2021 NBA Draft Superthread

Who do you think the Kings end up drafting in tonight?

• Wagner

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Sengun

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Moody

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Johnson

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Kuminga

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • They’ll end up trading the pick.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Process Sixers right? Drafted Embiid after taking Noel at 6 and Okafor at 3. And at that point, those guys still weren't classified as busts yet. McNair went to the same GM school that Hinkie did.
Hinkie was at least overloading on big men, who are a lot harder to find than guards. Using the BPA theory without regard for common sense will lead to a situation of having to explain why a 6'0 guard can play PF in the NBA.

Personally, I am underwhelmed. As I thought I would be if they made their picks and went home.

I am not going to judge the picks yet because I would be doing that out of ignorance. McNair has had two substantial trades blow up. Even if not his fault not a good look. Reserve judgment until the roster is set closer to opening night.

Personally, I am underwhelmed. As I thought I would be if they made their picks and went home.

I am not going to judge the picks yet because I would be doing that out of ignorance. McNair has had two substantial trades blow up. Even if not his fault not a good look. Reserve judgment until the roster is set closer to opening night.
Monte is establishing a pattern. Do a ton of talking to other teams, set the bar high, then drag his feet till the very end. Counter parties tend to run--ATL offer for a first for Bogi, LAL trade, the rumored Jonas Valincunias trade. Milwaukee wasn't on him.

Edit: Analysis Paralysis.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Volblorx8634, post: 1578326, member: 46589"Glad Monte went with who he felt was BPA, now I just hope he was right.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

AND.

Good offensive team with worst defense in the league has two picks. Drafts best perimeter defender and (arguably) best rim protector the draft had to offer. Sounds about right to me.

As for "balancing the roster," is it a concern? Absolutely. But I'd be much more concerned if the season started next week rather than in mid-October. Eager/excited to see what happens!

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hinkie was at least overloading on big men, who are a lot harder to find than guards. Using the BPA theory without regard for common sense will lead to a situation of having to explain why a 6'0 guard can play PF in the NBA.
If Queta going to us in the second round is any indication, big men are no longer as “hard to find” or valuable as they we’re considered during the Hinkie process. (Also loading up on bigs is what’s gotten the Sixers into their current predicament)

Last edited:

He’s had 2 substantial trades blow up? On the contrary, he’s had 2 potential deals in place, IF everything we read was to be believed. Was 22 involved or not because there are 2 conflicting stories.

And explain to me this, how do you get another GM to say yes to a deal? If everything was in place and the Lakers didn’t pull the trigger and instead went in a different direction, how is Monte supposed to make a GM say yes? Drug them and hypnotize them to say yes. Like I don’t get this.

I don’t think bigs are hard to find. I think there are Damian Jones types out there if need be that you can get by with. Plays D and patrol the paint a little. Getting top guards and perimeter guys seems a little more important in today’s game

He’s had 2 substantial trades blow up? On the contrary, he’s had 2 potential deals in place, IF everything we read was to be believed. Was 22 involved or not because there are 2 conflicting stories.

And explain to me this, how do you get another GM to say yes to a deal? If everything was in place and the Lakers didn’t pull the trigger and instead went in a different direction, how is Monte supposed to make a GM say yes? Drug them and hypnotize them to say yes. Like I don’t get this.
I am not blaming him for anything. It’s the perception that I don't like. I also don't know the details. Was the Wizard's deal a powerplay move to get McNair to back down from the 22 pick? I am not certain the Lakers are better now or not. If it was, good for him to not capitulate. There seems like their was a lot of confusion in the reporting as it was going down.

On the other trade, Atlanta was rewarded for appearantly being dirty. Circumstantial evidence but who had the most to gain?

I imagine that there is many a trade that goes sideways that is never reported.

Now for the follow up moves.

I am not blaming him for anything. It’s the perception that I don't like. I also don't know the details. Was the Wizard's deal a powerplay move to get McNair to back down from the 22 pick? I am not certain the Lakers are better now or not. If it was, good for him to not capitulate. There seems like their was a lot of confusion in the reporting as it was going down.

On the other trade, Atlanta was rewarded for appearantly being dirty. Circumstantial evidence but who had the most to gain?

I imagine that there is many a trade that goes sideways that is never reported.

Now for the follow up moves.
I think if the Lakers deal was truly there, the Lakers effed this one up. Everyone knows that Hield fits better then Westbrook.

But teams leverage each other all the time. Look at the Scherzer situation. Dodgers ponied up some big pieces for him and Turner. Mainly because, they are desperate. SF and SD in on Max and then it was leaked that Boston was in on him. Teams leverage each other all the time.

Yeah, I’m waiting for follow up moves too.

