[2022] Gone But Not Forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most, I was quite absorbed today by news of the Kings' acquisition of Domatas Sabonis. So much so that I missed the initial reporting on the death of legendary visual effects artist Douglas Trumbull.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/douglas-trumbull-dead-visual-effects-1235174814/amp/

If you don't know his name, you certainly know his enormously influential work in films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Blade Runner.

Trumbull pioneered the modern special effects era with revolutionary in-camera techniques that, in my estimation, still rival the muddy, oft-incomprehensible digital effects of today.

He was a champion of practical effects until the very end.

RIP.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Like most, I was quite absorbed today by news of the Kings' acquisition of Domatas Sabonis. So much so that I missed the initial reporting on the death of legendary visual effects artist Douglas Trumbull.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/douglas-trumbull-dead-visual-effects-1235174814/amp/

If you don't know his name, you certainly know his enormously influential work in films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Blade Runner.

Trumbull pioneered the modern special effects era with revolutionary in-camera techniques that, in my estimation, still rival the muddy, oft-incomprehensible digital effects of today.

He was a champion of practical effects until the very end.

RIP.
Doug Trumbull was an absolute legend. His optical effects work in 2001 and Blade Runner has yet to be topped IMO and probably won't ever be now that digital compositing is the norm. He's right up there with Conrad L. Hall and John Alton and a half dozen other artists as the premier practitioners of celluloid artistry.

May mean little to the US, but Shane Warne, likely the greatest (cricket) spin bowler of all time, passed yesterday (link). He clearly could not go on without my dad's persistent apathy towards his achievements.

May mean little to the US, but Shane Warne, likely the greatest (cricket) spin bowler of all time, passed yesterday (link). He clearly could not go on without my dad's persistent apathy towards his achievements.
RIP to the greatest spin bowler and the greatest captain that Australia never had. Gone too soon like Gatting's wicket.

Vangelis, Oscar-Winning Composer of ‘Chariots of Fire’ and ‘Blade Runner,’ Dead at 79

R.I.P. to a legend, whose work on Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner' remains absolutely iconic, a masterpiece of the form. Upon my first encounter with that particular score, I realized something inside me was forever changed. It reshaped my understanding of both music and film, and I leaned on its courage to in turn reshape my own creative impulses.

Countless electronic artists have been influenced by Vangelis, who did not set out to revolutionize synthesized music, but managed to do so all the same. To the uninitiated, here is some of his finest work:

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
while 67 isn't young it isn't old enough to justify not awakening from your slumber with natural occurrences
You mean 60? And why not? I have a friend whose dad died of a heart attack in his 40's. I have another friend whose dad died in his 50's, I think, from prostate cancer. It doesn't say he died in his sleep, just by "natural causes".

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You mean 60? And why not? I have a friend whose dad died of a heart attack in his 40's. I have another friend whose dad died in his 50's, I think, from prostate cancer. It doesn't say he died in his sleep, just by "natural causes".
He was talking about Ray Liotta.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ah, thanks. He didn't specify, so I thought he was responding regarding Fletch. The point still stands. Folks can die from heart attacks, strokes, cancer, etc., at much younger ages than 74.5 years (for a male in the US).
those aren't natural causes though. Those stem from somewhere. When a 67 year old doesn't wake up anymore, some under lying issue is the culprit more often than not.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
those aren't natural causes though. Those stem from somewhere. When a 67 year old doesn't wake up anymore, some under lying issue is the culprit more often than not.
I'll disagree on what you think "natural causes" are. From LiveScience, but numerous other sources have similar language:

In simple terms, natural causes refer to internal factors — like a medical condition or a disease — as opposed to external factors, like trauma from an accident. In other words, natural causes could be anything from cancer to heart disease to diabetes.

"It just means there was nothing non-natural that happened in [the patient's] cause of death," said Dr. Patricia Allenby, director of autopsy services at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.