Adiós, Seth

With the Kings rescinding your qualifying offer, you are likely taking your game to another team. I appreciate the skillset you brought to our team last year, under trying circumstances. I was looking forward to you having a breakout season with the Kings this year but, alas, that is not to be. Nevertheless, I'm confident you will find success in the NBA and I look forward to rooting for you (when you're not playing against the Kings)!
Adiós, Seth.

I'm fine with this, just like I was fine to send Ray to the Spurs. What could we of got back in a "Sign & trade?" Nothing, or top 55 protected second maybe.

He's letting him go to do right by him and allow him to take whatever opportunity he likes.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I hope to see him prosper elsewhere so we can maybe look back one day and say "what if"...not saying he will make us say that, but it would be cool to say that because it's happened all too often.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
With the Kings rescinding your qualifying offer, you are likely taking your game to another team. I appreciate the skillset you brought to our team last year, under trying circumstances. I was looking forward to you having a breakout season with the Kings this year but, alas, that is not to be. Nevertheless, I'm confident you will find success in the NBA and I look forward to rooting for you (when you're not playing against the Kings)!
Adiós, Seth.
Word is that his agent asked the Kings to rescind the offer, and they did so.

Sucks.. Hate to see you go Seth! You had a great fanbase here and could have played in a new arena with sell outs every night for years to come.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks for confirming. Second time Vlade has done right by the fellas. It may not seem like much, maybe the guys won't even notice, but I like the thought that there's a general understanding and respect Vlade is willing to show and treat people right.
I think the culture change we're going to be most impressed with going forward is the difference between General Manager Vlade Divac and General Manager (and Chief Snake in the Grass) Pete D'Allesandro. Vlade is an honorable man and I fully expect him to treat all his players - past, present and future - with courtesy and respect.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm sad to see Seth go, and I guess until he actually signs with another team, there's always the chance we get him back. Unlikely though. I'll miss him and I wish him nothing but the best. Just don't go off against us. Good luck to you Seth, you will be missed.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Temple can play PG... and there are other guards/wings who will bring up the ball before Cousins, so the notion of Cousins playing PG is silly and overreacting. Plus I expect them to bring in another PG.
Joerger's bizzaro Princeton office isn't overtly dependent on the point guard anyways.

Maybe Seth just didn't want to be here. Didn't his agent request the Kings renounce his qualifying offer? For a franchise trying to rebuild it perception in the league, forcing a guy to stay when he wants to play elsewhere is a bad move, especially if its the brother of one of the top three players in the league.

On a team that desperately need 3-pt shooting and who sorely lacks two-way player, the Kings just let their best 3-pt shooter and one of the few two-way player walked for nothing to sign a bargain basement contract elsewhere.

You can't tell me that this team has no use for a player like Curry. Hell, we probably could use Dell Curry. I don't care that Seth wanted the Kings to rescind the qualifying offer, if I'm Divac I'd say, "No. We're keeping him."

If the Kings honestly think we're good enough that we don't need Curry, that'd be worrisome.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
On a team that desperately need 3-pt shooting and who sorely lacks two-way player, the Kings just let their best 3-pt shooter and one of the few two-way player walked for nothing to sign a bargain basement contract elsewhere.

You can't tell me that this team has no use for a player like Curry. Hell, we probably could use Dell Curry. I don't care that Seth wanted the Kings to rescind the qualifying offer, if I'm Divac I'd say, "No. We're keeping him."

If the Kings honestly think we're good enough that we don't need Curry, that'd be worrisome.

(I'm only quoting you because you're the last one to make this kind of comment.)

At some point, I truly hope Kings fans can get over this unhealthy obsession with end-of-the-bench role players.

(I'm only quoting you because you're the last one to make this kind of comment.)

At some point, I truly hope Kings fans can get over this unhealthy obsession with end-of-the-bench role players.
We don't need to we just signed Temple and Tolliver, we can obsess about them as much as we like!

And on a more serious note- Seth shoot 45% from 3 last year and played good defense... if you can get that guy with your room exception- you should do that.

Except he showed in his last 15 games that he has the potential to be much, much more than that.

In his 9 starts last season:

14 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 3.8 APG. 59% TS, 46% from 3.

Yea, small sample size alert, but had he done that the whole season, he probably would have been a 50 million player (ala Jordan Clarkson) For 3 million/season at a position of need, we let a guy who had a great shot at being a quality role player and showed promise helping out Cousins walk for Anthony Tolliver... Who's role on the team can be played far better by Omri.

Except he showed in his last 15 games that he has the potential to be much, much more than that.

In his 9 starts last season:

14 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 3.8 APG. 59% TS, 46% from 3.

Yea, small sample size alert, but had he done that the whole season, he probably would have been a 50 million player (ala Jordan Clarkson) For 3 million/season at a position of need, we let a guy who had a great shot at being a quality role player and showed promise helping out Cousins walk for Anthony Tolliver... Who's role on the team can be played far better by Omri.
Ray McCallum in April of 2015, 9 starts.
12.7 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 4.2 APG. .474 FG% and .435% 3P%

He DIDN'T play a whole season, though. Like McCallum, he played a handful of meaningless games down the stretch in a season already lost and put up decent numbers while doing so. He would be nice to have and bring back at that price, but I know I'm not in love with committing Curry to the role of second string PG like so many seem fond of, nor do I think he's what makes or breaks next season for the team. I also think he's pretty awful as a PG and is better at SG anyway.

Last edited:

If by two way player, you mean a mediocre at best defender who stands out as a breath of fresh air compared to Rondo and Belinelli, then yeah Seth Curry's a two way player.

Ray McCallum in April of 2015, 9 starts.
12.7 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 4.2 APG. .474 FG% and .435% 3P%

He DIDN'T play a whole season, though. Like McCallum, he played a handful of meaningless games down the stretch of season already lost and put up decent numbers while doing so. He would be nice to have and bring back at that price, but I know I'm not in love with committing Curry to the role of second string PG like so many seem fond of, nor do I think he's what makes or breaks next season for the team. I also think he's pretty awful as a PG and is better at SG anyway.
It's not about Curry vs McCallum. It's about Curry at 3m/year vs Tolliver at 8m/year or Temple at 8m/year.
Now I think Temple is a good addition, even if he is way overpayed, because of what seems like panick from our FO (the market seems to calm now and I don't think players like Temple are a hot commodity).
But Tolliver? If we don't trade Casspi or Gay, than this signing is very odd. Casspi can do so much more on the court than Tolliver and can play as a stretch 4 without any problems.

I'm disappointed Curry did not remain with the Kings. He has so much potential. He didn't get enough minutes to display his talents. I wish him the best.