Harrison Barnes is a 4 in the NBA. Kevin Durant is a 4 in the NBA. Paul George is a 4 in the NBA. First overall pick Cade Cunningham might play some 4 in the NBA. I think Mitchell could guard all of those guys one-on-one. If you consider that the modern 4 is basically what we used to call a SF, the modern 5 is what we used to call a PF and the old school center is basically extinct with very few exceptions -- I don't think this statement is as crazy as it appears on the surface. I actually think he would fare better against most of these tall 3/4 types than he would against a very skilled taller guard like Harden who has more shake to go with his size advantage.
Durant and Paul George often play 3. The Kings were undersized coming into the draft and are more undersized now. The issue was the team failed to accurately gauge the position and tank after the draft. Compare us to Orlando who did and now have Suggs at the point and Wagner at the 3/4.

the Magic will role into the year now with Suggs at point, Gary Harris at 2, Wagner at 3, Isaac at 4. And yes you go BPA when Suggs is the pick and Hampton is your best player. Not when Mitchell is the pick and Fox is your best player.

Monte has to answer that. He wasn't paid millions to sit there and give excuse like the other GM turned away. He was hired to make the deal. I wouldn't want to hear the same if we are sitting with Buddy and Bagley to start the season.

Sean Cunningham @SeanCunningham
According to sources, former Sacramento State Hornets star Marcus Graves will be part of the Sacramento Kings Summer League team. Graves, 25, has had several stops in the G League.

Mitchell 6'1
Coleman 6'2
Steward 6'2
Graves 6'1

Is there something we're missing?
Why are we looking at multiple PGs when we are overloaded at the point?

Don't worry guys
We can balance it out with free agency and trades (because free agency can help with a glut of guards and the trades have worked so well see Bogi/Buddy trades).
Mitchell can defend four positions.

Last edited:
What was Monte supposed to do? Ask for less so that the other teams take the deal?
It is up to him to figure it out not me. If there are more deals slipped away then maybe his negotiation approach has some problem. Again, I will judge him when the season starts. If we are keeping this cluster of guards still , Vivek would be the one he has to explain to.

I think if the Lakers deal was truly there, the Lakers effed this one up. Everyone knows that Hield fits better then Westbrook.

But teams leverage each other all the time. ....

Yeah, I’m waiting for follow up moves too.
I would find it hilarious to find out that it was a power move that McNair simply said, "you just go ahead and do that." Leaving them with fewer assets and nearly hard capped.

Monte has to answer that. He wasn't paid millions to sit there and give excuse like the other GM turned away. He was hired to make the deal. I wouldn't want to hear the same if we are sitting with Buddy and Bagley to start the season.
Good thing is, it's not the start of season and free agency hasn't even begun. Now if the roster remains the same, I will be singing a different tune.

I read in the Atlantic that all players involved in that deal with the Lakers expected the deal was done. Not sure the pick was part of it. Lakers changed course as is their prerogative.

#3 is your opinion. I’ve seen no indication he got played. You jumped to that conclusion immediately, and without any facts. The report is that everyone was on board with the trade, and then the Wiz came with a better offer. Sucks, but it happens. I will wait for actual facts suggesting Monte got played before I jump to that conclusion.

#1 and #4 are contrary positions. You are simultaneously pissed that the kings let talent go (Bogi) when in your opinion they should have retained the talent, created a roster imbalance, and then try to clear that imbalance by trading Bogi or Buddy (which has been hard so far). But now you are pissed that we drafted a talent who our FO thought was BPA because it creates an imbalance. So which is it? And you suggest our FO can’t figure out there is an imbalance when they acknowledged it in the presser. You are spreading falsehoods.

#3 is a bit ridiculous. I wanted to tank last year too, but you act like we traded multiple firsts. We traded a few seconds and ended up with two possible rotation guys. What are you hoping to get with all those seconds? Probably rotation guys. We were never gonna draft like 8 second round picks over 3 years.

Seems like you just want to be mad. reading your stuff is a waste. You are the guy in the gym who has one move, and you keep going to it over and over. You don’t like Monte. We get it…
Then don’t bother reading it. Block me. Your the guy going for Mitchell can guard the 3 and 4, and you can trade small for big As to your points...

1) I said he let Bogi go for nothing. Given our cap situation don’t you think it might be nice to have that trade exception he failed to get so perhaps you could balance the roster? They aren’t contrary at all.

2) as for the seconds. Multiple teams in this draft traded seconds to move into the back of the first round and drafted guys like Jalen Johnson. You don’t think we could have used Johnson. Instead we traded our seconds for a guy who will now be the back-up back-up point guard.

