A pretty good video summary of Thomas Robinson's skills and weaknesses

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Drummond posted a 15 point, 11 rebound, 4 block line in high school.
You're way off if you are relying on those numbers. I am not at all sure what happened in his high school career, but by the time he was a sophomore he was averaging 20-15-5-5-7. Then...dunno. Can't find any stats, except for a 2 game stint his senior year where those numbers you posted came from. Did he just transfer aroudn and not play in the interim except All Star games? no idea. But he was a very dominant figure in high school. he wasn;t considered the #1 college recruit in the nation just for having a nice vert.

from the wiki:

Andre Drummond started his high school career at Capital Preparatory Magnet School in Hartford, Connecticut. During his freshmen year he averaged 12.7 PPG, 11.9 RPG, and 6.5 BPG. (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/cI...ketball-winter-07-08/stats-andre-drummond.htm) He improved during his sophomore year at Capital Prep averaging 20.2 PPG, 16.6 RPG, 7.2 BLK, and 4.5 SPG. (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/6H...ketball-winter-08-09/stats-andre-drummond.htm). After two great years at Capital Preparatory Magnet School he transferred to St. Thomas More. At St. Thomas More in Oakdale, Connecticut, Drummond was one of the most dominating centers in high school basketball.[1] He spent two years at St. Thomas More and led the team to the national prep championship in 2011. He graduated in the spring that year.[2]

He was rated as the #1 player in the class of 2012 by ESPN and NBADraft.net, while being ranked #2 player by Rivals.com and Scout.com.[3][4]

You're way off if you are relying on those numbers. I am not at all sure what happened in his high school career, but by the time he was a sophomore he was averaging 20-15-5-5-7. Then...dunno. Can't find any stats, except for a 2 game stint his senior year where those numbers you posted came from. Did he just transfer aroudn and not play in the interim except All Star games? no idea. But he was a very dominant figure in high school. he wasn;t considered the #1 college recruit in the nation just for having a nice vert.

from the wiki:
Ah, I had Googled it and found a site that listed senior year and those were the numbers they had. Feel better about him if he at least did better prior. Would be curious why his senior numbers dipped. I do know he transferred to a bigger program. So not sure if the tougher competition dampened his numbers or if it was a very small sample size.

I take all high school numbers with a heaping grain of salt. But looked them up versus other prospects for another board when I read the 5th or 6th person making an excuse for his production at UCONN.

Drummond posted a 15 point, 11 rebound, 4 block line in high school. Mediocre compared to NBA stars. Shoot, even Kobe averaged 12 boards a game in high school. Not saying he can't develop, just that he hasn't shown us that ability yet. He is going to have much more to learn than most lottery picks. And there have been questions about his desire and work ethic.

Like Brick and I already said, Drummond averaged 20 pts, 16 rebs, 7 blocks, 4.5 steals as a sophomore playing for the varsity. He transferred to St. Thomas More in his junior year, that school has a much deeper team that "spread the wealth around." It's pointless to compare high school stats without knowing the context - a talented kid on a mediocre team is going to put up better stats than a talented kid on a very deep team. Drummond was MVP of the National Prep Tournament and carried his team to the championship (with his defense). You can try to spin it but the bottom line is, Drummond's high school career is nothing but stellar. It has some question marks and it's not perfect, but there's nothing "tepid" about it.

Questions about his desire and work ethic is just that - questions. People also questioned Charles Barkley and Rudy Gay's desire and work ethic. Sometimes those questions marks have legs, sometimes they are completely off the mark. Again, a player should be judged on the whole body of works, not just one or two attributes.

And I don't think throwing out my odds are unreasonable. It's my projection, not some advanced statistic I am trying to quote. And I think there is a less than 25-30% chance Drummond becomes a star player of Bynum's caliber. I don't claim to be any final authority on this. I would ask you though, do you understand how you sound when you say that my odds are somehow ridiculous compared to yours? Or I don't get your point just because I don't agree with it. I understand you don't agree with me. Fair enough. Doesn't make you dumb or unable to comprehend my brilliance. Just means we are looking at something very subjective and interpreting it differently.

And Bynum is a good defender. Struggles on the pick and role, but he is long, plays solid man D and blocks about 2 shots per game. And Swift was more of a PF, but was another player drafted for his great physical traits for his position. But his low basketball IQ, prevented him from being a very effective player, even in the years he got a lot of minutes and put up some stats. I am not saying Drummond will be identical to Swift, but could have a similar impact (or lack thereof).

