2021 NCAA Tournament Open Thread

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
UNC in serious danger of going out in the first round. No Duke, no Kentucky, Michigan State already out...it's looking like a down year for the big-time college basketball programs.

It appears that the answer has been given, but the entire tournament is being held in Indiana this year - almost all games in various venues in Indianapolis, and one venue each in West Lafayette and Bloomington.
Thanks for the information... Obviously I should have never chimed in since I don't know jack about what's going on but here we are

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Colorado has just absolutely taken Georgetown out behind the woodshed. They've hit 11 threes in the first half and have G'Town more than doubled up at half.

Colorado has just absolutely taken Georgetown out behind the woodshed. They've hit 11 threes in the first half and have G'Town more than doubled up at half.
Georgetown quit. Their point guard tried to take the game over at the end of first half, drove into the paint and got stuffed three straight times. Dude is preparing for a 9 to 5 career post Georgetown.

Even when the Pac-12 sucks they show in the tourney. Larry Scott is finally out the door, I hope they get a real tv deal and become a premiere conference again. Also bummed that this was the first Arizona team I have liked in 2-3 years and they self penalized.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Even when the Pac-12 sucks they show in the tourney. Larry Scott is finally out the door, I hope they get a real tv deal and become a premiere conference again. Also bummed that this was the first Arizona team I have liked in 2-3 years and they self penalized.
Arizona self-penalized as a token gesture in the face of some serious allegations from the NCAA. Five Level-1 violations is just huge, and while I've come to accept the NCAA as a spineless organization that won't enforce its own rules** I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona get another year or even two and lose scholarships on top of their self-imposed ban.

**It is very ironic that I despise the NCAA for not enforcing its own rules, because I think its rules are horse-pucky and that whole thing should be re-thought from the ground up. But if the NCAA is going to insist on its stupid rules, it needs to enforce them.

Arizona self-penalized as a token gesture in the face of some serious allegations from the NCAA. Five Level-1 violations is just huge, and while I've come to accept the NCAA as a spineless organization that won't enforce its own rules** I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona get another year or even two and lose scholarships on top of their self-imposed ban.

**It is very ironic that I despise the NCAA for not enforcing its own rules, because I think its rules are horse-pucky and that whole thing should be re-thought from the ground up. But if the NCAA is going to insist on its stupid rules, it needs to enforce them.
I'm not dumb enough to believe they are innocent, but there was definitely some reporting that was flat out wrong and made no sense. Why would Adidas pay to send players to a Nike school, for example? That ESPN guy went all out on the UA charges while ignoring some of the more favored programs that were in far deeper and actually got the players alleged to have been paid for.

That said, I know Coach Book was dirty AF and if they get further discipline they have it coming. What sucks is that the kids this year weren't a bunch of 5 star underachievers like last year's class was, and they get punished.

My other frustration is that had Larry Scott not turned the Pac-12 into a glorified mid-major ESPN folks wouldn't have been so eager to collect a Pac-12 scalp when all the other programs getting the 5-star recruits are equally dirty. I liked the Xavier Sean Miller a lot more than the guy who went after all the one and done talent. I read that the NBA has backed off a bit on ending one-and-done since they opened up the G-League path for guys who want to go pro right away, that really bums me out since NCAA is still going to be the preferred route I think for upper echelon talent.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Oklahoma State roster sans Cade might be the worst group in the tourney. Oregon State is pretty much able to triple team Cade with abandon because no one else aside from Avery is able to do anything.

Would love to see Gonzaga play Oregon or FSU. Oregon will boat race them. FSU has the athletes to destroy Gonzaga's press and offensive sets.