2023 TRADE DEADLINE MEGATHREAD

Dang. That makes Minnesota and LA better. Fingers crossed that Conley doesn’t help Minnesota that much.
I think we focus too much on the fantasy basketball nature of these moves, rather than fit. It is the same problem done of those bad US Olympic teams had. More talent doesn’t necessarily equal better. LA is a current example- when they got Westbrook a lot of people were freaking out about how good it made them.

Russell makes LA marginally better, in my opinion. But how does a Russell/Lebron/Davis core differ from the current? It is still a terrible fit. One might argue that the switch from Russ to Russell is worse for AD. And they still won’t stop anyone.

The same is true of Dallas. Kyrie innDallas looks amazing on paper. But who plays the wing, or any defense, or even tries on defense.

Conley in Minnesota would be the best fit of all, imho.

I think we focus too much on the fantasy basketball nature of these moves, rather than fit. It is the same problem done of those bad US Olympic teams had. More talent doesn’t necessarily equal better. LA is a current example- when they got Westbrook a lot of people were freaking out about how good it made them.

Russell makes LA marginally better, in my opinion. But how does a Russell/Lebron/Davis core differ from the current? It is still a terrible fit. One might argue that the switch from Russ to Russell is worse for AD. And they still won’t stop anyone.

The same is true of Dallas. Kyrie innDallas looks amazing on paper. But who plays the wing, or any defense, or even tries on defense.

Side note here: This is also one of my pet peeves when it comes to trade proposals that people throw together and post (not just on this forum, but on any forum). A solid 75% of them (AT THE VERY LEAST) are put together with a "fantasy basketball" mindset. But, in reality, none of them ever stand a chance to materialize on the hardwood.

I commend, appreciate, applaud, and thank the 25% who actually throw together sensible trade proposals that don't focus on fantasy basketball implications.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Ugh. Really wish the other teams would just stay away from the Lakers and Westbrook. Let them fizzle out.
This could all be smart gamesmanship by Ainge to get teams with assets to pony up. Gotta figure LA and Minny already have bare cupboards with huge holes to fill and teams in front of them are going "wait, we can beat whatever they've got"

maybe?

Yeah, tbh the most concerning part for me would be if Beasley and Vanderbilt go to LA. I feel like those two guys would be really nice fits and just straight up big talent upgrades over what they have now.

However, I’m not too worried about LA catching us. We have a 6 game lead on them with less than 30 games left in the season. I wouldn’t like to see LeBron/AD and an actual competent supporting cast in a play-in game, though.

D'Angelo Russell makes the Lakers better because they're in desperate need of shooting.

Russell also tends to have explosive games vs the Kings which is probably more important here than how Russell affects the lakers vs the field.

Last edited:
I never understood it either. Their picks are so far in the future that to me they aren't worth as much. Every year they magically have the right combination of assets to land a good piece
Those picks are valuable because of the age of the Lakers roster, n the fact they lack picks infront of it, in a world where the Chet Holmgren-less Thunder are playing .500 ball with a bunch of youngins, the lakers are running on fumes, so to speak. Boston and Philly 2 of the very best teams in the NBA built their squads amassing picks from desperate teams like that.

N I hate to even say it but it sure does appear Anthony Davis has a lot of wear on those tires at the age of 29.

Last edited:
Vanderbilt is not going to be some cheap throw in..Not worried about that at all. Utah is bigtime in the drivers seat when it comes to him, they can just keep him and possibly get even bigger offers during the summer or next deadline.

Teams are very interested in him since the summer.. He was probably 'the last straw' that tilted the Gobert trade, McDaniels was the last untouchable, n so Vanderbilt was the next up.

McDaniels is quite valuable n he's who made Vanderbilt expendable from Minny in the first place, so its just super unlikely Vanderbilt gets traded for chopped liver. This is a young rotation player with upside who might be starter quality.

Last edited:
Yeah I find it hard to believe Lakers get Russell Vandy and Beasley for just russ and those FRPs. Sounds like more hopefully LA media than reality

To be fair, last season, the national narrative would have had you believe we were out on Sabonis and the Pacers were about to trade him to the Suns or Warriors for Ayton or Wiseman only for us to come out of the blue and trade Tyrese for him.
pardon my French, but truth is no one knows sh*t and every player's agent is talking.