Throwing out the Bynum comparison is pointless because no one (not even me) is arguing that he is the next Bynum (nor does he needs to be). Why compare him to Bynum? If he turns out to be Bynum-like, great, but Drummond's expected role is more of a Kendrick Perkins with much more athleticism. If you insist on this % thing, it should be the % chance that Drummond turns out to be the next Kendrick Perkins. By the way, your % keeps changing, first it's 10-20%, now it's 25-30%. These numbers are pointless because you never said what you project Drummond to be. You only said what you projected he won't be.

And yes, Millsap is a good defensive player. He's not a shot blocker (much like Evans and Martin are not), but he plays good positional and help D. If he was on the Clippers last season, they certainly would have played him over Evans and Martin.
Millsap is undersized. You can say he held his own against bigger guys, that he plays hard, and he is smart on defense. What Millsaps is not, is a great post defender. He certainly is not the defensive wiz that the Clips want next to Blake, unless you're thinking of a Chuck Hayes type role for Millsap. In fact, if the Clips had wanted a short stubby guy to partner Griffin, they'd have gone after Hayes last season. If Millsap is on the Clips last season, they'd have traded him for more useful pieces.

The article you posted talked about a lineup used in very specific match ups for 100 minutes. That shows nothing. Just that the lineup can work for 100 minutes. And yes, without an important rotation player the Jazz probably don't make the playoffs. But without Millsap, they definitely wouldn't have made the playoffs. Take Jordan off the Clippers and they are still a playoff team. He had much less of an impact last season. But he still has a lot of potential, if he can harness it going forward.
You're confusing team talent with individual talent. The Clippers have a much deeper team than the Jazz, so they can withstand losing Jordan if that ever happens. The Jazz would not have have made the playoff if any of the key guys is out, they could not afford to lose Millsap just as they could not afford to lose Favors, Harris, or Hayward. If even Alec Burks were to miss significant time during the stretch run, the Jazz would have missed the playoff.

And for the record, I do understand the importance of a shot blocker. I would love to have one on this team to complement Cousins and Robinson. But that doesn't mean that every player who blocks shots is better to have on the court then every talented big man who doesn't block shots. There is a lot more that goes into playing good offense and defense.

Again, not the point at all. No one ever said a shot-blocker must be owned above all else. This is about fit. The Kings need a shot-blocker/post defender and a small forward who can knock down threes (even GP said so). They drafted a guy who can do neither. Nobody denies that Robinson isn't talented or that Drummond has issues. Nobody. But again, one guy clearly fits better and that guy also happens to have a higher ceiling than the one we drafted. I'd have been ok with Harrison Barnes. Both Barnes and Drummond fit the Kings' need and they both have higher ceilings than Robinson's.

I don't throw out these useless %, I will go ahead say it here: I think Barnes will have the best career out of the three (Barnes, Robinson, Drummond); and I think Drummond and Robinson will eventually become useful career journeymen. I don't buy that Robinson is the superior talent, he has accomplished more in college and he's more NBA ready for so', but he is not the superior talent here. The Kings drafted for NBA readiness and a safety pick over taking a more talented player who needs more nurturing, that's is what I have a problem with.

Now, if TRob turns into an All-Star, I'll happily admit that I'm wrong. Happily.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think you guys are arguing about the wrong thing with Drummond. No one questions his ability. I haven't heard one scout talk about his lack of ability. Its his continual disappearance in games that frustrates everyone. I watched him in highschool and I was blown away at times with his athleticism and ability. And then I also saw him become a spectator time and time again. Why and how, did he get outplayed by Royce White, a 6'8" PF, in the biggest game of Drummonds life thus far? He wasn't just outplayed, he was humiliated.

Now if that was the only example I could find, then it wouldn't be that big a deal. I could just chalk it up to nerves or getting up on the wrong side of the bed that day. But unfortunately, this has been common throughout highschool and his one year at UCONN. Don't get me wrong. I certainly wish him the best, and hope he figures it out. But personally, I didn't want to be the person that took the gamble on him.

I read this whole thread and had to join because of it. I have seen every game that Thomas Robinson has played in college. The ceiling talk with Robinson is, to me, this imaginary perceived thing that is different in everybody's mind.