I’m not mad at all just coming to the conclusion Monte is as bad a Vlade. I got these same type comments from you when I said Vlade was a horrible drafter before the Bagley/Luka pick. You don’t wait for actual facts you wait Vivek to change his mind.

Process Sixers right? Drafted Embiid after taking Noel at 6 and Okafor at 3. And at that point, those guys still weren't classified as busts yet. McNair went to the same GM school that Hinkie did.
Yeah except neither Noel or Okafor were on Fox’s level nor even Haliburtons.

Hearing a draft expert talking about Suggs to Orlando..

They talked about BPA as Orlando had Anthony, Fultz and Hampton. Their comment was “It’s not like Orlando has Fox. In that case you likely go elsewhere.”

yes except I was on board with this trade looking at 22 and was told that trade isn’t happening Monte’s getting played. I pointed to all the news stories.... sure enough I was wrong.

It’s like poker you have to know when your the fish.

I got these same type comments from you when I said Vlade was a horrible drafter before the Bagley/Luka pick. You don’t wait for actual facts you wait Vivek to change his mind.
I get you now. You just straight make things up and pass it as fact. I assumed it when you definitively stated that Monte got played by the Lakers with no facts to back you up, but now I know it.

You NEVER got these comments with me about Luka/Bagley. I hated the Bagley pick and was vocal on this board about it. I was Luka all the way. And I would agree with you that Vlade was a terrible drafter. I never said otherwise. I don’t ever remember engaging you on anything on this board because you seem like a troll, and I don’t regularly post.

But it fits-you make things up to suit your narrative…

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes except I was on board with this trade looking at 22 and was told that trade isn’t happening Monte’s getting played. I pointed to all the news stories.... sure enough I was wrong.

It’s like poker you have to know when your the fish.
#22 ended up being Isaiah Jackson. He wouldn't have been my pick there and I'm not sure he's better than Quetas. And there weren't many wing options available. Christopher, Grimes, Hyland, Tomas and Springer were the next five picks and all are guards. Day'Ron Sharpe went at #29.

Point being, that deal could have amounted to Kuzma, Harrell and a project center or yet another PG or SG, none of whom I'm super high on, especially after the Kings drafted Mitchell.

Harrell is a slight downgrade from Holmes but a decent replacement. Kuzma is a decent stretch four bug doesn't offer a ton else (he's not a great rebounder, playmaker, and is iffy on defense). So I'm not heartbroken that the Kings didn't get those guys.

It wasn't a great deal for the Kings. If it was people's opinion on it wouldn't have been swayed so much by whether the #22 pick was included or not.

But more importantly, Hield is MUCH more valuable for an LA team centered around LeBron and AD than he is in Sacramento. The idea of giving the Lakers a key piece for another title wouldn't sit well with me. I'm happier that they got Westbrook who hurts their spacing more, will struggle off ball with James handling a lot of the playmaking, and hamstrings their efforts to add a supporting cast.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Durant and Paul George often play 3. The Kings were undersized coming into the draft and are more undersized now. The issue was the team failed to accurately gauge the position and tank after the draft. Compare us to Orlando who did and now have Suggs at the point and Wagner at the 3/4.

the Magic will role into the year now with Suggs at point, Gary Harris at 2, Wagner at 3, Isaac at 4. And yes you go BPA when Suggs is the pick and Hampton is your best player. Not when Mitchell is the pick and Fox is your best player.
That Magic lineup has potential but it's not better than ours. Isaac hasn't done anything in the league yet, Harris is no better than Buddy, and the other two are rookies. You also left out Bamba, Carter, and Fultz who are all talented but also young and relatively unproven. I liked Suggs but Mitchell is probably a better fit for us anyway and I didn't want Wagner. We might have tanked and ended up 2 spots higher in the draft. So what? We still have Buddy and Barnes as trade chips and I don't think McNair is looking for more rookies at this point.

You already made up your mind 2 months into his tenure that McNair is a bad GM and you're just throwing anything and everything in as evidence of it now. He didn't let Bogi leave for nothing, he negotiated a trade to get Donte DiVincenzo for him who is a solid player but Milwaukee was stupid and walked into a tampering issue that killed the deal at the last minute when it was too late to negotiate another one. Bad luck for us but we ended up with Haliburton in the draft anyway and everyone is already roasting McNair for having too many guards so I guess it's a good thing we didn't get DiVincenzo after all?

It would have been nice to have an extra first round pick this year but at the cost of rostering Harrell and Kuzma? No thanks. Rebuilding teams pick up players they don't want to get picks then use those picks on upside talent who is multiple years away from helping a team win. We've been a rebuilding team for over a decade and right now we have a star and some complimentary pieces so building an actual team that functions as a team instead of a revolving door of assets feels like a pretty good strategy to me.