Williams, World Peace, Battier, and Granger - if we want to resign him). My first choice would be Deng, but there are many starting caliber SFs in that bunch that would look good in a Kings uniform.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Doesn't matter. Hornets blew their chance to retain rights for him. If Aminu wants to leave, he can with no restraint.

Also, showing signs of elite skills is far difference from having elite skills. Aminu is player oozing with potential, but would be a valuable asset if he brought the same skill level he is now the next 5 years. Personally, I think players in that mold are great investments.
I'm not a fan of Aminu. I didn't like him in college, and so far he hasn't done anything to change my mind. Personally, unless its a player I draft, I'm sick of picking up other teams droppings and trying to rehab them into what we need. James Johnson is dripping with potential, and how did that turn out. If were going after a veteran player, then I want one that has already proven himself. For instance, I'd do the Thornton for Granger trade in a heartbeat. I know what Granger can do. At least when he's healthy. Aminu couldn't shoot the rock in college, and he hasn't improved much in the NBA. He's a very good athlete, but so is JJ. So what? Korver I like, because once again, I know what he can do, and so does he!

We can add youth and athleticism with potential through the draft. But what this team needs is proven veteran players to provide example, and leadership. So lets quit thinking small, and go after someone that brings significant impact to the team.

I'm not a fan of Aminu. I didn't like him in college, and so far he hasn't done anything to change my mind. Personally, unless its a player I draft, I'm sick of picking up other teams droppings and trying to rehab them into what we need. James Johnson is dripping with potential, and how did that turn out. If were going after a veteran player, then I want one that has already proven himself. For instance, I'd do the Thornton for Granger trade in a heartbeat. I know what Granger can do. At least when he's healthy. Aminu couldn't shoot the rock in college, and he hasn't improved much in the NBA. He's a very good athlete, but so is JJ. So what? Korver I like, because once again, I know what he can do, and so does he!

We can add youth and athleticism with potential through the draft. But what this team needs is proven veteran players to provide example, and leadership. So lets quit thinking small, and go after someone that brings significant impact to the team.
Aminu has actually proved something in the NBA though. He was one of the top rebound SF's last season, he showed signs of being a great defensive player, and other than his lack of a jumper, he was a passable offensive player. JJ is none of those things while being a bad teammate on top of it.

I just don't understand why you are so confident that the Hornets don't think that. I think there's a big difference between the Aminu whose 4th-year option they didn't pick up last October and the Aminu of today. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not willing to put so much weight on a decision that was made a full season ago. You believe he's got value, I believe he's got value, and I'd bet the Hornets believe he's got value - and they have the incumbent's edge and cap space which gives them a leg up on signing him.
Perhaps they do. But they can't do anything if Aminu wants to leave. That's the point I'm making. I obviously have no idea if what the Hornets think of Aminu or what Aminu wants to do. Aminu is in total control of his future which doesn't give the Hornets a leg up on anything

I would do the MT trade even without a guarantee on Granger's knee and EXPIRING contract.

While MT may be the team's best non-Cuz/Reke trade piece. he isn't exactly a bargain.
He's a volume scorer paid appropriately for a player entering his prime. Between IT and Jimmer, the Kings can replicate or come close to that production, with a fraction of the cost.

Draft a young SF as a fallback for Granger, and the team will be in a position to improve and set up for a great run the next year.

it's really hard to overstate how bad a shooter Aminu is. his best shot is an incredibly ugly midrange jumper off the dribble and isn't all that reliable either. now, if you want to keep Tyreke, you better get some shooting at the wing positions, because having two harmless shooters there is a recipe for disaster, unless you're a freakishly good defensive team with incredible interior scoring, like the Grizzlies are and we aren't, so it'd be better to keep well away. yes, Ppat would alleviate some of the spacing concerns, but that just isn't enough, not in today's overload defense days.

There's another SF prospect who we should consider: Chase Budinger. He's an athletic, consistent, great defender who can shoot the lights out and finish above the rim. He knows his role on offense, and is willing to defer to the stars. Any takers?

There's another SF prospect who we should consider: Chase Budinger. He's an athletic, consistent, great defender who can shoot the lights out and finish above the rim. He knows his role on offense, and is willing to defer to the stars. Any takers?

I like Budinger. Solid player and definitely an option, but I like Aminu more.

Although I am interested in having Budinger simply to have a King doing SOMETHING at All-Star Weekend.