As for KU fans, if let's say we could hold on to Thomas Robinson to play for our school for the next ten years or have Andre Drummond I think we'd all take Robinson. It will take Drummond years to get where Robinson is right now offensively and Robinson hasn't come close to hitting his ceiling. In addition to this Drummond will NEVER have the rebounding prowess, tenacity and Kobe-esque killer mentality that Robinson has had since AAU. It is special and it is rare. You know who also doesn't have it? Barnes.

Both Barnes and Drummond disappeared for games and did it often. Robinson showed up to play every game. Barnes tested better than anybody at the combine but let's not forget that that doesn't always translate. I liked Barnes coming out of high school in Iowa and KU recruited him but from what I saw at Carolina the last two years you'd be CRAZY to want him over TRob.

Robinson has spent the past three years working with Danny Manning who in my very biased opinion is the top big man coach in amateur sports. He routinely took 3 and 4 star bigs and turned them into NBA players. Players who had no thought of going. Darnell Jackson. Sasha Kaun. Players like that. Heck the Morris twins were unskilled low 4 stars when they got to KU and Manning turned them into lottery picks.

You could see this year, the first that Robinson had significant offensive minutes that he was bursting with all this knowledge and sometimes the way he played you could see it wasn't ironed out yet. He's only played one year of serious time and he's LIGHT YEARS ahead of Drummond offensively.

Please don't ignore that Robinson was considered a good to great passer before this year. Then he started routinely getting double and triple teamed and in the case of one game, quadruple-teamed. The problems with passing are going to go away immediately in the pros.

Robinson's best attribute offensively is transition. Please notice that he was faster at the 3/4 court sprint than MKG, Beal, everybody in fact, but Barnes.

3/4 Court Sprint
Five Best
Harrison Barnes 3.16
Thomas Robinson 3.17
Michael Kidd Gilchrist 3.18
Marcus Denmon 3.19
Marquis Teague 3.19
Perry Jones 3.19

I must also address this notion of height. Please nobody mention height again. How high the top of his head is above the ground isn't important in the least bit, it is how high his hands are above the ground. Until basketball players start heading the ball into the basket height won't matter, length will.

I really think you got a fantastic pick here. He's a great rebounder, offensively talented, fast, a huge leaper, tough as nails and especially a cold blooded KILLER. The kind of guy who never misses free throws in the clutch. And he will bring it every single game.

You won't get that out of Barnes or Drummond or Perry Jones III or Royce White. There are only two players I'd draft over TRob regardless of need and that's Anthony Davis and Beal.

You guys bemoan the fact that you missed out on MKG. Well okay you haven't had a 3 since Artest. You do know that MKG can't shoot, right? Is that what you want out of your 3 a guy who can play defense and score in transition? He has way more questions than TRob and if you had drafted him the other half of this board would be talking about where is the scoring going to come from?

You need a 3. You need a lot of players. You aren't there yet but TRob fills more holes than MKG, Barnes, Drummond, anyone other than Davis. It isn't close in my opinion.

I read this whole thread and had to join because of it. I have seen every game that Thomas Robinson has played in college. The ceiling talk with Robinson is, to me, this imaginary perceived thing that is different in everybody's mind.

As for KU fans, if let's say we could hold on to Thomas Robinson to play for our school for the next ten years or have Andre Drummond I think we'd all take Robinson. It will take Drummond years to get where Robinson is right now offensively and Robinson hasn't come close to hitting his ceiling. In addition to this Drummond will NEVER have the rebounding prowess, tenacity and Kobe-esque killer mentality that Robinson has had since AAU. It is special and it is rare. You know who also doesn't have it? Barnes.

Both Barnes and Drummond disappeared for games and did it often. Robinson showed up to play every game. Barnes tested better than anybody at the combine but let's not forget that that doesn't always translate. I liked Barnes coming out of high school in Iowa and KU recruited him but from what I saw at Carolina the last two years you'd be CRAZY to want him over TRob.

Robinson has spent the past three years working with Danny Manning who in my very biased opinion is the top big man coach in amateur sports. He routinely took 3 and 4 star bigs and turned them into NBA players. Players who had no thought of going. Darnell Jackson. Sasha Kaun. Players like that. Heck the Morris twins were unskilled low 4 stars when they got to KU and Manning turned them into lottery picks.

You could see this year, the first that Robinson had significant offensive minutes that he was bursting with all this knowledge and sometimes the way he played you could see it wasn't ironed out yet. He's only played one year of serious time and he's LIGHT YEARS ahead of Drummond offensively.

Please don't ignore that Robinson was considered a good to great passer before this year. Then he started routinely getting double and triple teamed and in the case of one game, quadruple-teamed. The problems with passing are going to go away immediately in the pros.

Robinson's best attribute offensively is transition. Please notice that he was faster at the 3/4 court sprint than MKG, Beal, everybody in fact, but Barnes.

3/4 Court Sprint
Five Best
Harrison Barnes 3.16
Thomas Robinson 3.17
Michael Kidd Gilchrist 3.18
Marcus Denmon 3.19
Marquis Teague 3.19
Perry Jones 3.19

I must also address this notion of height. Please nobody mention height again. How high the top of his head is above the ground isn't important in the least bit, it is how high his hands are above the ground. Until basketball players start heading the ball into the basket height won't matter, length will.

I really think you got a fantastic pick here. He's a great rebounder, offensively talented, fast, a huge leaper, tough as nails and especially a cold blooded KILLER. The kind of guy who never misses free throws in the clutch. And he will bring it every single game.

You won't get that out of Barnes or Drummond or Perry Jones III or Royce White. There are only two players I'd draft over TRob regardless of need and that's Anthony Davis and Beal.

You guys bemoan the fact that you missed out on MKG. Well okay you haven't had a 3 since Artest. You do know that MKG can't shoot, right? Is that what you want out of your 3 a guy who can play defense and score in transition? He has way more questions than TRob and if you had drafted him the other half of this board would be talking about where is the scoring going to come from?

You need a 3. You need a lot of players. You aren't there yet but TRob fills more holes than MKG, Barnes, Drummond, anyone other than Davis. It isn't close in my opinion.
I don't mean to nitpick, but you should see where we ranked in the league in PPG. Scoring itself is not so much a problem. Scoring efficiently is.

I don't mean to nitpick, but you should see where we ranked in the league in PPG. Scoring itself is not so much a problem. Scoring efficiently is.

I hear that. But is Barnes' scoring efficiency worth the fact that he often doesn't effect the game in other ways besides scoring?

I feel like if all you need is an efficient 3 you don't have to waste a 5th pick on him.

MKG isn't the answer to that problem either is he? Also why can't TRob improve his efficiency? I'm not totally willing to ignore all sides of this, I can see the benefit of MKG. I don't blame Charlotte for passing on TRob and taking MKG or Washington taking Beal. But if you guys had passed on Robinson that would have been a HUGE blunder.

If you had taken Drummond you would have been a laughing stock.

Bricklayer

I hear that. But is Barnes' scoring efficiency worth the fact that he often doesn't effect the game in other ways besides scoring?

I feel like if all you need is an efficient 3 you don't have to waste a 5th pick on him.

MKG isn't the answer to that problem either is he? Also why can't TRob improve his efficiency? I'm not totally willing to ignore all sides of this, I can see the benefit of MKG. I don't blame Charlotte for passing on TRob and taking MKG or Washington taking Beal. But if you guys had passed on Robinson that would have been a HUGE blunder.

The difference with TRob is that he is going to be a rookie coming replacing the most efficient guy in our lineup (Thompson), and into a situaiton where we already have more guys demanding shots than we have shots. He should improve our efficiency, but nearly as much as a player taking over our weakest position and moving into our Top3 scorers would have. Of course that player himself made no sense without other changes to the team, so to some degree this all depends on what others moves are made, or not made.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

If we took Barnes over Robinson it might have been perceived as a blunder on draft night, but if Barnes ends up being the better player than we still get the last laugh. That's really what the draft is about. Perceived value is important if you're looking to deal and/or acquire extra pieces but if you're just going to use your pick to get the best player available, it doesn't matter that much what every other team in the league thinks, it just matters that you pick the right guy. Taking a SF or a defensive specialist would have made it a lot easier for us to fill our holes this off-season, but if Robinson really is the best player on the board at #5 than you live with it and try to fix your holes some other way. Minnesota, Portland, and Brooklyn throwing out crazy money isn't making things any easier for us though.

You guys really need to stop bringing up PPG. We had a ton of possessions last year because we also let our opponents have a ton of possessions. We shot at a pee poor 43% from the field, which is good for 26th out of 30 teams. PPG is a completely meaningless stat because it took us way more possessions to score 100pts than it did other solid offensive teams. We need to stop acting like the offense was fine, because it wasn't. We scored a lot because we gave up a lot of points and had more opportunities. You really think we could just go head to head with the other good offensive teams and come out on top?

MoHawk, great post man. It's about time someone talked some sense about Robinson here. So many guys want some role playing wing player rather than a possible big man cornerstone. I just don't understand why people think we are one SF away from contention. There was no Durant or Lebron for us to choose at SF but there might be one at PF and we took him.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
You guys really need to stop bringing up PPG. We had a ton of possessions last year because we also let our opponents have a ton of possessions. We shot at a pee poor 43% from the field, which is good for 26th out of 30 teams. PPG is a completely meaningless stat because it took us way more possessions to score 100pts than it did other solid offensive teams. We need to stop acting like the offense was fine, because it wasn't. We scored a lot because we gave up a lot of points and had more opportunities. You really think we could just go head to head with the other good offensive teams and come out on top?
I tend to agree with this. The idea that our offense all the sudden got better is false. We ran more, increased the pace, had more possessions, and scored more because of it. But efficiency stats have been posted showing we did not become more efficient. Actually, when taking out our increased transition baskets, the arguments can be made our half court offense got worse. Still a lot of iso ball, mainly dump it in to Cuz and everyone else stick their thumbs up their a** and watch, or intentionally is seemed to work it around and get shots for our worst statistical shooters.

We didn't become some offensive juggernaut though as some believe. Just faster pace, quicker shooting, more possessions, more shots and therefor more points, while not increasing efficiency and getting worse on defense.

MoHawk, great post man. It's about time someone talked some sense about Robinson here. So many guys want some role playing wing player rather than a possible big man cornerstone. I just don't understand why people think we are one SF away from contention. There was no Durant or Lebron for us to choose at SF but there might be one at PF and we took him.
Ah yes, I'm sorry. I should have remembered to say that our problem was scoring efficiently. Oh wait, I did.

The whole point is we really don't need to add more offensive talent - our guys CAN score, and our PPG shows that. What we do need is better offensive efficiency, which comes from better execution and creating better shots. Which is why I don't think we would face any big problem if we drafted MKG (OP said if we drafted MKG half the board would be asking where the scoring would come from).

I tend to agree with this. The idea that our offense all the sudden got better is false. We ran more, increased the pace, had more possessions, and scored more because of it. But efficiency stats have been posted showing we did not become more efficient. Actually, when taking out our increased transition baskets, the arguments can be made our half court offense got worse. Still a lot of iso ball, mainly dump it in to Cuz and everyone else stick their thumbs up their a** and watch, or intentionally is seemed to work it around and get shots for our worst statistical shooters.

We didn't become some offensive juggernaut though as some believe. Just faster pace, quicker shooting, more possessions, more shots and therefor more points, while not increasing efficiency and getting worse on defense.
Not you too rainmaker! DID NOBODY SEE THAT I SAID OUR EFFICIENCY WAS THE PROBLEM!??!?!

SMH.

This stuff really has to stop. There has been absolutely no sign of that. None. From this player.
It's ok, these will probably be the same guys who end up saying TRob is a bust when he averages 15-10-3 in his 3rd season, just because he doesn't have a jumpshot or something like that.

It's ok, these will probably be the same guys who end up saying TRob is a bust when he averages 15-10-3 in his 3rd season, just because he doesn't have a jumpshot or something like that.

You don't have to worry about a jumpshot, it is...strangely effective. The jumpshot he showed all season was something where every time he did it the KU fans held their breath but then he more than often buried it. If he can progress on those lines, and really hit those jumpshots with regularity that is a bump in offensive production and will ultimately help in his post moves. He had never taken those shots before his junior year. We were all leery but it was one of those things where you say no no no no no YES!

His shooting motion is solid and I see no reason why he can't hit pull-up jumpers. I just hope he doesn't fall in love with them.

Really though, I'm not a Kings fan (well, not since they left KC, forgive me for being bitter) so I don't know about your coaching staff. I hope it is solid.

And for God's sake, somebody needs to tell your reporters, ESPN reporters, reporters in general one super important fact.

I'm going to bold this to add emphasis...TROB IS NOT READY TO TALK ABOUT HIS DEAD FAMILY AND CUSTODY OF HIS SISTER. THIS S--- HAPPENED LAST YEAR. STOP ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE IT IS ALL GOOD AND HE IS HAPPY AND REFLECTIVE YOU'RE STICKING YOUR FINGER IN OPEN WOUNDS FOR THE SAKE OF VIEWS. DON'T BE THAT PERSON.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm going to bold this to add emphasis...TROB IS NOT READY TO TALK ABOUT HIS DEAD FAMILY AND CUSTODY OF HIS SISTER. THIS S--- HAPPENED LAST YEAR. STOP ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE IT IS ALL GOOD AND HE IS HAPPY AND REFLECTIVE YOU'RE STICKING YOUR FINGER IN OPEN WOUNDS FOR THE SAKE OF VIEWS. DON'T BE THAT PERSON.
I thought that was pretty obvious on draft night -- I was gritting my teeth waiting for Craig Sager to just shut up already, but telling us that doesn't do any good. Reporters are still going to ask those questions because that's the storyline. The Sacramento media has never impressed me as having a lot of empathy, particularly as it relates to professional athletes. But that's probably true in most cities. He's going to get cheered heartily during the games by the fans though. Hard working players always do.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not you too rainmaker! DID NOBODY SEE THAT I SAID OUR EFFICIENCY WAS THE PROBLEM!??!?!
Yes, I saw it, and thats what ESP47 was referring to. Just because you score more points, doesn't mean you've got your scoring problems solved. Our team shooting percentage was terrible. That doesn't mean we need to just add players that are more efficient, but that we need to rid ourselves of some that can't shoot a lick from the outside. We had at least three guys chucking three's that were shooting under 30%. To my mind, thats a problem. When our two best three point shooters are both rookies, somethings wrong somewhere.

You don't have to worry about a jumpshot, it is...strangely effective. The jumpshot he showed all season was something where every time he did it the KU fans held their breath but then he more than often buried it. If he can progress on those lines, and really hit those jumpshots with regularity that is a bump in offensive production and will ultimately help in his post moves. He had never taken those shots before his junior year. We were all leery but it was one of those things where you say no no no no no YES!

His shooting motion is solid and I see no reason why he can't hit pull-up jumpers. I just hope he doesn't fall in love with them.

Really though, I'm not a Kings fan (well, not since they left KC, forgive me for being bitter) so I don't know about your coaching staff. I hope it is solid.

And for God's sake, somebody needs to tell your reporters, ESPN reporters, reporters in general one super important fact.

Ah I wasn't picking on his shooting. I was comparing the situation to that of Tyreke. You'd have to have been around the board for the last 3 years to know what I meant

Ah yes, I'm sorry. I should have remembered to say that our problem was scoring efficiently. Oh wait, I did.

The whole point is we really don't need to add more offensive talent - our guys CAN score, and our PPG shows that. What we do need is better offensive efficiency, which comes from better execution and creating better shots. Which is why I don't think we would face any big problem if we drafted MKG (OP said if we drafted MKG half the board would be asking where the scoring would come from).
Our PPG shows nothing. Anyone "CAN" score when they get enough attempts. We got IT in the starting lineup and started playing Nellie ball. Instead of losing 85-95, we started losing 100-110. Our offense never got better, they just had more opportunities.

Where is this offensive talent you speak of? Look at the Thunder.....Durant, Westbrook and Harden are all better offensive players than anyone on our team. I'm all for defense like the rest of you guys but people really need to quit acting like the offense is set and there aren't enough shots to go around. Our offense is terrible and needs to be reconstructed.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Disclaimer: I'm pretty fine with the pick.

Moving on, you're silly if you honestly believe that height doesn't matter in basketball. Height makes a huge difference. Put it this way, you give vlade an extra 1 inch of height and reach and he may have been able to secure that rebound instead of tapping it out to Horry. I know it's purely hypothetical and an extreme example, but the point still stands - height matters. Thomas Robinson is as good as he is at rebounding at 6'7.75". He'd be that much better if he were 6'9.

The truth is Thomas Robinson is undeniably a little undersized as a PF in the NBA. It doesn't mean that he won't be a phenomenal player though, but it does mean that his height only serves as a disadvantage in PF terms.
Everyone's height in the NBA is with shoes. And Robinson's height with shoes is a mere quarter inch under 6'9". Same height as Boozer and about 15 other PF's in the NBA. However, Jamal was referring to Robinson's reach as whats important. Barkley was only around 6'5" in shoes, but he had extremely long arms, and was a great rebounder. In the end, it comes down to the individual. Every 6'9" PF doesn't come out of a cookie cutter exactly the same. Just like every 6'8" 250 pound SF isn't Lebron James. So to look at a players height and weight, and them draw some conclusion on what his abilities are is the most ridiculous thing I can think of. And I'm not saying your doing that. But some are, and amazingly, they always pick the most negative side of the issue.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Look there is absolutely no question that Robinson was easily the best available player and a VERY good pick up.

I just can't shake this feeling that this is the same aituation we had with JJ Hickson even though Robinson is a much better defender. Hopefully I am wrong but JJ was not a good fit next to Cousins despite being a good young player and his game is somewhat similar to Robinson's.
Robinson is a very unselfish player, and a total team player. Let me ask you this. How many times did Hickson pass the ball once it hit his hands? Can you truely remember him ever passing the ball? I'm sure he must have, but I can't think of one time. However I do remember him forcing up a ton of off balance shots. My point is, that while T Rob and Hickson may both be athletic freaks, thats where the comparison ends.

He doesn't move, he flies. I mean, he gets ahead of guards.
At 4:04 of the first mix he showed what Tyreke should have. :)
I agree on this one.

This is why I believe TRob can play SF. This amazing big kid is quick, fast, and has motor to stay with most quick SFs in the NBA!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree on this one.

This is why I believe TRob can play SF. This amazing big kid is quick, fast, and has motor to stay with most quick SFs in the NBA!
I think he has the athleticism to play SF, but he still has to work on his skillset. His jumpshot has to improve, and his handles have to improve. But I could see him posting up some of the SF's in the league, similar to what Melo does.

If we were to assume for a moment, that the Kings drafted T Rob with the intention of moving him to the SF position, then resigning JT and pursuing Ryan Anderson makes more sense. I'm in no way saying thats their plan. I would be surprised if it were. Just speculating!

Our PPG shows nothing. Anyone "CAN" score when they get enough attempts. We got IT in the starting lineup and started playing Nellie ball. Instead of losing 85-95, we started losing 100-110. Our offense never got better, they just had more opportunities.

Where is this offensive talent you speak of? Look at the Thunder.....Durant, Westbrook and Harden are all better offensive players than anyone on our team. I'm all for defense like the rest of you guys but people really need to quit acting like the offense is set and there aren't enough shots to go around. Our offense is terrible and needs to be reconstructed.
IMO there really aren't enough shots to go around, but I fully agree that our offense needs to be reconstrucuted. I've also been a long time advocate of acquiring a real 3 point shooter as opposed to the likes of John Salmons and Travis Outlaw, but I think that that's all we really need to be pretty good. You'll always need some tweaks and upgrades to go a level higher but getting a good 3 point shooter and proper offensive system would propel us massively already.

Maybe you didn't understand my original post. I was responding to someone who said that had we drafted MKG, lots of Kings fans would be complaining that he wouldn't bring enough scoring, to which I said that we have enough guys to do the scoring, i.e. we would not have required MKG to give us say 15ppg even. He has a good mid-range shot, and while ideally we'd like to have him hit 3s better I don't think there'd be this huge issue where everyone's complaining about not having enough scoring on the floor. Compare that to the current situation where everyone (including yourself) says that we need more defense.

In any case, we've drafted Trob now and MKG was taken before us so the point is moot anyhow. I simply responded because I don't think Kings fans are making a hoo-ha about Thomas Robinson for no reason (like the poster was implying fans would about any other player)

Bricklayer

The first paragrpah is accurate.

the second you could have made about any young team in NBA history, including those Thunder.

Here are the Thunder's annual FG% and league ranks, with main weapons:

11-12 .471 (3rd) Durant, Westbrook, Harden
10-11 .464 (10th) Durant, Westbrook, Harden
09-10 .462 (14th) Durant, Westbrook, Green
08-09 .447 (26th) Durant, Green, Westbrook

And I'm sure there were people (in fact I distinctly remember them) complaining about how the Thunder's offense stunk and needed to be totally reconstructed. Durant was inefficient, Westbrook wasn't a PG etc. etc.

Our offensive woes will largely be solved by time -- the talent has been there. We're sitting on 3 young guys who clearly could or already have averaged 20 in a season. A little coaching should not hurt.